You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: British FF+merc (not all that bad)
posted 02-27-06 01:49 PM EDT (US)   
since you all know the basics of FF, i wont bother list all the details

ship 3 vils, build 2 manor houses if you hstarted with 300 wood, or 1 if only 200. make rest vils, get 17 (maybe 18 is better?).

explorer hunt for wood. if you can get another 150 wood, build another house. the more vils the better.

choose 1 tower + 200 gold. place the tower 1/3 way betwee you and opp.

700 gold in age2, choose 2 pike + 5 longbow (the worst age3 bonus of the game) to age3.

you should aim for 7:15

now it gets interesting....

with brit, you need to look for what your opp is doing, this is quite important, if he is going with infantries, then you should get 15 jaegers, if he is going with cavs (Black Rider or mamalukes) then you should ship 11 highlanders, making the wrong choice could be quite costly.

ship them to that tower.

once you have shipped the mercs, you should focus on booming back in your base, build manor houses and vils, the point of this is to get XP for the next shipment, because you cant win with just jaegers or highlanders. you need falconets.

on the other hand try to kill as many enemy as you can with your mercs, that also gives you XP.

before long your second age3 shipment will arrive, get 2 falconets, and start building falconets if you can too.

you know the rest.

comparison to other FF+merc shipments:

german dont get 2 falcs shipment,
spanish dont get jaegers,
french only get 12 jaegers.

British is not really disadvantaged as far as shipment quality goes.

comparison of advancement

german gets more vils faster but less starting wood, which means sometimes they will have to chop wood for 2nd house or they have to ship 500 wood as age2 bonus.

spanish gets shipment faster but no free vils bonus.

french gets more vils to start with and better vils, but slightly less total productivity. (or so i think)

british gets 1 or 2 extra vils from manor house, makes it on par with german, if you are lucky, you can get the 3rd manor house up as well, which gives you extra 3 vils.

british gets 1 tower + 200 coin age2 bonus, which normally suck, but for FF, it gives you free gold, if you strated with 100 gold, you will not need to mine any to advance to age3.

this will also guarentee you that you will not run out of 1 mine before you get gold for 15 jaeger ready.

the tower offers you both protection, XP, and shorter walking distance for your units shipment.

Replies:
posted 02-27-06 03:22 PM EDT (US)     1 / 14  
Another brit strat in my book. thank you

subliminal messages
Can you find it...?

Chuck Norris.

posted 02-27-06 03:34 PM EDT (US)     2 / 14  
The problem I've found with the brit FF is not really the units they get,as with mercentalism they can get a decent army.

Problem 1)All mercs are infantry.If anyone notices you going for an mercs FF all they need is falconets.

Problem 2)Poor politicians in age 2 AND 3.5longbows and 2 pikes sucks compared to 7 skirms...Also a lack of a 500 wood politician means you can't get a barracks/extra out posts or extra houses in colonial(All of the other GOOD FF civs get this IIRC)

Personally,I would go for a mercantalism FF with a slightly later set of jaegers to help.

My FF deck has:8 settlers(economy back on track),fort(Im really considering removing this..I don't use it often,sometimes if theres 2 or 3 gold mines fairly close like what can happen on yucatan),2 falconets,11musks,8musks,11longbows,8longbows,5hussars,4hussars and 15 jaegers

I find one of the real bonuses ofthe brit FF is their ability to go to industrial nearly instantly afterwards if needed,which is a better way to counter an FF in most cases.I have only tried this a few times so I haven't made a full deck for it yet.I got the idea after watching Pressures replays against german FFers.You don't ship anything in age 3 and go straight to age 4,where you can ship 3 rockets if theyre user jaegers,or go to unit shipments.Again,mercantalism is better here.This goes badly if they get swiss pikemen or landsekrecht so be careful if you try!Also,you can house boom on your way to industrial!or build longbows,why?The 1000 gold politician will pay for your mercantalism.

I apolagise if there is any stupid spelling mistakes...this keyboard really sucks

posted 02-27-06 03:37 PM EDT (US)     3 / 14  
First of all, once again, I think it's too slow. A spanish player could WTF pwn this if aging with as little as 10 vils. Sure it gives a sucky eco, but 2 falconets and 7 Stradiots are not frendly to Jaegs (especially after this patch), and as said in another topic, 2 Falconets do quite nicely against all British Mercs. I suggest speeding it up a little... but that's just my prefrance.

I do kinda like it though. 27 Jaegs ARE a force to be rekoned with.

~Syz
Join the Revolution. www.awrev.com
posted 02-27-06 04:21 PM EDT (US)     4 / 14  
@Miain

this is not ff+mercantalism, i dont think british can do ff+mercantalism rush at all. so if you wanted to do mercantalism, you should not use this setup altogather, and you should aim for industrial.

british normal unit shipments suck, their longbow /hussar /muskets are age2 units, which means for them to be effective in age3, you need to spend 400 reousces on each to upgrade to vet level. otherwise you might as well just stayed in age2.

@Syzygy

I dont think 7:15 is slow at all. sure it is not as fast as spanish, but it is about as fast as normal german/french FF.

plus your tower will save you walking time.

every stratagy has its counter, if they know what you are doing they can always counter it effectively.

over 50% german ffmerc wins with all infantry and without having to use BR, because in these game people dont build enough falconets.

same idea applies here, most people dont really expect brit to ffmerc rush anyways, they generally expect turtle.

posted 02-27-06 04:57 PM EDT (US)     5 / 14  
2 Falcs are useless aginast 27 Jaegers.

27 Jagers can nearly take down one falconet in a single volley. 2 Falconets will probably take out about 4 Jaegers total.

posted 02-27-06 05:26 PM EDT (US)     6 / 14  
In the time you get 27 jaegers,they can easily have 5 falconets without cards,it is only 2000gold 500wood.And they would be using a lot less on houses than you.Add cards and its 7 falconets.7 falconets do kill 27 jeagers
posted 02-27-06 05:51 PM EDT (US)     7 / 14  
like miain said, the problem is with the enemy getting falconets. im sure everyone realizes that hussars blow for such a large investment and can be killed with minimal effort with a couple pikes or dragoons. i doubt any british player is going to have enough gold for culverins if they sent 27 jaegers or 12 jaegers 11 highlanders.
posted 02-27-06 06:44 PM EDT (US)     8 / 14  
i dont actually suggest anyone sending more than 1 set of merc, unless you opp is going hard on infantry / cavalry.

that is why i said you should have 15 jarger + 2 falc or 11 highlander + 2 falc.

in case you opp go hard on falcs, retreat, or build culverins.

posted 02-27-06 09:27 PM EDT (US)     9 / 14  
Nice strat and there is not really a good way to go to 3rd faster anyway unless u take ayway their bonus and don't build houses really which is not smart but it does show that brits can keep up with other ff's but i think the better thing would be to wall in get jaeger and culv and just turtle behind walls and go to 4th that is the bets way for brits i don't think there merc are powerful enough to beat other good ff's.

Every new beginning come’s from another beginnings end
posted 02-27-06 09:49 PM EDT (US)     10 / 14  
I wish it worked, I really do. The problem is they jsut cant do anything about black riders + cannons (+ jag sometimes).

Highlander die so damn fast and jags are so vulurnalbe to cav. Realistically brits best strat is probably mercantilism, ship both lbows shipments, church tech (for 8 highlanders at awsome price) and 2 falconets, here at least you have a slight slight chance, after this you ship your jag shipments. Like I said, the real problem is you just don't have a option vs black riders + cannons.

P.S. One thing I have been thinking about though is if shipping 11 barbory corsair instead ofhighlnaders could kill off the cannons and put alot of pressure on the black riders, just a thought, but quite possibly a good one. But if he goes jags + riders + 2-3 cannons you are really screwed . Another annoying problem is when they come at you with 16 skirms and like 20+ uhlans, the skirms pick on your highs while your almost defenceless, here I would really think a barbory corsair + lbow/jagar would shine, but who knows.

"Dutch are OP!"
"Iriquois are OP!"
"Stophon is OP!"

tEk Clan #1 US Clan
posted 02-27-06 10:02 PM EDT (US)     11 / 14  
Just make sure u get culvs or it will be gg

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • posted 02-28-06 01:29 PM EDT (US)     12 / 14  
    before you judge too much on the effectiveness of this strat, you have to consider brit's potentials.

I am a strong believer that if your brit cant win in age3, there is nothing that really gives them any edge in age4.

brit's weakest is age2, yet the best boom is also in age2, once in age3, every civ can start booming in expense of miletery of course. once in age4, most civs have just as good age4 bonuses as brit if not better, since they all heavy heavy cannons, brit is only really better than spanish (who isnt?) and maybe dutch / russian.

in fact i kind think age3 is brit's strongest point, they get more jaegers (27) and more highlanders (19) than anyone else. they get 8 vils shipment to outboom everyone else, all your eco boost cards are availiale in early ages.

now lets look at the targets of this strat.

comparing to german and french, it is slightly less powerful, for that you dont get any BR with it, if opp go jaeger + BR + falconets, you will need to hold the attack and build culverins, if both side are equal skilled, you will have a hard time winning, but that is the case regardless which strat you use because british is simply weaker.. german and french are both stronger than brit in age4 and 5, so turtling wont really save you far.

compared to spanish, it is hard to say, because spanish will attack first, so your FF+merc becomes a defensive game, but that is not really a bad thing, you can turtle it to age4, where you will get your 2 factorys to eventually beat him, or you can drag the age3 war a little longer, spanish will run out of breath if he doesnt kill you in the first wave, he only has 1 good merc, which is highlanders, all other shipments are either melee infantry which die fast to jaegers, or melee cavalry which die fast to highlanders. eco wise you should take a small lead once in mid age3.

ottoman is hard to say, i mean it sucks to arrive at his base and see 15 abus guns......

the biggest victim would be port, dutch and russians. because they are victims of the normal FF+jaeger+falconets combo in general.

this strat i believe should seperate brit from the rest low 3.

posted 02-28-06 02:00 PM EDT (US)     13 / 14  
    thanks for the strat. but i was wondering how you FF without wasting the manor boom? since in my opinion you have to sacrifice one for the other.

i see in your strat you dont make a big thing of the manor boom. would it be wise getting lots of houses in colonial (sacrificing a little ff time) but having the XP earlier to either having shipments waiting or ir you get supprised rushed beeing able to ship 6lbows and muskets?

thanks!

posted 02-28-06 02:43 PM EDT (US)     14 / 14  
    personally i think the biggest miskate most brit players make, myself included, is putting too much focus on age2 manor house bomming.

it is good if ur opp was doing old style normal fotress in say 9~10 minutes. you will get there slightly later but with much better eco.

however are current state, FF is so powerful, colonial boom means getting killed, FF is also eco powerful, most civs can just FF then mercantlism then 1000 wood + 1000 gold + some defense, they can still do a good boom that is better than your age2 boom.

getting surprise-rushed is the same risk all FF has to take, at current state, a well excuted FF beats rush, you have minute man, 1 tower plus TC tower on your side.

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » British FF+merc (not all that bad)
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames