You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Explorer Micro, a complete guide.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 02-15-06 11:12 PM EDT (US)   
This thread is dedicated to the noobs and +25 Ports players out there.

Explorer Micro is one of the simplest and most complicated things of AoE3 in so many ways. Spending too much time on Micro could cause you to not do enough Eco Micro. Not enough and your Explorer will not get treasures and/or die. And we all know that’s not good. So let’s get down to the nitty-gritty.

Table of contents

I. Treasure Gathering
II. Mid-Game Treasure Gathering
III. Explorers in Combat
IV. Late-Game Explorer Combat
V. Explorer Upgrades
VI. Bandeirantes
VII. Acknowledgements

Treasure Gathering

Treasure gathering is actually more complicated than most players are willing to give it credit for. Although it is one of the earliest and most simple forms of combat, it is still very important. Getting an extra 100 food while saving up for Colonial can equal as much as 10 seconds earlier on a rush. I know that that number sounds insignificant, but there is whole cacophony (Bunch) of things that can both favor and disfavor your rush. Some examples are:

Your opponent might have the time to get that extra batch of Skirms or card that sends those few extra Pikemen into their army.

Their vills might be chopping wood instead of hunting, perhaps being farther away form their TC.

They might have put up a wall or any number of defensive features.

OK that was enough about that, I tend to ramble in these things. Back onto treasure gathering then. When gathering treasures, try to take down the Strongest guy with Sniper. For example, on a map with 2 Coyotes and a Rider, you should take down the Rider first, and then the Coyotes.

Yes, yes, gathering small treasures is nice, but what about the BIG ones. Well, one of my preferred methods of taking big treasures is to simply kill a guardian with Sniper and then continue Exploring, once it is recharged, Snipe the next. However, there are also treasures with large amounts of relatively crappy guardians, such as 5 Coyote or Cougar treasures. With these, it is a matter of taking out one with a few shots, preferably with Bump n' Run. You then run away take out another with a few shots. Rinse and repeat.

On gathering Beaver and Muskrat dens: DO IT. There small amount of coin may seem insignificant, but do not disregard it. It also gives your Score a small boost. A very small boost, but if your enemy sees the scores at 50 and 51, he will be a little pissed at the fact that he is behind.

Yet another aspect of treasure gathering is using the Snipe ability. It is important to know how and when to use it. If you use it against say, a Coyote, then you wasted it as you could have killed the Coyote in about 10 Seconds with Bump n' Run. Instead, use it on higher level treasure Guardians, such as Blowgunners, Outlaw Riflemen, Riders, and Pirates. I also use it on animals such as the Polar, Black, and Grizzly bear. BTW, how the hell did a Polar bear end up in the Rockies? They live at the Polar Icecap, I can see maybe one as a fluke, but not 3. Told you I rambled.

Mid-Game Treasure Gathering

In the Mid game, the Explorer is undoubtedly the least useful in everything. This is when you get treasures. IF you are successful, maybe fought off a rush or your Eco is getting going, your Soldier count is high, but your Res count is low. Take a few of those soldiers, preferably Mercs, Hand Infantry, or Light Infantry such as Skirms or Abus. I like those because they can generally pwn treasure Guardians while your Explorer is taking the damage. Here are some tips on Microing your Explorer I Mid Game treasure hunting.
1. Send him in First. Use Snipe to kill one of the toughest Guardians and then have him start shooting the rest. This will generally cause them to all attack your Explorer, but occasionally they will attack the rest of your troops. If more than three attack your troops, then retreat and try again.
2. If you take out a treasure but your Explorer has a low HP level, send him to a minor treasure to get him killed. Say what??? Yes, get him killed. This is so that you can ransom him for the low price of 100 Gold, which you should have. Now he is back at full heath.
3. Use Focus Fire. This is by far the best Treasure killing strat for tougher Guardians. Having 10 Crossbows fire at one Pirate is by far more effective than having all 5 Pirate running off to kill your poor Crossbows.
4. Priests in mid-game treasure gathering can be highly useful fro healing up that last soldier or your explorer is he is at half health. They are the perfect companion to an Explorer party. If you don’t get them killed. It is usually more efficient to have one priest with you than two, because one can perform the same duties as two, but with half the cost.

Explorers in Combat

Explorers are useful in combat, not because they can dish out any significant damage, but because of the HUGE amount they can take. They have 500 HP, and can easily withstand a round of fire from a Colonial army (Unless it is Dutch with Skirms or Otto with Abus) thus giving your troops a chance to fight back. Another great thing about the Explorer is that they can’t die permanently. If he takes 3 rounds of fire, then your army has a chance to put 3 rounds into your opponents’ army. A large percentage of people will put only a few soldiers on your Explorer and focus the rest on your army, but I feel that this strategy is worth mentioning. OMFG OVERTYPE JUST TURNED ON. OK I just adjusted to Microsoft Word. Told you I rambled.

Late-Game Combat

So then why did I skip over Mid-Game combat? Because there is no point to having your Explorer in direct combat with another player. They are still useful to take rounds of fire, but as armies grow bigger they take less and less hits. So send them off to get treasures (see part II; Mid Game treasure Gathering). Now, onto Late-Game Combat!

Once you reach the Industrial age, your Explorer gets the Crackshot Ability, which is essentially another Sniper that works on Soldiers, not just Guardians. Use it wisely! It works on all units, Musketeers, Skirmishers, Hussars. Even the mighty Cuirassier. So be careful with it! Don’t use it on the first unit that pops into view, wait for a better unit to come into range. Your Explorer should be able to withstand the fire form your enemy longs enough to Fire. Suppose that your Enemy has an army of 50 Musketeers, 20 Hussars, 2 Heavy Cannon, and one Merc army (Obviously in the Industrial or Imperial Age.) Killing one Musketeer with Crackshot is a very small thing. A population analysis of your enemies army would be helpful at the moment, I think.
50 Musketeers=50 Pop.
20 Hussars=40 Pop.
2 Heavy Cannons=14 Pop. (I think)
One Mercs Army=Avg. 25 Pop.
50+20+14+25=106 Pop.
By killing one Musketeer, you take down 1 Soldier worth 1 Pop, thus you end up taking down roughly 1% of your enemies army. By taking down a Hussar, you double that to 2%. But we can do better than that, surely? Let’s go for one of the Mercenaries. They take up 3 Pop on average(W/ rounding up), so by killing one, we take out about 3% of your enemies’ army. Still sound insignificant? Let’s consider this on a Category basis, by taking down 1 Musketeer, you take out 2% of likely the least significant category. By taking out a Hussar, they lose about 5% of one category. But by taking down a Mercenary, they lose a whopping 15% of one of the most important category!

Explorer Upgrades

They certainly sound nice, don’t they? An extra 1000 HP for your Explorer, he should certainly be able to withstand lots after that upgrade! And doubling the attack? That is just spoiling the little guy. But let’s think about it logically, each costs 1000 food or more, and your Explorer is only one unit, right? I find that unless you have a game going on for an extremely excessive amount of time, you should not spend the Res. For 1000 Res, you can get 10 Musketeers, which IMO is far better than an extra 1000 HP or double attack fro Explorer. I find that even with a doubled attack, they are still just plain to weak to attack anything normally. Unless you have an Explorer Dog or multiple Explorer upgrades already, there is little point to getting the upgrades.

Bandeirantes

Another time that I find upgrades are useful is if I have used the Bandeirantes card, when the 1000 Extra HP effects all three of my Precious Explorers. A suggestion to ES: Let us name all of our Explorers, not just one! With 3 Crackshot you can take out 3 Heavy Cannons, which should be a significant part of any late-game army. However the Bandeirantes card is only available to Portuguese players higher than 25. So a very select few can use it. As a diehard Ports and Dutch player, I like to add specific sections of my guides to those two Civs.

On Microing your three Explorers, here are some tips.
1. Split them up. If you have them all together, they could get slaughtered by cannon fire if they are not upgraded.
2. Use them like Slow Cavalry, loop them around to kill Ranged Mercs and other “Power Units” if you will.
3. Don’t be afraid to let them die. You can always pay the Ransom of 300 Gold for units which have the highest HP in the game and an instant kill ability.
4. Always pay the ransom. Always. Always. Always. If you need something to pack a punch, you will always have something ready.
5. Don’t be afraid for them to be engaged in regular combat. They can be knocked around plenty without dying, and in long battles can use their Crackshot multiple times.

Acknowledgements

Writing these things really takes time.
Note: If you call me a noob for any reason because of this guide, you can burn in Hell. Or go to heaven. I actually don’t care which. I would like to thank AoE3H for furnishing me with good grammar and spelling, Mokon, for providing me a reason to always spel n’ gramar gud. TheGoodEvil, as I have read his guides and really enjoyed them, and they have been sort of a template for my own. Please don’t sue. And last but not least, Ceres629 for getting me hooked on the booming civilizations, especially Portugal. Hopefully you enjoyed my guide. And MS Word, for not having Overtype like these forums do occaisionally.

The RoL forum colors make me sooo hungry.
-Unit Costs for 5-Philbo1-Explorer Micro-
B_E looks like a demented evil smiley.-Botolf

Stonewall Pwns

[This message has been edited by Philbo1 (edited 02-16-2006 @ 07:04 PM).]

Replies:
posted 02-15-06 11:24 PM EDT (US)     1 / 29  
Crackshot can't kill artillary.
posted 02-15-06 11:35 PM EDT (US)     2 / 29  
Yeah it can. 5000 Damage kills just about anything.

Stonewall Pwns
posted 02-15-06 11:44 PM EDT (US)     3 / 29  
Nice job Philbo1! Just a comment about arty...yes, 500 damage would kill an arty unit, but try targeting an arty with crackshot...you can't, just like you can't crackshot an enemy villie.

Just a few observations I've made during games...

Treasures are worth it for all the reasons you mentioned PLUS you get XP from killing the guardians. Not much, sure, but early game even small amounts of XP go a long way towards a shipment. If you can earn a shipment before your opponent, you've gained an advantage (not to mention all those resources from the treasures).

Steal treasures! By game design or bug (not sure which), you can always see the guardians in areas already explored. If you see one losing health, or attacking an invisible something, go to the far side of the treasure and get just close enough to it that you just are out of the treasure guardians sight (that way the enemy explorer probably won't spot you). Wait until the guardian dies, then grab the treasure before the other guy gets there. Not only did the enemy lose hitpoints off his explorer, not only did you get free resources, but I GUARANTEE you you will blind you opponent in a haze of anger and hate for at least a minute. He will also waste alot of time typing "OMG U NOOBIE U SUK WTF". This will slow him down. I consider this a perfectly valid tactic. DERIVATIVE TACTIC: Don't sneak up on the treasure...join the guardians in attacking the explorer. This will usually frustrate him. You may be able to take him out, or if not you've at least driven him off and reduced his hitpoints. Unfortunately, if you do take him out, the guardians return to full health (but the dead ones obviously stay dead).

- Get an extra unit treasure as one of your first. Could be a scout, indian warrior, a bear, whatever. Use it during early treasure gathering. Make sure (as you mentioned) to have your explorer attack first.

- Don't neglect your economy or primary duties while treasure hunting. The core of managing your early colony is much more important than treasure hunting. Treasure hunting will only give you an edge if your core colony has been effectively managed.

- Team up with allied explorers for getting those big treasures early in the game. Usually they'll be willing to help if it's quid pro quo (he helps you for one treasure, you help him for the next). Use the flare function.

- (This applies mostly to Dutch) Wait until you get to your villager cap before going for the settler or french villie treasures. You can get more than 50 settlers this way. This can be significant.

- Don't neglect exploring, especially the enemy's colonies.

- If you have spare wood (haha, like that ever happens), use the explorer to build a TC in an allie's base. If your's is overrun, you now have a fallback position.

- Mid- to late-game you can also use the explorer as a diversion. I don't know how effective this actually is, but whenever you are attacked, by ANYTHING, significant or not, you get a chime and a flare on your screen. Use this. Have the explorer attack something on one side of map, wait, then attack with your army (or small raiding party) on other side. Basically, not really a confusion strategy, just try to sensory overload your opponent.

- Give your explorer a cool name. Don't be lazy and stick with the default. Your explorer deserves more than that.

[This message has been edited by diesel_123 (edited 02-15-2006 @ 11:47 PM).]

posted 02-16-06 01:01 AM EDT (US)     4 / 29  
posted 02-16-06 01:32 PM EDT (US)     5 / 29  
^They can't.
posted 02-16-06 01:39 PM EDT (US)     6 / 29  
never use the crackshot on a blowgunner, just get them into melee mode. I seem to remember that you can even take two on if you melee one and then run to the other so that both are in melee.

NerVe Clan
SMF AoE3 Recorded Game Data Mod
posted 02-16-06 01:41 PM EDT (US)     7 / 29  
no offence philbo...

everytime i read your guides, they remind me of your brit guide when i read lines like

Quote:

With 3 Crackshot you can take out 3 Heavy Cannons, which should be a significant part of any late-game army

posted 02-16-06 01:59 PM EDT (US)     8 / 29  
explorers with a few supporintg units can give you an advantage to protect the base against raiding partys trying to kill buildings. BUT EXPLORERS DOES NOT KILL ARTILERY!!!!
posted 02-16-06 02:12 PM EDT (US)     9 / 29  
If you need to fight an Outlaw Pistol do so in melee mode. They do less damage in melee and take more from the explorer with ROF and armor factored in.
posted 02-16-06 02:36 PM EDT (US)     10 / 29  
i thought outlaw riflemans do ranged attack regardless how close you are....
posted 02-16-06 03:22 PM EDT (US)     11 / 29  
My expolorers a fat lazy bastard whos ate far too many pies. I tend to just garrison him to hide him away from the world.
posted 02-16-06 03:24 PM EDT (US)     12 / 29  
Umm yeah, for an explorer guide you never mention stuff like meleeing blowgunners/pistols. And EXPLORERS CANNOT KILL ARTILLERY. At least TRY your facts in game before posting them.

|Ca_aok|HG Seraph wannabe|
|{ca_aok@hotmail.com}|
|{ESO2: [EEX] ca_aok}|
O-- Member of EEX, and former member of LKS --O
In the Darkness, there is Light, in the Old, there is New.
From the Void a New Star rises, Shining down for Me and You.
posted 02-16-06 04:25 PM EDT (US)     13 / 29  

Quote:

Im pretty sure they do the same damage but Im pretty sure you do more damage to them in melee..

The explorer cant kill artilery. One tip I have is to use his crackshot against cuirisers (sp?). EDIT oh you mentioned that... well another one I have is that if you use your crackshot on a wolf or any other animal and run a certain distance away (assuming there are two other animals left) you can start shooting one and it will attack your explorer but the other one will run back to the treasure; I find its alot easier than taking on two animals at once.

[This message has been edited by CheleusMaximus (edited 02-16-2006 @ 04:28 PM).]

posted 02-16-06 05:01 PM EDT (US)     14 / 29  
This guide's pretty cool. Maybe you can spruce it up by adding a list of all the treasures? That would really show you put some major work into it. (Not that you haven't already of course...)
posted 02-16-06 05:14 PM EDT (US)     15 / 29  
You also forgot to mention the most important part of explorer micro, which is to position him so that the creeps neither fully attack you nor run back to their den.

ESO: Pagasaeus
posted 02-16-06 05:21 PM EDT (US)     16 / 29  

Quote:

Im pretty sure they do the same damage but Im pretty sure you do more damage to them in melee..

No, they don't

Their ranged attack is a insane 40 damage! While in "melee" (even shooting wiht the shotgun) their damge is reduced to 12, but 2 times faster...

But attacking them in melee is the best choice

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
posted 02-16-06 05:26 PM EDT (US)     17 / 29  
Imperatorius is right.

The most important bit of explorer micro is not listed here.

It is:

Run away as soon as you fight multiple things with your explorer. Keep an eye, and when one of them starts to run back, shoot it. It will get all confused, and basically just stand around - its friends will run back to the base, and then back towards you, by which time you will have killed it. Run away, rinse and repeat - you can take out a gigantic number of non-ranged critters with this, including those nice 3-wolf or 3-cougar treasures, without using sniper shot.

-Cross

posted 02-16-06 06:32 PM EDT (US)     18 / 29  
It’s a nice guide Philbo1,

One thing I wanted to add is using the explorer to find the scattered livestock animals (sheep and cows) around the map.

When I play the Texas map I send my explorer on cow hunting instead of treasure hunting.
If I am lucky, I find all 10 cows and send them to my livestock pen.
5 minutes later I can task my villagers on these cows to get 5000 food at a rate that is 3 times faster compared to the farm.

That translates to 3250 extra food within 5 minutes of food gathering (if I task 8 villagers).
I therefore find cow hunting much better than treasure hunting, and I couldn’t have done it without the explorer.

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 02-16-2006 @ 06:33 PM).]

posted 02-16-06 06:52 PM EDT (US)     19 / 29  
I don't get how to split treasure guardians up. If I run outside of their aggro radius they recover their hp. What am I doing wrong?
posted 02-16-06 06:56 PM EDT (US)     20 / 29  
Perhaps they cahnged it in one of the patches. I remeber doing it before 1.02 came out, but haven't gotten a chance to use it since then. Iwill cahnge the guide to fit that.
@THose of you have have dissed this guide but not actually written any besides lists and basic build-order guides, try writing a REAL guide first.

Stonewall Pwns
posted 02-17-06 01:24 AM EDT (US)     21 / 29  

Quoted from Philbo1:

Perhaps they cahnged it in one of the patches. I remeber doing it before 1.02 came out, but haven't gotten a chance to use it since then. Iwill cahnge the guide to fit that.
@THose of you have have dissed this guide but not actually written any besides lists and basic build-order guides, try writing a REAL guide first.

The difference between a good guide writer and a poor one is the ability to update their guide. You mention people 'dissing' your guide but as a lot of people have pointed out there are missing and even inaccurate elements to your guide and instead of using the edit button and correcting yourself you post to complain about it. If you want your guide to be good then you should just accept constructive criticism. The only person who actually flamed you was Ultimitsu, and you never fixed his legitimate complaint about your guide.

-can't kill artillery or villis with crackshot
-what guardians your explorer can/can't kill solo
-how to fight multiple guardians 1 at a time (you can still do it)
-how to steal others treasures

[This message has been edited by Chair5768 (edited 02-17-2006 @ 01:29 AM).]

posted 02-17-06 08:05 AM EDT (US)     22 / 29  

Quote:

I've had the game not long after it came out and you could never instant kill artillery. You also can't instant kill villies

ESO Name: Commodus
Coming soon to a theater near you...
posted 02-17-06 11:19 PM EDT (US)     23 / 29  
Do you guys even read my posts? Or just read the first three posts after my original post and posting almost the exact same thing.

Stonewall Pwns
posted 02-23-06 10:55 AM EDT (US)     24 / 29  
To be honest I think your just annoyed that some people found something wrong with your post.

Great post though, I always thought Treasure hunting was pointless.

armyballer - Another 3v3, this time my team is winning, (about an hour into it). One of the other team players admits defeat and resigns, then out of no where I get OOS message. I'm pissed, I again log onto agecommunity and see I have been given a LOSE. How did this happen?

AceOfKings - ender_ward hacked into your game and made it go OOS

Unban JamesLock
posted 02-23-06 01:27 PM EDT (US)     25 / 29  
Great post! Thx for taking the time to write it. I'm going to try a few of these tips rather than just using him to reveal the map.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Explorer Micro, a complete guide.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames