Moderated by Alexastor, MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Texturing Tutorial
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 05-27-09 05:39 PM EDT (US)   

Introduction
This is a tutorial made by Tilanus Commodor. It will explain the basic aspects of texturing based on a unit from the mod The Ancient Age (TAA).

= Links

Required Tools: AoE3Ed , Photoshop, Notepad, Photoshop Bumpmap Plug-In , Targa File Format (+Alpha Channel, Photoshop 7.0 only)

Basic Knowledge:

Unit Creation Tutorial
Before you start texturing, you must know how to create a new unit. This Tutorial by Lord Tahattus should give you all answers you need:

Photoshop Layer Working
If you are new to Photoshop and the work with layers, check out this tutorial first. It's rather old and most things can also be done with right-click menues, nevertheless it explains the essential basics.

AoE3Ed FileConverter
Two important things about the FileConverter you need to know. Most beginners get errors when they try to convert tga-files back to ddt. Mainly this happens cause they forgot to add the number signature. Keep in mind:

• Colour Textures need to be named like this: Hastatus.(0,1,8,5)
  • Bumpmap Textures need to be named like this: Hastatus_b.(6,0,9,1)

Note: Hastatus is only the optional unit name in this tutorial.

Photoshop 7.0
    The Targa files of this version are not able to save targa files with alpha channels. Therefore you need to download the new Targa File Format, check the link on top. Once downloaded, open the installation directory of your Photoshop, delete the old targa file and extract the ZIP paket in this directory: ...\Photoshop\Plug-Ins\File Formats. Changes will occur after a restart of your Photoshop.

If you still have problems understanding the tutorial, ask here, I'll add it to the main post.

Main Part

I. Size & Structure

Okay, you adequately understood how to create a unit. An opened texture in front of you and you have absolutely no idea how it works.
    Well, every texture is divided into parts. Unfortunately you can't just texture the model. The difficulty of textures is to find the parts in the texture on the ingame unit.
    There are some textures which have an identical structure, but most of them are different.

So your first job is always to find out where the parts of the texture are shown in-game. There is a special method for that, the so called "colour method". Here the current texture of the Roman Hastatus and its previous original texture, the Age IV Longbowman:

As you can see the Hastatus texture has the double size (128x128) of the Longbow texture (64x64). Larger textures allow you to make more detailed skins, be aware that you should enlarge the image just with x2 or x4 but not with x3 or x5 cause otherwise you will most probably mess up your texture and it won't work. If you think it's necessary to enlarge the texture (and that can be quite often), I recommend you the double size.

You can see the numbers and letters outside the texture I added. They'll help you to understand the parts of this unit:

1. Column
    A/B - arms and hands
    C/D - legs and feet

2. Column
    A - helmet
    B/C/(D) - upper and lower body
    D - obviously for weapons & shields

3. Column
    A - head/face
    B/C/(D) - upper and lower body
    D - obviously for weapons & shields

II. Layers

In Photoshop you work with Layers (if you don't know how that works, go to the top of the page and check the second tutorial ). Probably you won't finish the texture in one move, often you will improve your texture a few times. So it is be advisable to save your texture as .psd (Photoshop-Format). Even if you think you finished your unit (and you might be right), never ever merge all layers of the textures to one layer ('Flatten Image' function), later you won't be able to edit special parts of the texture anymore or reuse parts if you want to.

The Hastatus psd-file has several layers: background, helmet, breast plate, belts and also layers which help me to find out where things of my texture appear in-game. These layers should not be too large and have a different colour so that you are able to distinguish each of them ingame. This is called the "Colour Method".
    I did that with my unit when I wanted to find out back and front part of the body, thus I created two squares: One red, one green, saved and converted the Targa file back to DDT and later on - ingame - I saw red and green parts on my unit. The colour method helps you orientating yourself in the texture. You can use this universal method for all parts of the texture.

III. Alpha Layer [Player Colours]

Now let's continue with the Alpha Layer. It's actually pretty easy. Open the window 'Channels' and create the Alpha layer like this . A new channel will appear, it'll be completely black.

From the tutorial of Tahattus you should know that black will be replaced ingame with the playercolour. So it's your job now to have the right relation of white and black parts. Grey parts are half-playercolour and half-original texture. It's important to know that texture colour and the brightness of tones in the alpha layer are adding each other. So a black part in your texture darkens the player colour in spite of the fact that this part in the Alpha Layer is 100% white. Therefore player colour parts in the texture are mainly white or have only bright colours.

There is an easy way to get only special parts white. For the Hastatus I selected every layer that is not supposed to have playercolour later on. It'd be very time-consuming to select every layer with the selection tool, so luckily there is an easier way: Layer Masks make it possible to select the layers in their original form. In the window 'Layers' you select any layer which is not supposed not to have playercolour, right-click on this one and choose 'Select Layer Transparency' - in most cases you'll have to select more than just one layer, this can be done with 'Add Layer Mask'.
    After you selected all the needed parts you switch to the alpha channel and just press the delete button of your keyboard (note: secondary colour must be white! ), now I got something like this . The important black parts are just the body and the shoulders in this example, all other black parts are superflous test parts.
    In the alpha channel you should avoid using Antialias tools, make sharp outlines, otherwise you'll have half-playercolour/half-texture parts ingame, which look spongy.

IV.Bumpmaps

This chapter is about making bumpmaps (following: bumps). They are making textures shiny and give them heights and depths ('bumps'). Bumpmaps are own textures, which means that they also need an own file Therefore you need to create an own targa file and also a photoshop fil. The photoshop file is rather of practical use, but essential. The coloured texture should always be available in layers. However, for a bumpmap you need all these layers merged into one layer. Later on you'll see why. It's very important to stick to this rule. The worst thing that can happen is that you can't edit your normal texture anymore because it only consists of one layer.

There's a little trick to avoid that: 1.) If you're done with your normal texture, merge all layers to one, copy the layer, 2.) Open a new psd file and paste the merged layer into this, 3.) Go back to the psd file with the normal texture and undo the merging step and save.

There is a common system to name these files to see the difference between the normal colour textures and the bumpmap which belongs to it. You just attach a _b to the file name which it's based on, in this case: Hastatus_b.tga for Hastatus.tga and even the shield texture which we will create later on would need an own bumpmap, which would be Hastatus_shield_b.tga then.
    Bumpmaps may be own textures, however, you do not have to create any new things, because bumpmaps always base on the textures you already made. Take a look on these two bumps, Hastatus_b.tga and Hastatus_shield_b.tga:

Hastatus

Shield

You know one of them. However, both are made of textures which you can see in part I and V. I deleted all the parts which are not supposed to be shiny, as you can see I changed the opacity of the shoes - so it's partially shiny.

There are two colours you should pay attention to in bumps: red and blue. I can say that the way of shade of these colours is important. Take a look on already existing bumpmaps and try to immitate their style.

To be able to make bumpmaps you need a Plug-In for Photoshop. Download it here:

» Adobe Photoshop Normal Map and DDS Authoring Plug-ins Installer Version 8.23 (4.2 MB) «

After you installed the Plug-In in your Photoshop directory, you'll find it in Filters » NVIDIA Tools » NormalMapFilter....

Now you are gonna learn how to work with it, therefore I made a little overview which I'll explain :

• 1) Before we start, make sure all has is merged into one layer, otherwise the plug-in will just change one layer into a bumpmap. After you merged your layers into one, copy and paste it into a new photoshop-file (don't forget the trick).

• 2) Open the Plug-In, now let me explain the most relevant functions:

Height Generation
    Filter Type: Intensity of blur.
    Scale: Strength of contrast. The higher the value is, the harder are the contrasts between soft and shiny. A good value is for a soft texture is '2'.

Alternate Conversions: Attention! This is the place where things can go easily wrong, cause here you choose the method how the plug-in is supposed to 'treat' the texture.Here some examples:

If you're looking closely to them you can find some distinct differences. 'Biased RGB' looks inverted, while 'Max (R,G,B)' and 'Colorspace' look quite similar concerning the way of lighting. Nevertheless even the last two methods are different. While 'Max R,G,B' has rather a hilly texture, 'Colorspace' has a clearly smoother appearance. So when you have a unit with wrinkled clothes 'Max (R,G,B)' would be the best choice. Hitherto I always took either Colorspace or Max.

.. for 3D View Options read Step 3.

• 3) This third step is not a must. Actually you can leave it out, but since it gives you the possibilites to see the effect of the bumpmap on the other texture without starting the game it might be in your interest to use it. Let me explain, it's really easy:

3D View Options:

Use Decal Texture - activate it if you want to see your texture together with the bumpmap. Then put the button with the three dots and select your coloured texture (tga-format!). Texture loaded, nice.
    Brighten Decal - well, makes the entire texture + bumpmap brighter.
    Animate Light - activate it, cause without light the entire action was senseless. The light will circulate around your texture to show you the bumpmap from different angles.
    Alpha Blending - will show you the playercolour in blue.
    Filter - relates to the Filter Type Options in 'Height Generation'

Press '3D Preview' - happy watching, you can change the angle via mouse/keyboard.

After you finished your settings, agree to them by pressing 'OK'. Make sure that you closed the 3D Viewer, the changes won't be approved before the Viewer was not closed (if you used it).

That's it.

As I said bumpmaps are own textures, so the way of incorporating them is exactly the same as with basic textures:

By the way, even Bumpmaps have an Alpha Layer. Why? Well, if you just use the bumpmap as it is now, your unit will have a glow over . You need to set lighting priorities to specify reflecting parts.
    It's already explained in part III how to create Alpha Layers, for bumps obtains this rule: black parts are the less shiny, soft parts - white parts the opposite and grey again in between. I recommend using white only for metallic things and (dark) grey for leather for example - things which still reflect a bit of the sun light. There are also units who don't need any white or grey, but just a black alpha layer. Here the Alpha Channel of Hastatus_b.tga:

Totalling the amount of textures you should get a 6. Inside your folder there should be 2 psd-files (normal colour texture + bump), 2 tga-files ( " ), 2 ddt-files (converted tga-files). Right? Fine, then let's open the last chapter.

V. Attachments

Let's say your unit is using a shield, a hat or anything else from another unit. Of course you have to texture this too. I had to do that with the shield of the hastatus and it goes like this: Since the shield of the Hastatus is originally the shield from the bolas warrior the texture of the shield is logically inside the bolas warrior texture. What you do now is simple: You make a copy of the bola texture and rename it to what it is supposed to be, in this case: Hastatus_shield.tga.
    Then you start editing the texture, blacken all parts which are not needed for the shield. Since it's just another texture and not another special type, you can do the same things with it as with the first texture, enlarge it for more details, use an alpha layer etc. - the shield of the Hastatus looks like this:

You don't know how to give unit attachments? Check Lord Tahattus Tutorial again.

V.Final Result

Just enjoy.

Hope to see some textures next time, good luck!

Note: This texture is very old, it's the first texture I ever made. ;-] The new Hastatus can be seen here.

- This tutorial may not be copied on other sites without my permission -

» The Ancient Age | Napoleonic Era «

» Modding is art! «

[This message has been edited by Tilanus Commodor (edited 07-21-2009 @ 10:51 AM).]

• Replies:
    posted 05-27-09 06:39 PM EDT (US)     1 / 40  
    Great tut! This will really help the beginners over here...

The colour method is pretty straight-forward, it's very useful though, especially with smaller parts, like the hat of a (standard) longbowman...

peugeot407

PS: It's funny that you seem to make the textures 128x128 all the time, I just keep sticking to the (way too large) 512x512...

|> Robert Faber (aka peugeot407)
    |> Humble Creator of: Knights and Barbarians, Danish Civ Mod, Several Tutorials and the Tutorial Database
    |> November 2007 Modding Contest: 2nd place (me: 360 pts, Captain_Soanso: 365 pts!)
    |> January 2008 Modding Contest: first place!

When in doubt, flat out! (Colin McRae)
    posted 05-27-09 06:46 PM EDT (US)     2 / 40  
    Great tutorial. Some of that stuff I didn't even know I needed (I always wondered what those other textures are for). I was going to say something, but I forgot what I was going to say.

Edit: Could you use this for other things, like portraits? (like how you make your image x2 or x4) And the thing I forgot will GIMP be suitable for this, because that is what I have.

Senatus Populusque Romanus (SPQR) - The Senate and the Roman people
    "Veni vidi vici"- Julius Caesar- I came, I saw, I conquered
    "Ego vos hortor ut amicitiam omnibus rebus humanis anteponatis." - Cicero - I urge you to set friendship before all other human affairs.

[This message has been edited by Dedonus (edited 05-27-2009 @ 06:55 PM).]

posted 05-27-09 07:20 PM EDT (US)     3 / 40  
    @peugeot - Actually this tut was getting dusty on ne.elpea.net, I thought it'd be better to have it here And yeah, I always work with 128x128. 512x512 wow, that's too large for me. Furthermore it takes up more space. :P

@Dedonus - Portraits etc. are only slightly different. Not every tga needs a bump, you'll see which ones need one by surfing through the BAR-files However, mainly just the number signatures are different.

Edit: You may test the resize thing on your own, some files do, some not. However, I can say that GIMP is able to do this. It's free and you can still get good results, but IMO photoshop is so much easier to handle, I guess you'll find no one writing an tutorial for GIMP, nevertheless the principle remains the same. ;-)

» Modding is art! «

[This message has been edited by Tilanus Commodor (edited 05-27-2009 @ 07:23 PM).]

posted 05-28-09 12:10 PM EDT (US)     4 / 40  
    Thanks.
    Also, would I need a plug-in for Bimpmap for GIMP?

"Ego vos hortor ut amicitiam omnibus rebus humanis anteponatis." - Cicero - I urge you to set friendship before all other human affairs.
    posted 05-28-09 05:19 PM EDT (US)     5 / 40  
    I've no idea, check the program menues, if you don't find something useful, just google "Bumpmap GIMP", this should answer all your questions.

» Modding is art! «

[This message has been edited by Tilanus Commodor (edited 05-29-2009 @ 06:51 AM).]

posted 05-28-09 10:29 PM EDT (US)     6 / 40  
    Lol, bout time.
    Looks good Tilanus, great work.

Lead designer for The War of the Triple Alliance Mod
    "It's a trap, for noobs. Looks like you're a noob, congratulations. Read the instructions this time."
    -Lord Tahattus
    "Most SDers don't have any knowledge on scripting. We do. You can impress them but not us."
    -invent00r
    posted 05-29-09 09:29 AM EDT (US)     7 / 40  
    Great Tutorial.
    Also, would I need a plug-in for Bimpmap for GIMP?
    I found this tutorial for it: http://www.tankedup-imaging.com/bumpmap.html
    Is it the same?

[This message has been edited by Sir_Hans (edited 05-29-2009 @ 09:31 AM).]

posted 05-31-09 09:47 PM EDT (US)     8 / 40  
    Hm, not sure. It says bump map, but you need a map like in this tutorial. Try it.

I've found this one: http://davenunez.wordpress.com/2008/07/21/using-the-gimp-to-create-bump-maps-for-fsx/

But it seems you've to do some 'file work'. Alvaro_qc could help here, I know he was doing building texturing with GIMP.

» Modding is art! «
    posted 06-01-09 08:52 AM EDT (US)     9 / 40  
    Sorry to bother with questions, but i've a problem that can't absolutely understand..
    I read your tutorial (great work!), so i started to bump my units:

this was the Forest Warrior texture:

and this the model not bumped

this is my waorking page on PS:

as u can see i bumped the texture, set the Alpha Channel black (for avoiding shining) and obviously used one layer:

[img=http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4223/woekingd.jpg][/img]

but in the game the result is this! :

[img=http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/6755/resultpum.jpg][/img]

I tried the different 3 way of bumping, tried to set che A channel in white, gray and black, made a lot of experiments, but it always shows no bump and a total shining model.
    What's warong? O___O
    Thanx

[This message has been edited by Hunkas (edited 06-01-2009 @ 09:04 AM).]

posted 06-01-09 11:15 AM EDT (US)     10 / 40  
    I think you have to erase (or delete) the parts in the bumpmap that are not suppose to be shiny.
    I deleted all the parts which are not supposed to be shiny, as you can see I changed the opacity of the shoes - so it's partially shiny.
    This is right under his bumpmap images.

I also have a question. I have been trying for a couple of days to give on of my units a new texture, but the texture my unit has in game is the original texture that the unit I used for the model. Here's the code:
    <component>
    ModelComp
    <logic type="LowPoly">
    <normal>
    <assetreference type="GrannyModel">
    <file>units\asians\natives\rattan_shield\rattan_shield</file>
    <replacetexture>
    <from>units\asians\natives\rattan_shield\rattan_shield_0</from>
    <to>Benese\units\Phalanx\Phalanx</to>
    </replacetexture>
    </assetreference>
    <attach a="sword" frombone="MASTER" tobone="bip01 Prop1" syncanims="0"/>
    <attach a="shield" frombone="bone_shield" tobone="L FOREARM" syncanims="0"/>
    </normal>
    </logic>
    <decal>
    <effecttype>default</effecttype>
    <texture isfakeshadow="1">shadows_selections\shadow_circle_32x32</texture>
    <selectedtexture>shadows_selections\selection_circle_32x32</selectedtexture>
    <width>1.0</width>
    <height>1.0</height>
    </decal>
    </component>
    All of my folders exist and are spelled right. Is it the
    <logic type="LowPoly">
    messing it up?

[This message has been edited by Dedonus (edited 06-01-2009 @ 11:48 AM).]

posted 06-01-09 12:13 PM EDT (US)     11 / 40  
    You have not spelled right the from path :-P

the model is:
    units\asians\natives\rattan_shield\rattan_shield

but the texture is:
    units\asians\natives\rattan_shield\shield_rattan_0

About my problem,if u see the image i linked there is no shiny parts, the Alpha Channel is all black.. i can't understand...

[This message has been edited by Hunkas (edited 06-01-2009 @ 12:16 PM).]

posted 06-01-09 02:07 PM EDT (US)     12 / 40  
    You have not spelled right the from path :-P

the model is:
    units\asians\natives\rattan_shield\rattan_shield

but the texture is:
    units\asians\natives\rattan_shield\shield_rattan_0
    Darn it! For a second, I thought "isn't that what I have?", but it is shield_rattan_0, not rattan_shield_0! My B.

I think the Alpha Layer determines how bright or dull the shine is and the bumpmap determines where it shines. Look at Tilanus's Hastatus_b. There are areas with the square boxes texture and if you look at his final product, that is where his unit does not shine. I'll try to mess around with it and report back if I find anything.

Thanks for you help, I hope I helped you.

[This message has been edited by Dedonus (edited 06-01-2009 @ 08:32 PM).]

posted 06-02-09 12:25 PM EDT (US)     13 / 40  
    Ok, I too solved my problem :-D
    posted 06-02-09 01:25 PM EDT (US)     14 / 40  
    Right now I am having problems with player colors. First off, should I use Flatten image or merge layers when I am changing my GIMP file into a tga? Also, I am not really sure how to alter the Alpha channel.

Edit: I just read this:
    The Targa files of this version are not able to save targa files with alpha channels. Therefore you need to download the new Targa File Format, check the link on top.
    I probably have to download a plug-in that allows GIMP to save alpha layers or do something...

[This message has been edited by Dedonus (edited 06-02-2009 @ 10:58 PM).]

posted 06-04-09 12:04 PM EDT (US)     15 / 40  
    Right now I am having problems with player colors. First off, should I use Flatten image or merge layers when I am changing my GIMP file into a tga? Also, I am not really sure how to alter the Alpha channel.
    No, if you save your file you don't have to merge all layers into one, the program is doing this on its own, you can check that by opening the saved targa, there are no layers anymore. However, you always need to save the file with layers if you want to change something. Layers are only there to make work easier for you. For the game itself layers are totally irrelevant.
    Edit: I just read this:
    The Targa files of this version are not able to save targa files with alpha channels. Therefore you need to download the new Targa File Format, check the link on top.
    I probably have to download a plug-in that allows GIMP to save alpha layers or do something...
    I was only referring to Photoshop 7.0 - this is not for GIMP. I'm sorry, I can't help you with GIMP. I don't use it at all.

» Modding is art! «

[This message has been edited by Tilanus Commodor (edited 06-04-2009 @ 12:12 PM).]

posted 06-04-09 01:15 PM EDT (US)     16 / 40  
    You don't need a plugin for GIMP (if you have an up-to-date version). There was a similiar discussion here - should help.
    posted 06-04-09 01:58 PM EDT (US)     17 / 40  
    That wasn't about Bump for Bump you need a Plug-In. I downloaded it but didn't know where... xD
    posted 06-04-09 02:02 PM EDT (US)     18 / 40  
    tssh tssh Sir_Hans - you don't read enough
    The theme was "Right now I am having problems with player colors."
    And wasn't just that your problem in this thread? *g*
    posted 06-04-09 03:23 PM EDT (US)     19 / 40  
    Oh lol but for bump you need a plug in xD
    posted 06-04-09 06:09 PM EDT (US)     20 / 40  
    Okay, I tried to start fresh with a new texture, but only a little bit of the player color appeared. I am using the Rattan Shield (as you can tell from my previous posts) as the base of the texture. The only player colors that are showing is just a little stripe around the neck (where the collar is), and a little bit on the shield. The rest is black. This texture does have an alpha channel (the Rattan Shield alpha layer). Here is an image. Sorry for the quality. [JPEG, (374.04 KB)]

Is it better to save the TGA file as a GIMP file, then edit it or what?

Thanks for all of your help.

[This message has been edited by Dedonus (edited 06-04-2009 @ 06:29 PM).]

posted 06-05-09 11:00 AM EDT (US)     21 / 40  
    If you want to see your result in AoE3, you must save it as tga and then convert to ddt.
    If you intend more changes, perhaps have a secondary layer for better editing, then save your work as metafile - eg. in GIMP format.
    posted 06-05-09 11:15 AM EDT (US)     22 / 40  
    If you want to see your result in AoE3, you must save it as tga and then convert to ddt.
    If you intend more changes, perhaps have a secondary layer for better editing, then save your work as metafile - eg. in GIMP format.
    I already did both the change to ddt and more then one layer. . I'm not really sure what you mean by metafile. I tried to look it up; wikipedia said it was "a generic term for a file format that can store multiple types of data". I'm not really sure what type of file it is, meaning what is the ending I am suppose to put on the file, like .tga for tga files, etc.

Also, I am leaving for vacation today, so that is why I will not be responding for the next few days. I just wanted to let you guys know so if you guys try to help with the above problem, you will not think (hopefully): "Dude, we are trying to help. Where is he?".

[This message has been edited by Dedonus (edited 06-05-2009 @ 11:16 AM).]

posted 06-05-09 11:56 AM EDT (US)     23 / 40  
    A metafile is just what you have read in Wiki - it can store all (useful or needless) information of current used program - from mousepointer movement upto your alcoholic level *g*
    Seriously: it makes work easier when re-editing previous projects. But your result needs an output in common file format - for AoE3 a TGA file which has to be converted to DDT.
    posted 06-05-09 12:38 PM EDT (US)     24 / 40  
    Also, I am leaving for vacation today, so that is why I will not be responding for the next few days.
    Same counts for me, will be on vacation for one week.

Aliquantillum gaudium, sine sollicitudine et cum aliquibus amicis commorans, in oppidum Korakesion, quod in provincia Lycia et Pamphyli situm est, habebo.

» Modding is art! «
    posted 06-05-09 01:56 PM EDT (US)     25 / 40  
    Aliquantillum gaudium, sine sollicitudine et cum aliquibus amicis commorans, in oppidum Korakesion, quod in provincia Lycia et Pamphyli situm est, habebo.
    [rough translation]I will have a bit of joy, with out worry and staying with some friends, in the town Korakesion, since it is located in the provinces Lycia and Pamphyli. [/rough translation] Am I right?

@Bilbo: So when you said that my results "need an output in common file format - for AoE3 a TGA file which has to be converted to DDT", does that mean the metafile isn't a tga? So would I have to first make the metafile into a tga(using "save as"), then converting it to a DDT?

[This message has been edited by Dedonus (edited 06-05-2009 @ 02:09 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Modding Discussions » Texturing Tutorial
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames