You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Dutch Gren Rush 1.08
posted 08-03-06 10:58 AM EDT (US)   
I'm working on a Dutch gren rush that tends to be more of a rush defense.

BO goes something like this:

-5 vills on gold, one builds house, all vills out of TC to hunt.
-1st card: Stadhouer or 3 vills I actually have two decks for this strat: one has both stadhouer and 3 vills. The other has Stadhouer and an extra non-ageI card. I size up the map, and if I think I can get 200 resources out of treasures, I go Stad deck. Otherwise, I go three vills. The 3 vills card seems generally worthless unless sent as first card, but 200w TC is essential should your TC go down. That's why I just don't bother to use a deck with 3 vills if I'm gonna send stad.
Once you have 800 food:
-Age with 400w Politician.
-3 vills to wood from hunt.
-2nd card: 600/700w I just beat a British captain who rushed me with my level 7 HC, so 600w is viable.
-All vills out of TC should still go to hunt.
-Build 2 banks You should also build a house after the first bank is up.
-Build Artillery Foundery Usually the enemy rush shows up in my town about this time. No fear however, 5 grens do a good job of scattering. What to do next depends on composition of enemy army. I put up either a stable or a rax, and mix.
-3rd card: 3 hussars or 8 pikes If you put up the rax, you'll need the hussars to raid, if you put up the stable, you'll need the pikes to keep your Grens safe from enemy hussars.

Against the brit I fought, it was a stable. The hussar boost has proved highly effective vs. longbows, especially with 10 grens backing them up. Agains Ottos, prolly go rax instead for skirms. Move quickly to take down forward military buildings, and at this point you should have it in the bag.

The convoluted wording of legalisms grew up around the necessity to hide from ourselves the violence we intend toward each other. Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. You have done violence to him, consumed his energy. Elaborate euphemisms may conceal your intent to kill, but behind any use of power over another the ultimate assumption remains: "I feed on your energy."
-Frank Herbert, Dune
Replies:
posted 08-03-06 02:50 PM EDT (US)     1 / 16  

Quote:

The 3 vills card seems generally worthless unless sent as first card

It still boggles my mind that people insist on this "fact." Every other civ that gets villager shipments in Discovery (except perhaps British in some situations) reflexively sends 3 vils as the first shipment. It's not even questioned. Why the dutch are so much different if they aren't doing a FCUK start baffles me. In fact, since Dutch vils still cost more VS than normal vils, it's even a bigger shipment to get than normal, since it will cost you more VS to build the extra 3 vils yourself.

Machiavelli_IUB
posted 08-03-06 02:57 PM EDT (US)     2 / 16  
^I agree. Stradhouder is a nice card, but you dont use it fully until you get to fortress. 3 villagers is definately better.

" Studies have shown that people who say "Gameplay>Realism" are less likely to find girlfriends or lead a successful, rational life in the real world.

To see these studies for yourself, please click here."

~ Cy Marlayne

posted 08-03-06 03:14 PM EDT (US)     3 / 16  
I did not say that the 3 vill card was worthless. I said it was worthless unless sent as first card. I make a judgment call at the start of the map, and decide which one is more useful. If Stad looks like it will show a decent return, I don't even bother to put 3 vills in my deck, because I won't use them later. The trouble is, Stad isn't worth it either later. That's why I send it first, because it is essential to take advantage of the cheap TC's. I've been on a 5 game winning streak since making this BO, and I've used Stad every time. In 2 of the games I got a coureur out of it, and that + the cheap TC's more than made up for the lost 3 vills. Especially since the coureur starts out in the middle of the map, and I can throw him right on wood.

If you can get even 150 extra wood, stadhouer is superior. 200 wood means you can get a bank up almost immediately upon hitting fortress. Add to that the ability to immediately take map control on hitting fortress, and the 3 vills simply do not stack up. However, if there are a small number of treasures on the map, 3 vills do work out better.

The convoluted wording of legalisms grew up around the necessity to hide from ourselves the violence we intend toward each other. Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. You have done violence to him, consumed his energy. Elaborate euphemisms may conceal your intent to kill, but behind any use of power over another the ultimate assumption remains: "I feed on your energy."
-Frank Herbert, Dune
posted 08-03-06 06:29 PM EDT (US)     4 / 16  
Stadhouder is always superior, except sometimes on Sonora and Hispaniola.

On Hispaniola, you should probably send schooners, and on Sonora, ATP.

BTW, gren rush is even worse now because of the train time, and barracks/stables are cheaper than artillery foundries (so enemies can get stables up and pump boosted hussars into your face)

I am Rumour Kontrol.
posted 08-03-06 09:14 PM EDT (US)     5 / 16  
in my rush i've been doing i've been sending 300 wood as my first card to throw a bank up. and still age up with 400 wood. for rax, house maybe market, etc.

Check out my YouTube Page!
ESO - LO12DS_Fry
posted 08-03-06 09:22 PM EDT (US)     6 / 16  
Unless you're on Yukon, Bayou or Hispanola ...

ATP (followed by Stagecoach research upon hitting Colonial) > 3 villagers or Stadhauder.

"One wants to be loved, failing that admired, failing that feared, failing that hated and despised. One wants to instill in other people some form of emotion. The soul shudders before emptiness and wants contact, no matter the cost."
posted 08-03-06 11:27 PM EDT (US)     7 / 16  
^ could you please elaborate on that strategy, i have never seen it in use and am curious as to it's effectiveness.
posted 08-03-06 11:40 PM EDT (US)     8 / 16  
The Only Thing You got goin in this strat is THE SUPRISE ELEMENT which can get u the win.. You still neeed luck lol. I prefer Shipping and making pikes and skirms and attack ^_^

My Russia Guide
How to turtle withRussia AND WIN
http://www.skwizz.com/eso/Frstyle77/83.png
^_COPY THIS SMILEY FACE AND HELP SPREAD ITS POPULARITY
THE SMILEY FACE WILL RULE ALL. This is the offspring of THE BUNNY(^_^ GRINS AT __Sephiroth__)
posted 08-04-06 07:48 AM EDT (US)     9 / 16  
Why is stadhouder always superior then 3 vills??
On texas/greatplains id much rather send ATP or 3 vills then stadhouder..
Same goes for Hispaniola and Sonora (wich uve already mentioned).
Yucatan, id choose between 3 vills/stadhouder/schooners.
So that leaves us to Carolina, Bayou (bayou isnt always beneficial tho) and Yukon...

Quote:

in my rush i've been doing i've been sending 300 wood as my first card to throw a bank up. and still age up with 400 wood. for rax, house maybe market, etc.

3 Vills gather 300 wood in about 2 minutes (so a little longer then ur transition to colonial age. And after theyll stay usefull the whole game. Thus i dont see the benefit in sending 300 wood, while u culd also put them 3 vills on wood.

posted 08-04-06 09:33 AM EDT (US)     10 / 16  

Quote:

On texas/greatplains id much rather send ATP or 3 vills then stadhouder..

On Texas, 3 vils, if you really want, you can send ATP, but you need to make sure you steal one of the trade posts on your opponent's trade route.

On Great Plains, it depends. Sometimes, there are 3 TPs, so you can only grab two, and thats if you steal the middle one. You have native TPs too, but the comanche ones are useless, and you don't need so many lakota.

Great Plains has really nice treasures, so sending stadhouder is probably best if you're not planning on using natives extensively-you can get one lakota TP and both available TPs relatively cheaply, anyway.

Plus, GP is a map where you want lots of map control to cut off enemy hunting sites, coin, etc. So, stadhouder gives you cheap TCs, this is a big advantage.

I am Rumour Kontrol.
posted 08-04-06 03:33 PM EDT (US)     11 / 16  
What times are you getting places...

No offense but this seems like a 6 and half min rush.

Can you just describe a little more in detail what you do and what times?

posted 08-06-06 08:13 PM EDT (US)     12 / 16  
1.08 gren rush just does not work whatsoever. With the longer train time it makes it almost impossible to be effective. I used to use this all the time, especially in team games, but the time along with the cheaper rax and stable makes it too weak and slow.

Except for the obvious maps, stadhouer > 3 vills imo. I love the exiled prince ff followed by 1000 wood for two banks and a second tc by 730ish. As far as rush defense goes, I'd think skirms would still be your best bet with some hussars mixed in.

posted 08-06-06 08:37 PM EDT (US)     13 / 16  

Quote:

3 Vills gather 300 wood in about 2 minutes

(300/3)/0.5=200 seconds or 3:20

posted 08-07-06 08:24 PM EDT (US)     14 / 16  
why the hell is the stadouder card so good!?!?
posted 08-08-06 10:51 AM EDT (US)     15 / 16  
Because it gives an immediate return. That return often gives you the extra wood to put up your second bank and house before the 700w comes in.

As for the rush, yeah, it's not particularly viable. This really amounts to more of a straight turtle. It defends against a rush nicely, giving you 2-3 banks up while the enemy rush is hitting you. What's nice about grens as opposed to skirms is that grens come out ready to fight. If you build a rax, 30 seconds later you have five skirms, and have to run them away from the enemy army until 30-60 seconds later (Ususally you need at least 13 skirms to put up a decent rush defense.) Conversely, as soon as your 5 Grens are out, they are liable to take out half of the invading army (absent cossacks or the like, which can be handled via 8 pikes.) So Grens give you a reasonable defense force in 40 seconds, vs 60 with a barracks. Those five grens also provide just enough support to make colonial militia effective if you get hit by a heavy rush.

-Frank Herbert, Dune
posted 08-08-06 05:00 PM EDT (US)     16 / 16  
Against Russia I'd definitely agree that grenadiers are a great defense as long as you keep those pikes alive and away from strelet fire long enough to kill the cossacks.

However, an otto rush is completely different. No way would I want grens for fighting jannies. Skirms with a few hussars for the abus is the only effective colonial solution to their rush.

I'm not sure it would be too effective against rods from Spain either.

[This message has been edited by Since_1817 (edited 08-08-2006 @ 05:00 PM).]

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Dutch Gren Rush 1.08
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames