You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Anyone looked into UI modding?
posted 09-12-05 06:07 PM EDT (US)   
For me, having to press Alt to see stats is just *blah*. Because of that, I have no idea what the stats of any unit are. If I ever get the time I'd like to try putting the stats next to the icons like they were in previous games.

Anyway, has anyone looked into how the UI is coded etc? I mean is it like AOM? Cause if it's like AOM's then i'm sure I can find some posts at aomh to find out how to mod it.

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
Replies:
posted 09-12-05 11:44 PM EDT (US)     1 / 13  
i've been wondering about that. I remember ES saying that you can customize the UI to the degree the player wants.

The more recent posts, I've noticed that this feature is not emphasized (like tactical formations. ).

I do not like the large interface and hope that it can be minimized or reduced (like in AoM, you could simply make it clear except for the buttons.

ESO: oats
ESO2: dirtyoatmeal
posted 09-12-05 11:56 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13  
I have one thing to add to the list of demo dissapointmants:
1) No minimized UI (transparencies in AoM)

Quoted from barley_n_oats:

minimized or reduced (like in AoM

2) Unit Stats not visible

Quoted from RiderOfEternity:

having to press Alt to see stats

3) No information about history of unit, like the massive unit counters/history section in AoM. Even the fact that the trees have been generalized into one category with one UI icon offends me! I hope that it's just a placeholder until they can put in all this data.

"Its never the things that happen to us that upset us, its our view of them." -Epictetus
Dual GeForce 256MB 6800 GT over SLI PCI Express x8...aaaaw yeah.
My ESO2 Stats | Screenshot Archive
posted 09-13-05 00:17 AM EDT (US)     3 / 13  
I don't know if it is because I am playing on a 19" monitor at 1280x1024 but the icons are too damn big! Those icons can be scaled to half that size if you ask me. That UI needs to be shrunk.

Also are we gonna get differently designed UI for different civs? That was a huge point of AoM where it really felt like a different race due to the different UI design.

I know for sure I am going to looking in to customizing the UI because I think the default one sucks the long pole.

posted 09-13-05 00:20 AM EDT (US)     4 / 13  
ES has said they're already changing the UI for the full game.

    
posted 09-13-05 00:30 AM EDT (US)     5 / 13  
did they??
can you link the post?
The interface is a deal breaker for me
posted 09-13-05 00:33 AM EDT (US)     6 / 13  
I'd like to see resources, pop, menus and stuff return to the top of the screen Where it Belongs. That oughta leave enough space for minimap, unit stats, and special unit functions, i.e. build lists, formations etc.

I am LuNatic, Dark lord of the sif
~Fear Me Mortals~
[-GREEM-] Best. Clan. Ever.
posted 09-13-05 00:52 AM EDT (US)     7 / 13  
We just put the finishing touches on something you guys will like regarding the UI. Perhaps a screenshot will leak in a day or two...

I thought the unit history made it into the demo. If it didn't, it's definitely in the final game. Lots and lots and lots of good text

The "problem" with the stats is that the game essentially has too much data... A given unit can have 5 or 6 different attacks, etc. There was no good way to roll that up into a single attack number (we tried many ways), thus we stuck it on a panel where we could show the proper info.

dave

posted 09-13-05 00:54 AM EDT (US)     8 / 13  
the history part is there, i forget exactly how to get to it, but its definitely there
posted 09-13-05 00:56 AM EDT (US)     9 / 13  
When looking at unit stats, there is an arrow at the top right of the UI which shows a breif summar anf history of the unit.

Some don't have them, I beleive.
I would hope for AoM style, but this is good too.

posted 09-13-05 12:03 PM EDT (US)     10 / 13  

Quote:

We just put the finishing touches on something you guys will like regarding the UI. Perhaps a screenshot will leak in a day or two...

Hah, leak..

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
posted 09-13-05 12:21 PM EDT (US)     11 / 13  

Quote:

An drag and drop interface for the user to adjust the UI to their whim? Now that would be awesome. But several UI variants would also be great.

Guide to Debugging RMS
Download my RMS here
Help improve RMS reviewing here
A monk I need a monk.
I thought therefore I was.
posted 09-13-05 09:48 PM EDT (US)     12 / 13  
Yeah, the interface portion definitely needs scaling down, at least enough that the unit stats portion can be seen all the time.

The other thing I noticed was no idle military banner, which I was trying to edit, but it always comes up blank. I am sure ES will have that in final version as well.

Does not look like this version of age needs any tooltips modification which is nice.

posted 09-14-05 12:04 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13  

Quote:

From what I've seen the new one isn't any better. The unit picture and unit name are still the same size, and even look bigger compared to the smaller buttons. I'm really going to look into modding. The new ui shows more of the screen, but imo looks worse, so isn't an improvement. In fact improve the stupid huge name and picture and you can fit all the unit stats into that place.

[This message has been edited by harr (edited 09-14-2005 @ 12:06 PM).]

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Anyone looked into UI modding?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames