The Saloon (Off Topic)
Moderated by Maffia, Elpea, LordKivlov

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: *drools*
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 02-15-07 05:01 PM EDT (US)   
I just ordered a chicken tikka dhansak, pilau rice and peshwari nan. 15 minutes till awesomeness.

This thread is so that you can discuss Indian food (especially anglicised Indian food) in all it's glory ^_^

Replies:
posted 02-16-07 04:48 AM EDT (US)     26 / 57  
I had heaps of indian food for dinner just tonight!

Wow!

    
posted 02-16-07 06:53 AM EDT (US)     27 / 57  

Quote:

I've grown up eating a lot of Indian subcontinental food so I usually prefer the Arabian Meat Grills. ^_^

Traitor. xD

Although, that could also be the reasoning why I've taken such a fancy to Sunday roasts, fish and chips, the full english breakfast, meat pies.... O_o

Help me to tally the forums belief patterns, vote in my poll

Tally so far:-
Agnostics:18
Atheists:28
Theists:42
posted 02-16-07 12:40 PM EDT (US)     28 / 57  
I used to live with a guy from Bangladesh. All he ever ate was rice with curry, and chicken with curry, and more rice with curry. Wasn't a big fan, and my apartment always smelled like curry. He was a great guy though.

There's a large Indian influence on the food here in Djibouti. Almost all the snack foods are actually Indian. You talk with someone who's Somali and it's Somali food, you talk with someone from Yemen, and it's Yemenise food, or Lebanese food. It's all from India originally though.

My favorite Indian food that's widely served here is sambussa. They say it went from India, to Britain, to here, but I dunno how much truth lies behind that story. All the Indians on base say it's actually Indian though.

posted 02-16-07 04:24 PM EDT (US)     29 / 57  
^^^If the object you are refering to is a fried, patty like snack then yes it's origin is Indian.

posted 02-16-07 06:25 PM EDT (US)     30 / 57  
Don't forget the paan! The sweet, sweet paan! The king of all things sweet! Paan!

"Arvy is randomly full of win." - Skarr
|
"I don't watch cartoons, those are for third class people." - Arvy
"Yeah, children, those third class people." - Sails
And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!
posted 02-16-07 07:04 PM EDT (US)     31 / 57  

Quoted from Merkinball:

My favorite Indian food that's widely served here is sambussa. They say it went from India, to Britain, to here, but I dunno how much truth lies behind that story. All the Indians on base say it's actually Indian though.

Actually, it probably started in India and came through Persia and Mesopotamia via traders to the horn of Africa 2-3 thousand years ago. So says the Oxford Food Companion.

Funny, I was gnawing on a methi paratha today thinking about y'alls. There is one Punjab grocery in my city, and it's on the opposite end of town, and has funny hours. >:-( I am almost out of paratha and have neither the time, skill, nor inclination to try and make them myself. So I buy them frozen.

Best fish curry recipe I know was given to me by another neighbor from Hyderabad. Works best with rohu or other solid fleshed freshwater fish. That said, I'm vegetarian so have never made it myself.

@paan: Ugh, most Indian and Middle Eastern desserts are waaay too sweet and sticky. Halwa is the exception.

posted 02-16-07 08:13 PM EDT (US)     32 / 57  

Quoted from THANATOS:

Firstly it's not jibberish

You are a moron.

Quoted from THANATOS:

it means god is great

You are a moron.

Quoted from THANATOS:

it's said by all Muslims

You are a moron.

[This message has been edited by shrink (edited 02-16-2007 @ 08:19 PM).]

posted 02-16-07 08:16 PM EDT (US)     33 / 57  
You learn, after a while on the forums, that your relgion is not a topic that should be discussed at random intervals.

TaylorFlame - The Definitive Man.
posted 02-17-07 06:51 AM EDT (US)     34 / 57  
O_o.

posted 02-17-07 06:55 AM EDT (US)     35 / 57  
Shrink. MSN. ASAP!

I like to keep my backdoor open - Echo
posted 02-17-07 09:45 AM EDT (US)     36 / 57  
I'd try explaining to hotsatan, but I'm sure I'd get nowhere ^_^
posted 02-17-07 10:58 AM EDT (US)     37 / 57  
^^^ Correct!

That said I'm eating some chilli kababs as I type this.

[This message has been edited by THANATOS (edited 02-17-2007 @ 10:58 AM).]

posted 02-17-07 11:06 AM EDT (US)     38 / 57  
I want to go to an Indian place. There is a Buffet I wish to go to... haven't got around to it yet.

I haven't really had Indian food much... The crap dad cooks is disgusting.

posted 02-17-07 11:15 AM EDT (US)     39 / 57  

Quote:

Shrink. MSN. ASAP!

Sif I was awake at 12pm.
posted 02-17-07 11:37 AM EDT (US)     40 / 57  

Quote:

@paan: Ugh, most Indian and Middle Eastern desserts are waaay too sweet and sticky. Halwa is the exception.

Isn't that the stickiest and sweetest of them all :/
posted 02-17-07 11:41 AM EDT (US)     41 / 57  
Middle Eastern Deserts > Western deserts.

'nuff said.

posted 02-17-07 01:06 PM EDT (US)     42 / 57  
But paan is also the yummiest! I feel like watching Don now. All you Indians should know what that movie is and why I feel like watching it.

|
And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!
posted 02-17-07 04:53 PM EDT (US)     43 / 57  
Paan is no more a dessert than after dinner mints.

Now gulab jamun with rabri and we are in business.

This is another nice wikipedia article to browse on this topic.

[This message has been edited by THANATOS (edited 02-17-2007 @ 04:56 PM).]

posted 02-17-07 09:28 PM EDT (US)     44 / 57  
Not saying that it's a dessert, just saying that it tastes lovely. Gulab Jamun is much better than rasgulla. Ladoo is always very good. Papdi... good but not very good. Rasmalai = heaven. An article on Paan

|
posted 03-04-07 08:04 PM EDT (US)     45 / 57  
Today I went to an Indian restaurant called Bombay Suites. I got a dish called chholey bhature. It was really good, especially the chholey.
posted 03-04-07 08:06 PM EDT (US)     46 / 57  
This thread still exists?

I had Chinese tonight, which isn't as good as Indian. It's still wonderful and tasty though.

posted 03-04-07 08:08 PM EDT (US)     47 / 57  
I haven't had anything tonight...

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
posted 03-04-07 11:14 PM EDT (US)     48 / 57  
I had a nice, fatty, American-like, hamburger! ha, beat that!

oh you can wait for what I can give
you know what I am so you know how I live
try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
its happening now and it’s always been like this.
posted 03-05-07 10:05 AM EDT (US)     49 / 57  
My favourite dessert is this Arabian one called "Mahalabiya". It's something like cold rice pudding with rosewater and pistachios.
posted 03-05-07 11:58 AM EDT (US)     50 / 57  
Every weekend I make a giant pan full of biryani or vegetable curry or ghormeh sabzi (beans n' greens n' lamb sausage stew) and freeze 1-serving portions in yogurt cups to take with me to work. I also have containers of rice prepared in this way. This is by far easier and cheaper than going out to eat. Probably also a bit healthier, as I tend to use less grease and oil, and less salt for my own cooking. Last time I ate a hamburger was about 12 years ago.

Many of my co-workers are Indian or Persian or Arab, so I don't get as many stares when I unload a frozen monolith of rice and a frozen monolith of home-cooked fare into a dish and nuke it.

We don't have a lot of great Indian places to eat in this city, even though we have plenty of Indians. *shrugs*

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » The Saloon (Off Topic) » *drools*
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames