You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Topic Subject: "Dancing days are here again" - (Shogun 2 AAR)
posted 03-17-11 08:05 PM EDT (US)   

DANCING DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN

Hello all!

I was inspired, both by Muha's Oda AAR and the sheer awesomeness of one particular battle I enjoyed during my Uesugi campaign that I simply couldn't resist and had to write a typical Afty battle report.

It is only going to be a tiny side-project whilst I continue to finish up Flawless Crowns.

I want to test out a particular format that I am considering using when I get around to a full blown campaign AAR for Shogun 2 much like I did in Empire and Napoleon.

First part of two will be uploaded tomorrow!

Soon we shall all be dancing again, like embers on the spring wind...

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."

[This message has been edited by Aftermath (edited 03-17-2011 @ 08:09 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03-17-11 08:07 PM EDT (US)     1 / 25  

A small campfire burned on a blustery night in North Shinano province. A Monk sat, eyes closed and legs crossed in contemplation, on the opposite side of the flames a Samurai silently rested. The embers rose, dancing in the wind.

“Okuma Tomohide, Nakajo Fujikasuke, Nakajo Kageyasu...”

The Samurai whispered, but his words were carried by the wind to the meditating Monk.

The Monk, Kiyotada, opened his eyes to see the Samurai staring straight at him. Surprisingly, It did not startle nor unsettle him, as it would most other men. Instead Kiyotada stared right back, tipping his head forwards in acknowledgement.

The Samurai held his icy stare, his brown pupils narrowed slightly in suspicion.

“So your lord will not take me to Kai himself?” The Samurai finally asked, making conversation with the Monk rather than ignoring him. His voice was carried on the wind which fluttered the simple tent and wafted the flames. They danced in response and cast further embers into the clear night sky. They appeared to ascend into the pitch black and take place amongst the numerous glittering stars.

An unknown bird squawked from the surrounding woodland before the Monk responded.

“My lord Baba Moromoto has tasked me with taking you to see Takeda Shingen in Kai.” The Monk Kiyotada replied calmly. As he finished his sentence he picked up a bowl of rice that had been warming up besides the fire.

The Samurai grunted in response and watched the Monk take a large mouthful of the rice. Kiyotada noticed the other man's gaze and held the bowl outstretched, offering some to his temporary companion.

“Want some?” he said

“No.” came the gruff and grumpy reply from the grizzled Samurai.

“Thought not.” Kiyotada replied, chuckling.

A few more moments and mouthfuls passed before the Monk Kiyotada spoke again.

“To tell you the truth, I think my lord Baba Moromoto fears Shingen's wrath, for he has failed his master.”

The Samurai broke his icy demeanour to cackle.

“So, if you don't mind me asking, how did all of this happen?” Kiyotada questioned the Samurai.

“You serve Baba Moromoto, did he not tell you what happened?” The Samurai responded

“He had little time. He is regrouping the Takeda forces in the Northern Shinano fortress Matsumoto. As I understand, he will look to regain his honour by recapturing Kozuke
Province.” Kiyotada answered.

“Very well. I will recount to you the events of the battle at Takasaki. But you must tell me a story first, one of those wise monk tales!” The Samurai grinned in anticipation.

“I know of many wise tales, but I will only share one with you. I will tell you of the Tea Master and the Samurai.”

Kiyotada discarded the now-empty bowl and licked his chops in preparation to tell the Samurai the story.

“A tea master bumped into a Samurai, inadvertently bumping the Samurai's sword and causing him to drop it.”

“A great offence.” Interrupted the Samurai. The Monk pursed his lips disapprovingly before continuing the tale.

“The Samurai told him that they were to meet in the morning for a match to the death.

The tea master knew nothing about swordfighting. He sought out the local swordmaster and asked if he could borrow a sword, and explained the situation. The swordmaster said 'What are you going to do with this blade? You know nothing of sword combat.'

The tea master asked, 'Then what should I do?'

'You should die with dignity. Do the tea ceremony, what you do best, before the match.' replied the Swordmaster.

The next morning, after a sleepless night the tea master met the Samurai and said, 'Before I die, I will do the tea ceremony.' The Samurai waited. The Tea Master performed his ceremony, and after some time, the Samurai said, 'I have killed many people. Before they died, some tried to run, some cried, some screamed, some begged. But you show no fear. You are calm. I have never seen such composure of a man about to be killed. You have the ability to remain calm during any adversity. If you would permit it, Tea Master, I wish to study tea with you and develop the same calmness and control. Please forgive my offense.'

Kiyotada finished the tale with a loud slurp of his own cup of tea. The Samurai sat in silence as he processed the story.

“Your turn.” Said the Monk

The Samurai nodded and cleared his throat. The strap which kept his helmet on his head was uncomfortable but he could not adjust it now.

“You know who I am, monk?” Asked the Samurai.

“Of course.”

The Samurai paused, waiting for the Monk to prove he did.

“The honourable Uesugi Masakage, brother to Daimyo Uesugi Kenshin” Kiyotada said, again tipping his head to show respect to this great Samurai.

The Samurai, Masakage, grunted and nodded.

“I led the Uesugi forces to capture Kozuke province from the forces of Takeda Shingen in the Autumn of 1555. We Uesugi and Takeda are mortal enemies, the feud has burned for 20 years and it was no different as we evicted the Takeda from Kozuke.

The Takeda counter attack came sooner than expected. Takeda Nagauji marched his forces to besiege us at the start of Spring.”

“Ironic.” Interrupted Kiyotada, returning the favour.

“What is?” Uesugi Masakage asked.

“That this feud between the Daimyo Takeda Shingen and Uesugi Kenshin led to each man's brother taking the field against the other's brother. You, Uesugi Masakage – Kenshin's older brother – battling the war out against Shingen's beloved younger brother – Takeda Nagauji.” The Samurai was unsure what point the Monk was trying to make, he did take exception to the fact he noted Naguaji as Shingen's 'beloved' younger brother, implying Kenshin did not love him so.

“My men and I serve my brother Kenshin with pride in our hearts and hatred for the Takeda in our souls.” Masakage spoke with a noticeable passion before continuing his story.

“Your lord, Baba Moromoto arrived shortly after Nagauji. Between the two Takeda armies my men and I were outnumbered by more than twelve-hundred. Fortunately, a Uesugi man is worth two times a single Takeda man!”

The goading boast was ignored by the monk

“What forces did you have under your command?”

“I personally led four units of Katana Samurai, ten units of Yari Ashigaru, a single unit of Yari Samurai, a small group of Samurai retainers and also a single unit of the famous Uesugi Warrior Monks.” Masakage replied, pride once again clear in his tone and volume.

“And what of the Takeda set against you?”

Uesugi Masakage began to list the forces of the opposing army at the battle.

“Bah. Takeda Nagauji commanded;

- A unit of Yari Samurai
- A unit of elite Takeda Cavalry
- Thirteen units of elite Yari Ashigaru
- Two units of Bow Ashigaru

Whilst your lord, Baba Moromoto brought with him three units of Yari Ashigaru and six units of Bow Ashigaru.

Nagauji also brought with him two other Generals who served the Takeda.”

“Yes, Suwa Ariyoshi and Kosaka Noamitsu.” Kiyotada chimed in. Being a member of Baba Moromoto's retinue allowed him to be knowledgeable of such things.

“Really? Hah!” The news was clearly good. A huge satisfied grin was worn of Masakage, his white teeth on full display.

“I knew not their names, only memorised their faces as I felled them both. I did not expect them to be Suwa Ariyoshi and Kosaka Noamitsu!” He continued.

The monk allowed himself a quick, small smile. The Samurai's great pleasure was contagious.

'Odd how four words – two names – could make a man so happy.' Kiyotada mused.

Still it was clear to the monk as to why the Uesugi General travelling with him was so overjoyed to hear them. Suwa Ariyoshi was the Takeda Commissioner for Warfare. Kosaka Noamitsu was the Takeda Commissioner for Supply, both important and highly prestigious positions of power in the Takeda Clan's power structure.

“The Takeda are cowardly. I guessed that thanks to their superior forces Nagauji would sit outside our fort and wait for us to starve before launching the inevitable assault. Our Uesugi honour would not allow us to sit idly by as the Takeda have their way with us. I marched our forces to the outskirts of the settlement at Takasaki and met with my enemy in the lush fields and rolling hills.

Once Takeda Nagauji saw our banners across the expanse of grass I imagine he arrogantly scoffed, ordering his men to begin their march. Of course, I was outnumbered, so I reorganised my men.

Archers two units deep atop a grassy knoll. Two solid lines of Yari Ashigaru before them – one at the bottom of the hill, the other roughly halfway up. This would allow me to reinforce any struggling Ashigaru units or meet any Takeda who break through my first line of defence with a fearsome downhill charge.

My Yari Samurai waited on the left flank to protect the three units of Katana Samurai behind them from a cavalry charge. The Katana Samurai would be my hammer to smash into the rear of the Takeda infantry once they engaged my Yari lines.”

“What of the Warrior Monks?” Kiyotada queried, his interest was piqued by these men, and so many flocked to serve the Uesugi.

“Ah! Of course, how could I forget! The Warrior Monks were my best heavy infantry, having fought beside them for years, I had watched with pride as they tallied up more Takeda deaths than any other beneath my command. These brave men were hidden atop a second hill on the left flank of my formation. They would either reinforce the nearby Samurai or act with them as a bigger, heavier hammer.”

“Where were you?” Uesugi Masakage had gotten so tied up talking about his men like a proud father he had forgotten to mention where he would be during the start of the battle. Kiyotada was not a militant monk, but even he understood cavalry was an important commodity on the battlefield. As the only Uesugi cavalry unit on the battlefield it was important to note where Masakage and his bodyguard would be.

“I watched from atop the hill, just behind my archers. The Takeda forces marched at an angle, straight towards the hill I intended to defend. A unit of their infamous Cavalry broke off from the main group and ran straight towards my Katana Samurai, eager to take out my reserves. Luckily the commander of the Yari Samurai had his wits about him and rushed forth to meet the cavalry head-on.

The horsemen were no fools, they turned at the last possible second, changing their trajectory for the nearby small hill. I assume to attempt a flanking move or even a downhill charge. Unfortunately for them they headed straight into the trap I set with the Uesugi Warrior Monks. And mark my words, these men are no tea-sipping wise-story telling monks. They are devoted to the god Bishamonten, as am I, my brother and many of our brethren.”

The Samurai paused momentarily as he noticed the slight frown and disapproving stare of Kiyotada as he sipped his tea again, slurping loudly as if to make a point.

“No offence, of course.” Uttered Masakage.

“None taken.” The tea cup clattered slightly as the monk placed it back on the small porcelain saucer.

“Where was I...

The Monks!

They slaughtered many of the Takeda cavalry, the Yari Samurai raced uphill to pin the horsemen between Naginata and Spear tips, ensuring none can regroup and re-attack.

By this point the Takeda Ashigaru were charging my first ranks of Ashigaru. Many of them met charge with charge.

The Takeda Generals were overconfident. And supported their Ashigaru perhaps a little too closely.

With both forces giving full battle I ordered my archers to set alight their arrows. Moments later fiery arrows rained down on the heads of the Takeda infantry.

I began to march my three units of Katana Samurai, the Naginata Monks and Yari Samurai to the Takeda flank. From there they would march down the enemy formation, surrounding one unit at a time.

The Katana wielding Samurai did not take long to engage the nearest unit of Takeda Yari infantry.

On my flank, the furthest units were only just meeting Takeda infantry due to the staggered method of attack Nagauji employed. It was here the Takeda general committed his Samurai to the battle. The Uesugi Ashigaru did their best to hold them off but these men were far more experienced, a lifetime of martial training made them leagues above the peasants. They died with honour.

The battle had turned drastically against me shortly after. The centre of my first Yari Ashigaru line had crumbled to nothing in the face of strong Takeda assault. Worse still, I had split the second line in two – one half marched to meet the Takeda Samurai to the right of the hill, the other to the left to help their struggling compatriots. Thus, my archers were exposed to assault and my forces split into two distinct groups. The Takeda generals sensed their victory and joined the battle.

This is when I marched through my archer units. No other Uesugi forces would be able to protect the hill and invaluable archers, the duty fell squarely on my shoulders. My bodyguard retinue and I met the first Takeda General who dared charge my suddenly vulnerable archers. I weaved through his bodyguards, parried a single blow from his Katana and beheaded him. The rest of his bodyguard promptly fled.

My archers – all three units of them – focused their fire upon another Takeda officer as he charged from the right hand side. A tsunami of razor sharp arrows washed through the mounted men and turned them from the battlefield, many were wounded, a handful were dead. One of them was a General.

At this point my noble Uesugi brothers had dispatched two of the Takeda commanders, only the leader of the assault and heir to the leadership of the Clan, Takeda Nagauji and your own lord, Baba Moromoto remained.

It was then I was afforded a moment to take stock. I realised Baba Moromoto had marched his forces from the Right flank. They came ever closer to breaking the fragile morale state of my men. Our only hope was to break the bulk of Nagauji's forces and wheel-around to meet the new threat. I only hoped the Naginata Monks moved quicker in systematically routing their Ashigaru opponents.

The Yari Ashigaru on the right hand side of the hill were holding their ground valiantly, but they stood no chance of stopping the overwhelming Takeda forces who cut deeper and deeper through their ranks with each passing moment.

I was in a stronger position on the left hand side. The Naginata Monks continued to break and rout the Takeda Ashigaru they encountered. By and large though, the Yari units they were rescuing were too damaged and weakened to be of any use.

The Katana Samurai marched slower, too slow to save my right flank from collapse.

Takeda Yari Ashigaru marched straight through the widening hole in the centre of my formation. I knew I stood no chance against their number. Fortunately for me the archers I was trying to protect were brave Uesugi men. They began to draw their swords and steady their feet, prepared to meet their foes.

It was then that I caught sight of Uesugi Ashigaru fleeing past me, bloodied, sweaty and dirty from the fighting. I followed their trail until my eyes saw Takeda Nagauji and his retinue cutting them down as they ran. He headed up the hill, having delivered the crippling blow to my right flank he clearly intended to capitalise on the momentum and capture the hilltop.

I drew my Katana and led my own retinue crashing downhill into his own. The combat was vicious but short lived. Nagauji managed to thrust his own sword deep into my shoulder, it was nothing compared to the blow I delivered to him however, for it toppled his head – wide-eyed expression and all – from his shoulders.

Running uphill were three of the Takeda Yari units, too late to save their lord. This did not stop or even falter their step. I was forced to turn around and return to the hilltop.

There my retinue and I continued to pile up Takeda bodies until Baba himself arrived. His charge carved a gouge in my remaining archers and broke their morale. I remember wheeling my horse around and felling two of his mounted retinue. Then one of the Yari Ashigaru thrust a spear tip up underneath my breastplate. The blade crashed through my ribs, turning again I slashed down at the man's neck and then cut the spear in half. Then another sharp pain at my back, another spear. I urged my horse forward, my gaze momentarily met Moromoto's a short distance away as the coward cut down my fleeing Bow Ashigaru. I met his wide-eyed, panic filled stare with a bloodied toothy grin.

But only a few steps later I was intercepted by another two members of his Retinue. I parried the blows of one with my Katana in one hand. I turned to see the other man raising his Katana. I used my free arm to grab for my Wakizashi...”

A f t y

A A R S

[This message has been edited by Aftermath (edited 03-18-2011 @ 10:41 AM).]

posted 03-17-11 08:07 PM EDT (US)     2 / 25  
“Go on.” Kiyotada urged, fascinated by the detailed retelling of the action.

After a another short pause, the Samurai continued.

“But I could not. The wound I had suffered on that arm's shoulder had rendered it useless. I could do nothing but yell a battlecry at the top of my lungs as the Takeda man caught me clean with the Katana. I felt myself falling from horseback to the grass.”

Masakage was silent. Not in sorrow, but rather proudly enjoying reliving the glory he had won for his Clan. Kiyotada closed his eyes and also enjoyed the momentary silence, he did not want to prod the Uesugi Samurai in continuing until he was ready.

“That is a terrifying perspective to witness a battle from.” Masakage continued after what might have been twenty minutes. The gruff voice stirred Kiyotada from his own meditation.

“What is?” He asked, not quite following what the Samurai was talking about.

“The ground.” Uesugi Masakage responded with a certain conviction. As if he believed with all his heart there was no worse way for a warrior to partake in the climax of a battle. Helpless.

“Though I was down. The remaining Uesugi had heard my battlecry. It rallied them as their small number fought on with what I can only imagine is a frightening demeanour for the Takeda forces.

The Katana Samurai, Naginata Monks and Yari Samurai arrived at the bottom of the hill at around the exact same time. And charged the clustered and out of formation Takeda infantry. This part of the battle seemed to last an eternity.

Despite the Takeda huge numerical advantage the Uesugi warriors carved through them one by one.

As the Takeda bodies stacked up the Ashigaru morale was crippled, they turned and fled.

It was not long before this part of the battlefield fell deadly silent. The wind made the grass wave, birds chirped in the tall trees. It was a beautiful day, despite the carnage it witnessed the earth's beauty was untainted.”

“What of Baba Moromoto and his forces?” Questioned Kiyotada. The Samurai had seemingly forgotten to mention their fate.

“I was just getting to that, I thought Monks were universally patient beyond measure?”

Kiyotada did not rise to the bait, instead allowing an almost imperceptible smirk.

“Your lord, Moromoto... I can only assume he retreated after I was struck. His forces had completed their march and were headed straight for the hotly-contested hill. From where I sat I could make out his banner at the rear of his infantry, so he must have fallen back following the annihilation of the remaining Nagauji army.

Anyway, the small handful of Uesugi left standing on the battlefield marched to the hilltop and stood at it's peak, staring down upon the incoming Moromoto army. The Takeda reinforcements must have numbered 2000!

“1550.” Chimed in Kiyotada

“What?”

“It was 1550.” He repeated

“...”

“Trust me, I have a place in Lord Baba Moromoto's retinue, remember? I can attest for the fact that he led 1550 men to the battlefield that day.” Kiyotada explained, somewhat sheepishly. He regretted not allowing the Samurai to exaggerate and enjoy the glory.

“Whatever. 1550. The Uesugi who stood defiantly to oppose them were the very men I trusted most. The tattered remnants of the Yari Samurai, Katana Samurai and of course, the Naginata Monks. These brave men watched the enemy advance, waiting patiently and basking in a silence that I have only ever heard whilst praying.

Baba Moromoto halted all six units of archers just within range of the top of the hill. From there they showered what was left of my men with arrows. Yet still they stood, not faltering nor shuffling. They greeted the honourable death they had earned that day.

Meanwhile the Yari Ashigaru plodded towards the bottom of the hill. Moromoto wanted to ensure none survive, he wanted these Takeda spearmen to chase after the Uesugi once their morale broke.

Just as the Moromoto infantry came to a halt however, a bellowing war cry echoed over the landscape. The Monks chanted their prayers to the War God Bishamonten and seconds later this sound was drowned out by the yells of the Samurai like thunder as they raised their weapons and charged downhill, straight towards the foolish men of the Takeda Clan.

It was clear your 'noble' lord Baba Moromoto was panicked, ordering his archers to continue firing into the sudden melee, slaughtering many of his own men.

It did not take long for the Yari Ashigaru to turn and run right back towards the rest of their Takeda brothers. Of course the valiant Uesugi warriors gave chase, straight towards the mobs of archers. Rushing headlong into unending barrages of arrows. Many more Uesugi fell, each one a testament to the honour of the Clan.

Suffice to say, even though the archers outnumbered the remaining Samurai and Monks by around four to one they were routed or cut down, one by one the warriors of the Uesugi Clan meticulously delivered their ancestor's wrath to the Takeda enemy. Above the generic din of chanting, fervent yelling and painful screaming I could hear uncountable shouts boasting of family members and relatives and the Samurai's pride elevated their combat prowess.

It did not take long for the entire force of archers to turn and run, panic stricken by the skill of my men. I was during the chaos and ensuing pursuit that Baba Moromoto must have fled the battlefield himself. I would have cried tears of pride were I able.”

Kiyotada was quite honestly dumbstruck. He had no words. He could only meet the steely gaze of the brown eyes belonging to Uesugi Masakage. The gaze was unlike the one the Monk and Samurai had shared at the start of the windy evening. Now the brown eyes were energised, filled with the aura of fatherlike pride and passion, they were the eyes of a man who had gotten ultimate satisfaction from life.

The silence was interrupted as the Samurai resumed the same whispering that had first disturbed the Monk, and begun their lengthy exchange.

“Naoe Kanetsugu, Shibata Naganori, Nakajo Fujikasuke...”

The Monk watched, but the Samurai seemed not to notice as his gaze was tipped upward, watching the embers dancing, ascending to the heavens.

The Monk's curiosity won over.

“You were whispering names earlier, too. Those were the first words I heard you speak infact... What is it you're doing? Who are they?”

Uesugi Masakage cleared his throat before answering.

“These are the names of the men who died protecting me that day, the men who died valiantly and brought great honour to the Uesugi Clan. Only the brightest embers from the fire represent their souls as they march to meet Bishamonten, the God of War.”

“Have you named them all now?” Kiyotada continued his line of questioning.

“Two more...” The Samurai said as his eyes scanned the rising embers.

“Ah, Takamata Yoshitsuna... one more... Saitô Tomonobu”

Finished, Masakage closed his eyes momentarily, making a guttural throat noise that sounded a lot like comfort to the Monk.

The flames were dying down now, the embers starting to fade quicker. Kiyotada pulled an old fan from his pack and began gently wafting them, massaging the air carefully to stir the flame in a certain way. His actions caught the attention of the Samurai who watched with intrigue.

“What are you doing?”

Kiyotada ignored the question and continued fanning the dull red-orange flame.

A moment later the flame flickered and changed to a deep yellow as if re-ignited with oil. A large ember broke off and burned almost a brilliant white. Both the Monk and the Samurai watched as it danced gently in the night breeze. The stars above glittered and twinkled, beckoning it to join them as it continued it's dance ever upwards.

Before it was out of sight, Kiyotada spoke;

“Uesugi Masakage.”

Much in the same manner the Uesugi General had done so for all those who had perished protecting him during the battle. For he, along with all the men who faithfully served with him, their Dancing Days had returned thanks to the spring wind.

The severed head turned it's gaze to the Monk, who smiled with admiration.

“So... who did this to me?” Uesugi Masakage asked, he rolled his eyes down to indicate the still-bloody decapitation wound. He knew the Katana blow that had killed him during the battle did not behead him, it must have been done post-battle.

“Like I said... My lord Baba Moromoto tasked me with taking you to see Takeda Shingen in Kai.” Kiyotada responded matter of factly. Allowing Masakage to draw his own conclusions from the statement.

“Haha! So Moromoto does not even have the stomach to take the head from my fallen body!” The Samurai was clearly amused at the cowardice of the Takeda officer.

He regarded the Monk with a small grin of respect upon his dry, pale lips. He had not expected the Monk to have the stomach for it either.

'Maybe Kiyotada has more in common with the Uesugi monks than he thinks.' The head mused.

The two new friends laughed and talked and shared stories of wisdom and glory right through the blustery night in the North Shinano Province. The next day Kiyotada put out the smoldering fire and continued his journey south to Kai, for his audience with Daimyo Takeda Shingen. In the day, the head of Uesugi Masakage was wrapped in a bloodied cloth, helmet and all. The Monk missed the banter that the two had shared, and the head showed no signs of life whatsoever during the daytime.

After a long walk, Kiyotada arrived at Shingen's Fortress. He was walked to the audience chamber.

Inside, lanterns burned subtly casting shadows across the walls in a warming reddish glow. He gently handed over the wrapped up head to one of the Takeda Daimyo's Retainers. It was quickly unwrapped and placed on an ornate tray. The retainer calmly walked to kneel before Takeda Shingen, offering the head up on the plate as if a meal to be eaten.

Kiyotada watched from the side of the room, in the company of the other governing officials of the Clan. He watched as Takeda Shingen leaned forwards from his chair, squinting slightly as he regarded the Uesugi General.

“So this is the man who killed my son and heir Takeda Nagauji? And slew commissioners Suwa Ariyoshi and Kosaka Noamitsu?” Shingen spoke with authority but could not disguise his emotion. He was so close he could feel his warm breath bouncing off the Uesugi's head back at him.

Suddenly, the disembodied head opened it's brown eyes as wide as possible, staring maniacally at the Takeda Daimyo. The reddish glow of the walls and the burning lanterns made it seem like hell. The proud head yelled;

“I AM UESUGI MASAKAGE! BROTHER OF UESUGI KENSHIN! I SHALL HAUNT YOUR CLAN FOR 10,000 YEARS!”

Everyone in the room was startled. Takeda Shingen himself fell backwards off his chair in utter shock, the Retainer dropped the head in fright.

Kiyotada chuckled.

A f t y

A A R S

[This message has been edited by Aftermath (edited 03-20-2011 @ 10:17 AM).]

posted 03-17-11 08:46 PM EDT (US)     3 / 25  
I take First Reply for the BadAss frontier!

And look forward to reading it, Afty! (a part of me also wishes that you'd just forget about F Crowns for a bit, but this will do for the moment )

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix
Guild of the Skalds, Order of the Silver Quill, Apprentice Storyteller
Battle of Ilipa, 206BC - XI TWH Egil Skallagrimson Award

The word dyslexia was invented by Nazis to piss off kids with dyslexia.
posted 03-17-11 10:31 PM EDT (US)     4 / 25  
It feels good inspiring others =P
posted 03-18-11 00:53 AM EDT (US)     5 / 25  
yeah, a shogun 2 total war finnally, looking forward to it afty.

"When I am in the battlefield, I love it more then when I am in my house"-Khalid Bin Walid
Questions, Questions, you always ask questions-Teacher
Why sir, questions are the basis of human intelligence-me

[This message has been edited by Khalidbinwalid (edited 03-18-2011 @ 00:54 AM).]

posted 03-18-11 10:42 AM EDT (US)     6 / 25  
Part 1 of 2 is uploaded. Hope you enjoy it.

A f t y

A A R S

posted 03-18-11 11:22 AM EDT (US)     7 / 25  
Bloody excellent.

The battle, told in character, is gripping. You portray the action well, adn the venue chosen was pure genius.

Well done!

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
posted 03-18-11 06:33 PM EDT (US)     8 / 25  
Very nicely done, Afty!

I eagerly await the second part!

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.
posted 03-19-11 02:45 AM EDT (US)     9 / 25  
Very enjoyable, entertaining and gripping. I wish I could write my AAR in such detail... too bad that is impossible with my scope.
posted 03-19-11 05:16 AM EDT (US)     10 / 25  
Thankyou all.

Part 2 of 2 shall be uploaded tonight!

A f t y

A A R S

posted 03-19-11 11:08 AM EDT (US)     11 / 25  
Cool as hell, every bit of it is!

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix

posted 03-20-11 10:29 AM EDT (US)     12 / 25  
Part 2 of 2 is now uploaded, I hope you enjoy it and didn't see 'it' coming

I saved the replay too, so I'll upload that once we have Shogun 2 Heaven up and running.

Here are the post-battle stats for those who wanna see: Note that it shows I still have Ashigaru left, though during the battle they routed, I only get them back because their morale was 'broken' and not 'shattered'

A f t y

A A R S

posted 03-20-11 12:04 PM EDT (US)     13 / 25  
Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant! I loved the twist and the ending!
posted 03-21-11 02:57 AM EDT (US)     14 / 25  
Echo the above.

Stunningly done!

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
posted 03-21-11 06:45 AM EDT (US)     15 / 25  
Thanks Muha and Terikel, glad you liked it! I had hoped I'd pulled it off well enough without giving too much away, like when he refuses the Monk's offering of food.

A f t y

A A R S

posted 03-21-11 07:07 AM EDT (US)     16 / 25  
Haha that ending made me laugh! A wonderful ending.

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.
posted 03-21-11 01:39 PM EDT (US)     17 / 25  
Superb! An excellently told dramatisation, with just the right balance of detail, drama, and that dash of dry humour.
posted 03-21-11 03:53 PM EDT (US)     18 / 25  
Amazing battle
posted 03-22-11 09:43 AM EDT (US)     19 / 25  
Excellent! Definitely one of your very best.

"It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of work to do. There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Wasting time is merely an occupation then, and a most exhausting one. Idleness, like kisses, to be sweet must be stolen." -- Jerome K. Jerome

"Some people become so expert at reading between the lines they don't read the lines." -- Margaret Millar

ERADICATE CONDESCENSION! (That means don't talk down to people.)
posted 03-22-11 12:27 PM EDT (US)     20 / 25  
Legion, Andalus, All_rounder (welcome ), Bast... Thanks for reading. Glad you liked it

Won't increase my workload any further until I've completed the last 2 chapters of 'Crowns

A f t y

A A R S

posted 03-22-11 03:53 PM EDT (US)     21 / 25  
Very awesome
posted 03-23-11 10:02 AM EDT (US)     22 / 25  
Read Part 2 days ago and never managed to leave a comment until now

I just love it. Did not see 'it' coming at all, yes. Continue the good work with Shogun 2 soon, Afty!

posted 03-25-11 11:06 AM EDT (US)     23 / 25  
Thanks Swamp and GKA!

Glad you didn't see the twist, I tried to write the sort of tale you can imagine being told by Japanese Monks and travellers in reverence of such a great general.

As for a larger Shogun 2 AAR: It's a long way off yet. I usually like to try it from a different angle, like the unplayable Mughals and Hessians, so I'll see how that develops in the future.

A f t y

A A R S

posted 03-26-11 04:09 AM EDT (US)     24 / 25  
Yeah you managed to get that across quite well. Pretty ninja.

No worries about that, of course. (Muha's will keep me from going under for the moment )

posted 03-26-11 08:14 AM EDT (US)     25 / 25  
Very good
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » "Dancing days are here again" - (Shogun 2 AAR)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: