You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Difficulty Level condition???
posted 03-28-02 01:05 AM CT (US)   
I tried to do many triggers to set the difficulty but when I went to test it, all triggers (easiest, standard, moderate, hard and harder) were activated So I had six different messages, units removed and placed and everything was just messed up...

All I used was:

no objective display
yes starting on
no looping

Condition 0- Difficulty Level easiest
effect 0- remove these guys
effect 0- place this guy and so on

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?????????

ElfTheHunter [aka Shane Mackinnon]

-=Wildfire Games=-_{The Last Alliance}
------- Senior Game Designer, Lead Level Designer --------
Contact me: elfthehunter@tla.wildfiregames.com

Replies:
posted 03-28-02 02:08 AM CT (US)     1 / 14  
It's not you, it's the weird way that difficulty conditions work.

ES assumed that designers will give the player more bonuses (extra units, extra upgrades etc.) on easier settings. The harder the level, the fewer of those bonus triggers get activated. Maybe ES did not foresee that designers might have the idea of making enemies stronger on harder difficulty levels.

The Problem: The chosen difficulty level in triggers does not only get activated if the player plays in exactly that same difficulty level. It also gets activated if the player plays in an easier mode.

I hope I'm doing this the right way round, otherwise I'll go back and edit it later:

On Hardest: Only Hardest should go off.
On Hard: Hard and Hardest get activated.
On Moderate: Moderate, Hard, Hardest get activated.
On Easy: Easy, Moderate, Hard, Hardest get activated.
On Easiest: Fireworks! Trigger chaos! Message chit-chat! (All five difficulties get discovered at once.)

I hope ES won't apply this logic to their editor in AoM...

Ingo

posted 03-28-02 02:17 AM CT (US)     2 / 14  
Hey ElfTheHunter,

I had a similar situation, and I had to make each trigger set, deactivate the others. Create a additional one to give some time for the others to deactivate. I did something like this below:

TRIGGER 0
no objective display
yes starting on
no looping

effect 0- activate trigger 1
effect 1- deactivate trigger x (other difficulty triggers)

TRIGGER 1
no objective display
yes starting off
no looping

Condition 1- Timer [3]
effect 0- remove these guys
effect 0- place this guy and so on

NOTE: set the second set to off for all the different levels. The timer is just a precaution to give the others time to deactivate.

I couldn't understand it either...as to why it wouldn't just work that way with the conditions set like you have.

Ingo:
That explains it...I think it works the other way though...I'll check and get back.

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk

[This message has been edited by AnastasiaKafka (edited 03-28-2002 @ 02:37 AM).]

posted 03-28-02 03:10 AM CT (US)     3 / 14  
Ahh man... Now if only I had come here sunday I would have my scenario done Oh well...

thx Ingo and Anastasia!

posted 03-28-02 09:39 AM CT (US)     4 / 14  
Say... when I load up my custom cpx files, easy and easiest are not available as difficulty levels.

Anyone got an idea what's up with that?

posted 03-28-02 10:09 AM CT (US)     5 / 14  
Hi Gordon,

There are only three difficulty levels in the Conquerors expansion pack: Standard (= Easy), Moderate and Hard. In the original Age of Kings, there were five difficulty levels.

Ingo

posted 03-28-02 10:58 AM CT (US)     6 / 14  
Thanks, Ingo!

btw -- more feedback on Ulio soon!

posted 03-28-02 01:36 PM CT (US)     7 / 14  
Actually what Ingo said only stands for campaigns... If you are playing a scenario you can select Easiest,Standard,Moderate,Hard and Harder...

posted 03-28-02 02:18 PM CT (US)     8 / 14  
What is missing in the AoK editor is the ability to toggle between "less-than", "equal-than", "more-than", not only for difficulty levels, but also for "accumulate atribute", "objects in zone", etc.

Aren't you tired of making three or more triggers which deactivate one another just to get something as simple as "less objects in zone"? Well, I am indeed

Hu seo þrag gewat, genap under nihthelm, swa heo no wære
"As for the comment made by eithyddyswcitwr, could you please post back with better grammar that we can all understand, thankyou."
Winner of Sul's Most Obvious Comment Award
Tsunami StudiosWildfire Games
The Frankish Throne (4.6)
posted 03-28-02 02:29 PM CT (US)     9 / 14  
...and having to write each trigger from scratch instead of just hitting a button that says "Duplicate Trigger"?

Which is why the Empire Earth editor is so awesome. Hopefully, the AOM editor will incorporate many of these features...

posted 03-28-02 02:42 PM CT (US)     10 / 14  
The difficulty setting can be handled very easily using AI - simply use an AI to detect the difficulty level and set a different signal depending on the difficulty. Instead of your triggers checking the difficulty settings, check the ai signals instead.
posted 03-28-02 02:44 PM CT (US)     11 / 14  
Gordon:

Great! Looking forward to it. And in case you need any playtesters in the near future...

Elfthehunter:

You're right about the difference between scenarios/random maps and campaigns - I completely forgot about that, because I've only played campaigns for ages. Thanks for putting me straight.

I just checked the difficulty conditions in my first post, and they were in the correct order. *Phew*

Btw, if you want exact conditions, there is a way: The Ai and the triggers need to work together for that. Feel free to copy and paste this stuff into your Ai if you need it. In the Ai, you can write those lines:

(defrule
(difficulty == easy) ; IF the difficulty is easy (=standard)
=>
(set-signal 1) ; THEN send signal no 1 to the triggers
(disable-self)
)

(defrule
(difficulty == moderate)
=>
(set-signal 2)
(disable-self)
)

(defrule
(difficulty == hard)
=>
(set-signal 3)
(disable-self)
)

Whenever one of the three difficulty levels gets chosen, the Ai only detects that difficulty level, and sends a respective signal to the triggers. The condition in the triggers is "Ai signal" instead of "difficulty level".

The trigger that goes off if it detects Ai signal 1 is for "standard" settings.
The trigger that goes off if it detects Ai signal 2 is for "moderate", and the third one for "hard".

Hope this helps.

Ingo

[This message has been edited by Ingo van Thiel (edited 03-28-2002 @ 02:48 PM).]

posted 03-28-02 04:50 PM CT (US)     12 / 14  
Yeah, that really makes it easier. Thanks Ingo.
posted 03-28-02 05:16 PM CT (US)     13 / 14  
Ingo:

OK...I see you checked too. I couldn't remember what I was doing when I came across that problem, but thanks again for explaining it all.

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk
posted 03-28-02 06:34 PM CT (US)     14 / 14  
Thank you Ingo, that helps a bunch

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Difficulty Level condition???
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames