Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Green Valley update + some new maps
posted 03-04-07 03:24 PM EDT (US)   
As promised here is the updated Green Valley map for TWC and some other updates + new maps. For those who dont know those maps I made for AOE3 classic I give a brief description below. For the new maps I go into a little more details, I added some screenshots too.

Green Valley TWC :
Green Valley was made inspired by the great popularity of Green Arabia in AOC. It has abundand resources and seems like relatively easy to play at first. However the native tribes differ from game to game offering some additional strategic depth to the map and making it more fun to play.

[JPEG, (158.25 KB)]

Windy Isles TWC :
This is a migration style map, you start on a small islands with pretty few resources. You have to migrate to the huge main continent which offers plenty of resources a traderoute and some native villages. Control of the ocean parts are sometimes crucial to provide save fishing possibilities. This is what makes the map interesting, control sea or land or maybe try to steal both from your enemy, on which to focus will always be a tough strategic decision.

[JPEG, (146.65 KB)]

Tower Nomad TWC :
On its first appearance this map had a problem , Ottomans couldnt be played because of a bug. Here is the great news - I was able to work around this bug so that this map is fully playable now.
You start without a towncenter and get only a few villagers and your explorer to start with, a tower can be used to have a safe place for your workers and getting shipments.
Natives dont have towers available and start without a tower or equivalent, however their explorers who are able to convert treasure guardians should make up for this.
You need your explorer to build a TC so you might want to keep an eye on it.
This map offers a lot of strategical options since you dont really have to build your TC first and go for some other start.

[JPEG, (145.56 KB)]

Dry Lands :
The first of the new maps. All those many people who have played AOC before coming to AOE3 know the popularity of the arabia map. We wanted to have something with similar gameplay which is yet different for AOE3 also.
This is how the devolopment of Dry Lands started. The map is like arabia one which has only relatively few resources which should turn out in fast gameplay and heavy fights for map control, even more important because there is a waterhole in the map middle which offers some of the sparse huntings. Each player has two native settelments of Cherokee and Cheyenne located close to his towncenter which will greatly help if you want to employ a more defensiv strategy on this map.

[JPEG, (148.78 KB)]

Pandora's Box :
Dare I say, this is the best unknown style map ever made !
The variety of different maps you can get is enourmous, yet maps are always reasonable fair.
Do I have to say more - no I let the map speak for itself with the following screenshots.
First you see a selection of maps which I made to show some of the more rare possibilities like Black Forest style or huge Oceans, secondly you see 15 Screenshots made in a row, so that is kind of what you get on average !

[JPEG, (767.28 KB)]

[JPEG, (759.72 KB)]

Update : The arts for the loading background etc. have been added. Copy the folders containing them to :
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\art\ui\random_map\

Download here :
http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=1262

[This message has been edited by Orca (edited 03-13-2007 @ 08:54 AM).]

Replies:
posted 03-04-07 03:32 PM EDT (US)     1 / 25  
Ummm... WOW

Those are awesome maps, great job

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]
posted 03-04-07 03:39 PM EDT (US)     2 / 25  
wow did you see that Black Forest-like map? Crazy!

Great job, those maps look awesome!

Check out my YouTube Page!
ESO - LO12DS_Fry
posted 03-04-07 03:55 PM EDT (US)     3 / 25  
Yeah Fry, but its completely random I think, so it may not come up like that often. Still would be great for a british player :P

Thanks to all those that signed the petition to get me unbanned here.
And special thanks to smashnbash for making it.
posted 03-04-07 04:03 PM EDT (US)     4 / 25  
Yeah I know...

Maybe he could make a BF map :P

ESO - LO12DS_Fry
posted 03-04-07 04:06 PM EDT (US)     5 / 25  
Neat Orca, im going to download it just for that windy Isles map , that one looks fun. Wish we could play them on-line
posted 03-04-07 04:15 PM EDT (US)     6 / 25  
It looks really great! too bad no XP is given on maps like these, they would be played much more if so.

I sense a forum party theme coming up...

posted 03-04-07 04:18 PM EDT (US)     7 / 25  

Quote:

I sense a forum party theme coming up...

Haha, you know it

posted 03-04-07 04:39 PM EDT (US)     8 / 25  
These look great, I think I'll be playing these until the new patch comes out
posted 03-04-07 04:47 PM EDT (US)     9 / 25  
Great! I love your Green Valley, perhaps you could state the update of GV? I'm interested to know what is different. In addition, would it ever be possible for maps like GV to be able to earn XP for HC's? I've played many GV games yet obviously earned no experience.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
posted 03-04-07 05:13 PM EDT (US)     10 / 25  

Quote:

Wish we could play them on-line

You can

@fry, i guess you can just walk through his forest, so not really the same

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩš_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

posted 03-04-07 05:44 PM EDT (US)     11 / 25  

Yep you can walk through the forest. If it was possible to go around this and make a real BF map I would do because many people asked for that in the past, however I think it isnt possible at all.

GV changes : A small bug with the huntings not running was fixed, a new native combination has been added - Zapotec and Navajo, Comanche/Comanche is now Comanche + Apache.

posted 03-04-07 05:49 PM EDT (US)     12 / 25  
@orca, everything is possible, if you just abuse the script enough:
Clickie

I made a little (well maybe bit more then little) mistake there, it took arround 5 minutes to load. But i wanna bet that forest was impassable.

[This message has been edited by schildpad (edited 03-04-2007 @ 05:50 PM).]

posted 03-04-07 06:07 PM EDT (US)     13 / 25  

Quote:

Yep you can walk through the forest. If it was possible to go around this and make a real BF map I would do because many people asked for that in the past, however I think it isnt possible at all.

Hey, if you can pass through them who cares? falcs will rip apart anyone in the woods so it wouldn't be to smart to pass through them fortress+

*WINDOWS CRITICAL ERROR 19891126*
Product ID: Ossian Discontinued
Contact your network admin for more details
about this special edition of player...

Allthough cetans are darker, did you know that if you read the word 'cetan' as a dutch word, that you get the same sound as when reading 'satan' in english.-Furby Killer
posted 03-04-07 07:05 PM EDT (US)     14 / 25  
Falcs also knock down trees, creating a bigger path

posted 03-04-07 07:08 PM EDT (US)     15 / 25  

Quote:

If it was possible to go around this and make a real BF map I would do because many people asked for that in the past, however I think it isnt possible at all.

It's very easy to do...

Me and Furby were considering working on it. Not sure what happened, but I've also gotten very busy lately. Can't really afford to start another new map.

posted 03-05-07 02:43 AM EDT (US)     16 / 25  
@pftq, but can you also make it so that after the forrest is gone you can walk through?

btw you still want that u da prey map? i just realised it is sitting arround @ my comp allready pretty long.

posted 03-05-07 05:20 AM EDT (US)     17 / 25  
Great maps indeed

Tower nomad is a wacky map, fishing seems to be extremely important there, schooner civs have an advantage. It's one of those maps where you get to actually use age1 shipments.
Green Valley is pretty much what AoE3 Green Arabia would be like, there are a lot of options how to play that map.
Dry Lands is difficult and rewards aggressive playing, even more so than in AoC arabia.
Pandora's box is what a real random map should be like. One player may have an advantage in some aspect to the other, but usually it balances out rather nicely.

•Qazitory•
•AoE3 rating: Qazitory
My AoE3:TWC mods: QazUI - Treasure - Main Menu - Low Lag HC - Deck selection•
•Guide my keystrokes, keep my programs alive, protect me from viruses, back up my drive.•
posted 03-05-07 05:45 AM EDT (US)     18 / 25  
What I want is Forest which you cant pass but are able to chop down and walk through a chopped down pass like in traditional AOC Black Forest. However I dont see that working but maybe im missing something.
posted 03-05-07 07:47 AM EDT (US)     19 / 25  
Look at that screenshot i posted, it is possible

posted 03-05-07 08:31 AM EDT (US)     20 / 25  
Hehe done, I guess im really missing something. Go make a Black Forest style map ! I think many people will hihgly appreciate that
posted 03-06-07 02:49 PM EDT (US)     21 / 25  
sweet!

ESO - LO12DS_Fry
posted 03-06-07 03:31 PM EDT (US)     22 / 25  
To be clear, that map happened after i made a mistake in a script, i let it make an enormous forrest without space for an enormous forest, so it made a really compact forest. If i got some time i will try to look if it is possible to do it by abusing the script, problem is that if you abuse it too much it will take really long to load.

posted 03-13-07 08:56 AM EDT (US)     23 / 25  
The Arts for the loading background etc. have been added. Thanks to Str_Viper_ for doing those nice Artworks
posted 03-13-07 02:52 PM EDT (US)     24 / 25  
I forget where these maps need to be installed. Is this the correct directory?

\My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\RM

Do I just unzip everything in here? Some instructions (in the zip file or the thread) would be very useful for guys like me that do not download many maps / third party software.

Thanks bud, looks like fun, can't wait to try...

Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way!................CYCLOHEXANE'S FREE GUIDES:

-TAD GUIDE: AOE3 TWC TAD Quick Reference -or view online: On-line
AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON SPREADSHEET: Unit Comparison Spreadsheet

See other guides, technological advancements, interviewing tips, and more at my website All Things Miscellaneous
posted 03-13-07 05:58 PM EDT (US)     25 / 25  
You have to put them into the RM2 folder instead.
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Green Valley update + some new maps
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames