Please login or register

Modding and Scripting
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A call to the scripting community - Script Reviews
posted 08 March 2004 08:11 PM EDT (US)   
I have been bothered by our download section and reviews for quite some time. Today I was browsing through the random maps download section and came accross a map that was rated a 5 and had the most pathetic review. This was no suprise most of the reviews in our download section look like that. Below are some examples of what I mean.

Quote:

Posted on 03/08/04 @ 10:40 AM
Rating 5.0
Rating: 5
Nice Map.

Additional Comments:
The little island in the center was screwed...it was half connected to the land and half to the water...Looked really weird. Otherwise...GREAT MAP!!!!!!!

Quote:

Posted on 02/07/04 @ 02:07 PM
Rating 5.0
I play it too

Additional Comments:
i'm playing it a few months and i really like nw i'm also in the ladder!

NW RULEZZZZZZZZZZZZzz

Quote:

Posted on 02/15/04 @ 11:38 AM
Rating 5.0
(Insert Rating analysis here)

Additional Comments:
Really Awesome map! Lot's o' resources.

Quote:

Posted on 12/29/03 @ 12:54 PM
Rating 4.0
works fine, nice to play, but lack of difference to migration maps only 4. light is good though

Additional Comments:
none

Quote:

Posted on 02/29/04 @ 11:12 AM
Rating 2.0
I see the forests in norway EVERYDAY... and i have never seen skraelings...

I personally have nothing against the people that recieved these reviews (heck one of them was a review I got). The problem is these reviews are generally worthless. They help the scriptor in no way at all. And a lot of times might mislead people into downloading or not downloading a map.

As it is right now our rms ratings are useless. Making changes to the rating have been talked about in the past, but that is all it was....talk. Nothing was done and as far as I know nothing is being done. See here for the most 'recent' attempt: http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=3,17468,,30

A suggestion was made about adopting AOKH's rms reviewing guidelines: http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=19,14799,,all

These ratings are caused mainly by a lack of guidelines/examples of what a good review is. Personally I think the review rules employed at AOKH and suggested in the thread linked above are appropriate. You can view them here: http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/reviews/randomrvw1.shtml

What I propose is that
1)the moderators remove all the ridiculous 1 line reviews from the downloads section
2)We as the scripting community start reviewing the random maps in the download section using the guidelines discussed in the AOKH thread.
3)Offer a place where people can ask to have their rms reviewed.

It would be nice to have 2 real reviews for each map script in the downloads section but perhaps that is a bit eager. For now we can aim to review 1 rms each per week.

Please post any comments here. Also indicate
1) if you are interested in participating in reviewing maps
2) once you have reviewed a map, which one
3) if you have any maps you want to have reviewed. If you do please provide the name and a brief description

Here is an example of a review I just did using the guidelines above: http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=2664

Guide to Debugging RMS
Download my RMS here
Help improve RMS reviewing here
A monk I need a monk.
I thought therefore I was.

[This message has been edited by Pascal9872 (edited 03-08-2004 @ 08:15 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08 March 2004 10:58 PM EDT (US)     1 / 10  
I may not be a scripter but I agree that in any case reviews like that help the one who created the design work in no way. There should be some update to the current system to make reviews more helpful to people downloading and the creator of the work.
posted 08 March 2004 11:27 PM EDT (US)     2 / 10  
thats why a review team is needed!

Auron: || Aurons Site || Aurons AoM:TT Creations || MY POETRY WEBSITE ||
posted 09 March 2004 00:06 AM EDT (US)     3 / 10  
I don't disagree Auron, an official design team would be great. But,

Quote:

posted 02-12-04 11:31 PM EDT (US) 40 / 40

That was the date of the last post made in the first topic I listed. You know the one where an official design team was suggested. Check the date on the last post in my second link, it was back in August.

It is obvious something needs done and great as an official design team is we can't dictate or count on that happenning. We can however, as a community decide that we are sick of useless one line reviews and make an effort to give constructive reviews. Perhaps upon seeing us making real reviews people will stop and think before posting one line 5s are 2s.

Personally I would sooner recieve a 2 with recommendations on how I can improve than recieve a dozen ego boosting 5s.

Guide to Debugging RMS
Download my RMS here
A monk I need a monk.
posted 09 March 2004 03:24 PM EDT (US)     4 / 10  
maybe by doing a sort of message that appears after you press the buttom "post Review" that informs people that unconstructive reiviews arent allowed and will be taken off the download section, before the person can create a review.

it is like warning people before they make the review.

Auron: || Aurons Site || Aurons AoM:TT Creations || MY POETRY WEBSITE ||
posted 22 March 2004 04:03 PM EDT (US)     5 / 10  
Thats a good idea but the problem with that is that it would need to be enforced and right now no one is removing crap reviews, broken downloads or incorrectly placed downloads.

Guide to Debugging RMS
Download my RMS here
A monk I need a monk.
posted 23 March 2004 08:59 AM EDT (US)     6 / 10  
This problem existed on AOKH also. At least there they changed the system to allow full reviews, by either official reviewers or fans, with 'less than full reviews' being relegated to 'Comment' status. But there were a lot of junk 'Comments' and 'homer' type of reviews done (by the script writer under a smurf name or one of his friends). But there has to be a staffer willing to review the reviews, which is a time committment. A staffer is needed also to set up the guidelines, maintain the site, eliminate the recorded games posted by mistake to the RM section, etc.

The biggest problem is the amount of time it took to do good reviews. I was really the only 'official' reviewer doing many RMS reviews for AOK. I was somewhat compulsive, and I would start up the RMS on all sizes at least twice, with varying numbers of players, to be sure the resources and features placed fairly, would play a full game or two on the map (virtually always as single player, as was hard to get others to commit the time to test), would analyze the RMS script in detail to check for errors or innovations, compare the script with the write-up, compare the script with the standard ES maps and with other scripters maps (and while doing active reviewing, I had looked closely at ALL of the maps then made) then do a review according to the established guidelines. Most of the maps I reviewed were good, and received a pretty comprehensive review, a few were garbage and got blasted. Check the AOKH site for some of these reviews, and I think you will appreciate the time put into them.

Unfortunately I no longer have the time to do this for either AOK or AOM. And how many players really want to give up time they could be playing the game instead?

posted 23 March 2004 01:06 PM EDT (US)     7 / 10  
Your reviews at AOKH were always well worth reading and very imformative. You are correct that a lot of things are needed to improve the ratings and they can be time consuming.

But if the ratings are to remain as they are then it would be better not to have them at all.

Quote:

Rating
Rating: 1

Additional Comments:
It sucked

Quote:

Posted on 02/15/04 @ 11:38 AM
Rating 5.0

Additional Comments:
Really Awesome map! Lot's o' resources.

A lot of people look only at the composite rating number and won't even click to download a poorly rated or unrated map.

Guide to Debugging RMS
Download my RMS here
A monk I need a monk.
posted 23 March 2004 02:03 PM EDT (US)     8 / 10  

But if the ratings are to remain as they are then it would be better not to have them at all.

We cannot give up on reviews. If I gave up because of the commumity response(or lack there of), I would have tried WC3 a long time ago. Reviews seem to be part of almost every game web site. I personally would like to see a standard set of responses people could use when they don't want to spend the time on a full review. A rating followed by one or more of these:

Didn't seem to work like I expected.
I tried it once and didn't like it.
Okay, but seemed like so many of the other maps.
Good effort, had something different.
I added it to my list of favorites.
Etc.

The author(or others) could ask for details. I'm not sure many care.

It would be nice if reviews could be weighted based on the amount of detail but that's asking a lot.

posted 23 March 2004 02:07 PM EDT (US)     9 / 10  

Quote:

I see the forests in norway EVERYDAY... and i have never seen skraelings...

Muhaha, that is the funniest thing I've ever heard.

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
|| In honor of FlipBizcut
|| Mod: The Age of Crusades
posted 24 March 2004 09:29 AM EDT (US)     10 / 10  
I disagree Jugit, if person can't take 10 minutes to write a real review (a truely constructive one will take much longer than that) then they should not rate the download, they can leave there comments and leave it at that.

Guide to Debugging RMS
Download my RMS here
A monk I need a monk.
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » A call to the scripting community - Script Reviews
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames