You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Hebrew civ for AoM Xpansion
posted 09-07-05 03:12 PM EDT (US)   
Please comment, dissect and/or criticize this idea as it still needs to be perfected. If you wish to praise, please go ahead and do so...

HEBREW CIVILIZATION FOR AOM X

Hebrew Culture
The Hebrew people once inhabited the area that is modern-day Israel, after being led there by legendary liberator Moses under the request of Yehovah God. Currently one of the more widespread religions in the world, Hebraic or Jewish religion spent several centuries expanding worldwide, even though it was often met with prejudice and even persecution from its offshoot religion, Christianism, which ironically managed to root itself in global cultures faster and more effectively than the Jewish faith. Hebrews worshipped only their Yehovah God, but respected a variety of other figures, including Angels and men such as Abram or Yehosuah that were credited with laying the foundations of Hebrew cultural identity. Jewish faith is very similar to the Christian one, except for the fact that Jews do not consider the Books of the New Testament as canon. Examples of Hebrew religious ceremonies are the Bar Mitzvah, to celebrate a man's communion with Yehovah God, and Hanukkah, occuring around the date of Christian Christmas and which comes as celebration of a miracle occured in a temple around two thousand years ago. The Hebrew language is the Yiddish, a dialect startingly representative of Jewish culture even in a phonetic context. In modern days, Jews were often seen with distrust whenever they went and this eventually motivated a racist persecution by anti-semitic ideologists such as the Nazis. In North America, however, Jewish faith is well disseminated and Hebrew immigrants have made a noticeable imprint in the culture of many modern countries.

Hebrews in AoM X
The Hebrews begin the game with a Temple and three Patriarchs, their civilization's Heroes. Villagers can be created and garrisoned in Temples. The Patriarch is a melee combat unit with good speed and pierce armor. There can only be three Patriarchs per Temple. Hebrews gain favor by building additional Temples and garrisoning villagers to pray in them. Favor gain rate grows exponentially with each new Temple that is built, so the more Temples there are simultaneously, the faster favor trickles in. Their unique building is the Law Temple, where myth units and priests are created. Priests can heal allied units and should mostly be used as support units for other troops. Hebrews have good naval units and siege weapons, and their army is famed for its Slingers, ranged units that excel versus infantry and archers. They have, however, poor defensive buildings such as walls and towers, and poor cavalry. Hebrews can train a unique unit, the Prophet, that cannot attack but has extraordinary line of sight. Because of their religious differences from other mythologies, Hebrews only have one true God but worship several Angels and Patriarchs.

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------

MAJOR GODS

Abram. Father and leader of the Hebrew people, showed such unquestionable faith in Yehovah that he was even prepared to sacrifice his own son for the Lord. Foremost patriarch figure of the Hebrews.
Focus: Villagers and Buildings.
God Power: Mana, target an area of the map to create a rain of Mana and a cluster of puddles that can be harvested for food by villagers, wielding double the food production of a normal farm.
Bonus:
- Buildings have increased hit points and cost less to build.
- Villagers have increased hack armor.
- Villagers work and harvest food 25% faster.
- Villagers are created faster.
Myth Tech: Ten Commandments. Patriarchs move and attack faster, making them more valuable in battle other than healing. Villagers also gain an increase in hack armor to make them more durable.

Yehosuah. Sucessor of Moses in the leadership of Israel, he conquered the lands near the Jordan River and decreed the circumcision of men born in the desert so that all could participate in the Passover.
Focus: Economy.
God Power: Midas Touch, target an empty area of the map to create a cluster of gold mines. If cast on a gold mine already in existance, it will triple the mine's gold output.
Bonus:
- Siege weapons have increased splash damage and hit points.
- Siege weapons cost less to create.
- Caravans have increased speed and pierce armor.
- Commercial trades have triple the income.
Myth Tech: Ruins of Jericho. Buildings are built faster and have increased hit points, making them more durable. Siege weapons also gain an increase in attack speed.

Yehovah. Supreme God of the Hebrews, lord and creator of all things. He looks over humanity from his heavenly throne in preparation for Armaggedon, the day when humanity will be judged for its sins.
Focus: Military Units and Favor.
God Power: Conversion, target a single enemy unit to turn it into an ally and render it controllable.
Bonus:
- Towers and archers have increased line of sight.
- Military units cost less to create and are created faster.
- Military buildings have increased hit points.
- Infantry have increased speed.
- Archers have increased hit points
Myth Tech: Holy Scriptures. Favor is gained 25% at Temples. Military buildings cost less to build and have increased hit points. Chariots have increased speed. Slingers have increased attack range.

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------

MINOR GODS

Classical Age

Lilith. Demon of darkness and the night. Her improvements aid your myth units.
- Lilith increases the hack armor of archers.
God Power: Gehenna, target an area of the map to create a rift to the underworld realm of Gehenna that sucks in any nearby enemy units for a limited period of time.
Myth Unit: Dybbuk, a demon that can sap an enemy unit of hit points to heal itself.
Myth Unit: Shedu, demon with good hack armor that excels versus infantry.
Myth Techs:
- Appetites of Man, decreases the creation time of Shedim.
- Temptation, increases the pierce armor and attack range of myth units.
- Valley of Jehoshapat, decreases the cost of myth units by 25%.

Moses. Legendary liberator and lawgiver. His improvements aid your military.
- Moses increases the attack of infantry and archers.
God Power: Parting Seas, target any large body of water to create a passageway across. Target again to close the passage and drown any enemy units in the passageway.
Myth Unit: Rahab, amphibious unit that can capsize boats while in the water and doubles as a siege unit when on land. Strong versus buildings. Weak versus infantry and cavalry.
Myth Techs:
- Ark of the Covenant, decreases the upgrade cost of siege weapons.
- Communion, increases the hit points of infantry.
- Seventh Plague, decreases the creation cost of towers by 25%.
- Unleavened Bread, decreases the creation time of infantry.

Noah. Builder of the Ark. His improvements aid your villagers and naval units.
- Noah decreases the creation cost of all naval units.
God Power: Flood, target anywhere on the map to raise the water level until it submerges the designated area completely. Any land units caught in it will be killed. The effect lasts for a short period of time.
Myth Unit: Tannin, colossal monster with good pierce and crush armor, excels versus archers and can act as a living siege weapon. Weak versus infantry and cavalry.
Myth Techs:
- Queen of Sabbath, increases the speed and hit points of naval units.
- Sandals, increases the rate at which villagers can work by 25%.
- Tetragrammaton, decreases the creation time of villagers.

Heroic Age

Ezekiel. Prophet and messenger of the Lord. His improvements aid your buildings.
- Ezekiel decreases the creation cost of buildings.
God Power: Far Sight, target a distant area of the map to reveal it immediately.
Myth Unit: Gog, stone giant that tosses enemy units into the air. Strong versus infantry.
Myth Techs:
- Miracle of Hanukkah, increases the hit points of buildings.
- Olive Oil, increases the attack range and line of sight of all defensive buildings.

Isaiah. Prophet of the Lord. His improvements aid your siege weapons.
- Isaiah increases the hit points of Siege Shops.
God Power: Divine Wrath, target an enemy unit or building to bombard it with a short shower of flaming meteors. Does splash damage to nearby buildings.
Myth Unit: Golem, melee combat unit made of claw that is invulnerable to hack and pierce attacks, making it excel versus infantry and archers, and can heal itself slowly when not fighting.
Myth Techs:
- Corner Stone, decreases the creation time of siege weapons.
- Solomon's Temple, increases the hit points and speed of Golems.
- Walls of Babylon, increases the attack range of siege weapons.

David. Legendary King of Israel. His improvements aid your villagers.
- David increases the hit points of villagers.
God Power: Purification, target a group of allied villagers to self-destruct them in return for favor.
Myth Unit: Goliath, club-wielding giant that excels versus infantry but is weak versus slingers.
Myth Techs:
- Kingdom of Israel, increases the hit points of Law Temples.
- Leather Slings, increases the attack range of slingers.
- Menorah, decreases the creation cost and time of villagers by 25%.
- Sefer Yetzirah, increases the speed at which villagers can work.

Mythic Age

Gabriel. Messenger Angel of God. His improvements aid your Patriarchs.
- Gabriel increases the hit points of temples.
God Power: Smite, target a group of enemy units to turn them into pillars of salt that can then be crushed by any allied unit to effectively kill the target. Very powerful when well used.
Myth Unit: Magog, stone giant with a ranged boulder throw attack. Strong versus siege weapons.
Myth Unit: Ziz, giant eagle with a special attack where it picks up enemies with its claws and drops them from a great height to kill them. Weak versus archers.
Myth Techs:
- Apocrypha, decreases the creation time of Patriarchs by half.
- Book of Psalms, increases the attack range and speed of Patriarchs.
- Proverbs, decreases the cost of technological advances.

Michael. Captain of the Archangels. His improvements aid your myth units.
- Michael increases the hit points of myth units.
God Power: Armaggedon, cast anywhere on the map to sound a battle horn and summon four Nephilim knights that are invulnerable to all attacks except god powers. This lasts for a limited period of time.
Myth Unit: Elohim, winged melee combat units that can take flight and initiate a battle by swooping down from the skies towards enemy units. Very powerful versus all military units.
Myth Techs:
- Flaming Sword, turns Elohim into Archangels, with increased speed and attack.
- Path of the Righteous, decreases the creation cost of myth units.

Samael. Fallen Archangel of vanity. His improvements aid your military.
- Samael gives infantry increased pierce armor.
God Power: Angel of Death, target anywhere on the map to raise a powerful air unit with a ranged attack that can only be attacked by archers, towers and other ranged units.
Myth Unit: Seraph, terrible beast-face archers that decimate enemy infantry and cavalry at range.
Myth Techs:
- Dead Sea Scrolls, decreases the cost of upgrading infantry and cavalry.
- Halo, increases the speed and attack range of Seraphs.
- Judgement, increases the line of sight of archers and siege weapons.

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------

Replies:
posted 09-07-05 11:44 PM EDT (US)     1 / 22  
you have got to be kidding me.

Besides, there are EXACTCLY three myth units EVER mentioned in Hebrew 'mythology'

posted 09-10-05 08:05 PM EDT (US)     2 / 22  
Hebrew mythology extends way beyond the Torah and the Talmud. There is an entire Judaic polytheistic religion that came before the advent of a monotheist Judaic religion.
posted 09-10-05 11:11 PM EDT (US)     3 / 22  
I think Elisha should be up there...he could summon bears out of the woods to attack people!

"Fool, I have auto-dialing!" -Techno Bill
posted 09-11-05 00:07 AM EDT (US)     4 / 22  
i wish AOM had more civs, like hebrew just three kind of dosnt cut it.... the whole game seemed like a demo after the amount of civs in AOK
posted 09-11-05 12:55 PM EDT (US)     5 / 22  
Well, I am working on a few other civs... They're for my concept of AoM 2, which would feature remakes of the Greeks, Egyptians, Norse and Atlanteans, and in the departament of all things new, the Romans, Hebrew, Japanese, Chinese, Indian, (Native) American, Aztec, Sumerian and possibly Aborigine / Slavic.

So that's 13-14 civs right there. Should be enough...

posted 09-15-05 06:53 PM EDT (US)     6 / 22  
ok.... Now i can't believe anyone would make a Hebrew Civilization. I mean no offense to anyone, but this is age of MYTHOLOGY. Not religions so, nothing Taoist, Hebrew, or Indian. (Although if the religions settled their arguments in video games the world would be pretty wierd)
posted 09-16-05 06:44 AM EDT (US)     7 / 22  
You tend to make up lots a myth units, don't ye?

Alright, to sum-it-up, there are three actual MYTH creatures:

Golem - giant of mud and stone

Leviathan - basically, a violent whale

Behemoth - in Hebrew it means 'domestic beast', but it's supposingdly a mammal monster

posted 09-16-05 01:08 PM EDT (US)     8 / 22  
Have you had a look around Wikipedia, Empror? Because they list a whole number of other myth creatures from Hebrew / Levantic myth... And Leviathan and Behemoth have already been used by the Egyptian and Atlantean civ respectively, so, no... In case you're wondering, this civ was the most fun to make (my liking of Japanese culture aside) because I got to play around with certain aspects of the Bible, Hebrew faith and Levantic culture.
posted 09-16-05 06:44 PM EDT (US)     9 / 22  
My point on this whole thing is that religion is a touchy enough subject as it is without going into video games. Escpecially a major religion like Judism(spelling?)

Cosmopolitan? Check.
posted 09-16-05 06:51 PM EDT (US)     10 / 22  
posted 09-17-05 08:43 AM EDT (US)     11 / 22  
I don't care what wikipedia has to say. I've even talked about it (slightly) with a rabi.

BTW
'Playing with certain aspects of the Bible, jeudism, etc.'?!

You'll be seud to the bone by the best lawyers in the world, who will also happen to be the prosecutors themselves.

posted 09-17-05 02:54 PM EDT (US)     12 / 22  
God, I *knew* I shouldn't have used that expression... What I meant is, I had the chance to *integrate* several aspects of Biblical, Hebrew and Levantic myth into this. And Hebrew faith is by no means restricted to Judaism.

BTW, Empror... Wikipedia is a wealth of knowledge. IMHO, you should have a look around. You'll see how much new stuff you'll learn. Just don't be like me and spend four hours gazing at pages about berries...

posted 09-17-05 02:56 PM EDT (US)     13 / 22  
Uh... I really hope no one here will be offended by my used of "God" in the last post and hold it against me...

I'm as respecting of religion as the next guy, but I also see it for what it is: glorified mythology.

It's not real, people...

And yes, at some point in my youth I wanted to live forever too, or maybe die, go to heaven and have a bunch of teen virgins waiting for me at the gate.

Ain't gonna happen.

posted 09-17-05 07:00 PM EDT (US)     14 / 22  
Wow...
Everybody seriously needs to calm down. I think everyone understands that religion is a touchy subject. If you don't like this thread for what it is, just don't read it! chosenone is allowed to have his own opinion; so is everybody else!
posted 09-22-05 10:51 PM EDT (US)     15 / 22  
I think the Hebrews are seriously underrepresented in games based on the ancient world. They were very powerful in their region and had much interaction with the nations around them. I don't see why religion would be so touchy. It's not as if it's trying to convert anyone. There are movies made about relgion all the time and they go beyond "The Passion".
I used to have a video game on original NES that featured moses on a quest for God. As long as you don't intentionally offend anyone the kinks could be worked out before the release a big legal scandal ensues.

It's a great idea

posted 09-22-05 10:52 PM EDT (US)     16 / 22  
Sorry, correction: Before a big legal scandal follows the release...does that make sense? :s
posted 09-23-05 02:30 AM EDT (US)     17 / 22  
skystrider, whats with the demon worship?

Quote:

Lilith. Demon of darkness and the night. Her improvements aid your myth units.
- Lilith increases the hack armor of archers.
God Power: Gehenna, target an area of the map to create a rift to the underworld realm of Gehenna that sucks in any nearby enemy units for a limited period of time.
Myth Unit: Dybbuk, a demon that can sap an enemy unit of hit points to heal itself.
Myth Unit: Shedu, demon with good hack armor that excels versus infantry.
Myth Techs:
- Appetites of Man, decreases the creation time of Shedim.
- Temptation, increases the pierce armor and attack range of myth units.
- Valley of Jehoshapat, decreases the cost of myth units by 25%.
Samael. Fallen Archangel of vanity. His improvements aid your military.
- Samael gives infantry increased pierce armor.
God Power: Angel of Death, target anywhere on the map to raise a powerful air unit with a ranged attack that can only be attacked by archers, towers and other ranged units.
Myth Unit: Seraph, terrible beast-face archers that decimate enemy infantry and cavalry at range.
Myth Techs:
- Dead Sea Scrolls, decreases the cost of upgrading infantry and cavalry.
- Halo, increases the speed and attack range of Seraphs.
- Judgement, increases the line of sight of archers and siege weapons.

BTW, I think that you have your GPs mixed up a bit.

1) Since when did Joshua have the "Midas Touch"? I'd say either give him the manna or give him some kind of ability to crush fortresses or TCS (Walls of Jericho, look it up)

2) Abram should NOT get Mana (that was Moses or Joshua's speciality). He should get a "Covenant" God power that would increase the priest/high priests' HP (I suggest them as units).

3) This isn't gonna fly even with all this planning. SO STFU, will ya?

posted 09-23-05 04:30 AM EDT (US)     18 / 22  
Abram should get an economical bonus, since he was a wealthy man, and a diplomatical bonus since he made a 'pact with god'.
posted 09-23-05 12:41 PM EDT (US)     19 / 22  
I see one problem with this. The hebrew faith is monotheistic, or atleast evolved into one by the time of Moses. Read the 10 commandments:
"You shall have no other gods besides Me...Do not make a sculpted image or any likeness of what is in the heavens above..."

The 'people' you have listed as 'major gods' are not gods, minor, major or otherwise, they are prohpets, devoted followers of the hebrews 1 true god. You have listed Yehovah, as the one true god, so you acknowledge that you are aware of my above comments. So then how can you equate those other persons to Yehovah? At best they could be minor gods, but even that is not possible as they are not gods at all.

The hebrew do not fit that well with an AoM type game.

Brethren bound by justice. Souls who fear not death.
Soldiers of good. Champions of Light.
Together we stand forever. The Legion Of Light.
~The Legion Of Light~
posted 09-23-05 06:00 PM EDT (US)     20 / 22  

Quote:

skystrider, whats with the demon worship?

Huh?

posted 09-24-05 05:24 AM EDT (US)     21 / 22  
Oops, sorry, meant chosenone. Didn't quite read topic thread.
posted 09-26-05 04:23 AM EDT (US)     22 / 22  
"The Hebrew language is the Yiddish,"

Not entirely correct. Yiddish is one of three jewish languages. The others are Hebrew and Ladino.

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum » Hebrew civ for AoM Xpansion
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames