You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: this just in: germans OP
posted 07-03-06 03:10 PM EDT (US)   
Losing to germans has knocked me down to major status ;p. Anyone know when 1.08 is coming out
Replies:
posted 07-03-06 03:15 PM EDT (US)     1 / 16  
Ask yourself this question - was this really worth a thread?

^^^
posted 07-03-06 03:26 PM EDT (US)     2 / 16  
Germans are so funny ... I think I played with them for a few games and beat PR 37-40 people just by merc spamming. Bumped me all the way up past 2K, but laming is stupid, boring, and no fun so I'm just back to playing my normal civs for a while.

I just wanted to see if they were really THAT OP ... and they are, if not worse than I had imagined.

Oh and ES doesn't plan to nerf the Germans, instead they plan to boost every other civ, which in essense will nerf the Germans, but will take a lot more work on their part.

1.08 is long overdue though ... I hope it comes soon too, for now just avoid german players.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
posted 07-03-06 04:10 PM EDT (US)     3 / 16  

Quote:

Ask yourself this question - was this really worth a thread?

yes.

But was it really worth responding to my thread if it wasn't worth a thread?

posted 07-03-06 04:29 PM EDT (US)     4 / 16  
It gives me a place to vent my rage about Germans. I just played a game as my French against a German. He built no trading posts, no second tc and all I could do was cry as whatever I built or shipped, he got better. When I got 3 vils he got 4 vils when I got 5 vils he got 6 vils and 2 uhlans. When I got 8 skirms, he got that + 3 uhlans. When I shipped 10 jaegers he got 13.

There is nothing I can do against an equal skilled German.. I want my coureur de bois back. Which idiots called for a French nerf anyway? OMG CURS OWN ME IN 45 MIN NO RUSH GAMES!!1 NERF PLZ. ES leaves their OP end game intact but kills their competitivness in real games. GJ ES as always

Germans have been OP throughout... 1000 gold merchantalism and 30 second mercs anyone?

ESO : Pcfreak8
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L. A. van de Snepscheu
A pessimist is usually right and never disappointed.
Any history buff knows that nothing stops a cannon like a good uppercut. - BeatnikJoe
posted 07-03-06 04:48 PM EDT (US)     5 / 16  
i dunno. french would be pretty good as good as ottos i think, if skrims werent nerfed.

i mean, their their RG, they perfectly compliment cuirs, and the fact that their much less pwoerful has seemed to affect them for me anyway.

i think if they add the coureur, we woudlnt have a new german, i think maybe theyd be as bad a s ports.

since ES said that theyd boost civs, not nerf, i think it could be an option.

maybe theyll give them a settler instead, it would work better, i doubt it very much though.

posted 07-03-06 05:03 PM EDT (US)     6 / 16  
i think its a good idea to boost all the other civs rather than nerf the germans... really what would you want taken away? Whats really op about them is their civ bonus is pretty sick but at the same time doesnt have any downsides like all the other civs (except port..although i think their lack of falconets is their punishment). I think that in order to have the german civ bonus downgraded you would have to make their shipments take longer to send or something.

Just a question: If they are boosting all the other civs will they boost them all equally? If they do ports would start looking pretty good... which is funny if you look back at the first few patches....

posted 07-03-06 05:36 PM EDT (US)     7 / 16  
So, boosting 7 civs up to a given level is easier then nerfing 1 civ? Riight..
posted 07-03-06 05:43 PM EDT (US)     8 / 16  
is fairer, theres nuthin worse than having somin taken away from you lol
But gaining is very nice
posted 07-03-06 05:49 PM EDT (US)     9 / 16  
Relatively speaking, yes there would be something taken away from germany. Remember nothing in balance is absolute, and boosting 7 civs would have the same relative effect as nerfing 1 civ, while being 7 times harder and 7 times more time consuming.
posted 07-03-06 06:21 PM EDT (US)     10 / 16  
it doesnt take much to nerf german, and after a moderate nerf german will still be a good civ.

-1 merc in all merc shipments
any one of the thousands of WW nerf ideas
any one of the hundrends of free uhlan nerf ideas

ES'es biggest mistake was thinking spanish was the most balanced civ and tried to balance everyone around them.

posted 07-03-06 06:25 PM EDT (US)     11 / 16  
yeah i dont get the idea behind boosting every civ besides germans. I have a solution, eliminate WW from the game ;P.

I swear the last two games i've had a huge advantage against the german player with my russians, killed some vills, bottled him up, then he ships in 3 WW, builds 2 more and I can't do crap to stop them. Last game I had 50%!! more vills(i had 62 vills to his 40 at the end of the game, ect.) than him from fortress on and still lost to about 10 WW and some skirms w/ falcs.

WW are a total joke. 5 alone basically changes the entire game, you can't raid, you can't build falcs, ect.

(note: I'm joking, but WW need a nerf bad.)

[This message has been edited by Morning_Would (edited 07-03-2006 @ 06:26 PM).]

posted 07-03-06 06:33 PM EDT (US)     12 / 16  
I dunt really play germans much or face them much..... are dey as bad as the mighty cuirs of old
posted 07-03-06 06:41 PM EDT (US)     13 / 16  
I completely agree that Germans are OP, just a side note; don't trust the villager counts with Germans. Settler wagons aren't counted in the count. So 40 vils+8 SW=56 villagers.

My own thoughts for slowing down the Germans; lower WW range to 12 (just like ALL OTHER RANGED CAV) and -1SW at the start. Do that, and Germans have the slowest Discovery Age, starting 1-3 villagers behind the other civs. They can draw even (but not ahead) in Colonial with the 3 SW shipment, but they'd have to suffer through and survive a weak discovery/colonial in order to utilize their awesome shipments. That way, other civs would have a window of opportunity against the German to rush them and take them down before they get going. However, Germans would still have their nice Colonial military shipments as a means to defend. Will never happen, though.

Machiavelli_IUB
posted 07-03-06 07:15 PM EDT (US)     14 / 16  
i also think that germans should get one less ulan in every age. two free ulans in age two is just too unfair
posted 07-03-06 07:56 PM EDT (US)     15 / 16  

Quote:

My own thoughts for slowing down the Germans; lower WW range to 12 (just like ALL OTHER RANGED CAV) and -1SW at the start. Do that, and Germans have the slowest Discovery Age, starting 1-3 villagers behind the other civs.

Do you know what the consequences of a 4 vil start would be?

German death.

Sounds good now, doesn't it? But they'll be worse than Ports from 1.0. And that was bad.

I am Rumour Kontrol.
posted 07-03-06 08:09 PM EDT (US)     16 / 16  
Closed... If you think Germans are OP thats fine but a thread like this does absolutly nothing...

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » this just in: germans OP
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames