Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Random Tips to Improving Your Campaign/Scenario
posted 04-25-03 00:31 AM CT (US)   
Here's a list to all beginning scenario designers. Many of these tips may seem small, but some of them get quite annoying. If anyone has anything to add, I'm willing to edit the topic. I will also add stuff myself from time to time.

1. Always check your scenario for typos. If you can't spell well or don't have good grammar, copy/paste all your chat messages into Microsoft Word or a similar program and run it through the spell checker.

2. You almost never want to use the Send Chat trigger. Only use it in specialized cases, such as when you want only one person to see the message (multiplayer), or if you want a small message to appear. A perfect example of the latter is found in Luke Gevaerts Against Thee, Wickedly - Teaser.

3. Please, if you are making a campaign file (.cpn or .cpx), DO NOT include the scenario bitmap image in the Zip file. When you make a campaign, all AI files and bitmap images are automatically saved along with it, meaning including it is worthless... it will appear anyway. Ever wonder why Ingo Van Thiel just included his campaign file, nothing else, yet the bitmap screen showed? Ohhhh... It's starting to make sense, isn't it? Adding the extra file just increases download time for us 56Kers.

4. Before submitting your file to the Blacksmith, ALWAYS check for bugs. Sometimes one (or two, or three...) will get past you, but you should not have anything obvious getting through. Always be sure to check for accidental paths through forests, et al., that might allow the player to skip a vital part of the scenario.

5. Allow ample time for the player to read the messages. Use different positions for the chat, as well as considering a point/chat interface to allow the player to read at his/her own pace. There is a timer setting for the Display Instructions trigger. If you set it to 0, it will remain forever unless another overwrites it or it is cleared with the Clear Instructions trigger.

6. In multiplayer eye candy may lag the map badly, but in single player, it is always nice to have pleasant scenery. Spread flowers and other GAIA objects liberally, and don't forget to change elevation around.

7. If you are making a town, be creative. Straight Road with a few buildings will not give you a 5 for Map Design. Instead, put some broken road in, add a bunch of trees, flowers, and dirt, and use the map copy feature to good use to create new and interesting buildings. If it's a poorer town, don't even consider roads. Put more dead trees in, and put Dark/Feudal Age buildings rather than Castle/Imperial Age buildings.

8. Make your paths interesting. It's no fun to see a path of trees guiding you around a Grass 1 map. If this is the case, you should move to a smaller map and use all of it. The most annoying part is that you might have a small break in the trees allowing the player to move out into complete Grass 1. Technically, this could lower your overall Map Design rating, because it can be seen by the player without cheating.

9. Don't allow a scouting computer unit to walk in and disrupt your cutscenes. Use the Immobile Units AI GOLD, by Zanthard Lothar, if you have to.

10. Remove old map revealers from past cutscenes, or change them to an enemy player's possession if for some reason you need to use them later (edited at request of Darkmaster).

11. If any part of your scenario has a place where the hero "moves" to another point on the map (entering shops, etc.), it is a nice touch to give that new unit any upgrades/armor the player might have found on his journey.

12. Always have the player lose if a main character dies, unless of course him/her dying is part of the story. You don't want a unit being "resurrected" later in the game (unless of course it's part of the storyline ).

13. Please remember to make your scenarios challenging. Battles should take some strategy, and unless you have different difficulty levels, the player should not have a large multitude of units after a major battle, unless those units will accompany the hero on a later journey.

14. A good storyline is the start of a good scenario. Allow for multiple objectives, and use more creavity than "Destroy the Enemy."

zyxomma100- Age of Kings Heaven forumer
Proudly thwarting Dark_Aro's evil plans since 2002
"There is nothing more sad than watching a teutonic knight chasing a petard."

[This message has been edited by zyxomma100 (edited 04-26-2003 @ 11:52 AM).]

Replies:
posted 04-25-03 01:14 AM CT (US)     1 / 11  

Quote:

2. You almost never want to use the Send Chat trigger. Only use it in specialized cases, such as when you want only one person to see the message (multiplayer), or if you want a small message to appear. A perfect example of the latter is found in Luke Gevaerts Against Thee, Wickedly - Teaser.

Precisely. The "Send Chat" effect should be used to emphasize an event that occurs. For example, if you use triggers to create an arming/disarming system, the send chat effect should be used to tell you if something is armed or disarmed. It should mostly not be used as dialogue, since it ruins the effect.

Quote:

3. Please, if you are making a campaign file (.cpn or .cpx), DO NOT include the scenario bitmap image in the Zip file. When you make a campaign, all AI files and bitmap images are automatically saved along with it, meaning including it is worthless... it will appear anyway. Ever wonder why Ingo Van Thiel just included his campaign file, nothing else, yet the bitmap screen showed? Ohhhh... It's starting to make sense, isn't it? Adding the extra file just increases download time for us 56Kers.

Doesn't that only work for TC?

Quote:

4. Before submitting your file to the Blacksmith, ALWAYS check for bugs. Sometimes one (or two, or three...) will get past you, but you should not have anything obvious getting through. Always be sure to check for accidental paths through forests, et al., that might allow the player to skip a vital part of the scenario.

In other words, play test or have others play test the scenario/campaign before releasing it.

Quote:

5. Allow ample time for the player to read the messages. Use different positions for the chat, as well as considering a point/chat interface to allow the player to read at his/her own pace. There is a timer setting for the Display Instructions trigger. If you set it to 0, it will remain forever unless another overwrites it or it is cleared with the Clear Instructions trigger.

The only exception should be when something fast-paced is happening. For example, if something is being chased and there are more than one dialogues, the whole chase effect is ruined if the player just sits there, stuck reading the first piece, not realizing that the chase is over, while the next "Display Instructions" effect would've been more effective during the chase.

Quote:

6. In multiplayer, it may not be as important, but it is always nice to have pleasant scenery. Spread flowers and other GAIA objects liberally, and don't forget to change elevation around.

It is better if you do so, but don't over do it. Serious lagging can cause your map to not be so famous for most people.

Quote:

7. If you are making a town, be creative. Straight Road with a few buildings will not give you a 5 for Map Design. Instead, put some broken road in, add a bunch of trees, flowers, and dirt, and use the map copy feature to good use to create new and interesting buildings. If it's a poorer town, don't even consider roads. Put more dead trees in, and put Dark/Feudal Age buildings rather than Castle/Imperial Age buildings.

How about "Road, fungus"? Also, if it is a poorer town, use grass two/three and yurts, along with Feudal/Dark Age buildings.

Quote:

8. Make your paths interesting. It's no fun to see a path of trees guiding you around a Grass 1 map. If this is the case, you should move to a smaller map and use all of it. The most annoying part is that you might have a small break in the trees allowing the player to move out into complete Grass 1. Technically, this could lower your overall Map Design rating, because it can be seen by the player without cheating.

Also, there should be a limit to how long the player is supposed to stick to a straight path. Make the surrounding forest more interactive and accessible, rather than just using the forest as an outline to the path all the time.

Quote:

10. Remove old map revealers from past cutscenes.

Or, change their ownership to an enemy player, in case you wish to use them later.

posted 04-25-03 05:41 AM CT (US)     2 / 11  

Quoted from zyxomma:

Ever wonder why Ingo Van Thiel just included his campaign file, nothing else, yet the bitmap screen showed?

Quoted from DM:

Doesn't that only work for TC?

Both for AoK and TC.

posted 04-26-03 12:00 PM CT (US)     3 / 11  
Hmmm... I was expecting a little bit more feedback... Small update.

zyxomma100- Age of Kings Heaven forumer
Proudly thwarting Dark_Aro's evil plans since 2002
"There is nothing more sad than watching a teutonic knight chasing a petard."
posted 04-26-03 12:30 PM CT (US)     4 / 11  
Attention -sick, are we zyx?

I liked the post. It's a good idea to change the map revealers than removing them.

I used to have problems with map design. Now I have no problems at all, but I can't seem to create ANY good objectives/stories! How can I re-fire my imagination?

"Especially awe-inspiring is the fact that any single brain is made up of atoms that were forged in the hearts of countless stars billions of years ago... These atoms now form a conglomerate – your brain – that can not only ponder the very stars that gave it birth but can also think about its own ability to think and wonder about its own ability to wonder. With the arrival of humans…the universe has suddenly become conscious of itself. This, truly, is the greatest mystery of all." - Rama
posted 04-26-03 12:35 PM CT (US)     5 / 11  

Quote:

How can I re-fire my imagination?

watch the history channal. (works for me)

posted 04-26-03 01:50 PM CT (US)     6 / 11  
I can only watch it during summer, when I'm in Turkey. =/

"Especially awe-inspiring is the fact that any single brain is made up of atoms that were forged in the hearts of countless stars billions of years ago... These atoms now form a conglomerate – your brain – that can not only ponder the very stars that gave it birth but can also think about its own ability to think and wonder about its own ability to wonder. With the arrival of humans…the universe has suddenly become conscious of itself. This, truly, is the greatest mystery of all." - Rama
posted 04-26-03 02:01 PM CT (US)     7 / 11  
A random tip I have is that you should always have a plan before you start (otherwise it gains altitude and then... just kind of falls), and don't be afraid to change the storyline if you have a better idea.

Cobra the Mediocre
SteadilY working up to Average
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
(Age of Kings Heaven) (The Renegades)
posted 04-26-03 02:04 PM CT (US)     8 / 11  
i hate elevation so i never add it
and i nevre put flowers

"Nothing is ever stolen, it's only permanantly borrowed."-Me

"All who surrender will be spared; whoever does not surrender but opposed with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."-Genghis Khan

More Genghis Khan quotes here.

posted 04-26-03 02:11 PM CT (US)     9 / 11  
Surge i have a good story if you want it.

I started to make it as a campign and got to wicked maps but the gameplay of the two wernt that gud (triggers etc) and i got sidetracked by playing and a blood map. This is the story, its a good read.
Its an Aztec or Mayan Campaign

Obsidian Snake lay in his bed one night, he turned his head and saw his father, Speaking Eagle, walk into his room. Then he asked the question that had been running through his mind all day when working in the fields. His father smiled, he loved telling stories of the past. He sat down next to where Obsidian Snake lay and started the story.

“The first world the gods created was inhabited by giant humans, and when life was destroyed by floods, it was 4,008 years old, only two humans survived, Nene and Tata, they survived by climbing a tree. The dead all turned into fish.

Nene and Tata started the human race again, but this time, after 4,010 years, life was destroyed by great winds and blew out the sun. It blew so hard humans had to cling onto trees with hands and feet, and even grew tails. They all turned into monkeys, but two humans survived by standing on a rock. They started the human race again.

This time, after 4,081 years, the earth was rampaged by a great fire, but some humans survived and started the fourth age. This age ended when there was rain of blood and fire. Nothing could grow and the humans starved.

This brought us onto the fifth age, the one where humans advanced the most. The Aztec gods all sacrificed themselves to create the sun, the moon and stars. Then, some humans left what the gods had created, and moved to lands to the east. These humans started to worship new gods, and with the worship of humans these new gods where created. These gods made their worships advance to an uncontrollable level. They had weapons of devistating effects. Then, when the day that the life would be restarted was close, the Aztec god’s descended from the sky and met in the rainforest. The humans asked why there was no moon or stars that night, if they knew what was going to happen maybe they would had lived different. The Aztec gods came together as different animals and tried to decided whether or not to let the destruction go ahead. They asked if these humans deserved to carry on. They sent Yacatecuhtli, the god of merchant adventurers, to scout the world for reasons for and against. But he quickly returned, he had only gone 3 miles and found men cutting down the rainforest. This was the deciding factor. The Aztec gods decided, and on 22 December 2012, earthquakes hit the earth and all human life was wiped out. All the cities these men had created crumbled to dust, all technology failed, burnt out and became no more. The earth was back to its normal state. Then Quetzalcoatl made another journey to the land of the dead and picked up the bones of great warriors and beautiful women. He gave them his blood and created new humans.

The other non-Aztec gods where unhappy that there followers had been killed and their hard work destroyed. The Aztec gods and the other gods came to a compromise. Each god could have their own race of man on earth if they where willing to give their life and use their blood and bones to make them. Some of the god’s agreed and they where killed and their men descended upon earth and took some land. The god’s who did not agree to this compromise were killed and their blood and bones was made into new animals that where left to live tormented lives.

Now generations later we are here, fighting the men of other gods for the lands of our earth.”

Speaking Eagle finished his tale with a sigh; his son was asleep, dreaming of the warriors who would be out there fighting for their people.

Nice Guys Finish Last
I wanna be the Minority

I am soon to lose the greatest thing i never had :'(

posted 04-26-03 02:17 PM CT (US)     10 / 11  
Elevation is the key to making a map more exciting. Flowers are often good for forests, and maps can look bare without them.
posted 04-26-03 03:34 PM CT (US)     11 / 11  
Josh's Tips

1. Always have a general design and purpose for your map in the scenario before you start making the scenario. If you don't, you could end up with some of the problems listed below:
- Wanting to add something, but not having any room to add it.
- Using to small of a map, then trying to copy and paste what you currently have onto a large map, and realizing that that is nearly impossible.
- being able to see important parts of a map, before you are supposed to.

2. Always remember, no matter how much you may just want to get your story across, a map can make or break any story, no matter how good it is. Always be willing to spend hours and hours on end perfecting your map, until you are completely satisfied. It really gives a good first impression to your scenario, so that when people realize how bad the storyline sucks, they might not remember, because the map is so awesome.

3. Test and test and test your triggers over and over, then get other people to test them to. Triggering can be very intricate work, and sometimes, one flawed trigger can stop the progress of your entire game.

4. Always name your triggers. It makes it easier to identify them. It also makes it easier to identify your flaws. And, if you build a truly great scenario, it lets other people look at your triggers so they can imitate them (I always look at the triggering to good scenarios, its what makes me get better).

INDEPENDENT DESIGNER2 ------------>
VISIONS OF THE PAST : CHAPTER 1 l __________________________
Visions of the Past is the story of a land in turmoil. Its gameplay focuses around many different characters
who all play parts in a larger tale. It took me about ten months to complete, with a 1 month break in which I
was rather burnt out, and I think it will fit almost anyone's style of play. Download it now!
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Random Tips to Improving Your Campaign/Scenario
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames