Modding Discussions
Moderated by Alexastor, MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoE3H's Modding Contest - Announcement
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 09-02-06 07:06 AM EDT (US)   

AoE3H has finally planned a modding contest, the first in the history of AoE3! This is just a head up for things to come. The contest will start this wednesday (6 September) and will last in total 4 weeks. In these 4 weeks we'll have 4 different rounds with 4 different themes.

Contestants should create a brand new unit (no buildings) according to the theme featured in the current round. Everything is allowed as long as you stick to the theme or the unit hasn't been released earlier in another modpack. The use of stolen content (models/textures etc. from another mod and/or game) is prohibited.

When the round ends after one week you'll have to submit a screenshot, the code and the graphics to our judges (Kastor, Elpea and yours truly). While we are judging the submitted mods the next round starts with a new theme. The judges will rate every mod (only one submission per modder is allowed) on a scale from 1.0 to 10.0 where 10.0 is the best. They'll also try to give constructive comments so your skills will improve through this competition.

To win the contest you should have atleast submitted 2 out of 4 mods (so you should atleast have finished 2 units from different themes). The 2 best rated units per modder will count toward the prizes (so you'll have a better chance of winning with 4 mods than with 2). The modder with the highest average will win the competition! When we end up with a tie the judges rejudge the units made by the modders and choose a winner accordingly.

The winner will receive AoE3's expansion pack: The Warchiefs as soon as it is released!

Note that the judges (Kastor, Elpea and yours truly) have every right to ban a person from the contest or change the rules if they see it needed. Prizes can't be changed for cash, nor is it possible to discuss any decissions made by the judges.

For the mod-beginners among us, read this tutorial on how to create a new unit.

Detailed information about the first round and the rest of the contest will be posted this wednesday.

Be Prepared!

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
|| In honor of FlipBizcut
|| Mod: The Age of Crusades

[This message has been edited by Argalius (edited 09-02-2006 @ 10:04 AM).]

Replies:
posted 09-02-06 09:19 AM EDT (US)     1 / 42  
Yay

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
posted 09-02-06 10:48 AM EDT (US)     2 / 42  
I hope Matthew comes with that Texturing Tutorial soon, so I might have some chance

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
posted 09-02-06 10:58 AM EDT (US)     3 / 42  
What else to say but, sweeet.
Btw Kastor isnt participating right?

I am the other brother of Richard the lion hearted, not really
I fight for my nation in dreamland, in reality I dont fight for my nation
I live in the modern world, I dont live in the past
All of the above was said by Henry The Lion

[This message has been edited by Henry The Lion (edited 09-02-2006 @ 11:14 AM).]

posted 09-02-06 11:15 AM EDT (US)     4 / 42  
No, he's one of the judges. And obviously, judges can't participate in the contest.

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
posted 09-02-06 11:22 AM EDT (US)     5 / 42  
The contest was Argalius' and my idea, so why should I participate in my own contest?
posted 09-02-06 11:34 AM EDT (US)     6 / 42  
Thank you, most of s (maybe all) should be happy not to have you in your own contest.

What about the income taxes, we have to pay them right?
Are there any 2nd and 3rd place prizes?

[This message has been edited by Henry The Lion (edited 09-02-2006 @ 11:43 AM).]

posted 09-02-06 11:45 AM EDT (US)     7 / 42  
If you're not living in US, you'll get the money via check or PayPal.

And sorry, we just have a prize for 1st winner .

[This message has been edited by Kastor (edited 09-02-2006 @ 11:46 AM).]

posted 09-02-06 12:11 PM EDT (US)     8 / 42  
You mean we get the money, the rules said you cant get money, "Prizes can't be changed for cash" as said in the announcement, a 2nd and 3rd price non commecially would be nice though.

posted 09-02-06 12:25 PM EDT (US)     9 / 42  
With that we mean that if you get the Xpack you can't send it back to us because you want the money instead. So you'll have to accept what you get.

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
posted 09-02-06 12:54 PM EDT (US)     10 / 42  
I'm sooo in this.

Come on! Let one of the rounds be Medieval/Arabian!

Co-Leader and Founder of the Eye-Candy Guild
Head of Research and Development for the AOE3 Editor
Designer's Mod Co-Creator
Official Story Writer of Wherever

Come join the Guild!

posted 09-02-06 01:02 PM EDT (US)     11 / 42  
You'll either know on wednesday or on the 3 weeks later wheter they are a theme or not
posted 09-02-06 01:17 PM EDT (US)     12 / 42  
A FAQ should be nice (Hope I am not a problem posting like this)

posted 09-02-06 01:44 PM EDT (US)     13 / 42  
Everything you need to know for now is in this thread, the rest will be posted wednesday.

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
posted 09-02-06 02:54 PM EDT (US)     14 / 42  
posted 09-02-06 03:18 PM EDT (US)     15 / 42  
Kastor enter ur napolean mod... lol ud win sooo badly and send these morons crying lol. OMG I JUST READ. WTF? Canadians cant win this! THIS IS BULL SH!T Why cant u just send the xpack to another contry?

Well Im giving up on heavengames now because of this lol jk but could u make it so canadians can get the Xpack? I just figured out how to make units and if one of the themes is native americans im gonna win sooo badly lol.

[This message has been edited by AoMmaster2006 (edited 09-02-2006 @ 03:21 PM).]

posted 09-02-06 03:36 PM EDT (US)     16 / 42  
I am going to work really hard at this stuff! hopefully I get 10's across the board.
posted 09-02-06 03:49 PM EDT (US)     17 / 42  
Hey AoMmaster2006, don't call other participians "morons" or try to insult them in other ways.

BTW: If the winner is from Canada, he will also get a copy TWC, and if the winner isn't from the US/Canada we have to pay the value of the game through paypal/mailing a check.

posted 09-02-06 03:51 PM EDT (US)     18 / 42  
O thnx. BTW kastor compared to ur new mod every1 in these forums (INCLUDING ME) is morons. Sry for dissing ppl but its true u guys r pro.
posted 09-02-06 03:56 PM EDT (US)     19 / 42  
to be honest i think kastor should participate:P just to up the ante, or maybe make it gg

ESO - MusketeerKing
Current Rating - 1845 (Level 29)
posted 09-02-06 04:30 PM EDT (US)     20 / 42  
lol kastor would dominate. I expected ur guys first mod comp to be on a civ or something, Whyd u make it just 1 unit?
posted 09-02-06 08:22 PM EDT (US)     21 / 42  
maybe just 1 unit so that modding newbies (like me) have a chance....
posted 09-03-06 00:08 AM EDT (US)     22 / 42  
I might take part in this, use my ideas from the agecommunity site, like my voulger or can gunner.....
posted 09-03-06 01:47 AM EDT (US)     23 / 42  

Quote:

Everything is allowed as long as you stick to the theme or the unit hasn't been released earlier in another modpack.

Well, Kastor already knows this, but I have quite a few custom units for some requests I've been receiving (and for my own project ). I haven't released all of these units in my proto/mod yet, so would it be okay if I still used the un-released one, if need be?

Co-Leader and Founder of the Eye-Candy Guild
Head of Research and Development for the AOE3 Editor
Designer's Mod Co-Creator
Official Story Writer of Wherever

Come join the Guild!

posted 09-03-06 06:52 AM EDT (US)     24 / 42  
The point of the contest is that you create a unit specially for this contest. But well if you have a unit that fits the theme exactly and you haven't released it, how are we going to check? It's a matter of trust.

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H

[This message has been edited by Argalius (edited 09-03-2006 @ 06:52 AM).]

posted 09-03-06 10:28 AM EDT (US)     25 / 42  
LOL. Kastor will get owned if Matthew enters... His texturing skills aren't that great

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Modding Discussions » AoE3H's Modding Contest - Announcement
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames