Moderated by Alexastor, MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Age of Empires III: The Near East
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 09-24-08 07:06 PM EDT (US)   
The Near East

This is a mod that adds the Afghans, the Persians and the Ottomans to the game.

All Eastern Civs

Start with a Town Center, villagers and a Sheikh.
To age-up, instead of choosing a politician or building a wonder, Eastern civs develop an aspect of their culture. The benefits of each aspect are increased with each age.
Architecture: all buildings are cheaper and stronger by 5% / 10% / 15% / 20%
Art: all coin production increased by 5% / 10% / 15% / 20%
Cuisine: all food production increased by 5% / 10% / 15% / 20%
Literature: all units are trained faster and technologies are researched faster by 5% / 10% / 15% / 20%
Religion: all units are stronger by 5% / 10% / 15% / 20%, Sheikh is much more powerful by by 50% / 100% / 150% / 200%
All use a Middle Eastern building set

Units
Sheikhs: similar to Explorers, but instead of a good rifle attack and average hand attack, Sheikhs have average ranged attack with a pistol but a strong sword attack with their scimitar. Sheikhs also boost the combat abilities of nearby troops.
Ghulam: weak and cheap slave with a sword mounted on a camel.
Bazaari: like a mobile trade post, Bazaari generate experience, gold, food or wood. Bazaari can be built from Bazaars or Trade Posts, and you can only build one for every Trade Post you own. Bazaari can also build additional Trade Posts.
Imam: the same as the current Ottoman unit.
Fishing Skiff: fishing boat
Dhow: similar to Caravel
Felucca: slightly weaker than Galleon
Galley: like the current Ottoman unit

Buildings
- House
- Trading Post
- Barracks
- Dock
- Caravanserai: like the Indian building, for training Cavalry
- Bazaar: The Bazaar works just like the Market, with the added ability to train Ghulam and Bazaari.
- Oasis: The Oasis is extremely flexible. It can be used to fatten livestock, or farmed by Villagers for Food. In Age III it can be upgraded to a Spice Oasis to allow gathering of Coin, and in Age IV it can be upgraded to a Palm Oasis to allow gathering of Wood.
- Mosque: The Mosque is the same as the European Church, with slightly different technologies available. It can also build Imams, and slowly heals nearby units.
- Embassy: Similar to the Asian Consulate, the Embassy allows Eastern civs to ally with European and Asian civs. They don't get bonuses and technologies, only access to units. They don't have Export either, so allying costs Coin. They can however ally with up to four civs at once, getting access to all their units at the same time.
- Tower: Similar to European Outposts.
- Citadel: Weaker than a European Fort but stronger and more limited than Asian Castles, Citadels give access to Artillery units. Citadels also train mercenary units.
- Shrine: Equivalent of the European Capitol.

Afghans
Home City Qandahar, Ruler Shah Durrani.
Sheikh is mounted on a horse.
Instead of building the House and Barracks, they build Lashkar. Town Center provides more population than normal to compensate.
Embassy allies: French, Germans, Chinese.
Units
Pulwar: Swordsmen, good against cavalry.
Afridi: Weaker musketeer.
Jezail: Long ranged skirmisher.
Rohilla: Light infantry.
Jaanbaz: Hand cavalry.
Gilzai: Light rifle-armed raiding cavalry.
Zamburak: Mounted camel artillery.
Zamzama: Heavy cannon.

Persians
Home City Esfahan, Ruler Abbas the Great
Sheikh is mounted on an elephant.
Build fewer Houses, but can also build Gardens which provide population and can be tended by Villagers to generate Experience.
Embassy allies: British, Russian, Indian.
Units
Sarbaz: Spearman.
Shamshir: Light swordsmen.
Kamangir: Light archers
Tofangcis: Musketeer.
Qizilbash: Strong heavy cavalry.
Savar: Hand cavalry.
Qurchi: Light cavalry armed with bows.
Zamburak: Camel aritllery.
Topchi: Long range cavalry artillery.
Shirazi Cannon: Heavy Cannon.

Ottomans

Home City Istanbul, Ruler Suleiman the Magnificent
Sheikh is on foot with a rifle.
Villagers spawn automatically.
Build the European Capitol instead of the Shrine.
Can't build the Embassy but can build the Artillery Foundry for a full compliment of Artillery.
Units
Janissary: Same
Azabs: Light infantry armed with glaive like halberds.
Abus Gunners: Same
Grenadiers: Give them the name that the Royal Guard unit has ingame.
Ulufejis: Light cavalry armed with swords.
Delis: Light cavalry armed with lances and sheilds.
Sipahis: Heavy cavalry armed with maces.
Akinjis: Light cavalry armed with bows.
Falconet
Culverin
Horse Artillery
Mortar
Great Bombard

Screenshot of A Jezail
Jaanbaz
Kamangir
Shamshir
Abdali
Savar
Tofangcis
Khampa
Qizilbash
Swahili Askari

A Persian Camp

Saudis, a possible fourth civ, are still in development.

Please post any comments and criticisms.

[This message has been edited by Dudely (edited 12-01-2008 @ 10:21 PM).]

Replies:
posted 09-24-08 11:32 PM EDT (US)     1 / 91  
Sounds interesting. Can't see the picture, though.

If you don't expect to finish the mod, and are put off by that, remember that other mods love help.
posted 09-25-08 00:46 AM EDT (US)     2 / 91  
posted 09-25-08 01:40 AM EDT (US)     3 / 91  
Yeah, now the image shows up fine.
posted 09-25-08 09:13 AM EDT (US)     4 / 91  
You set a good limit. Good luck.

However, if you wanna work in a team. Join TAA. :P *hitsG2*

» The Ancient Age | Napoleonic Era «

» Modding is art! «
posted 09-25-08 05:53 PM EDT (US)     5 / 91  
This looks cool. I hope it succeeds, I want to play as the Afghans

If you are making a mod and need some ideas, or if you just like history check out my civ ideas in the "Future ES Games Thread".

[This message has been edited by Jaguar6 (edited 09-25-2008 @ 05:54 PM).]

posted 09-25-08 07:52 PM EDT (US)     6 / 91  
Thanks for the positive comments!

Added a screenshot of the Jaanbaz, the Afghan light cavalry. Tell me if it shows up, I've been having problems with imageshack.

PS: The Jaanbaz hasn't been retuxtured yet...

[This message has been edited by Dudely (edited 09-25-2008 @ 07:53 PM).]

posted 09-25-08 08:32 PM EDT (US)     7 / 91  
Sounds cool, and the units look great. There ought to be a mod replacing the Asian or European civs with all Middle-Eastern Civs.

◓◓◓◓◓
posted 09-25-08 10:01 PM EDT (US)     8 / 91  
^That was my insipration, I wanted to do a Mod with Middle Eastern civs. But since WotTA is doing Egypt, and there are already Turks, there weren't a whole lot left. So, I decided on Afghans, who were in conflict with Britain, Russia and India, so they made sense.

[This message has been edited by Dudely (edited 09-25-2008 @ 10:02 PM).]

posted 09-26-08 06:22 PM EDT (US)     9 / 91  
What about the Persians, Sikhs, Oman, Yemen, Uzbeks, Crimean Khanate, and many others? They would all make great civs.
But I guess Afghans works for now

If you are making a mod and need some ideas, or if you just like history check out my civ ideas in the "Future ES Games Thread".
posted 09-26-08 07:29 PM EDT (US)     10 / 91  
Haha, well I guess there where more than I thought! Good job.
Still, I like the Afghans better :P

[This message has been edited by Dudely (edited 09-26-2008 @ 07:29 PM).]

posted 09-26-08 07:46 PM EDT (US)     11 / 91  
I can't see the Jaanbaz in the link.
posted 09-26-08 08:40 PM EDT (US)     12 / 91  
You can't eh? Maybe I should switch to photobucket, cause imageshack is giving me a lot of trouble.
posted 09-27-08 01:06 PM EDT (US)     13 / 91  
I can see it fine

posted 09-27-08 02:12 PM EDT (US)     14 / 91  
Added screenshot of the Pulwar. Also, fixed the Jezail link so it should work now.
posted 09-27-08 02:21 PM EDT (US)     15 / 91  
All three units look great. However, do you have ideas for cards, unique techs, unique bonuses, etc?

Also, if you wanted to add a few more civs, you could try a few African ones, like the Songhai and Mali.

◓◓◓◓◓

[This message has been edited by Jimmy2 (edited 09-27-2008 @ 02:22 PM).]

posted 09-28-08 08:04 AM EDT (US)     16 / 91  
If quality is important to you, put more effort into the pulwar. Everybody can see that this is an Iron Trooper with an urumi shield. Retexture them appropriately so that the origin is not that obvious.

» Modding is art! «
posted 09-28-08 01:01 PM EDT (US)     17 / 91  
I'm in the process of remaking the Pulwar, because it wont let me replace the texture. I did the exact same thing I do all the time, but it didn't work. Any ideas why?

[This message has been edited by Dudely (edited 09-28-2008 @ 01:02 PM).]

posted 09-28-08 02:18 PM EDT (US)     18 / 91  
Could have a lot of reasons like wrong paths in the protoy.xml, the AnimFile or non-converted files. Check the spelling and if all files are in the folders you described as file source, check if you replaced the correct files.

» Modding is art! «
posted 09-28-08 04:10 PM EDT (US)     19 / 91  
Nice to see another mod started! Fortunately you're hanging around here for a while, so you don't promise the best mod ever, but start with a subtile one civ mod, which I think will finish, and is the best way of gathering modding experience before starting or joining a big project, like Knights and Barbarians or The Ancient Age (pleasing Tilanus).

I hope to see this finished some time, and not only for the mod itself, but also for having a new modder with some experience in the community. Success!

peugeot407

PS: Your units look simple, but very good!

|> Robert Faber (aka peugeot407)
|> Humble Creator of: Knights and Barbarians, Danish Civ Mod, Several Tutorials and the Tutorial Database
|> November 2007 Modding Contest: 2nd place (me: 360 pts, Captain_Soanso: 365 pts!)
|> January 2008 Modding Contest: first place!

When in doubt, flat out! (Colin McRae)

[This message has been edited by peugeot407 (edited 09-28-2008 @ 04:11 PM).]

posted 09-28-08 05:12 PM EDT (US)     20 / 91  
Thanks peugot! For some reason, I'm only having this problem with the Iron Troop model, so I switched to the changdao model, which works.

[This message has been edited by Dudely (edited 09-28-2008 @ 05:12 PM).]

posted 09-30-08 09:48 PM EDT (US)     21 / 91  
Dudely, I've done a fair bit of work on a Persian civ, it would be great if we could combine efforts. I'm decent with the coding but have no skills with skinning. The only thing is you'd have to take Qizilbash out of the Afghans because they are certainly a Persian unit! Also Indians have Zamburacks (your Zumbooruck), but I thing they need to be a generic unit used by Afghans and Persians as well.

Anyway let me know if you want more information about my Persian civ. I was making them similar to Asian civs, but if you have a better idea I can redesign things.
posted 10-01-08 06:46 PM EDT (US)     22 / 91  
Sounds good Shaun! I have ok texturing skills, but my coding is crappy, so it works out great. And yes the Indians have the Zamburak so I will probably change it, but in my mod, it's more like a faster culverin.

About the Qizilbash, I gave it to the Afghans because Shah Durrani had a bodygurad of Qizilbash warriors, but it definately fits better as a Persian unit, so I will remove it.

Also, about the Persians, I just did a little research and which dynasty are you dealing with exactly?

[This message has been edited by Dudely (edited 10-01-2008 @ 06:49 PM).]

posted 10-01-08 09:21 PM EDT (US)     23 / 91  
Specifically the Safavids as they fit in the timeline best. They had extended conflicts with the Ottomans, and also had contact (both positive and negative) with the British, French, Dutch, Portuguese, Russians and Indians. I was also thinking of incorporating elements from the Afsharid dynasty, probably even more likely if they'll be in a mod with Afghans.

Anyway here's the basic design at the moment. I wanted to really make them a combination of the European civs and the Asian civs, so they have a range of generic units (like Europeans) but also a lot of unique units (like Asians). Presumably Afghans would be similarly structured, but I'm not sure of any suitable Afghan "wonders"...

Persians
Home city is Esfahan.
Ruler is Shah Abbas the Great.
Monks are Ulemas, which are mounted on horses.
Consulate alliances: British, Russian, Dutch, Indian.

Persians build Asian buildings (Consulate, Rice Paddy, Monastery) but also build Livestock Pen and Mosque.
Can build slightly fewer houses, but can also build Gardens, which provide 5 population and can be tended by up to 5 villagers to provide either Export or Experience (similar to a Rice Paddy).

To age-up, Persians must research the age at their Town Center like Europeans. However instead of choosing a politician, they choose a wonder, which is then available to build for free once the next age is reached.

Wonders:
Chehel Sotoun Palace: spawns crates.
Shah Mosque: heals nearby units and allows additional Monasteries and Mosques.
Dome of Soltaniyeh: spawns Heavy Cannon or Hashshashin.
Khaju Bridge: increases unit speed and improves Gardens.
Imam Reza Shrine: has a power that temporarily increases range and attack.

Units:
Shamshir: Light infantry swordsman.
Kamangir: Archer
Musketeer
Pikeman
Ghulam: Cheap light cavalry
Qizilbash: Powerful heavy cavalry
Cavalry Archer
Zamburak (upgrade makes Zamburak excellent against artillery, like Culverin)
Grenadier
Petard
Topchi: Longer-ranged cavalry artillery
Heavy Cannon (only available from Home City)
Hashshashin: powerful spy (only available from Home City)

Minor civilisations
I was also thinking of adding some additional native allies, since we'd probably want Middle Eastern maps. I haven't thought too much about the technologies and unites they'd provide, but I was thinking of including the following:
Bedouin
Azeri
Balooch
Kurd
posted 10-01-08 09:38 PM EDT (US)     24 / 91  
Looks good and I like the idea of Middle Eastern civs being sort of like a combination of European and Asian civs.

A problem though, is the Wonders, since the game may lack suitable models for all the buildings...
posted 10-01-08 09:43 PM EDT (US)     25 / 91  
When it comes to colonial Middle Eastern history, I'm pretty much in the dark. But I think it'd be a neat idea to have the Mosque be a church-firepit hybrid, but instead of the firepit powers, you'd generate free units based on # of villies dancing, or "worshiping".

◓◓◓◓◓
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Modding Discussions » Age of Empires III: The Near East
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames