Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Effects of Lag on Scenarios
posted 06-11-03 03:04 AM CT (US)   
I have played many scenarios, and I have seen some strange things happen. Lag seems to have a large part in these happenings, because I might have a unit formation walking at a few frames per second, and suddenly one of them ends up on water or something. I have had many of these bugs occur, and just today I experienced the 0 LOS bug (sorry, wasn't thinking, didnt get screenies). For example:

(Please note that you need to drag and drop the links into your address bar.)

Meh. I was bored one day and played Spider Blood against the computer. There were a few hundred units on the map, and the AI was making it lag due to its constant Attack Now commands toward me. Note the pyramid fire.
www.geocities.com/bizubs@prodigy.net/AOK072.GIF

Again... a game against the computer. I had enough kills to reward me with an extra castle... See what happened.
www.geocities.com/bizubs@prodigy.net/AOK082.GIF

The example above. Lag was eating away at this game, and one of the Tarkans of my ally's formation walked out into the middle of the water.
www.geocities.com/bizubs@prodigy.net/AOK098.GIF

The one that interests me. This is a villager that's building on the foundation it's standing on. And yes, that is Darkmaster and CrystalCrown. They'll give a testimony for me.
www.geocities.com/bizubs@prodigy.net/AOK106.GIF

Boring. A flag that's not in the right place. I'm not even sure if it was just a glitch in the game for a few seconds.
www.geocities.com/bizubs@prodigy.net/AOK111.GIF

You may be wondering, "What does this have to do with anything?"

Well think about what could happen if we can duplicate these tricks in other conditions. A villager building on a foundation? Units that can move onto deep water? I'm most likely overhyping this, but I want to know what you guys think.

zyxomma100- Age of Kings Heaven forumer
Proudly thwarting Dark_Aro's evil plans since 2002
"There is nothing more sad than watching a teutonic knight chasing a petard."
Replies:
posted 06-11-03 03:07 AM CT (US)     1 / 13  
I don't think these can be duplicated.

They're just random glitches...

posted 06-11-03 03:18 AM CT (US)     2 / 13  
I've seen many of my scouts die a horrible death while stuck off the edge of a cliff in Graves Blood.

© AOC_DAVE TONTO_DAVE » Sig Version 4.0
Current Projects: "Bouren" Campaign %: |19%
»»»Download the current Bouren Alpha (v1)«««
»» - »» - »» - »» :: Age of Kings Heaven
Tonto Clan (Member)
:: «« - «« - «« - ««
posted 06-11-03 03:22 AM CT (US)     3 / 13  
Nice shots...

...The Pyramid is being attacked and damaged. Not sure if you can damage the building with triggers because I never tried. The fire, flags, and snow, is the damage animation for it.

The units appearing to be climbing the Castle is also a normal phenomenon if you will, and can occur with other buildings too.

It looks good when the unit is a villager or militia is up on the sides of buildings because it appears as if they are repairing it.

Yes, exploiting bugs and glitches in the editor is a basic approach to creating tricks.

posted 06-11-03 10:35 AM CT (US)     4 / 13  
Nice shots...

No. Bad Jarl. Bad Bad Jarl. NO Penis ASCII.
-Andy.
posted 06-11-03 11:51 AM CT (US)     5 / 13  
The strangest glitch occurred in a game of Graves Blood. CrystalCrown, BrandNewCar, and I were playing (needless to say, we were winning), then all of a sudden, a cyan (or was it yellow?) player's cavalier FLOATED across the screen!

It floated over cliffs, walls, water...all the way until it reached the area where the booting tents are located. Then, it stopped for a moment, but then continued until it reached the extreme south of the map (where gold mines are located) and it STAYED there. The cavalier stayed in its idle animation throughout.

Too bad I didn't capture a screenshot, when this strange phenomenon occurred.

posted 06-11-03 03:11 PM CT (US)     6 / 13  
The glitch that I've seen the most is when a part of a cliff disappears (as well as the boundary) from the game. I believe this is due to the fact that dead units piled up on the cliff (when units are killed on a cliff i.e. buildings, trees, etc., that tile of the cliff no longer retains its boundary). This can be especially frustrating in multiplayer scenarios where the cliff serves a great purpose as a defensive structure.

EDIT: I know for a fact that the second screenie can be easily duplicated (units on castles). Simply fully garrison a castle and block at least 3 of the sides, and ungarrison. Voila! As for the villager building on the foundation/building, remember DM's edit of Grave Blood?

CRYSTALCROWN

Play OnlineBecause you really can't gloat about beating the computer.
Learn the FlushSo you don't lose every game in under 20 minutes.

It's not a post count; it's making your posts count.

[This message has been edited by CrystalCrown (edited 06-11-2003 @ 03:24 PM).]

posted 06-11-03 03:23 PM CT (US)     7 / 13  
I remember the first time I encountered disappearing cliff glitches. It happened in a game of Helm's Deep. It happened on the worst possible cliff too. The one with the castle on it. A bunch of our archers disappeared with it.

BLITZBALL!
Fooly Cooly
Current Projects: Final Fantasy I .4%
Look out for recruiting of future Final Fantasy games by me
posted 06-11-03 04:38 PM CT (US)     8 / 13  
The glitch that happens to me the most is where a Galleon sails onto land, and sits there, unmovable. It will never turn or move unless attacking someone (it shoots without any problems).
At first I thought it happened when I changed the formation in a narrow stream, and a ship accidently went onto land when taking its place. But I have recently converted an enemy ship that was stuck the same way.

Also once I had a big battle between my Heavy Cavalry Archers and Knights and my enemy's Cataphracts, and when the Cataphracts started fleeing, one of them rode "backwards" for about two seconds. The animation of ride to the right was used in a ride to the left.

[ Your quote could be here! ]*

* Contact information included separately

posted 06-11-03 04:44 PM CT (US)     9 / 13  

Quote:

The glitch that happens to me the most is where a Galleon sails onto land, and sits there, unmovable. It will never turn or move unless attacking someone (it shoots without any problems).

That's happened to me before.

No. Bad Jarl. Bad Bad Jarl. NO Penis ASCII.
-Andy.
posted 06-11-03 09:22 PM CT (US)     10 / 13  

Quote:

I know for a fact that the second screenie can be easily duplicated (units on castles). Simply fully garrison a castle and block at least 3 of the sides, and ungarrison. Voila!

Never thought of that. That glitch simply used a create object effect. Remember the Dough RPG (I was the buildings )? I created a bunch of scouts at the same time, and they were put on top of the stable.

Quote:

As for the villager building on the foundation/building, remember DM's edit of Grave Blood?

Repairing is different from building. A builder on top of the foundation is continouslly tasked off the foundation; a builder isn't.

posted 06-11-03 11:44 PM CT (US)     11 / 13  

Quote:

Voila! As for the villager building on the foundation/building, remember DM's edit of Grave Blood?

The villager can be easily pasted/ungarrisoned onto a building, but foundations are not available as structures in the map editor. That bug can only be reproduced through lag.

And, yes. I remember DM's edit of Grave Blood.

posted 06-11-03 11:49 PM CT (US)     12 / 13  

Quote:

And, yes. I remember DM's edit of Grave Blood

Gee, I wonder why...

On a side note, how many screenshots have you taken? I have about 150 screenshots, which explains all the pictures I can post.

posted 06-12-03 04:32 AM CT (US)     13 / 13  
I have had all 999 AoC screenshots there for over a month now... I also have 700 AoK screenshots. I delete them all every now and then to use them up again with worthless pictures - I take about 60 or so pictures per games. Once I took 400 in one game of graves blood.

I'm a maniac, I know.

© AOC_DAVE TONTO_DAVE » Sig Version 4.0
Current Projects: "Bouren" Campaign %: |19%
»»»Download the current Bouren Alpha (v1)«««
»» - »» - »» - »» :: Age of Kings Heaven
Tonto Clan (Member)
:: «« - «« - «« - ««
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The Effects of Lag on Scenarios
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames