Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: New idea for role of home city in multiplayer
posted 02-08-05 02:42 AM EDT (US)   
Hi. this is my first post here. I used to play aoc quite a bit but havent played too much lately. However, aoe3 has me very excited because aok/aoc is absolutely the best game I have ever played and i trust es to make a good game.

now to the real topic i want to talk about here. i think i speak for a lot of agers who play on zone when i say i'm skeptical/worried about the home city concept.
I think that the best way to implement it in multiplayer is for each player to choose techs (for the sake of argument, 3 techs) for their home city before the game in addition to a civ. These 3 techs would be hidden from the enemmy player (kinda like hole cards in poker). This could add a lot of strategic depth. you could either accentuate your civ's strengths or get techs that could allow you to play your civ differently than normal to catch your enemy by suprise.
to keep the rpg-type element, they could make it so that above a certain rating, you can have access to 4 techs or even 5 or 6 techs. then once you reach one of these thresholds, there would be whole new strategies than at the lower level (as anyone who played any age game knows, even one additional bonus/unit can completely change strategies). the experts would potentially have a plethora of strategies open to them at the highest level and it could lead to something more interesting than the usual flush battles that aoc experts now engage in.

any thoughts on this would be appreciated and i realize it would be very tough to balance.

Replies:
posted 02-08-05 05:08 AM EDT (US)     1 / 6  
too much luck based imo... players shouldn't really win just because he has counter units for all of his opponents... Expert players dont want as much luck involved in multiplayer games, rather they want skill to uphold.

kthxbiz

posted 02-09-05 01:19 AM EDT (US)     2 / 6  
tomm0, that doesn't make sense. It's part of the game that you will attempt to counter your enemies' units properly. However, I see no such difficulties in thegreatsultan99's fantastic suggestions.
posted 02-09-05 12:35 PM EDT (US)     3 / 6  
How about the ammount available changes with each difficulty level?

Easy - 2
Medium - 3
Hard - 4
V. Hard - 5

?

posted 02-09-05 04:52 PM EDT (US)     4 / 6  
I really dont think luck would be too much of an issue. Its just a more complex process than merely picking a civ in AoC. Plus, you're not stuck with the units or whatever you pick for your home city. You can always change strategies midway; you just wont be able to make full use of these little bonuses you choose. (from the es comments, it seems like the home city bonuses are not gigantic). Plus, after a while it could be possible to make educated guesses as to what your opponent chooses for his techs depending on his civ and the map.
Also, there seems to be more of a luck factor in getting the right upgrades for your home city with the rpg-style thing because you cant change them everytime. so if you have all cavalry upgrades for your home city and you go up against someone with all pike upgrades, you're in a bad position and cant really counter them till you level up your home city even more.
btw, i'm assuming that the home city upgrades will noticeably affect gameplay. but from some of es's comments, it seems that these upgrades might not affect gameplay that much??
posted 02-09-05 04:54 PM EDT (US)     5 / 6  
btw, i like the difficulty idea
posted 02-14-05 03:54 PM EDT (US)     6 / 6  
bump
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » New idea for role of home city in multiplayer
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames