Please login or register

Website Feedback and Info
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A review team is needed.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 13 January 2004 05:00 PM EDT (US)   
The reviewing right now is very poor in the downloads section of AoMH. One sentence reviews, smurfs, and things of that nature are very common-place. We need a review team to prevent these things and to improve the overall quality of the downloads section. We've been discussing this in a topic in the scenario design forum. Here are the main points.

• It is clear something must be done to improve reviewing.

• The amount of work for the team is a question. It would take commitment. I don't see it as being overwhelming though.

• The public voice needs to be heard, not just a team of some reviewers. Perhaps there could be a two column rating in the downloads section. Official and Unofficial or Public.

• Saying people will leave is a valid point; however, people leave scenario design teams, the HG staff, even business in the real world. Recruiting someone new usually solves the problem. If not, being down one or two members short is alright for a period of time.

• Getting on the team. Some ideas for requirements were: Samples of writing / previous reviews, the ability to speak English well, having experience in the past playing scenarios (I.E. being versed with some of the classics like Ingo Van Theil's scenarios) dedication, maturity, remaining impartial and fair, etc.

• At AOKH the system was implemented after around 2 years of AoK's release. By then, there were people active, mature and responsible enough to follow their duties. Its been quite a bit of time since AoM's release, but it remains to be seen how feasible would it be to have an offical review team.

• Getting the staff (Soc, Zen) to make the proper adjustments (website changes mainly.)

Those are the main things that need to be looked at. I do think, however, that a review team would work very well. It has showed great sucsess at AoKH. It can show great sucsess here as well. Help out the designers, the website, the community. Let's get a review team started.

Byz
    Tsunami Studios
    "People are born to succeed, not fail." - Henry David Thoreau

[This message has been edited by Byzantine_Warrior (edited 01-13-2004 @ 05:03 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 13 January 2004 06:47 PM EDT (US)     1 / 40  
    I agree we need a team of "role-models" and active reviewers to represent quality reviews and the positive attitudes of our AoMH community members, however we will need someone to mannage these people, and that cannot be me. It's one job too many for teh CheeZy

So what do you think Soc? We need Zen's word on this too.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
    WildFire Games - Artist, Lead Scenario Designer, Game Designer for 0 A.D.
    "But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
    ----Stuff I've Made----
    posted 13 January 2004 07:08 PM EDT (US)     2 / 40  
    I'm up for it, if Kumar isn't

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
    « . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
    posted 13 January 2004 07:24 PM EDT (US)     3 / 40  
    what are the requirements to become a reviewer?

Auron: || Aurons Site || Aurons AoM:TT Creations || MY POETRY WEBSITE ||
    posted 13 January 2004 07:25 PM EDT (US)     4 / 40  
    I'll join up you guys next month or so, I'm am busy this moment

[This message has been edited by xLpx (edited 01-13-2004 @ 07:26 PM).]

posted 14 January 2004 00:50 AM EDT (US)     5 / 40  

Quote:

what are the requirements to become a reviewer?

• Has WinZip
    • Knows what is good and what is bad
    • Is not biased

• Familiar with what they review
    • Responsible
    • Not lazy
    posted 14 January 2004 01:00 AM EDT (US)     6 / 40  
  • has read the Review Guidlines and knows them by heart

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
    "But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
    ----Stuff I've Made----
  • posted 14 January 2004 09:40 AM EDT (US)     7 / 40  
    hmmmm....maybe i could if i had tt but i don't....
    posted 14 January 2004 02:52 PM EDT (US)     8 / 40  
    I think the requirements should be:

1). Good knowledge of triggers, cinematics and eyecandy. without having enough knowledge of these things, you cant really judge an scenario in bad or good way.

2). be responsable and have enough time to study the scenario you are willing to give a rate so that a well made review can be given to that certain person

3). Be polite, when giving a review.

posted 14 January 2004 03:49 PM EDT (US)     9 / 40  

Quote:

Knows what is good and what is bad

That is solely the opinion of the reviewer. I think maybe what you meant would lead back to, "having experience in the past playing scenarios (I.E. being versed with some of the classics like Ingo Van Theil's scenarios)," stated above.

Quote:

Good knowledge of triggers, cinematics and eyecandy. without having enough knowledge of these things, you cant really judge an scenario in bad or good way.

No, that should not a be a requirement. You do not need to know how to make scenarios, you simply need to, "have experience in the past playing scenarios (I.E. being versed with some of the classics like Ingo Van Theil's scenarios)," stated above. That way, you know what a good map and fun gameplay are like, but don't need to know how to make scenarios. Movie critics don't need to know how to make movies, simply what makes one good or bad by the standards of that time.

Quote:

Be polite, when giving a review.

Polite yes, but critical as well. You need to give the good points and give the bad points and say how the author could improve on those points. I just don't want "being polite" to be misinterpreted as not saying something bad about the scenario. Don't hold back, list every little thing that could be improved upon, but give reasons why. Never attack the author.

Great ideas thus far. I really hope this can get off the ground.

PS: I'd be willing to write up all of the ideas and structure etc. in a document if Soccy and Zen give the thumbs up.

Byz
    Tsunami Studios

[This message has been edited by Byzantine_Warrior (edited 01-14-2004 @ 03:52 PM).]

posted 14 January 2004 04:42 PM EDT (US)     10 / 40  
    This sounds like a good idea to me. Cheezy, message me the next time you get online and we can get to organizing this. (not meaning you'll be the one to deal with the guys most of the time, I just need someone to help me get the foundations set up )

Angel Socvazius | Chief Executive Officer, HeavenGames LLC
    "As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!"
    HeavenGames | Join the Facebook Group | The HG Blog
    Soccy's Periodic Obsession: ROFLCon
    posted 14 January 2004 05:32 PM EDT (US)     11 / 40  
    i never said that you need to know how to make scnearios. i only said that a reviewer should know at least a little about eyecandy, triggers and cinematics.

posted 14 January 2004 07:20 PM EDT (US)     12 / 40  
    How about Auron do it, he reviews everything pretty good. I myself can be a good reveiwer but I find that I have no time to review so many downloads or in other words I have a life outside of the computer

Top 15 RAF Ladder: [RoR]Acamas
    "Macs are the computing equivalent of a dumb blond. " - Silk
    Formally known as Acamas, Acamas_Samaca and Hero_Acamas
    If you are interested in the [RoR] clan visit our website
    posted 14 January 2004 07:24 PM EDT (US)     13 / 40  
    i would like to be a reviewer. and not just you have a life outside the computer.

posted 14 January 2004 07:48 PM EDT (US)     14 / 40  
    No, it just takes a lot of time to fully review all of those files.

posted 14 January 2004 07:58 PM EDT (US)     15 / 40  
    and to give a rating to all of those scneario requires more than just a group of 20 people.......

posted 14 January 2004 08:12 PM EDT (US)     16 / 40  

Quote:

and that cannot be me. It's one job too many for teh CheeZy

It seems like it is always one job too many for you

posted 14 January 2004 08:38 PM EDT (US)     17 / 40  
    If you knew how much Cheezy does around the community you wouldn't be saying that Athen.

posted 14 January 2004 08:38 PM EDT (US)     18 / 40  
    Would you have me sit you down and tell you all that I have to do each day? But I can't do that because you would you then just say I shouldn't brag.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
    ----Stuff I've Made----

[This message has been edited by CheeZy (edited 01-14-2004 @ 08:43 PM).]

posted 14 January 2004 08:41 PM EDT (US)     19 / 40  
    plz tell us cheezy

posted 14 January 2004 08:43 PM EDT (US)     20 / 40  
    Search for CheeZy monkey on google. I'm involved with 90% of the search results.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
    ----Stuff I've Made----

[This message has been edited by CheeZy (edited 01-14-2004 @ 08:47 PM).]

posted 14 January 2004 08:48 PM EDT (US)     21 / 40  
    omg! you really got a lot of thing to do.

posted 14 January 2004 08:50 PM EDT (US)     22 / 40  
    Unlike you Auron2, he doesn't come online to waste people's precious times with worthless comments.

posted 14 January 2004 09:38 PM EDT (US)     23 / 40  
    anyway, i dont get into a fight with you. i'll just get warnings for that. just chill, no reason to make agressive comments.

is the review team going to have some sort of like leader from the staff? if a reviewer team is going to be created, what will be the requirements?

[This message has been edited by auron 2 (edited 01-14-2004 @ 09:44 PM).]

posted 14 January 2004 09:46 PM EDT (US)     24 / 40  
    thats what the staff are currently trying to decide, give us some time

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
    ----Stuff I've Made----
    posted 15 January 2004 02:18 AM EDT (US)     25 / 40  
    In my humble opinion the most important qualities a reviewer must have are (I may be repeating some other posts here):

1. Strong command of the English language, i.e., vocabulary, grammar, spelling, etc...

2. They must be prepared to regularly set aside at least 3 hours per week to reviewing. This should average out to about 2-3 scenarios per week, or one 3-5 scn campaign per week. This includes time for playing the scenarios and writing the reviews.

3. They must be fans of AOM, and have the Titans expansion

4. They must have an eye for detail, and be patient.

5. They must be mature, and they must, themselves, be able to take criticism, since their own reviews will be subject to review.

6. They must be able to recognize when a designer has done something difficult or innovative. If this requires a reviewer have a basic familiarity with the editor, then they should. But that should be up to the reviewer to determine.

7. They must be honest, fair, and unbiased, and, while they should be able to point out all the good things in a scenario, they must also not be squeamish and be able to point out what could have been better. If they have suggestions, they should furnish them, but their reviews sholdn't be all subjective (see point 8 below).

8. They need to be able to follow the review guidelines and look at the material they review from as technical and objective a standpoint as possible for certain criteria.

9. They have to submit a sample review for a popular scenario (one that the lead recruiter/organizer has played and is familiar with).
    ---------------------------------------

Lastly, I had no interest in continuing this and would have let it die in the last thread... except for the small fact that the link on the website xLpx posted planted a FU**ING trojan horse virus on my girlfriend's computer and completely crashed it! After I got it going again, it took over an hour to do a full virus scan to find it. xLpx, for posting a link to a site you knew was malicious, I think YOU should be banned for 2 weeks! I'm certain you violated the HG Angels CoC by doing that.

:Z

Fly, you fools! The Zman cometh!
    "And a mighty TSUNAMI swept them all to sea..."

[This message has been edited by zamond (edited 01-15-2004 @ 02:25 AM).]

posted 15 January 2004 08:08 AM EDT (US)     26 / 40  
    Oh no, now this topic is going to be closed for flames by both staff and forumers. Great. Well, before that happens, Z, good points, but I think all but 2 and 9 were stated. Of course you said, "(I may be repeating some other posts here)" so no big deal.

Byz
    Tsunami Studios

[This message has been edited by Byzantine_Warrior (edited 01-15-2004 @ 08:08 AM).]

posted 15 January 2004 08:08 AM EDT (US)     27 / 40  
    I am totally up for this, but can get involved from the 19th/20th.

zamond, I have editted Lp's post to remove the link and the matter is being looked into. Sorry for the trouble is caused.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
    A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"

[This message has been edited by Kumar Shah (edited 01-15-2004 @ 08:36 AM).]

posted 15 January 2004 11:27 AM EDT (US)     28 / 40  

Quoted from Kumar:

I have editted Lp's post to remove the link

thanks Kumar, that's the most important thing.

Fly, you fools! The Zman cometh!
    "And a mighty TSUNAMI swept them all to sea..."

[This message has been edited by zamond (edited 01-15-2004 @ 11:29 AM).]

posted 15 January 2004 01:58 PM EDT (US)     29 / 40  
    There's no way a Trojan can be transfered through a website, not that I know of.

[This message has been edited by xLpx (edited 01-15-2004 @ 02:07 PM).]

posted 15 January 2004 04:04 PM EDT (US)     30 / 40  
    Yes they can, but if you have an up-to-date virus gaurd, then they are usually destroyed before they can do any harm

VergiL
    The Fora Augusta
    "Hey bastards, knock knock" - Sarge
    "Ha, piss on that, I'm bringing a ma-cha-te!" - Putman, Club Dread
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Website Feedback and Info » A review team is needed.
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames