General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Portugal or British in .08
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 07-25-06 09:00 PM EDT (US)   
Whats up gentelemen i just started playing again about 2 weeks ago. Portugal convinced me to start playing again considering i never played them before and they r nasty in 1.07.

Anyways 1.08 changes sound interesting. I think people are making too much of a big deal about lbows. Yes the 1.5 to ranged cavalry is nice, but honestly 9 times out of 10 im attacking lbows with hand cavalry or artillery. Nothing is going to effect the Portugese FF, one can still hit fort at 7:30 with 6 cassas and then send 2 oguns to negate brit lbows.

Mamelukes absouletly destroy grenaiders and lbows, which are the units brit is gonna make if he is trying to kill you in colonial. I always send Colonial Militia to help against any pre 7 min attack.

Dont get me wrong British ONLY benefit from this patch unlike other civs, but i still see them having problems with Portugal reguardless. Lower TC hitpoints hurts but not really considering Portugal will have 3 in less than 8 mins.

"Were surrounded.........this simplifies things." - Chesty Puller USMC 1950

"Let your plans be dark and as impenatrable as night, and when you move, fall like a lightning-bolt." - Sun Tzu
Replies:
posted 07-29-06 02:45 PM EDT (US)     51 / 72  
imo id be brits in 1.08. They are more fun to play.

Also

Manors/estates > extra tcs

lbow >casadores

Falcs > organ guys

Also ports imo are boring to play and the only reason i played them was for ronin. ...

Anyways jus remember this was all in my opinion.

posted 07-29-06 03:33 PM EDT (US)     52 / 72  
Manors/estates > extra tcs > banks

lbow >casadores > skirms

jinetes>goons>ruyter

guereros=redcoat>halb

i guess port will be reasonable balanced after the patch, at least better balanced then brittish

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩš_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

[This message has been edited by schildpad (edited 07-29-2006 @ 03:33 PM).]

posted 07-29-06 07:44 PM EDT (US)     53 / 72  
I'm sorry, but there is no way that Brit will be OP just from the 15/10 cheaper wood manours. If anything, it will give them somewhat of a competitive chance in 1v1. And don't begin saying things such as "omg wtf cheaper barracks pwn", beacuse every civ has the advantage.

There is no way in hell Britain will be as OP as Germany ... ever. Same for Spain, I'm sure the change in shipment times is NOT that significant.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
posted 07-29-06 10:36 PM EDT (US)     54 / 72  

Quoted from Brtnboarder495:

I'm sorry, but there is no way that Brit will be OP just from the 15/10 cheaper wood manours.

Look up "compound interest". Or just think "snowball effect". Then see if your opinion changes.

"One wants to be loved, failing that admired, failing that feared, failing that hated and despised. One wants to instill in other people some form of emotion. The soul shudders before emptiness and wants contact, no matter the cost."
posted 07-29-06 11:13 PM EDT (US)     55 / 72  
ENder lol.

Ender says, "Search feature rocks.
Here's a quote from that thread: "In conclusion, the Lancer can definetly be considered the best cavalry unit in the game"."

Right, the statment explains itself quite clearly acctually. To me that doesnt look like "teh best calvary eva!", what it looks like is a reasonable argument, dou you see the CAN DEFENETELY BE CONSIDERED the best cav unit in the game............

Ender ive heard you rant and rave a WHOLE LOT about the falconet and its superiority to Oguns. But none of what you say is a FACT, but just your OPINION. Every1 can agree that a falconet is better than Ogun, thats what ES intended, however the Ogun has a different attack distribution, which results in different things.

Ender says, "And I find it interesting that you chose to ignore this (obviously inconvenient to your argument) part:"

How about you ignoring that fact that you NEVER take anyone elses opinion into consideration but yours. Remember your a regular poster like every1 else not the pompous know all like you act.

Ender says, "And you know what they say about opinions ..."

Right tell yourself that =D

Ender says, " just spent the last 11 hours working outside (thankfully the night wasn't as hot as the previous days). I'm relaxing now, thanks very much. And making poor ub3r tear his hair out in frustration is part of it.

Annoying you, Ramaan, is another enjoyable part, and has been for a while."

Lmao! If you actually know the excact hours you spent outdoors, you need more friend. And if aggrivating and trying to frustrate people is your goal when you make posts, thats sad.

Ender what was you doing outside by the way? You have sooo much game knowledge, your cuetech is soooo high, i bet you were outside practicing strats with some corny friends of yours in your backyard, like acting them out irl.

"Let your plans be dark and as impenatrable as night, and when you move, fall like a lightning-bolt." - Sun Tzu

[This message has been edited by ub3r (edited 07-29-2006 @ 11:15 PM).]

posted 07-29-06 11:24 PM EDT (US)     56 / 72  
Who the hell cares if Lancer is the best Cav ever? This thread is not about Lancers... or if Oguns > Falconets? Lets not get into a pointless Ogun uses discussion because this will also bring us to nothing but a quote wars. I also don't give a >insert censored word here< to Ender's life or his cuetech, so could we get back on topic and stop trying to start quote wars?

Also hope no one qoutes me...

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
posted 07-29-06 11:31 PM EDT (US)     57 / 72  
mist hasnt been on in a while, and than Ub3r picks fights with ender.

why must this always happen?

posted 07-30-06 00:04 AM EDT (US)     58 / 72  
and now that im back, hes gonna be picking fights with me

Quote:

Dont get me wrong British ONLY benefit from this patch unlike other civs, but i still see them having problems with Portugal reguardless.

they definitly get the best benefit, and germany gets the worst, nobody can argue with that.

IMO ports will fall drastically on the power chart of civs, and defintily wont be top 3 anymore, along with ottos.

Quote:

Yes the 1.5 to ranged cavalry is nice, but honestly 9 times out of 10 im attacking lbows with hand cavalry or artillery.

1.07 drags + cannon would work fine, and hussars sucked. TBH i never used hussars vs. lbow, cannons and drags was all you needed to beat a brit. now the lbows will FURTHER own the drags, as they basically (kinda) did before.

this change is a HUGE disadvantage to ports, especially against the other booming civs (brits and dutch) because of the spamnation of skirms and longbows.

[FeaR]{KingSteve3721}
“I love my name of honor, more than I fear death.”- Julius Caesar
"The Pope! How many divisions has he got?"- Joseph Stalin
"The hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain."- Napoleon Bonaparte
"Dogs, would you live forever?"- Frederick the Great (addressing retreating Prussians at the Battle of Kolin)
posted 07-30-06 00:24 AM EDT (US)     59 / 72  
You guys need to stop makin me look like the bad guy, Ender always acts like his word is the better one, in EVERY argument, and just becuz i choose to not agree with him doesnt make me suspect.

Ender loves to quote people and try to twist and manipulate things they say so it seems exxaggerated, im just clearing it up.

Keep making crafty posts E, i always enjoy them, as for Oguns vs Falconet, i agree its a dead issue, the only reason why i mentioned becuz i have had success with them agianst longbows. Maybe others havet, but i have.

Lastly liek i said stop tryin to make it seem like im picking a fight, all i am doing is making decent threads thats start soemetimes heated discussions. You guys can hate all you want, but eveytime i make a post, it is a reasonable and sometimes, lengthy, debated discussion.

posted 07-30-06 00:36 AM EDT (US)     60 / 72  
I do not hate you. But I hate when people go tottally of topic just to argue.

BTW: My topic is directed to Ender too.

ESO - Walker

posted 07-30-06 00:39 AM EDT (US)     61 / 72  

Quoted from ub3r:

Lmao! If you actually know the excact hours you spent outdoors, you need more friend.

It's called a "job". Something you'll find out about when you're done with highschool.

Or not ...

Quoted from ub3r:

But none of what you say is a FACT, but just your OPINION.

It is my opinion or an undisputable fact that Falconets have a greater area of effect than Organ Guns?
Is it my opinion or an easily testable fact that Organ Guns cease fire and waste shots when their initial target dies?
Is it my opinion or an undisputable fact that Falconets have greater range than Organ Guns?
It is my opinion or an undisputable fact that Falconets have more hitpoints than Organ Guns?

Etc.

How many times do we have to come back to this pointless argument?

Quoted from ub3r:

How about you ignoring that fact that you NEVER take anyone elses opinion into consideration but yours.

Oh you mean like here?. Where just a couple of days ago I said:

"Now that I'm aware of these relatives I've no choice to be concede that I was wrong."

You might want to seek professional help about that obsession you have with me.

Quoted from ub3r:

Ender what was you doing outside by the way?

Installing NMD90 cable. How 'bout you? Done with homework?

"One wants to be loved, failing that admired, failing that feared, failing that hated and despised. One wants to instill in other people some form of emotion. The soul shudders before emptiness and wants contact, no matter the cost."
posted 07-30-06 00:45 AM EDT (US)     62 / 72  

Quoted from Just a player:

My topic is directed to Ender too.

*shrug*

I already wrote everything I had to say about Portuguese and British in 1.08. To say again that British will be one of the if not the top civ in 1.08 and that Portuguese will just be "OK" at best, would be repeating myself.

Oops ...

posted 07-30-06 00:48 AM EDT (US)     63 / 72  
You have doble posted just to quote me. You have to admmit you like quote wars

Anyway lets try to put some order here.

ESO - Walker

posted 07-30-06 01:25 AM EDT (US)     64 / 72  
Ender im the least bit even interested in you, never mind obsessed. Every1 on these boards know how you are, and the fact that you have to show me your own quote talking about how you admitted your wrong is solid proof of your character.

Like Player said lets have some order here, and you really dont want to talk about Jobs, i been out of highschool for 3 years, and i prolly make more money than your father.

Im just trying to have a decent argument about how i think Ports have success against Brits, and instead of giving his insight in a healthy discussion, he wontonly blasts every1s ideas and thoughts, to prove some kind of unneeded self security when it comes to knowledge about AOE3.

PS. Why would any1 have homework in the summer? ANd acctually im making money while posting this msg to you, considering im at work =D

Kep installing them wires you smart cable guy!

posted 07-30-06 01:54 AM EDT (US)     65 / 72  

Quoted from ub3r:

i been out of highschool for 3 years, and i prolly make more money than your father.

Oh I sincerely doubt that. On both counts.

Quoted from ub3r:

PS. Why would any1 have homework in the summer?

Usually (but not always) it's the people who failed a subject (or three) during the regular year that find themselves in summer school.
But I must admit that I wasn't thinking like a highschooler. Most people tend to work during the summer (with the exception of vacation time, which in my trade is pretty random, and almost never during the busy summer season with all the plant shutdowns that go on). Not surprising that it slipped my mind that some may be at home, relaxing.

Quoted from ub3r:

and instead of giving his insight in a healthy discussion, he wontonly blasts every1s ideas and thoughts

Nah, just your full of holes ones, mostly. Which you have a monopoly on in this thread. Just like you used to back in the day.
By the way, learn the difference between "providing a counter argument" and "blasting everyone's ideas".
For example, when I, among others in this thread have disputed your idea that 5 Mamelukes can kill 20 Pikemen, you not only did not concede it, but you switched to personal attack mode (on me, ofcourse). Which is not at all surprising. Personal attacks and insults are, after all, the last resort of the incompetent.

Quoted from ub3r:

Kep installing them wires you smart cable guy!

Pst ... It's a type of electrical, not video cable. Be careful about guessing people's professions, lest you show your own ignorance.

Lastly, let's boil this "discussion" down to the simplest possible level, so we can get this over with quicker:

My penis is bigger than yours.

There. That should speed things along, one way or another ...

[This message has been edited by Ender_Ward (edited 07-30-2006 @ 01:56 AM).]

posted 07-30-06 02:01 AM EDT (US)     66 / 72  

Quote:

Personal attacks and insults are, after all, the last resort of the incompetent.

Need the irony be pointed out?

posted 07-30-06 02:08 AM EDT (US)     67 / 72  

Quoted from The Bob:

Need the irony be pointed out?

Yes. Please do.

Because I can't believe you'd be that dense. I pointed out what this "discussion" between ub3r and myself is really all about. You'd need to make me care alot more about the guy to actually bother directly insulting him. Which I would be abit more creative in doing, if that was my intention.

P.S.
This thread locked yet?
The sooner this happens the sooner somebody (other than Mr. "I'll argue with a wall!" ub3r) starts a thread where people can actually discuss Brits and Portuguese in 1.08 like normal people, without throwing a hissy fit when one of their precious points is disputed.

[This message has been edited by Ender_Ward (edited 07-30-2006 @ 02:20 AM).]

posted 07-30-06 02:11 AM EDT (US)     68 / 72  
Hmm, good work Ender you've actually managed to not only ignore the fact you insulted him while telling him insults are the last resort of the inept, but you also managed to insult me for pointing out what you said.

Honeslty, I don't care about what you two are arguing over, I only read your post above the one I made; so how about instead of taking refuge amongst the "incompetent", when you so clearly believe yourself above them, you rise above their level and don't insult people over the internet.

[This message has been edited by The Bob (edited 07-30-2006 @ 02:12 AM).]

posted 07-30-06 02:19 AM EDT (US)     69 / 72  

Quoted from The Bob:

Hmm, good work Ender you've actually managed to not only ignore the fact you insulted him while telling him insults are the last resort of the inept,

Please show me where I directly insulted ub3r.

Quoted from The Bob:

but you also managed to insult me for pointing out what you said.

Expressing my disbelief that you did not get the "penis size contest" comparison, is insulting you?
*shrug*
Ok then ...

I have to say though, that you are quick to see an insult where there was half humour half commentary on what the thread devolved into. You seem awefully quick to feel insulted yourself as well. It wouldn't have anything to do with our previous "conversaion" history, would it?

P.S.
Anyway, I need to get some sleep now. Those wishing to continue this e-penis size comparison, feel free to go on without me for the time being.

[This message has been edited by Ender_Ward (edited 07-30-2006 @ 02:24 AM).]

posted 07-30-06 03:53 AM EDT (US)     70 / 72  
Mods, please close this. It has degenerated horribly into a flame/quote war and is no longer serving any purpose...

ESO : Pcfreak8
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L. A. van de Snepscheu
A pessimist is usually right and never disappointed.
Any history buff knows that nothing stops a cannon like a good uppercut. - BeatnikJoe
posted 07-30-06 04:55 AM EDT (US)     71 / 72  
*dances in a closed thread*

i'm sorry, i couldn't help it...

this thread has fallen apart into another eye-poking head-smacking episode with the two HG stooges.

i'm sorry, i couldn't help that either...

posted 07-30-06 08:00 AM EDT (US)     72 / 72  
Ugh.

I'll say this to all involved - you know who you are - the next time someone makes a personal attack, baits, trolls or flames under the pretence of arguing they'll get a week ban. This forum isn't the place to have a daily personal battle with people; it's annoying other forummers who just want to discuss. I've had enough of this and it's going to stop now.

Attack the argument, not the person.

-Closed

[This message has been edited by Luke M (edited 07-30-2006 @ 08:05 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Portugal or British in .08
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames