Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Some scenario ideas...
posted 08-15-03 03:24 PM CT (US)   
Some ideas…

I got three ideas for rpg/rps scenarios, but I probably won’t have the time to make them myself as I have to work on my project, so I share them with you and hope that someone out there will make them. The ideas are pretty advanced (well, I think so) and might be a little hard to make for new designers.

Time travel
Divide the map in two equal sections. Design one of them and copy all of it to the other section. One of the sections will be the present and the other will be the past. To travel in time you can use a “time gate”. Place a gate, and when the hero steps through he will be sent back in time to a time gate in the past. Of course, the past should not look exactly like the present part of the map. Forests may not look exactly the same and houses and bridges may not yet have been built. Maybe the hero could help to build a bridge somewhere, or maybe he kills the men building the bridge and it will never be built. And that means there will be no bridge in the present part of the map. Same thing goes for humans, kill someone in the past and someone else will be removed in the present day. I don’t know what the story could be, only that the hero must travel back and forth in time.

Reincarnation
When the initial main character dies he will be reborn as someone else. Depending on what he did in his first life. If he does something good in the first life he may get a better life the next time and if he does something bad, his next life will be worse. This could go on for a long time, depending on the actions of the player. The goal could be to stop being reborn all the time and reach heaven, nirvana or maybe hell.

Evil shall reign
You play as the bad guy. And not some lousy thief, no, you are The Dark Lord of death and destruction. Your goal is to conquer the world… or destroy it, whichever you prefer. You have to figure out some plan to do this. Maybe raise an army of the dead, build a doomsday device, create a magical ring of great power, spread a plague that turns humans into mindless zombies under your command or capture some powerful magical artifact, or all of this. Of course, some stupid hero will hear of this and try to stop your evil plans. So just send your minions against him, oops didn’t work, well, then try to set up a trap for him, maybe take his family as hostage. Or flee to your secret hideout, where you can finish your dark scheme…

What do you think, have any ideas of your own?

[This message has been edited by Cespenar (edited 08-15-2003 @ 03:25 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-15-03 03:49 PM CT (US)     1 / 9  
I was planning a scenario were you play a young apprentice wizard and help his dark rise to power. I never really started on it, though.

The reincarnation one is quite a good idea, but the designer should make it difficult to avoid evil deeds, or maybe make them more profitable than the good deeds. That way it would be harder to get to heaven.

posted 08-15-03 04:38 PM CT (US)     2 / 9  
Great ideas!
The reicarnation reminds of "Hell's Oyssey", created by Renegade Warrior, but never finished. I made a version of my own about it, but I think it went too exagerated...

I liked more the idea of the time travel. But I have a few changes on it: you can create a map (RPGs would be better for this) where a person from nowadays gets somehow teleported to the medieval days, and must get out of there. Of course there'll be some nice adventures...

posted 08-15-03 05:16 PM CT (US)     3 / 9  
Timeline
posted 08-15-03 05:32 PM CT (US)     4 / 9  
For time travel, are you going to split the map in half?

When you pass through the time gate, you could probably add a bubbly sound. (.wav or .mp3) Now that would be awesome.

posted 08-15-03 06:12 PM CT (US)     5 / 9  
For the time traval the present day would be a prospering, large, beautiful city and then the hero goes into the future and sees dead bodies and ruins. Then he must travel back and warn everyone and prevent the future from happening. lame idea but never done in an RPG that i know of.

"The most important thing to do in your life, is to not interfere with somebody else's life." - Zappa
posted 08-15-03 06:15 PM CT (US)     6 / 9  
Chrono Trigger

But that was Eras and what you did in the past effects what happened in the future.

posted 08-16-03 03:59 PM CT (US)     7 / 9  
Hmm... I started a time-travel scenario a while back, and I think I'll resurrect it. It involves you exploring a peninsula and finding a gate in some ruins that transports you back in time, but you can go back and forth freely. You can also attack anyone you want, but they'll attack back. You have to solve the problems by, say, going back in time to kill someone before they get a better weapon (kill an archer before he buys a crossbow and makes it impossible for you to defeat him), or by changing the past so that something never gets built, or something never happens.

It's more of a puzzle scenario, and it uses a tiny map, but I think I'll make it. It should be fun.

posted 08-16-03 04:18 PM CT (US)     8 / 9  
@Mechstra
I'm looking forward to that, and if you need playtesters, I would realy like to help.

And to add even more to the complexity to my ideas, "the choose your own hero" style could be implemented.

posted 08-16-03 05:05 PM CT (US)     9 / 9  
Cespenar - You have some neat ideas, it'll be good to see them implemented into scenarios and campaigns.

Mechstra - Sounds cool, i look forward to playing it.

In the fantasy campaign i'm working on now, your good-hearted character makes use of time travel to prevent something happening (I won't say too much at this time) but the event he meddled with results in a catastrophic outcome in the time he came from - so when he goes back to it. He has more trouble than before.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Some scenario ideas...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames