Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Laws of the Map Editor #4: Map Copy and BETA Units
posted 11-13-02 08:42 PM CT (US)   
LAWS OF THE MAP EDITOR
Map Copy and BETA Units

The Laws of the Map Editor series was created by CrystalCrown to help others understand the quirks and unexplained mysteries of the Age of Empires II Map Editor. The author has reached a conclusion on the following subject through logic and inductive reasoning. The author makes no claims on the accuracy of this information and cannot be held accountable for consequences arising from use of such information.

Introduction

One of the many features overlooked by new designers is the Map Copy feature. It can be found under the "Terrain" section of the MAP EDITOR on the left column. Once you click it, the Map Copy menu will appear. To copy a section of your map, simply highlight it and click Copy Selected Map Area, then just click where on the map you want it to be copied to. You can also rotate and flip copied areas. In addition, you can change the ownership of copied units. However, keep in mind that the Map Editor is not a word processor, and copying large areas may crash your computer.

Custom Buildings

Another useful feature of the Map Copy feature is ability to paste objects on top of other objects. For example, if you want to spruce up your Cathedral (pun intended), Map Copy some trees and/or villagers over the building. Some other commonly used mixed buildings include copying a Far Eastern House over a Trade Workshop to create a hotel-like structure, and copying a Lumber Camp and Shipwreck over a Siege Workshop to create a shipyard.

BETA Units

BETA Units are any units created for use in AGE OF EMPIRES II, but were never official released by Ensemble Studios, such as the Sea Wall and Sea Gate. However, with a little patience, designers have created templates with such units for your use, which can be found in the Age of Kings Heaven's Blacksmith (Rasher's Map Tricks and Enrique Orduno's New Units and Objects Template).

Some Beta Units include the following:

• Sea Wall
    A Palisade Wall on water
  • Sea Gate
    A Gate on water
  • Sea Tower
    A Tower on water
  • Cobra Car
    Same as the cheat unit
  • VMDL
    Villager Model; same as the cheat unit
  • POREX
    Gold mine that causes miners to become invisible
  • Port
    A fancy Dock
  • Civilization Relics
    Changes name of Monks who pick these up
  • TWAL
    BETA West European Wall

Miscellaneous

The Map Copy function even works for use between different scenarios. Simply copy the area of one scenario, then choose the edit the other and paste it in. Also, do not forget in multiplayer maps, Map Copy can be a real time-saver if you want all players to have the same Units.

Previous Issues

1. Walls and Gates
  2. Walk-through on Cliffs
  3. The Beauty of Bridges

CRYSTALCROWN

Play OnlineBecause you really can't gloat about beating the computer.
Learn the FlushSo you don't lose every game in under 20 minutes.

It's not a post count; it's making your posts count.

[This message has been edited by CrystalCrown (edited 12-02-2002 @ 06:15 PM).]

Replies:
posted 11-13-02 08:44 PM CT (US)     1 / 19  
Yes, I do realize that this week's issue was a bit short and a bit late. I've been very busy this week, so please bear with me. Nevertheless, enjoy this issue.

CRYSTALCROWN

posted 11-13-02 09:25 PM CT (US)     2 / 19  
you must be a mind reader hehe i was just wondering about copying map sections to different scenario's

that saves me posting a new thread hehe

posted 11-13-02 09:30 PM CT (US)     3 / 19  
That's my job.

CRYSTALCROWN

posted 11-14-02 05:22 AM CT (US)     4 / 19  
Good job once more, there certainly do help with budding designers like myself.

+----------+ Completed Projects +----------+
//- Realistic Eroded Rivers -//
+----------+ Projects in Progress +----------+
[-+ Age of Kings Heaven Communal Campaign +-]

posted 11-15-02 10:38 AM CT (US)     5 / 19  
Too bad you did not explain the beta units more, like what their names could mean.TWAL=Tall Wall I think. BTW, where are the piles of food and such?

Anyways, good work, CC.

DARK_ARO ¤¤¤¤¤ Dragon Gaming Design Network | Age of Kings Heaven Forums ¤¤¤¤¤
Dragon Gaming Design Network Administrator | Multiplayer Custom Scenario Night Member
dark_aro@dgdn.net | "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow."
My Projects: AoK-- When Darkness Stands Still ~40% Robin Hood Legends ~17%
My Recommendations
posted 11-15-02 08:18 PM CT (US)     6 / 19  
MAN!!! I love These Laws.. (Not that I don't know them already) They are so Directly Put into simple ways of understanding... when I try and Explain such things I seem to fumble and say... Try messing arou8nd with Trial and Error....

I think you should go More advanced into some of the Laws.. Like For Bridges.... Incase some Rookie Mappers have problems finding in the MASSIVE Archives of the Heavens.

Also... I think that your Effort into this is a well put one...

- Delta

-=ϤÏ_Delta__Sigma_ϤÏ=- Mapping Since 1999
Leader of: Mø®å| Kñíghš, www.Mortal-Knights.tk
Current Project: Ñíñjä Çådë§ £ëgåçÿ øƒ Ðívìñî¥

Mortal Knights © Copywright ²°°²
posted 11-15-02 08:23 PM CT (US)     7 / 19  
CC has already done one on bridges.

zyxomma100- Age of Kings Heaven forumer
Proudly thwarting Dark_Aro's evil plans since 2002
"There is nothing more sad than watching a teutonic knight chasing a petard."
posted 11-15-02 08:29 PM CT (US)     8 / 19  
Thanks guys, and yes, I will be moving on to some more advanced stuff soon (time-permiting of course). What do you all think I should focus on more, map design or triggers?

Btw the one on bridges can be found HERE.

CRYSTALCROWN

posted 11-15-02 10:19 PM CT (US)     9 / 19  
No I ment he Should do a more Advanced (or just ones that you didnt mention before) Bridges.. Law 3 Section 2 sort of thing.. cause he left out some other ones like invisible farms... and burning bridges......

For Beta units you can do one that I only recently discovered... the Junk... can Hide behind building with out being seen... (I can put a screenshot of it on here if you want) Just things that New Mappers can learn... something that will bring more people here

- Delta

[This message has been edited by DeltaSigma (edited 11-15-2002 @ 10:20 PM).]

posted 11-16-02 12:01 PM CT (US)     10 / 19  
I believe that burning bridges is in Misc. section of that article. And yes, these artciles are made to hopefully attract more ppl into designing for AoK.

Can I see the screenies?

CRYSTALCROWN

posted 11-16-02 02:19 PM CT (US)     11 / 19  
*Points tot he hidden junk toppic*
http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,30044,0,10

posted 11-16-02 02:37 PM CT (US)     12 / 19  
I suppose this is a little off topic, due to being more farm related, but does anyone know...

How to make dead farms a mapcopy-able terrain?

Thank you...

_____________VIight VIecromancer »»»»»»»»»__________________________The Nocturnal Numina of Necromancy ~¤
»»»»»»¤¤Terms of Service »»»»»»¤¤AoK Heavens »»»»»»¤¤AoK Forums »»»»»»¤¤MCSN »»»»»»¤¤The Research Treasury
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
"The most important trait an artist in games industry can have is ambition" - Steven Thompson, Gas Powered Games
posted 11-16-02 08:03 PM CT (US)     13 / 19  
Huh... I have not seen this one, even though Philip Dunscombe got a "new" (as in when you first place one) farm terrain in his Neat Tricks I. I do not think you can get a dead farm terrain.

BTW, feel free to just post these kinds of questions . That way, many more people can see the new topic.

Dragon Gaming Design Network Administrator | Multiplayer Custom Scenario Night Member
My Recommendations
posted 11-16-02 10:03 PM CT (US)     14 / 19  
Yup, we're always open to innovative ideas.

Btw, does anyone anything 'different' about my new sig.
HINT: See last two words of first line.

CRYSTALCROWN

[This message has been edited by CrystalCrown (edited 11-16-2002 @ 10:04 PM).]

posted 11-16-02 10:06 PM CT (US)     15 / 19  
Oooooo . Go CC . You had my vote. Welcome to the DGDN.

My Recommendations
posted 11-16-02 10:17 PM CT (US)     16 / 19  
Not only that, CoC has been changed to complaints and the LotME (hehe cool acronym) link works now.

Oh and thanks to the nine ppl who voted me in. No more 'secret lair' anymore.
*takes off Dark_Aro mask*

CRYSTALCROWN

posted 11-17-02 01:06 AM CT (US)     17 / 19  
Congratulations, on becoming a DGDN member!
I tried joining in and all, but I got so preoccupied in my 'other' activities I never got on completing my registration....

Alright, continuing on the question.... I wanted an effect like this. I am using pictures submitted in Philip's prior post. As well I found these quotes that might answer the question....

Quoted from philip dunscombe:

I used map copy and some other techniques. I used these foundations to create my invisible type of farm. I did not have to start the game to have them come in the editor though but I am glad you found this.
GJ Shiva! Since the foundations can be copied once they are acutely out in the open they need only be found once.

Again nice bringing it to people's attention.

BTW the dead farm I did need to start the game to get. HereÃÔ what I did,

I used my invisible farm I had made and map copied several large lines of these some would end up being inactive farms but they are still useful.

Then I killed the farm once in game, when the game starts back up again you have the dead terrain in the editor. Hope this helps some people out.

Note* that you must have part of the farms in the invisible farm area to get the dead terrain. What ever part was touching will be this dead terrain and you will be able to copy it where you like.

_____________VIight VIecromancer »»»»»»»»»__________________________The Nocturnal Numina of Necromancy ~¤
»»»»»»¤¤Terms of Service »»»»»»¤¤AoK Heavens »»»»»»¤¤AoK Forums »»»»»»¤¤MCSN »»»»»»¤¤The Research Treasury
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
"The most important trait an artist in games industry can have is ambition" - Steven Thompson, Gas Powered Games
posted 12-22-02 11:40 PM CT (US)     18 / 19  
A little confused by "Crystal Crown's" copy function in the editor,,i can understand the ,copy area,but where pray tell .is the "edit the other" so i can paste ?? I can't find it.
posted 12-22-02 11:47 PM CT (US)     19 / 19  
Set the area of the map copy in the terrain tab (select the area you want to copy), and press the map copy button.

» Your attractive master.
» "Because I before E is a LIE!!!"
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Laws of the Map Editor #4: Map Copy and BETA Units
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames