You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Advanced Trigger Tricks - things to enhance your scenario, but may take a lot of work
posted 06-11-02 10:39 PM CT (US)   
ADVANCED-TRIGGER-TRICKS
By The
Kestrel

Ok, so I'm bored and tired from swimming, but I came up with all of these myself, some today, and some last year. Fell free to use them, and a quote in the credits of your scn would be nice to put if you do.

Trigger tricks so far:
-Ramless food consumption
-Item un-equip system
-Random events
-Mounting Soldiers (Link)

RAMLESS-FOOD-CONSUMPTION
This trick is useful if you don't want to use the ram food consumption trigger thought of by Ex-T in the old days. It is neater, and requires only three(3) triggers for the consumption, plus a loss trigger or whatever happens when food runs out. You will also need to add the eating triggers yourself. Note that this can be used with anything, just replace accumulate attribute with units garrisoned or whatever depending on what you need. The trigger structure works like this:
---------------------------------------------------
TRIGGER 0: Loop-Off StartingState-On
Conditon 0: Timer=2
Effects: =Whatever happens when you run out of food.

TRIGGER 1: Loop-On StartingState-On
Condition 0: Accumulate Attribute- Food: 1
Effect 1: Deactivate "TRIGGER 0"

TRIGGER 2: Loop-On StartingState-on
Condition 0: Timer=(Whatever, if you can survive for a certain amount of time without food, set it here)
Effect 1: Activate "TRIGGER 0"
----------------------------------------------------
[END OF SECTION]

ITEM-UNEQUIP-SYSTEM
If you want your scenario to require items to be equipped, wouldn't it be cool if other ones had to be unequipped first? Seems impossible, but there is a way! Instead of going over the trigger structure, I'll just explain what has to be done, as the triggers are simple enough to create.

It works like this: Put a unit in the coner of the map when no item is equipped. Every time an item is equipped, the unit is removed. Every thime an item is unequipped, it recreates. Items can only be equipped if there is a unit in the corner of the map. Making the equip system is up to you, wheather it's through taunts or through pavillions or whatever on the map.
[END OF SECTION]

RANDOM-EVENTS
This is simple enough to make, but the more events there are, the more triggers are required. The trigger structue on this is easy it involves times and then whatever has to happen for events to be triggered works like this:
-----------------------------------------------------
TRIGGER: Time 1
Loop-Off StartingState-On
CONDITION 0: Time=Number you want for even switch time
EFFECT: Activate "Random 1"

TRIGGER: Random 1
CONDITIONS: Whatever has to ahppen to trigger event
EFFECTS: Effects caused by the event + Activate "Time 2"

It repeats like that for as many time triggers and such. I'll make a tutoraial on this if anyone needs one.
------------------------------------------------------
[END OF SECTION]

MOUNTING UNITS
LINK!

HOPEFULLY MORE TO COME!

You want fries with that?

[This message has been edited by The Kestrel (edited 06-11-2002 @ 10:58 PM).]

Replies:
posted 06-11-02 10:50 PM CT (US)     1 / 10  
I didn't get the Random-Event and am interested in it. Could you send me an e-mail with the structure or post it here, or send me the scn?

ElfTheHunter [aka Shane Mackinnon]

-=Wildfire Games=-_{The Last Alliance}
------- Senior Game Designer, Lead Level Designer --------
Contact me: elfthehunter@tla.wildfiregames.com

posted 06-11-02 10:59 PM CT (US)     2 / 10  
Fixed!

posted 06-12-02 00:10 AM CT (US)     3 / 10  
My dumb head will prolly need a tutorial but I figured out how to do my own random (kinda). But if you make a tutorial I'd be interested.

Here's what I'm getting:

You have a trig that solo purpose is to setup a time condition, then it activates another condition for the final event? If so why not just make two conditions on the same trigger. Then it would have to have the 2nd condition AND the right time... I don't know what I'm talking about.

ElfTheHunter [aka Shane Mackinnon]

-=Wildfire Games=-_{The Last Alliance}
------- Senior Game Designer, Lead Level Designer --------
Contact me: elfthehunter@tla.wildfiregames.com

posted 06-12-02 04:31 AM CT (US)     4 / 10  
nothing really special here. Sorry... they are maybe advanced but not special. There aren't many trigger tricks you can call special.

but is a nice idea

Download the Trigger Trick guide v2.0 ID 344
Creator of the Return of the Mummy series id 715 :: Zelda sneak preview ::
Newest project: The World of Zelda

[This message has been edited by The Editorbuilder (edited 06-12-2002 @ 04:32 AM).]

posted 06-12-02 01:12 PM CT (US)     5 / 10  
I used to have a different Random Event Generator, where there is a hidden war elephant (or any very very slow unit) patrolling in certain places. I'm too lazy to post the triggers here but experts may be able to figure out what to do. I was going to use it to cause 4 different damage figures for attacks in the Final Fantasy Fight System (instead of every fireball doing 22 damage, depending on where the ele is it may cause 14, 17, 22 or 26 damage, etc.)

These seem like a good idea, but I don't really think much of food consumption (either system). The only upside of them is to stop ppl from going off roads and killing everything in existence. It's the thing that made BoE 2 a crap campaign (lol, no offense Bon).

Good work Kestrel!!!

Is anybody trying to squint at this text? stop... IT'S POINTLESS!
posted 06-12-02 06:08 PM CT (US)     6 / 10  
Good work, The Kestrel!
Although these tricks were already known, they're still great. It's amazing what people can do with their AOK editor

Hu seo þrag gewat, genap under nihthelm, swa heo no wære
"As for the comment made by eithyddyswcitwr, could you please post back with better grammar that we can all understand, thankyou."
Winner of Sul's Most Obvious Comment Award
Tsunami StudiosWildfire Games
The Frankish Throne (4.6)
posted 06-12-02 07:44 PM CT (US)     7 / 10  
If you want me to figure out anything complex with triggers, ask.

[This message has been edited by The Kestrel (edited 06-12-2002 @ 07:44 PM).]

posted 06-13-02 11:58 AM CT (US)     8 / 10  
Kestrel,

These tricks you posted really are among the most useful tricks in the AOK editor, but they are mostly already known so not that special

but i actually show particular interest to the random generator, because i am making a weather system for my new cpn, and i wanted to be able to make the weather RANDOMLY pop up in places, so like theres not a certain rain or sunshine pattern...could you or yuri explain one of your methods a little bit more specifically?Im really curious about it.

Da Man is BACK!!!
I have my own little world, they know me there
Its not that im Anti-Social... i just dont like YOU!
I SEE DUMB PEOPLE!!!!!!
posted 06-13-02 05:42 PM CT (US)     9 / 10  
Have something like this in an area where you can't see. S = pallisade, U = a slow unit. The unit patrols across the area within the pallisade. MAKE SURE IT IS A REALLY SLOW UNIT!!!

SSSSSSS
SABCDUS
SSSSSSS

Trigger name: Random weather 1
Condition: Objects in area (slow unit, area A)
Condition: Whatever you want to trigger the weather change
Effect: Deactivate all other random weather triggers for this particular event.
Effect: Activate a trigger that plays a rain sound effect every X seconds.
(next bit to be applied with rain and snow modpack) Effect: create object: Some Flag B's in patricular areas (end of modpack)
Add any other effects required for your needs.

*too lazy to post rest, maybe later*

Is anybody trying to squint at this text? stop... IT'S POINTLESS!
posted 06-13-02 06:23 PM CT (US)     10 / 10  
sounds like it could work,, really could indeed! i like it..im gonna try it today and see if it works...i get the idea now, thanks alot....athough it seems kinda foggy i think i get it.please post rest soon.

Da Man is BACK!!!
I have my own little world, they know me there
Its not that im Anti-Social... i just dont like YOU!
I SEE DUMB PEOPLE!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by who_da_man12 (edited 06-13-2002 @ 06:25 PM).]

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Advanced Trigger Tricks - things to enhance your scenario, but may take a lot of work
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames