General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Yes – I am an Iroquois player
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 02-14-07 06:01 PM EDT (US)   
And yes, I admit they are OP. I win every game vs. an equally skilled opponent as long as I don’t make any serious screw-ups.

This is how you do it.

1. Age up to colonial with the Travois politician.
2. Protect your TC with 3 warhuts placed behind the TC in order to make it harder for cannons to take out them. If opponent is Dutch make a farm with one of the travois instead.
3. Ship 5 villagers.
4. Ship Great house.
5 Age up with fast fortress politician. If your opponent rushes in colonial he will just give you free xp since 3 warhuts + GreatHouse TC + Iroquois Warchief take out everything.
6. If under heavy attack ship 8 Forest Prowlers. If not ship 1200 resource card.
7. Make 2 more TCs that overlap so that they can protect each other and have space for farms and plantations in between. If your opponent is Spain or France convert the free Travois into a stable, if not I get a free farm.
8. Boom from 3TCs while massing Forest Prowlers. If opponent is Spain or France mix in some musket riders.
9. If he attacks with 2-3 Falcs be happy since you just won the game. Your 300 wood TCs take out such a force without you even needing military.
10. Ship Agrarian ways.
11. If your opponent is smart and attacks you with 6+ falconets or mass Petards just defend with TCs and Forest Prowlers. Immediately replace your cheap TCs. Your opponent will always spend twice as many resources on his attack as what you need on defense.
13. Go industrial for a mix of Forest Prowlers and light cannons. If you are low on gold go tomahawks + light cannons. You will win either way.
14. If your opponent tries to be cute and go for fast imperial immediately go fast imperial yourself since mortars is the only thing that can touch you.

Iroquois rules:

a) Let the enemy come to you. Never attack before fourth age if you do not have a clear advantage. Fighting Falconets out in the open is risky.
b) If your opponent have access to Falconets turtle up. Never expand for resources since you need to have a tight base in order to fight against Falconets. If your opponent does not have Falconets feel free to spread out.
c) Do not rush. Rushing is taking a risk and you do not have to take risks with Iroquois. If you play it cool you will win for sure.
d) A firepit set to Travois production will get you all the food and gold you will ever need.
e) Always prioritize economy over military.
f) Against a Dutch player massing fast halbs ship new ways so that you get counter infantry rifling. Same thing against all Ottomans.

[This message has been edited by MockHamill (edited 02-14-2007 @ 06:02 PM).]

Replies:
posted 02-14-07 06:10 PM EDT (US)     1 / 42  
I prefer to attack early so the only falcs I have to take out are the shipment ones which can be taken easily.

But this strat looks quite nice and effective... what rate have you gotten with it?

posted 02-14-07 06:17 PM EDT (US)     2 / 42  
~1850

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
posted 02-14-07 06:19 PM EDT (US)     3 / 42  
well, the problem is that they are the "flexible" kind of op, meaning they can do a variety of things and still be op.

Ottomans are an example of this, and 1.07 germans being a counter-example.

[FeaR]{KingSteve3721}
“I love my name of honor, more than I fear death.”- Julius Caesar
"The Pope! How many divisions has he got?"- Joseph Stalin
"The hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain."- Napoleon Bonaparte
"Dogs, would you live forever?"- Frederick the Great (addressing retreating Prussians at the Battle of Kolin)
posted 02-14-07 06:21 PM EDT (US)     4 / 42  
Well I recently used Aztec so I dropped to 1700. Right now I am about 1850. I expect to get 1900+ again within a few days.
posted 02-14-07 06:49 PM EDT (US)     5 / 42  
I find it sad that Ottoman/Iros are probably the only ones that can face off in a rush and it is totally unpredictable :-)

I like ottoman better than iros though...iros are my favorite native though, just because they have great eco boosts, and are...quite frankly untouchable...unless! i have found it hard to play against a dutch player late game, with many falcs...and skirms, as well as an aztec that uses ALL of the big buttons, + 50 population of troops already...

-blake

Supporter of Gay Marriage.
posted 02-14-07 09:44 PM EDT (US)     6 / 42  
i tried a variation of this strat
it defeated 2 ottomans and a spanish noob (he was berrying so im guessing hes noob)

ESO: Garlock
posted 02-14-07 09:49 PM EDT (US)     7 / 42  
dude berries = pro

I lost in the AOE3H FRR
Support Gay Pride!
Michael Jackson is innocent!
I smell.
posted 02-14-07 10:05 PM EDT (US)     8 / 42  
lol your like one of those gay pride people, except its iros

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
posted 02-14-07 10:06 PM EDT (US)     9 / 42  
berries when u got hunts and in age 1 = noob

ESO: Garlock
posted 02-15-07 02:19 AM EDT (US)     10 / 42  

Quote:

Well I recently used Aztec so I dropped to 1700. Right now I am about 1850. I expect to get 1900+ again within a few days.

I had the same speed of movement but then backwards, since I stopped playing Iroquois and started Germany.

I don't regret it though. I mean, doing the same thing every game gets boring pretty quickly. With Germany you're forced to adapt. With Iroquois you make the enemy adapt, or you've lost.

posted 02-15-07 07:08 AM EDT (US)     11 / 42  

Quoted from mockhamill:

If your opponent does not have Falconets feel free to spread out.

aka ports

Proud winner of the FFA Winter Round '07!
[Judgε][Epic Thread]
My Vods:[One] [Two][Three][Four]
"with all the bling on a mandsabar you could win the game by paying the enemy to resign." IL
posted 02-15-07 07:48 AM EDT (US)     12 / 42  
Actually I think that Iros are seriously OP and needs to be nerfed. But when I play my favorite civs (Aztecs and Britain) Spain, Dutch and Otto becomes very hard to beat, given equal skill.

From the perspective of and Iroquois player these things needs to be nerfed:
- Forest Prowlers (but just a bit).
- Remove or overnerf Town Dance. That card just destroys the game.

Problem is that if you nerf Iros you have to nerf Spain and Dutch as well as they are OP against all other civs. But then Otto and French will dominate the game... It is a vicious cycle.

posted 02-15-07 07:58 AM EDT (US)     13 / 42  

Quote:

- Remove or overnerf Town Dance. That card just destroys the game.

Balance is better than overnerf. And while dancing you're not gathering. The enemy might use that to get to industrial and get mortars.

Quote:

Problem is that if you nerf Iros you have to nerf Spain and Dutch as well as they are OP against all other civs. But then Otto and French will dominate the game... It is a vicious cycle.

Then balance Otto and French too! surely it's not impossible to balance this game.

posted 02-15-07 11:21 AM EDT (US)     14 / 42  
i have tried this strat a few times today won 1, lost 2.
The game i won was on Andes, where it was very easy to turtle, as the otto could only get to my base over a small fjord in range of the TC.
I have lost two games to rushes, where even though the opponents couldnt take out my tc, they kept my villagers garrisoned long enough for me to fall WAY behind and in the end i couldnt keep up.

Is there a solution to this, as it seems like quite a weak strat to me... Is there any chance in a rec game please?

posted 02-15-07 11:32 AM EDT (US)     15 / 42  
When I played Iros I prefered to attack early with loads of prowlers, mantlets and cuirs. If your opponent went for defending the rush (forward first rax), he loses. If he doesn't get 2 falc shipment soon enough, he loses. Even if he does it's a struggle. Only France(Cuirs) and Spain(Lancers) and maybe ottos (abus) can beat Iro effectively IMO.

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
posted 02-15-07 12:03 PM EDT (US)     16 / 42  
scriv1984,

The key is to not garrison more then 10 villagers in your TC. Since your warhuts are a bit spread out but still close to the TC it should be very possible to gather resources near at least on of the warhuts but away from enemy fire. If the enemy is moving his units towards your settlers just garrison in the warhuts.

I find that even if you lose your first TC you still have a decent chance to win the game as long as you manage to get up to fortress. Just put down another TC immediately and all you lost is 300 wood and some vs. 10 garrison villagers in a Great house TC kill plenty more resources then what they could have collected in the same time.

But the strat still takes skill to pull off, especially against good rushers. You must remain calm and play it out like a chess game. If necessary fall back but avoid losing any villagers.

posted 02-16-07 09:00 AM EDT (US)     17 / 42  
i havent even checked, but i know that for aoc, aok, the tc attack was raised for every villager garrisoned. Is this the case for aoe3?
posted 02-16-07 09:16 AM EDT (US)     18 / 42  
Yes, but the maximum is reached when garrisoning 10 vills.
posted 02-16-07 09:27 AM EDT (US)     19 / 42  
This strat is indeed powerful. I am on a 13 games win streak and just broke 1900.

Killing of Spain shipment spammers have never been easier. The only civ I really fear is Otto since a strong colonial janissary rush could possible cripple me. Fortunately, not many people seem to play Ottomans.

posted 02-16-07 09:35 AM EDT (US)     20 / 42  
I wonder btw how this will stand against a German who knows what you're doing and goes fast revolt backed up by SW?
posted 02-16-07 10:23 AM EDT (US)     21 / 42  
Mediolanus,

I have no idea but I have never lost to a revolution. I think it is more or less impossible to so, given equal skill.

posted 02-16-07 10:49 AM EDT (US)     22 / 42  
just did this strat and won despite losing 2 TCs at one point. Luckily i had the TC travois in my deck and just put one straight back up and my 3rd was safe, still producing villies.
The fact that you are booming, while he is struggling to attack does make this strat very powerful.
I did get to age 4 at the very end, but didnt get to use my cannons
posted 02-16-07 11:12 AM EDT (US)     23 / 42  

Quote:

I have no idea but I have never lost to a revolution. I think it is more or less impossible to so, given equal skill.

Actually, I have succesfully revolted once against a player of higher PR.

posted 02-18-07 05:10 PM EDT (US)     24 / 42  
I think that even after FP gets nerfed next patch I will continue to use Iroquois. In many ways they are the civ I hoped Portugal would be - an economic powerhouse that is good at defensive booming.

But apart from the nerf to Forest Prowlers and Great house I think it is important to fix the light cannon movement bug. It is simply too easy to micro light cannons compared to falconets and culverins. Stat wise they are fine though.

posted 02-18-07 05:14 PM EDT (US)     25 / 42  
I have just played two games with them, and I must say it is quite fun. I like the civilisation, and indeed, they are what Portugal should have been. It's a shame they turned out OP.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Yes – I am an Iroquois player
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames