Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Galley sling - kill your opponents by 8 minss on a water map
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 10-29-05 00:56 AM EDT (US)   
The Galley Sling
By Maveric_LOL

The galley sling is a strategy I came up with for AOE3 maps with significant amounts of water. It works best on the Caribbean, and Amazonian maps, however it can also be very effective on Yucatan and Patagonia. It is marginally successful on the Carolina and Saguenay maps. So far the only person to sucessfully counter it in FFA, 1v1 or team games has been Mokon.

Essentially the galley sling is a rush (on a water map no less) that is even more evil than skeletor. If done correctly you can leave your opponent with no dock and more importantly no TC by the 8 minute mark, possibly even the 7 minute mark if you execute it perfectly. I don’t know about you, but I know that when I loose my TC at 7 minutes it hurts like a motherf****. This strategy is incredibly effective because people just don’t see it coming and are simply floored by it. It works great in both 1v1 and team games, but be warned if you mess it up it can be quite hard to recover.
To perform the galley sling you will need to have the “Ship 1 free Galleon (or Fluyte) to the new world” card in your deck and you will need to be able to train grenadiers in age 2. This strategy has been tested with British and Russians only however I don’t see any real reason why it would not work for other civs that have access to the required card and grenadiers in age 2. For other civs this strategy may need to be tweaked as a result of different age up free resources. The Strategy works because people don’t expect a rush of this sort so quickly on maps with alot of water and often times lack the resources to hire mercenaries or have already spent their shipments on econ related items.

Below is a general outline, you may want to tweak it slightly to tailor it to your civ and the given map situation but this is the general outline.
Below the outline is a recorded game of the sling being used in a 3v3 on ESO2. My teamates are all LoL members.

At first this strategy can seem counter intuitive considering the map but that’s the way its supposed to be.

1. Start off as normal like you are playing a land only map. Don’t build a dock before advancing as you will need the wood to build houses since you wont have any villagers on wood early on. If your British use the starting wood to make house(s) and get your 1 or 2 free villagers. Put all villagers on food as they come out of the tc. Use your first shipment to send some free villagers, but save your second shipment it is important that you save it because you will need it shortly. You should aim to push advance at around 3:30 to 4:00 or so with 15-18 villagers. Upon clicking age up immediately send 4 villagers to mine gold and put 4 on wood, leave the rest on food.
    [Mazarin_LOL, who tested this as Russians for me notes that he sometimes has about 3-4 villagers on wood in age 1

2. As soon as you hit age 2 order the free galley from the HC and queue up some villagers in your TC and set the rally point on the closest tree’s. By this time you should have at least 800 food and hopefully about 300-400 or so gold. If you receive free gold from the age up at the TC (I do because I play British mostly) task a single gold miner on that.

3. As the galley arrives send it immediately to the enemy shore. While it is in route take 1 settler off of wood and have them build at least 1 house preferably 2 then re task him to wood. You should aim to be able to support at least 30 preferably 40 pop by the time the galley hits the opponents shore.

4. As soon as the galley reaches their shore beach it and use it to train 5 grenadiers. If the enemy dock is not in sight move the ship along the coast and march the grenadiers in the opposite direction. If you find the dock pull your galley right up alongside it and train 5 more grenadiers. Ignore any fire received from the dock or outpost if they are using one to protect the dock. If there is no dock at all precede direct to the opponents TC.

5. Task your 10 grenadiers on the dock it will go down in no time. They probably won’t have a chance to get out a ship. Use the galley to train longbows if you are British or skirmishers if your civ has those. You will use these to protect the grenadiers.

6. Immediately march inland and locate their TC (the quicker the better). Attack with you’re your grenadiers. Use your galley to train additional grenadiers as they really take buildings down fast and are effective against groups of villagers, like when they are grouped around a mine (hint hint). If you see them trying to throw up a barracks or stable task the grenadiers on it right away they will make short work of a partially completed foundation. The TC however is your prime objective it must be razed at all cost. If they call our militia split your grenadiers into 2 groups and separate them as they will most likely try to melee your grenadiers in that case let them militia beat up on the 1 group while you target them with the 2nd group of grenadiers and your support infantry.

7. Once the TC is down use the grenadiers to start razing the other buildings. This if all goes according do plan should be happening anywhere from around 6 minutes to 8 minutes into the game with 8 minutes being the latest really. Outposts come first (so they have no place to send shipments) followed by military buildings, then houses. Spread out your support infantry and blanket the area and pick off the villagers if your opponent has not already resigned. Start training cavalry to run down any hidden villagers.

There you have it your opponent now has no TC, no docks and hopefully few if any villagers and its only 6-8 minutes into the game, and hopefully you have been booming the whole time so that if the rush diddent finish them you can deliver the finishing blow at your leisure.
Team Games:

The galley sling works in team games as well and has been tested in 2v2 and 3v3 games. It however has not been tested in 4v4 games and I personally don’t think it will be quite as effective in a 4v4.

In team games the ideal situation is for 2 players to perform the sling and target the same opponent so that you knock that person out of the game either permanently or at least for a good while. This can reduce a 3v3 to a 3v2, and while 2 players are rushing the third player can boom and make a strong navy to control the water.

In a 2v2 it is recommended that only 1 player rush while the other boom.

Recorded game of galley sling in action

Enjoy.

Brethren bound by justice. Souls who fear not death.
Soldiers of good. Champions of Light.
Together we stand forever. The Legion Of Light.
~The Legion Of Light~
Replies:
posted 10-29-05 01:34 AM EDT (US)     1 / 46  
Nice strat.

I love it.

posted 10-29-05 08:49 AM EDT (US)     2 / 46  
lol!

This is actually quite interesting. I play as spanish so I can't get grenadiers but I may be able to amass a quick army of pikemen to take down some buildings, and with spainish quick shipments and strong navy it could be fun. Thanks to you I've added another potentially fun strat to my arsenal!

posted 10-29-05 11:12 AM EDT (US)     3 / 46  
can you perform the galley sling in the trial? or is the free galley crad only available after level 9 hc?

i like the sound of this strat alot.

Eso: scuzz
posted 10-29-05 12:29 PM EDT (US)     4 / 46  
It's after level 9, at least for Russians.

It's definitely a fun strat to play around with...In 3v3's we've found it's best to 2v1 someone with it, as the chance of it being successful greatly increases when you double the amount of Grens on someone. So you can pretty much knock one person out of the running leaving it a 3v2 for a while Only problem in 3v3's is when you're doing this, the other two guys are free to amass ships, leaving your grens cut off. This is why I usually have the 4 on wood early on so I can contribute at least a little to helping with the sea that our booming 3rd partner is working to control.

Mazarin Ashinar
The Legion of Light
posted 10-29-05 12:39 PM EDT (US)     5 / 46  
This works even better as Ottomans. With the starting wood Ottomans get, you don't need to put any vils on wood ever... You can build 4-5 houses with what you start with. Age up early, train grenadiers and janissaries from the galley, and get the janissary shipment as soon as you can. I've done this several times, noone expects it at all

Talanos | AoM + AoE3H's former Unofficial Angel
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
FPHMSNITtalon@transalt.com
posted 10-29-05 01:15 PM EDT (US)     6 / 46  
yeah this leaves most people with their jaws on the floor going wtf

~The Legion Of Light~
posted 10-29-05 01:35 PM EDT (US)     7 / 46  
haha I remember that FFA when you tried that and you just screwed yourself over

;zlskehrt;oaweifalkdjfa;io3
posted 10-29-05 01:44 PM EDT (US)     8 / 46  
lol yeah and then Mokon totally pwned it diddent he

~The Legion Of Light~
posted 10-29-05 05:44 PM EDT (US)     9 / 46  
I'd like to thank you very much for this strat. IT gave me a basis on making my own, for non water maps. Within 10 minutes now the enemy base is gone. I can't alwyas pull of your strat though, as I'm not to great at finding the base with slow naders. Still, thanks for sharing this.

If anyone cares to hear my adaptation, just say so and I'll write it down here.

posted 10-30-05 04:13 PM EDT (US)     10 / 46  
You know a strat is truly great when your enemy never sees it coming, so thank you for letting me see a whole lot more OMFGs, WTFs, and the occasional insult .
posted 10-30-05 04:48 PM EDT (US)     11 / 46  
told ya, this thing is more eviler than skeletor

~The Legion Of Light~
posted 10-30-05 08:15 PM EDT (US)     12 / 46  
What is skeltor?
posted 10-30-05 11:40 PM EDT (US)     13 / 46  
How do you do this with the French? They don't have any Grenadiers.
posted 10-31-05 01:18 AM EDT (US)     14 / 46  
if u read it says this strat is for any civ that has .grenadiers
posted 11-04-05 03:30 PM EDT (US)     15 / 46  
"NooB in the house!"

I'm having trouble with this even as Brits against AI Spain. Here's how it has gone a couple of times:

Grens go one way, galleon goes the other. Grens keep walking, galleon runs out of beach and turns around. Grens keep walking, galleon far behind. Grens sight dock...and get attacked by pikes or rolderos. Kill a few, then withdraw toward the ship which produces 5 more grens. The 9 surviving grens blast their way through the infantry and attack the dock while the galleon moves alongside and starts producing longbows...while getting pounded by the Spanish TC. The good thing about this is that the TC isn't blowing away the grens. Dock goes down, 7 or 8 grens and 5 longbows start toward TC. Another 10 pikes/rolderos attack, and the galleon tries to produce some pikes...but can only start 3 before running out of food. [Guess I created too many villagers.] The pikes join the fray, and are slaughtered along with the rest as still more Spanish troops arrive. The galleon wallows away, crippled. TC damaged only about 60%. A few villies killed when they got in the way. Some pikes and rolderos were killed.

Seems that I should have had the troops board the galleon when the dock went down, abandoning the raid rather than squandering all the resources.

Now it's possible that the attack did enough damage to allow a British boom.

posted 11-04-05 08:14 PM EDT (US)     16 / 46  

Quote:

Wrong. You need to make MORE villagers and simply continue this unnending pounding until you have killed their villagers and destroyed al of there soldiers.

The RoL forum colors make me sooo hungry.
-Unit Costs for 5-Philbo1-Explorer Micro-
B_E looks like a demented evil smiley.-Botolf

Stonewall Pwns
posted 11-04-05 09:45 PM EDT (US)     17 / 46  
Holy god. Someone did this to me in a 2v2. My team was geared up for a navy battle on Amazonia, so naturally, I was boat booming and had a navy deck on hand. Anyway, I noticed the enemy aged up much faster than me or my ally. I eventualy aged up with a really strong economy at around 7 minutes, and about right at that time, about 30 jans and grenadiers were at my dock and destroyed it. Then they marched and destroyed my TC. Little did they know, I ran all of my villies way across the map and I was still boat booming. I rebuilt my TC and aged up to Fortress age, before the rusher did. but they got my TC again before I went imperial. but the good thing was my villagers eluded their jannisaries and grenadiers again and started chopping wood by the safety of my powerful naval fleet. I rebuilt my TC by the shoreline again and aged up to industrial age and built monitors, while both rushers were still in fortress age. Unfortunately. I couldn't fight back on land, but I had total control of the water. Long story short. I used my ships to ferry my villagers away from being slaughtered again and again while creating a powerful navy. After an hour or so, the enemies finally figured out how to win, by lining the rivers with mortars and using frigates to drive my navy back into a corner where I eventually lost. Funny thing is, I came out of that game with the most EXP. I think it was because of my naval victories and monitor bombardments.
posted 11-05-05 00:24 AM EDT (US)     18 / 46  
Philbo1: Your quote disappeared but I know what you meant. I know to keep pumping villagers from the TC except when aging up. I ran out of food after producing 10 grenadiers, 5 longbows and 3 pikes. I think I actually had one more vill on food than suggested above, and that I had 16 vills when I hit the aging button.

As for continuing the unrelenting pounding, I ended up as the poundee and not the pounder. My force was wiped out to a man, my resources were temporarily exhausted, and my galleon was on the verge of sinking. It seemed to be time to, um, retrench.

I could have moved the galleon out of harm's way (back to my side of the straight, probably), built units as the resources became available, stuffed 'em in the hold of the galleon, then landed them as an army of about 10 gren/10-20 longbow/10 pikes.

This *seemed* inferior to booming while grabbing and maintaining sea control, intending to go back with a vengeance later. So what I chose to do was bring the galleon back to my dock (which was pumping fishing boats against the inevitable exhaustion of the herd animals). I shipped towers to protect my dock and my outer mine. I built a small reaction force of longbows and muskets. I shipped one caravel and built another two (intending to maintain sea control).

posted 11-05-05 04:22 AM EDT (US)     19 / 46  
I just did this strat in a 2v2 and it worked very well. Map was Amazonia, I was Dutch, my teammate Germans but not participating in the rush. As I aged up I had the typical (for dutch) 5 on gold and the rest on food. Got a 500 wood from aging and built a few houses while waiting for my Flyut.

Once it came I immediately sent it to the enemy shore, where I saw no dock. I trained 5 grens and put the back on the boat in search of the dock. Next beach over was a villager pounding away at one. Just as my grenadiers landed they had their first task of eliminating the dock. No trouble there.

Made 5 more grens and marched them straight inland. I think game time was 8:00 or so. He was finishing a barracks as I got there, but my grens made short work of it. Marched right to his TC and started chucking the flames.

His teammate brought some musketeers but those were useless against the grens. TC was down in no time flat. After the damage was done I got back in the boat, 7 grens still alive, accompanied by 3 pikemen.

I was starting to leave shore when I noticed he began construction of yet another dock in the same place as the old one! So of course I had to teach him that lesson one more time!

Good strat. Very funny too.

agecommunity quote of the month Ok i have payed for this game for al my moneythat i get in a month so when i go online isee these 9 year old kids that beat me that have played for 2 weeks and i have played since release of vanilla so im pretty pissed of that es dosent want to do anything about the balance of the game.
posted 11-05-05 08:30 AM EDT (US)     20 / 46  
THANK YOU! Finally I don't have to do anymore 1 hour never ending ship wars.

{¯ˆ·._.*-. Å . Å . Å . Å . Å . Å . Å .-*._.·ˆ¯}
==-==-==- KingAllDat-==-==-==
==-== \Proud Member of the AFK Clan/ ==-==
==-= "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." - Yoda =-==
=-=-=-= We Shoot to Kill! =-=-=-=
posted 11-06-05 00:41 AM EDT (US)     21 / 46  
sick. I also love to cover the shore with mortars late in game... if it goes that far
posted 11-06-05 03:05 AM EDT (US)     22 / 46  
Read it. Done it. It worked... Thanks a lot man ... I've always had a trouble with water maps, and I finally played (and won) a water-map game that didn't last as much as the colonies themselves...
posted 11-06-05 10:35 AM EDT (US)     23 / 46  
You should be aware that ships can dodge mortars if theres not much lag. just change your ship's course and the mortar shell will hit water. I used a caravel and dodged about 10 mortars along the river.

Another point is that mortars aren't the best anti-ship weapons. They have the biggest range, but regular cannons do more damage to ships, Especially heavy cannons. they will sink a ship Very fast.

posted 11-06-05 10:27 PM EDT (US)     24 / 46  
Just a followup about the Brits after the Sling "failed." Yes, it did enough damage to ensure a win. Grabbed sea control, destroyed each subsequent dock by bombardment, boomed, spammed fishing boats, returned to Spain with two galleons and a couple of caravels crammed with troops. As the army marched inland there was a token counterattack and a few dead vills...then Isabella sued for peace before I got in range of any of her buildings. Anticlimax. So the Sling led to the win.

Next try was against France on Amazonia, and the Sling worked precisely as advertised.

The third try was against Spain in the Caribbean, and the problem was that I couldn't find the second herd for a while, so I had a serious food shortage and Spain hit Colonial at least 0:30 ahead. Didn't help Spain all that much as the 8 (or so) grens blew up his rodeleros quite well until the longbows arrived, and blew up the TC smoothly, followed by the barracks, followed by everything else. Very effective even when initially parried.

[This message has been edited by HermannTLombard (edited 11-07-2005 @ 11:44 AM).]

posted 11-07-05 02:12 AM EDT (US)     25 / 46  
I usually as Ottomans hit advance around 2:20 on water maps, get two galleys to transport two villies over and build a rax and an artillery depot. From then on you just play it like a land map but it's a lot easier to win generally.

It won't work what you do vs a good player though, as they will advance around 4:00 probably when you're just starting to and send themselves two galleon shipments which will own your little forward building craft. :\

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » The Galley sling - kill your opponents by 8 minss on a water map
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames