Please login or register

Age of Empires III Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Hmm, interesting...
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 09-24-03 08:27 PM CT (US)   
I was just browsing through some of the AoKH news archives and I uncovered this (courtesy of Angel Omnivac, March 3, 1999:

=========================================================

The German magazine Gamestar also has an article about Age of Empires II: Age of Kings in their April 99 issue. On the CD that come with the mag, there is also a preview of the game where you can see formations on the march and other various scenes, all in animated splendor. Almost a must even if you don't read German, hehe.

Heinrich Lehnhardt of Gamestar talked also to Bruce Shelley about his plans for the future. Heres what Bruce said:

- Ensemble Studios will release four parts: Age of Empires, Age of Kings, Age of Discovery, and the last one has no name yet.
- Age of Discovery (Bruce Shelley's favourite period of history) will cover the epoch from 1492 to 1918 when World War 1 ended, letting players build wooden boats up to mighty battleships.
- there might be a brand new 3d engine for Age of Discovery
- the last part, which will be released in 2003 will cover the epoch from the end of WW1 to the near future, including all the WW2 units.

- Then Bruce said they might start over again, just to insert new design ideas and new technologies which have been developed since good old Age of Empires I.

- There are also rumours of a second, new formed Ensemble team, working on a role-playing game in the tradition of Diablo.

==========================================================

Clearly this "tentative schedule" is quite off-track. However, might the idea that ES was indeed thinking about the concept of AoE III back before the game was even released increase the probability of it actually coming to fruition eventually?

Replies:
posted 09-24-03 08:29 PM CT (US)     1 / 33  
We can only hope that it does come to fruition...

"Blasted Paradoxes!, They get absoloutely everywhere!" - Danthered
Current Project:None
Proud Member of DGDN
Faded Glory LARP
Completed Projects: Dark Happenings
posted 09-26-03 09:39 PM CT (US)     2 / 33  
I'll believe it when I have proof.

/// (¬, (¯\ (¯¹ ¯)¯ (¯) )¬,
\\\ ==============
/// AoKH Forumer

posted 09-27-03 06:54 PM CT (US)     3 / 33  
Man, I absolutely love ya!!!

Sorry, I over reacted a little bit, but I had been looking for that article for 18 months now, I had read about the 4 AoE games, but I couldn't remember where the article was, and honestly, few people believed me when I told them about it (and I did several times in this forum)...

Antz, you believed me, thanks a lot, and here's the proof!

To everybody else who didn't believe me:, well, here's the article!

Ghost of Caesar: Great re-find man!

PS: Just to clarify something about the "schedule" they mention... take into account that after the Conquerors, they thought about leaving Microsoft, so they started doing AoM without knowing who would be the publisher, thus, AoE could not be made, as it's a Microsoft Trade Mark. That's the date difference. Suppose this hadn't been thought, and that game hadn't been a year late, as it happenned to AoM.

Then, AoE III would have gone out on 2001, its x-pack in 2002, and AoE IV would be 10 days away from release in the present 2003 year; if you think about it, it actually makes sense.

Co-Author of the Aztec Civilization Outline for AoM.
Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro to do The Hobbit!
Chichén Itzá is one of the New 7 Wonders of the World!

[This message has been edited by Compa_Mighty (edited 09-27-2003 @ 07:00 PM).]

posted 09-27-03 11:32 PM CT (US)     4 / 33  
Very interesting...

» Your attractive master.
» "Because I before E is a LIE!!!"

[This message has been edited by Angel Aro (edited 09-27-2003 @ 11:32 PM).]

posted 09-28-03 00:44 AM CT (US)     5 / 33  

Quote:

I'll believe it when I have proof.

Well Raptor, unless Bruce Shelley outright lied to a gaming magazine in March 1999, ES at one point was definitely planning to do an AoE III. AoM, of course, has thrown a wrench in this. I imagine they are in the quandary now of whether or not to do AoM II or AoE III.
posted 09-28-03 01:44 PM CT (US)     6 / 33  

Quoted from Gamespy:

GameSpy: Are there any topics or settings you'd like to see addressed in an RTS?

Bruce Shelley: Most of the obvious big topics have been tried, but not all have been successful. There hasn't been a really topnotch World War II RTS yet, for example. Space has been done very well by StarCraft, but their approach can't be the only way to do a great RTS in space.

GameSpy: Do you have any ideas floating around Ensemble now for your next title? Could you give us a sneak peek?

Bruce Shelley: Between Age of Mythology and Age of Empires we have established two very successful brands. We plan to keep making real-time strategy games for the near future. As for new ideas, our next big RTS could extend one of our brands or be something entirely new. By the end of the year, or soon thereafter, we will begin talking about what's next. We've found it a mistake to talk about half-baked projects, but we'll let you know as soon as we can.

This was posted in this interview: Gamespy's Bruce Shelley Interview

So from this thing I can only conclude one thing: the next game, which will be announced between December and March , will be: AoM 2, AoE 3, a WW2 game or a Space game.

AoM 2 is not likely, and if they want to go for sure success, then it'll be AoE 3.

posted 09-28-03 02:32 PM CT (US)     7 / 33  
I'm convinced.

/// (¬, (¯\ (¯¹ ¯)¯ (¯) )¬,
\\\ ==============
/// AoKH Forumer

posted 09-29-03 10:49 PM CT (US)     8 / 33  
Bah, I'm away for a week and this comes out I'm really into this AoE III Forum but I miss big stuff ¬¬

Good Strategists seize opportunities.
Great Strategists make their own.

Advance Britania

posted 09-30-03 05:07 AM CT (US)     9 / 33  
Hmm, interesting...

Yeah, very interesting!

Signed,
DaVe.
posted 09-30-03 07:31 AM CT (US)     10 / 33  

Quote:

- Then Bruce said they might start over again, just to insert new design ideas and new technologies which have been developed since good old Age of Empires I.

AoE and AoK remakes?? Yes veery interesting!
posted 09-30-03 11:29 AM CT (US)     11 / 33  
Actually this is the most interesting topic we've had for months!

[This message has been edited by Compa_Mighty (edited 09-30-2003 @ 11:34 AM).]

posted 10-03-03 12:05 PM CT (US)     12 / 33  
Up.

posted 10-09-03 10:00 AM CT (US)     13 / 33  
it looks like Stainless Steel Studios have already taken the idea where the game begins in the middle ages and gos to WW2 with Empires:dawn of the modern world , funny coincidence

i personally hope that ES makes an AOE III (you you have ANY idea on how outragously good that would sell!!!???)

just thinking of all the amazing possibilities they'll cook up keeps me awake at night!

Well Lois, I tried finding my creativity like you said. First I tried an art class..Am I-Am I supposed to draw the penis? Then I tried sculpting..Am I-Am I supposed to sculpt the penis? Then i tried music..Am I-Am I supposed to conduct with my penis? Then I realised that this is it, Lois, my penis belongs on stage! ---Family Guy

[This message has been edited by Nobull (edited 10-09-2003 @ 10:05 AM).]

posted 10-14-03 06:43 AM CT (US)     14 / 33  
:O Very good find. I reckon they do either Age 3 or a Space RTS. Stacraft was good but its old now so there is room for another one. As NoBull pointed out SS has taken the Medieveal to WW2 idea so I reckon they should leave that be with SS. AoE1 Remake would be cool though!
posted 12-03-03 11:17 AM CT (US)     15 / 33  
Just a little push to the first page.

Could you stick this one up Aro?

posted 12-08-03 11:25 PM CT (US)     16 / 33  
RoN has covered the stone age to Space age - so AOE III should stick to the same era it is in now. I mean I like it there anyway and if you go into the world wars then all you have is guns and things that go boom. The sooner that AOE 3 comes out where I am the better. Ill buy it as soon as I can.
posted 12-10-03 10:10 AM CT (US)     17 / 33  

Quote:

Age of Discovery (Bruce Shelley's favourite period of history) will cover the epoch from 1492 to 1918 when World War 1 ended, letting players build wooden boats up to mighty battleships.

Isn't it a bit fast?
posted 12-15-03 11:07 AM CT (US)     18 / 33  
I think it is, it should only cover the "wooden" ships era :s .

Good Strategists seize opportunities.
Great Strategists make their own.

Advance Britania

posted 12-16-03 11:25 AM CT (US)     19 / 33  
Perhaps it would be better to have until 1899.

Machine guns, armored battleships and planes were invented until the early 20th century.

posted 01-14-04 08:41 PM CT (US)     20 / 33  
But that is now an old article. They never openly expressed any ideas about the creation of Age of Mythology, but now that's already released! So who knows if there won't be an AoE 3 based on industrial ages or if there will. We can just wait and hope. (For a continously old-style AoE)

Ballsackus Maximus
posted 02-11-04 12:56 PM CT (US)     21 / 33  
There were ships called "Dreadnaughts" in the 1890s that were the precursors to "modern" battleships. Ships could probably go this way:

1.) Galleon -> Ship-of-the-line -> Steamship
2.) Ironclan -> Dreadnaught

Number one would be comparable to the "galley -> galleon" line in AOK and Number 2 would be comparable to the "cannon galleon -> elite cannon galleon" line in AOK. If that were the case, then I'd be all for it! I'd love to be able to command squadrons of Civil War era ironclads.

posted 03-18-04 03:00 AM CT (US)     22 / 33  
They aught to do it to the invention of machine guns wich would be VERY EXPENSIVE and not so good. I still don't like gun-games though.....
Pleasse don't ruin it by making guns the mainline units!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Check out the Age of Castles thread

Jesus died on calvary...

Projects: Warriors of the northern Swamps
Norlandian Saga

posted 12-12-04 04:18 AM CT (US)     23 / 33  
On the topic of machine guns... As all Brits should know with shame, the Maxim gun acted as a precursor to the true Machine gun during the late 19th century. But back to the general discussion.

If ES still hold this idea at heart, then I doubt we would only be able to play as European colonies as mentioned by another thread. If the span is as large as 1500-1900 then it would be mad not to include the rest of the world. As RoN pointed out, you can do a large timescale without losing culture's identity (Sorry I was let down by Empire Earth ).

posted 01-11-05 11:53 PM CT (US)     24 / 33  

Quote:

They aught to do it to the invention of machine guns wich would be VERY EXPENSIVE and not so good. I still don't like gun-games though.....
Pleasse don't ruin it by making guns the mainline units!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

unfortunately, history has not gone that way. throughout the ages, the human race has sought "more creative means of killing itself" (I,Robot the movie). Weaponry has advanced. Today, a wooden stick would be useless against, say, an M-16. Guns have taken the focus off of blade weapons.
Besides, i think swords killed more people than guns. Would you rather have your stomach slashed open or a hole in it?
i probably ruined some dude's dinner: i am in a glum mood today.

Anyways, this site is most of the details one would think up on AOEIII/AoD

what was this thread about again?
ohwell...

[starts to leave]
[turns around]
STARCRAFT???
actually an insane amount of rumors is going throughout the Battle.net forums(the sc people) about the release of sc:2. however, there is no press released plans for said game, and i am sure that if AoD comes out sometime soon-ish, it will spell bad news for us sc:2 wannabes (provided sc:2 does come out.)
i would like for another space based rts to come out. there are times when sc is not enough, boring even. it would be cool to see the progress from sputnik to shuttle to stations to colonies.

disregard the last two words: colonies is too expansive: go ahead and email me asking why. [EMAIL]fiftee_persent@msn.com[EMAIL] i like getting funny email.

thats my rant for the month. many dead people left in the wake.

¤"People should know when they're conquered."
-Quintus, Gladiator, scene2¤

[This message has been edited by ultrax1 (edited 01-12-2005 @ 00:04 AM).]

posted 01-13-05 09:30 PM CT (US)     25 / 33  
This thread is 2 years old.

Signed,
DaVe.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Age of Empires III Discussion » Hmm, interesting...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames