Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: New Feature: Groupings
posted 10-16-05 03:44 AM EDT (US)   
ES has included an interesting new feature in the AoE3 editor - groupings. What this means is, you can select a part of a map, define it as a grouping and use it again in another map by loading the grouping back. For example, Below I created something really quick:

[JPEG, (216.52 KB)]

Then I saved it as a grouping and created a new map. Loaded the user-made grouping and pasted it on the new map:

[JPEG, (204.67 KB)]

There are some inherited problems with overlapping building groupings, some embelishment objects, etc.

What this really does is create an XML file with the grouping data in there. So, you can like create a cave system and share it over the internet. You can create native villages and share them as groupings.

It also makes process of having same things over multiple scenarios very easy. Load the grouping, make any changes you want to and there - its ready.

Also, there are many built-in grouping which ES already may have used available. They includes things like forts and even unit groupings.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
Replies:
posted 10-16-05 03:50 AM EDT (US)     1 / 13  
preety cool, makes designing easier by eliminating the copy paste procedure.

check my stats

Proud creator of the FIRST King Of The Hill Map for AoE3

My blog <<---- updated daily

posted 10-16-05 05:01 AM EDT (US)     2 / 13  
Isn't that the copy/paste terrain function from AoM?
posted 10-16-05 07:21 AM EDT (US)     3 / 13  
^Sounds like it. But sharing files sounds fun

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
posted 10-16-05 03:05 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13  

How are you going to copy/paste terrain over the internet?

In this, you can share an XML file.

A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
posted 10-17-05 00:57 AM EDT (US)     5 / 13  
cool, sounds like fun. Good to see ES gave us a sample aswell.

Mabye when the game comes out a grouping section should be made in the DL Section. I love the idea though

posted 10-19-05 04:45 AM EDT (US)     6 / 13  
Ah that is cool. So we can make sets... or packages.

Imagine that. "Cave Set 1" - including 100 detailed caves for your scenarios.

That is cool . I hope it works like that.

posted 10-19-05 07:32 AM EDT (US)     7 / 13  
Absoulutely brilliant, IMHO. I've wanted to be able to move different pieces of map in previous Age games to another map to make things easier. I'm happy. =)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
posted 10-19-05 10:54 PM EDT (US)     8 / 13  
w00t, I love this idea. It could be usefull for people who suck at eyecandy.

oh you can wait for what I can give
you know what I am so you know how I live
try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
its happening now and it’s always been like this.
posted 10-19-05 11:26 PM EDT (US)     9 / 13  
Maybe I missed something, but that building the train runs into.. did you place that, or is that automatically the end of the track..?

Naturally, does it jsut disappear..?

posted 10-20-05 00:07 AM EDT (US)     10 / 13  
I placed it there.

posted 10-29-05 06:53 AM EDT (US)     11 / 13  
Been playing with this 'groupings' feature a little bit for use in custom random maps.

I found that when you define a grouping in the ScenEd, that it is saved in your My Documents/MyGames/AOE3/RM/Groupings folder. And that RM folder is where custom RMs are placed for use. However, a custom RM will not use a file in that Groupings folder, you have to put it in the RM/Groupings folder where the game is installed. Weird.

Anyway, love this feature! You will be seeing some of this soon in a custom random map to be released hopefully an a short while.

posted 10-29-05 08:52 AM EDT (US)     12 / 13  
On the subject of RMs, Is it posible to make the map in the editor, then save it as an .xs file instead of a .scn file?
posted 10-29-05 03:48 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13  
You can use the grouping and go use the entire scenario as a grouping.

Quote:

ES has included an interesting new feature in the AoE3 editor - groupings. What this means is, you can select a part of a map, define it as a grouping and use it again in another map by loading the grouping back. For example, Below I created something really quick:

Did you just notice this now? I noticed it a few days ago.

Former level designer at Reverie World Studios.
I still do some levels for fun, though!

[This message has been edited by CaveTown (edited 10-29-2005 @ 03:49 PM).]

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » New Feature: Groupings
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames