You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: What speed should I adjust my scenario to?
posted 02-02-03 02:52 PM CT (US)   
If it will feature background music, voices, and other time based sounds, I will tell the player to play with the right speed set. I have a question though, is normal or fast the way to go?

:=:=:=: Status of my upcoming Aztec campaign :=:=:=:
:=: Number of scenarios: 1 :=: RPG elements :=: Background Music :=:
:=: Map 80% :=: Triggers 0% :=: Instructions/Story 0% :=: Sounds 70% :=:
Small Screenshots: [01] - [02] - [03] - [04]
Replies:
posted 02-02-03 03:09 PM CT (US)     1 / 9  
Fast, of course. People get frustrated when tasking their units in normal speed. Normal is only good for random map/death match games, IMHO.

posted 02-02-03 03:16 PM CT (US)     2 / 9  
If you have a lot of music/sound it might be a good idea to go with "Normal" so the timing doesn't get messed up.

No. Bad Jarl. Bad Bad Jarl. NO Penis ASCII.
-Andy.
posted 02-02-03 03:37 PM CT (US)     3 / 9  
If it's single player scn/cpn, use normal. In multiplayer, use fast.

CRYSTALCROWN

Play OnlineBecause you really can't gloat about beating the computer.
Learn the FlushSo you don't lose every game in under 20 minutes.

It's not a post count; it's making your posts count.
posted 02-02-03 03:42 PM CT (US)     4 / 9  

Quote:

If you have a lot of music/sound it might be a good idea to go with "Normal" so the timing doesn't get messed up.

You can convert the time to adjust it to fast speed.

Quote:

If it's single player scn/cpn, use normal. In multiplayer, use fast.

I prefer fast in both.

posted 02-02-03 04:22 PM CT (US)     5 / 9  
For music, use fast, even if it means you have to convert the times. If you use normal, the player can switch it to fast and then you get overlapping sounds, which is worse than delayed sound effects, and you get delayed sound effects if you play in a slower speed than the supposed speed. When you use fast to base your sounds, the player cannot go any more faster than fast, therefore eliminating overlapped sounds, and not many player plays in slow, and normal's sound delay isn't too bad, so fast is the way to go.

I believe more player enjoy fast-speed scenarios anyway.

hello all
posted 02-03-03 08:06 AM CT (US)     6 / 9  
Seems like most people prefer fast, and it's probably the best.

I played RotDF yesterday where you're supposed to be playing it on normal speed, but I found myself stuck on fast speed more than one time... Walking units a very long distance takes too long time.

But maybe it's all relative... Let's say you've got a map in tiny size, where your only walkable unit is a mayan Plumed Archer, wouldn't it be more satisfying if everything didn't happen too fast?

posted 02-03-03 08:14 AM CT (US)     7 / 9  
Normal. It is a basic speed, and allows the player to enjoy the game more. My opinion, of course. It all depends on what you prefer.
posted 02-03-03 08:17 AM CT (US)     8 / 9  
Okay, but if I was to decide for normal speed, would you care to follow it?

[This message has been edited by Ark (edited 02-03-2003 @ 08:17 AM).]

posted 02-03-03 08:37 AM CT (US)     9 / 9  
Logically it should be normal speed.

The logic lies in the meaning of the word normal.

Of course I play many easy games on fast speed, but take a well balanced campaign like Ulio as an example. I played normal speed most of the time, but had to switch to slow to destroy the castle and docks on hard difficulty.

In other words if you advice the player to play fast for the music, your message is: "I submitted an easy scenario."

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » What speed should I adjust my scenario to?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames