Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Creating a storyline: A useful guide for scenario designers
posted 06-18-03 04:36 PM CT (US)   
This is an exclusive guide to making a storyline to a campaign or scenario. A campaign (or scenario) requires a storyline, the most essential element. No matter how good the triggers, or how stunning the map design, the campaign will not be fun to play if the person if going in circles around colossal plot holes and has no idea what's going on. I have played some campaigns with appalling plots and have concluded that even with mediocre design, the campaign was a flop. Few things scare people more than TV weatherman Al Roker, but bad storylines are one of the few. This is a guide, it's free, and take the time to think about this while you're in your room, or library, of wherever you're reading this: "wow, this guide could really help me on my next project!"
Now, down to the nitty-gritty: first, decide if this is historical, fiction, or a mix of the both (can you believe it's called historical fiction?!?! Wow!). Fiction is harder than history, because obviously, the story is already made up for you! But if you want to really take it to high gear, we use the rocky road: fiction.

Fiction: I smell a Newberry

Fiction is make-believe, but it's harder than you think. A fictional story needs three things: An exposition, a plot (with rising action and climax), and a resolution (remember English class?).
Exposition: this thing is when and where your story takes place, and introduction of main characters. You should brainstorm what you want it to be. Sometimes an idea just pops into you like that: a dream, a sudden idea when showering, while snoozing in math, whatever. Bingo, that's the beginning. The beginning is the hardest part; from then on it's smooth riding. Usually, you think of an exposition. One day: "Hmm... I know! A game where there's this guy and they travel across the land to...hmm...report to the king! Yeah! And there are bandits, and several ways to go, and different stuff happen depending on what you do! Maybe a puzzle midway? And betrayal, I need that! HMM...TWO PEOPLE! And elaborate triggers!" thus begins Ingo's classic, The Quest?(I think). Did you see how he started brain storming and got a base of an idea? Then, like magic, the ideas came like lightning, he thought of some triggers, the plot, and interesting gloze. You can use a prologue or something to express this.

Plot: Easy once you get the beginning. You really don’t get rising action in Aok, but you need to have an interesting story to attract people to play. Like in “The Quest,?to create suspense, try to twist the plot, or have interchanging patterns or split you scenarios to follow multiple characters or events. Have traitors, surprises, and monkeys popping out of camels and attacking your sheep, whatever you can think of. I’m not going to tell you how to do that crazy stuff here, look in all the other posts for that. Conclusion: Just get cool stuff to happen, this is the meat and potatoes of your campaign; this should be the middle of the campaign, the scenarios.

Conclusion:
The End. This wraps up a story. End of your campaign. Make it a cliffhanger to make others want a sequel, a happy ending, sad ending, an ending where the hero rides into the sunset *tears, or an ending with monkeys, you decide.

Sequels:
I love sequels. Many people make a trilogy, or plan to make a sequel. Some just do a sequel for the fun of it. Other people have monkeys. The storyline is already made, so start off form where you left! Sequels are very fun to make and play, too. Think of the new movies coming out this summer, "X-2: United,"2Fast 2Furious,"Terminator 3, Rise of Machines, "Matrix Reloaded," and others. You know the characters, the point of the movie or maybe whats going to happen because you've seen the previous ones, but you really want to see it! See, sequels are fun! You can start where you left off, say a cliffhanger, or have the same characters do other stuff (like in "The King's Best Men" or introduce other characters but make similarities (Like in 2Fast 2Furious).

Historical: What is this, the Discovery Channel?!?

History: I usually love history, but hey, I don't count, I teach it. History is a little more interesting than fiction because the story is already there. No matter how much you know, you need to do more research and sometimes just got to make things up!

History is like fiction. Except it takes away the hardest part: stories. Sure, you need to make things up all right, but see; a good history lesson while playing Aok is always appreciated. I just wish I could teach those stupid 7th graders using Aok. Lets take Mark Stoker's "Tamerlane, Prince of Destruction" Note how clever he was in making that. The Kitkabite and Minimoto thing was garbage though, but look, wasn't it fun (-ny?). Where would that be without those two guys, huh? It's like Diet Coke; you know something's missing (hmm...like taste?). So you see? Making a history campaign is like being a reporter: you need to make things up. And don't forget to do research!

Edited and replaced at author's request -Aro
ohh!! I edited Aro's message (removed the period)! I feel so powerful! Take that, big guy! -kevingamer

Praise

Quoted from The Dark Wind:

Very nice. This could help out many newbs in their campaigns

Quoted from talos_911:

This is an excellent guide you have written here...

Quoted from PaulC2001:

Nice thread!
Very useful.

Quoted from Whitewolf:

Reading this will teach you the better way to organize a story that you came up with

¯\/\\evo'_____________________________________
¯¯//¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
"i get more IM's from AOL System Message than from everyone else"-Anonymous

[This message has been edited by kevingamer _AcX_ (edited 06-21-2003 @ 06:15 PM).]

Replies:
posted 06-18-03 05:15 PM CT (US)     1 / 23  
Very nice. This could help out many newbs in their campaigns. This is very helpful, but remember, it's just a guideline, people. It's not the only way to make a story plot (but it's a good way.) But tell me, someone, is it just me, or is the typing all messed up? I keep seeing a bunch of i's placed in incorect areas. It's strange...

Quote:

I just wish I could teach those stupid 7th graders using Aok.

Are you calling me stupid?!

posted 06-18-03 05:17 PM CT (US)     2 / 23  
Not for me

Quote:

Who you calling stupid?

my 7th graders

[This message has been edited by kevingamer _AcX_ (edited 06-18-2003 @ 05:20 PM).]

posted 06-18-03 05:24 PM CT (US)     3 / 23  
there's loads of funny symbols throughout your text kevin

I wish they would teach medieval history at my (old) school using AoK:TC

"Blasted Paradoxes!, They get absoloutely everywhere!" - Danthered
Current Project:None
Proud Member of DGDN
Faded Glory LARP
Completed Projects: Dark Happenings
posted 06-18-03 05:44 PM CT (US)     4 / 23  
Is it better now?

(I did this in MS word so I could spellcheck)

posted 06-18-03 08:39 PM CT (US)     5 / 23  
LoL. You don't have to have perfect grammer. Just make sure your post are readable.

http://www.romnation.net/battle/play.php?uid=1009
You have NO idea how much this would help me.
Registering is optional, you don't even have to click on the link.
posted 06-18-03 09:36 PM CT (US)     6 / 23  
post are readable?

Sorry, I'm just trying to improve my grammar.

p.s. can anyone say something good about the guide? was it funny? Are the funky symbols gone?

[This message has been edited by kevingamer _AcX_ (edited 06-18-2003 @ 09:38 PM).]

posted 06-18-03 10:03 PM CT (US)     7 / 23  
Nope, the symbols are still there...

CRYSTALCROWN

Play OnlineBecause you really can't gloat about beating the computer.
Learn the FlushSo you don't lose every game in under 20 minutes.

It's not a post count; it's making your posts count.
posted 06-19-03 07:50 AM CT (US)     8 / 23  
Hi kevingamer _AcX_
This is an excellent guide you have written here...It is true that the story is the most neglected part of map-making...I usually hang out at Stronghold Heaven and in SHH, the story gets a rating out of 5 which counts towards the overall score a map gets (dunno if it is the same here too). So this guide would be very helpful to my fellow Strongholders...

I was wondering if you would allow me to start a subject like this in the scenario design forum at SHH and link this thread ?

we would appreciate it.

-Talos

posted 06-19-03 10:20 AM CT (US)     9 / 23  
Fine, knock your self out, talos.

(give me credit)

p.s. what about now?
If not, I need Aro or CC to do me a favor: give me your email, I will send you a copy of the document. All you have to do is edit, cut, and paste.

[This message has been edited by kevingamer _AcX_ (edited 06-19-2003 @ 10:25 AM).]

posted 06-19-03 10:53 AM CT (US)     10 / 23  
Nice thread!

Very useful.

posted 06-19-03 03:53 PM CT (US)     11 / 23  
Nope

Still got funny symbols in it

"Blasted Paradoxes!, They get absoloutely everywhere!" - Danthered
Current Project:None
Proud Member of DGDN
Faded Glory LARP
Completed Projects: Dark Happenings
posted 06-19-03 10:15 PM CT (US)     12 / 23  
now, don't you hate it when that happens?

posted 06-19-03 10:55 PM CT (US)     13 / 23  
Pasted it from the word document you sent.

Angel Aro
Age of Kings Heaven Angel | Empires Heaven Angel
Events:
posted 06-20-03 04:25 PM CT (US)     14 / 23  
Thank you Aro.

Ahh! Now I can see the funny symbols. Corrected.

posted 06-20-03 05:50 PM CT (US)     15 / 23  
This guide isn't all that useful. Reading this won't make you a better story writer. This is all common sense. It depends on your creativity.
posted 06-20-03 07:20 PM CT (US)     16 / 23  
Reading this will teach you the better way to organize a story that you came up with. Of course it can not improve your imagination or creativity.

[ Your quote could be here! ]*

* Contact information included separately

posted 06-21-03 01:20 PM CT (US)     17 / 23  
Kevingamer : I have made a similar thread at SHH with this guide in it...I have ofcourse given you due credit .

Check it out here to make sure everything is done to your satisfaction. If something is out of place, let me know ASAP by mail.

Thanks once agian for letting me post this at SHH

-Talos_911

posted 06-21-03 06:13 PM CT (US)     18 / 23  
Your welcome

(comon, you could have done more than just copy/paste )

posted 06-22-03 01:02 AM CT (US)     19 / 23  
Thanks kevingamer Read this in SHH and zipped over to say thank you. Lady A
Maybe now we will not get so many newbie questions, but then again maybe not

«..»º©º«..»º©º«..»«..»º©º«..»º©º«..»«..»º©º«..»º©º«..»
Seraph Lady Arcola
"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." -Walter Winchell

~ BFME2 Heaven | Stronghold Heaven | Stronghold 2 Heaven~
«..»º©º«..»º©º«..»«..»º©º«..»º©º«..»«..»º©º«..»º©º«..»
posted 06-22-03 04:02 PM CT (US)     20 / 23  

Quote:

This guide isn't all that useful. Reading this won't make you a better story writer. This is all common sense. It depends on your creativity.

I agree with Bon. This isn’t really a guide to make a storyline. Just to organize it.

I recommend this site if you want a plot for your project. Or Philips plot thread.

posted 06-22-03 04:02 PM CT (US)     21 / 23  
heh heh....

[This message has been edited by kevingamer _AcX_ (edited 06-22-2003 @ 04:02 PM).]

posted 06-23-03 03:09 AM CT (US)     22 / 23  

Quote:

(comon, you could have done more than just copy/paste )

Kev : I made changes to the guide at SHH to make it relevant to SH. Check it out...I hope you won't mind

Thanks for the suggestion.

-Talos

posted 06-23-03 09:53 AM CT (US)     23 / 23  
It's good to see that you have an effort to help the others, kevin. Maybe add something else for your guide? Like timeline and such, or maybe your character's connection with some famous heroes, like Richard the Lionhearted; and your character will be his secret agent..

=====MarshalVader=====
Darkness? Yes.
My Recommendations

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Creating a storyline: A useful guide for scenario designers
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames