You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The German Revolution
posted 02-02-07 08:56 PM EDT (US)   
In theory, the Germans have the best revolution in the game. After studying the German civilization I have come up with ideas of how to successfully defeat an enemy by revolting.

-Technological Revolution
This is a modified version of a Fast-Industrial. By "FI-ing," then revolting, you unlock two options:

-Increased unit hitpoints
-Six"Imperial Howitzers"

It's logical that increased unit hitpoints would only prolong the life of colonial milita another second in a fight. Instead, the best option for Germans is to go for Imperial Howitzers. What are Imperial Howitzers? They are a German-specific revolution option which consists of six fully upgraded mortars(850 attack, 40 range). For the "Technolicical Revolution" choose the Imperial Howitzers.

Ideally, the progression to the point of revolting should take under 15 minutes. Since having to survive 15 minutes in order to simply get some howitzers may seem suicidal, this can be used in association with another strategy. The concept of revolting like this is to get a "meatshield" and heavy cannons at the expense of your economy.
Here's the math:

-The average building hitpoints for a European civilization is 3309

-Imperial Howitzer mortars deal 850 damage to buildings.

-(avg. building HP)3309 /(Howitzer attack)850 = 3.89

In summary, a single Imperial Howitzer can take down the average building in ~4 shots.
More math:

-The average building kill experience is 150

-20 shots from Howitzers should be ~ 750xp.

From this, we can logically conclude that the destruction of buildings is a very possible way of supplementing troops via shipments. If you also take into account the Germantown Farmers card ("allows you to train Settler Wagons from your mills", max pop 40), you have a viable resource base.

That's the end of the theory. More on the Germantown farmers variation below.

More German strategy theories later on.

-For the Germantown Farmers:

The gather rate for a settler wagon on a mill is 1.34p/s(per-second).

1.34 x 40(max. number of settler wagons)=53.6 food p/s.

53.6 x 60= 3216 food p/m.

Potentially 32 colonial milita per minute.

Thoughts, ideas?

Note: this is ignoring the German bugs, and builds off a few previously-existing ideas.

[This message has been edited by General_II (edited 02-02-2007 @ 11:05 PM).]

Replies:
posted 02-02-07 09:27 PM EDT (US)     1 / 8  

Quote:

53.6 x 60= 3216 food p/s.

You mean p/m?

Lord Tahattus - Register yourselves at the WotTA forum!
WOTTA WEBSITE!
War of the Triple Alliance Beta!
Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!
posted 02-02-07 09:43 PM EDT (US)     2 / 8  
sounds good, except:

1, u have to kill off enemies first before you can take down buildings, which is why unit bonus other civs get from revolution are generally better, like port getting legendary blackwood.

2, SW german farm town is good, but the thing is you need to have the res to make them first, all your existing SW had turned into militias(at 1 to 1, which is a crap deal)

3, SW on unupgraded mill gets realistically 1 food per second, due to having to walk.

so, to pull of a good revolution you need:

1, 2~4 mills for fast SW generation after revolution
2, not too many SW before revolution(this means you have sent the german farm town shipment back in fortress but not used it).
3, about extra 1k food and 1k wood for first 10 SW after revolution, on top of 3 k res for the revolution itself.
4, an army big enough to kill off enemy's army (so you can use imp mortars)

posted 02-02-07 11:20 PM EDT (US)     3 / 8  
Thanks for the feedback. In response...

-Lord Tahattus: changed

-ultimitsu: in regard to having to kill enemies, the idea is not to neccesarily kill enemies, but to get buildings. 30+ milita should provide a sufficient meatshield, while the 40 range of the Howitzers should allow for some XP to be generated (150 XP per 4 shots is a good deal).

Quoted from user:

-The average building kill experience is 150

-20 shots from Howitzers should be ~ 750xp.

In essence, the idea is to destroy in order to get reinforcements, level the playing field, and buy time while you build settler wagons.

Once you have settler wagons up, you should easily produce the amount of food per minute indicated if you get an upgrade since the math was done without any upgrades calculated. Moreso if you send the "Guild Artisans" card (+35% gather rate for settler wagons, all resources).

In conclusion, this strategy is not something that you need to fully commit to. In other words, simply throw in the Germantown Farmers (and perhaps Guild Artisans)card(s) in case you need to execute a move like this to level the playing field.

An idea: if you would like to suprise the opponent, try making your deck look like a rushing deck,etc...

[This message has been edited by General_II (edited 02-03-2007 @ 00:48 AM).]

posted 02-03-07 05:00 AM EDT (US)     4 / 8  
This might be a valid strat, if not for the worthlessness of the German civ in general.
posted 02-04-07 04:40 PM EDT (US)     5 / 8  
-Mediolanus:

Quoted from General_II:

Note: this is ignoring the German bugs

Is this topic really so boring? To me it seems that the Germans may have a valid platform for revolting, or atleast a position much better than any over civilization has.

posted 02-04-07 05:18 PM EDT (US)     6 / 8  
it is not boring, but just plain not viable.

when you revolt, you have to win the game ASAP, you wouldnt keep 2k res just for SW production, you'd better use that 2k on a merc army or something.

why dont you try it out, and see how well it works then let us know?

posted 02-05-07 02:52 AM EDT (US)     7 / 8  
I described something similar a while ago. From my experience with the Argentine Rush I think I can safely say that unless you manage to basically annihilate the enemy with the very first stroke, you're a goner. While you (slowly, and not exactly cheap either!) try to re-build your economy by training settler wagons, and to reinforce your troops with (14% slower!) shipments, your opponent will come after you with an army backed by a third or fourth age economy under full steam. I know from experience where I'd put my money in this situation.

My main point of criticism for all revolutionary (pun intended) strategies I've seen so far: Where is the advantage compared to simply not revolting? Ok, so once you've managed to get 40 settler wagons (I thought 20 was the max?) you could train 32 colonial militia per minute. Try to calculate how many good units you could train in the same amount of time with a full-blown Age 4 economy. Do you still feel revolution gives you the edge?

posted 02-05-07 08:08 AM EDT (US)     8 / 8  
ultimitsu is right, at that point your much better off spending those resources on applying more pressure, as by the time the SW economy kicks in, you have either won or lost the game.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » The German Revolution
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames