Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How To: Anything
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
posted 11-20-03 10:10 PM CT (US)   
OK, because i wanted to, and was extremely bored, i made this thread.

Anyone with problems concerning any area of scenario design; please, stick ur problems in here. i guess you could say this is my way of controlling the number of threads that are short lived, because they are quickly answered, so instead of making threads, put them hear... simple enough, even for me, and i cant even stay on topic for more than a sentence...ive gone and done it again.

um, so yeah, im not responsible for answering your questions... but i'll do my best, as i hope everyone else will.(please)

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd....GO!

Replies:
posted 11-20-03 10:17 PM CT (US)     1 / 225  
This has been tried a lot, and always fails. Don't bother.
posted 11-20-03 10:26 PM CT (US)     2 / 225  
I was going to say what he said.

_________________.##@@$$$@@##._____________
______________,##@$::%$$%%::$@##.__________
____________#@$:%%000000000%%:$@#_________
___________#@$:%00'___________'00%:$@#_______
__________#@$:%0'_______________'0%:$@#______
_________#@$:%0__________________0%:$@#_____
posted 11-20-03 10:54 PM CT (US)     3 / 225  
Yes, even me and Redlord tried one...didn't turn out good

(˘•٠˛••°ˉˆ˚°¤ ̬ ¤°˚ˆˉ°••˛٠•˘)
-o˚°o¤ Red Beard ¤o°˚o-
ˆ˚°”-•٠o•|^|•o٠•-“°˚ˆ
posted 11-20-03 11:49 PM CT (US)     4 / 225  
There have been many threads like this that were either shortlived,or longlived,but they always sunk in the end.

(¯`·._.~RayofLightSword~._.·´¯)
(¯`·._.~Official Unnofficial Forum Uber-1337 King of +1~._.·´¯)
"The Goddess Fortune is the devil's servant, ready to kiss anyone's ass".-William Blake
posted 11-21-03 04:26 PM CT (US)     5 / 225  
Don't bother posting then, if you're just going to be redundant and lecture about the thread's failure. Let's not purposely try to destroy the thread, okay?

CRYSTALCROWN

Play OnlineBecause you really can't gloat about beating the computer.
Learn the FlushSo you don't lose every game in under 20 minutes.

It's not a post count; it's making your posts count.
posted 11-21-03 04:44 PM CT (US)     6 / 225  
so i guess i should start off with my 3 word question:

invincible units how

posted 11-21-03 05:14 PM CT (US)     7 / 225  
i answered that in your thread
posted 11-21-03 06:32 PM CT (US)     8 / 225  
My two problems I am working on tonight:

To create an invisible barrier in game, on which I gave up, I can't create rotated cliffs with triggers. It would also help to make walkable water not walkable in game after a bridge was removed.

2. As designers are seldom fixing their scenarios after a review I decided to fix the ones I want to keep myself. Kevin the unlikely Hero, the end scene does not work.

trigger "vikings"
condition 0 = object in area
condition 1 = player 2 defeated
effect 4 = display instructions (text)
effect 0 = deactivate trigger kevin dies
effect 6 = remove Aethelfirth
effect 1 = change view player 1
effect 2 = create heroes Aethelfirth
effect 3 = create heroes Joan the Maid
effect 5 = activate trigger "love # 1"

"love # 1" has the condition that both heroes are in an area, but Aethelfirth is obviously removed the same moment he is created.

Here is what I did.

New trigger "New Aethelfirth" starting state "off"
effect 0 = create heroes Aethelfirth
effect 1 = activate trigger "love # 1"

in trigger "vikings"

effect 5 = activate trigger "New Aethelfirth"
effect 2 deleted
I also moved trigger "New Aethelfirth" up from position 173 under trigger "vikings", as player 5 was running all over the map with nine units instead of changing ownership to player 1, the move fixed that, but not 100%, see below.

The game plays fine including the end scene. Just two annoying things, the fixed game starts now with:

AI Script Error
Player 3
File jg_still.per
ERR 5001: File open failed

WTF did I do wrong? Player 3 is the Mad Monk, character standard and I have no clue about file jg_still per
Except one unit player 5 stays put, character standard. This one unit also changes ownership, but far from its starting point. Also the one unit that is supposed to patrol keeping its colour moves.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

posted 11-21-03 09:21 PM CT (US)     9 / 225  
KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHNNNNNN.... anyways...

for your first question:
to create an invisible barrier (i just thought of this now) try making a box (outlining where u want the barrier to be) of identical task object triggers, so that whenever the unit(s) try to leave the area, they are "bounced", sent, whatever, to say, the centre of the box.

and, now i have a question:
is there anyway to keep a player(computer player) from resigning mid-game? the player only owns two units, a monk that is tasked to u the whole game, and a berserker that wanders back and forth along a river bank, which he cannot access the rest of the map from.

posted 11-22-03 07:50 AM CT (US)     10 / 225  
Tanneur, the problem is you don’t have the ai in the ai folder. Obviously you extracted the scenario, but you don’t have the ai (It will show up as "Personality Standard" in the editor). To fix this, either use another ai/re-select standard ai, or play the original cpx, then quit out, go to the windows temp folder, and you’ll find all the ai’s there, called “temp_AiRules1.tmp” etc. It’s easier to find them if you empty the folder first.
Just rename them to the one your missing and place it in your ai folder.

Pyschosomatic, place a few more units on the map this will stop them resigning.
Or just use Immobile ai. The berserker is scouting, so if you still want him walking along the river, use a patrol trigger.

posted 11-22-03 09:20 AM CT (US)     11 / 225  
Hallo Berserker Jerker

Thank you for your advice, I re-selected standard ai and I don't get the AI Script Error anymore, still the other issue regarding player 5 is not fixed. I also re-selected standard ai for him but without success.

I knew about the issue for campaigns, what puzzles me is that Kevin the unlikely Hero comes with a .scn file, four AI/Per files attack 1, 2, 3 and Immobile Units. So all files were in the folder.

player 1 standard
player 2 attack 2
player 3 standard
player 4 immobile units
player 5 standard
player 6 attack 2
player 7 attack 3
player 8 immobile units.

No clue why attack 1 was in the zip and why adding a trigger for player 1 makes the two units of player 5 wander about the map. Guess I reset all triggers in question.

posted 11-22-03 10:55 AM CT (US)     12 / 225  
Player five now has standard ai, this means that one or more units will be designated as scouts by the ai, that's why they are wondering around the map. Can't you just use Immobile ai for this player?
posted 11-22-03 11:06 AM CT (US)     13 / 225  
Tanneur, did you really do that kind of mistake (with the AI)? ...

"Especially awe-inspiring is the fact that any single brain is made up of atoms that were forged in the hearts of countless stars billions of years ago... These atoms now form a conglomerate – your brain – that can not only ponder the very stars that gave it birth but can also think about its own ability to think and wonder about its own ability to wonder. With the arrival of humans…the universe has suddenly become conscious of itself. This, truly, is the greatest mystery of all." - Rama
posted 11-22-03 12:40 PM CT (US)     14 / 225  

Quoted from Berserker Jerker:

Player five now has standard ai

Not sure what you mean with NOW. Player five has also standard ai in the original version, but the use of immobile ai solved the problem.

The only difference between the fixed and the original version is that player five gives up after the change of ownership to player 1. There is still one unit left at another location.

Probably the whole mess started because I have a non patched version, I can not believe that the designer just got lucky that his units are never scouting with the standard ai in the original version.

Quoted from Lt_Surge99:

Tanneur, did you really do that kind of mistake (with the AI)?

My only intention was to fix a trigger and not to assign different AIs to the players than the author intended.

posted 11-22-03 01:36 PM CT (US)     15 / 225  
Ah I see, I thought you had altered it to standard ai, my mistake.

Quote:

The only difference between the fixed and the original version is that player five gives up after the change of ownership to player 1. There is still one unit left at another location

I suspect that the ai was not standard in the original, if you don't have the ai, then when you veiw the player options in the editor, it will default back to standard. I suspect you are actually missing an Ai called "JG still.per" This is the ai the game reported missing for player 3, and it would not have reported it for player five because it only reports 1 error at a time. You then checked the personality for each player and inadvertently set player five to standard, or it reset to default. Well I might be completely wrong of course, but using Immobile ai for player 5 should be the answer
posted 11-22-03 11:13 PM CT (US)     16 / 225  
Thanks Berserker Jerker, ill just plop a couple more units around the map...does the "immobile units" AI keep the computer player from resigning? or will it just keep the units stationary?
posted 11-23-03 03:32 AM CT (US)     17 / 225  
Tanneur, I'm surprised you can't figure out a way to make invisible cliffs and unwalkable water that used to be walkable.

*sigh* Well I guess you'll probably figure it out some crazy technical way that makes use of at least half a dozen bugs, but if you want my caveman method, we can talk. Shame on you for not thinking outside the box!

posted 11-23-03 06:25 AM CT (US)     18 / 225  
Crasher please read my post again it seems you did not understand the problem.

Quoted from crasher:

Shame on you

The invisible barrier has to be created during game play, not in the editor which everybody knows how even me.

Quoted from Tanneur99:

To create an invisible barrier in game

In game is not the editor!

I thought about the draw bridge trick by Murdok509. He closes two gates in his utility when the bridge parts are removed.
It would look more realistic without the gates, at least the one outside the fortress, in front of the moat. So the moment the draw bridge is up an invisible barrier should be created.

Again in the example of the draw bridge, if the invisible barrier fails, I need a solution to make the water unwalkable after the removal of the bridge pieces.

Hope you come up with a solution.

[This message has been edited by Tanneur99 (edited 11-23-2003 @ 06:56 AM).]

posted 11-23-03 06:35 AM CT (US)     19 / 225  
Pyschosomatic, yes it will stop the ai resigning, the standard ai resigns when these conditions are met:
Easiest & Easy: game time greater than 600, less than 5 villagers no relics or wonders (Unless it’s conquest), and less than 5% total population for soldiers. (IE 100 population = 5 soldiers)
Moderate: As above but with 3 villagers.
Hard & Hardest: As above but no villagers and 3 or less soldiers, and no cannon galleon line.
posted 11-23-03 11:29 AM CT (US)     20 / 225  
Thanks Berserker Jerker.

Tannuer99, i guess my idea with using the task object triggers to make an invisible barrier wasnt what you were looking for?

posted 11-23-03 01:08 PM CT (US)     21 / 225  
The problem with that solution is that it can be easily overridden by rapid clicking.

"The most important thing to do in your life, is to not interfere with somebody else's life." - Zappa
posted 11-23-03 02:54 PM CT (US)     22 / 225  
Hi Pyschosomatic

Quote:

Tannuer99, i guess my idea with using the task object triggers to make an invisible barrier wasn't what you were looking for?

Thanks for your help, but that doesn't work. To create a "forbidden area" with task object trigger was done by Enoth in Romans leave Britain and for what he intended the solution was fine. You still can get around this with constantly clicking. Also to task/bounce a unit away from the water does not look like it and your barrier will be there already when the bridge is still down, when units should be able to walk/ride across. The barrier should be created when the bridge is up, removed when the bridge is down, and created again when it's up. As said I gave up on that unless maybe crasher has a brilliant idea, he sounded like he has one.
Well, there is still the option to have unwalkable water after the bridge went up.

Hallo Berserker Jerker

Thank you for your help. The scenario plays perfect now.

Quote:

You then checked the personality for each player and inadvertently set player five to standard

It sets it to standard even if you don't check the personality. Jg_still.per is not included in the zip, somehow the .scn "remembers" the ai file and the original version plays like intended. The moment you save the file the memory is erased, player 3 and 5 set to standard. Like the saved game bugs regarding taunts and walkable cliffs. I loaded Kevin again and for the second download I got the AI Script Error for player 5 instead of 3 for the missing jg_still.per; I gave immobile unit Gold to player 3 and 5 which fixed the issue of player 5 giving up after changing ownership except one unit. I guess that's why JG did not use the immobile units and wrote his own ai. Well, at least I know another difference between immobile units and immobile units Gold.

posted 11-23-03 09:03 PM CT (US)     23 / 225  
I have absolutely no real "trick", I was just trying to encourage you to think of a way to make a barrier by any means possible. Does it HAVE to be invisible? I mean, if the story is something like "there is a forcefield" then yes it should be invisible, but if I assume correctly, you just want to block a passage that used to be passable? Just think up a reason for it to become blocked. Of course, if it must be invisible then I have made of myself and I cannot help lol. But if you'll try to describe what you need done without revealing anything substantial, I think we could figure something out...
posted 11-23-03 09:37 PM CT (US)     24 / 225  
He says he needs there to be an unwalkable drawbridge, so you can't just say bridge being repaired or something... He needs an actual barrier.

I've been experimenting, and I thought I found a solution, but for some reason you can't task an invisible villager to an invisible villager.

zyxomma100- Age of Kings Heaven forumer
Proudly thwarting Dark_Aro's evil plans since 2002
"There is nothing more sad than watching a teutonic knight chasing a petard."
posted 11-23-03 09:46 PM CT (US)     25 / 225  
See, I'm not that great with triggers, and I'm working on a game I want to be good so....

1.Sometimes when I have triggers, mainly change ownership, my game shuts down when I test it, and I have Windows XP.Do you know why?

2. Sometimes, when I try to rename units, I go to make a new trigger, and I see the name trigger in red. What's wrong?

3. I also have a bad problem with tasking units for some reason.The tasked objects won't move, or I can't select in the map editor WHICH units to move.

I've just signed up here, and My scenarios aren't creative, just howdy-doody plain...So I really need ideas and answers, if possible.

Also, Great scenarios Berserker Jerker!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
posted 11-23-03 09:55 PM CT (US)     26 / 225  

Quote:

1.Sometimes when I have triggers, mainly change ownership, my game shuts down when I test it, and I have Windows XP.Do you know why?

*sigh* Windows XP doesn't have anything to do with it. (If I had a nickel for every time...)

You are:
1. Changing ownership of too many units at the same time. At most, change ownership of 50 units at a time. Note that ach wall piece counts as a unit. If you are trying to change ownership of units in an area, make sure you have the area set correctly.
2. Trying to change ownership of a tree or something. Fix it.
3. You have something along with the Change Ownership that is crashing. See the magic nuber 50 I mentioned? That goes along with everything. For example, if you try to change ownership of 25 units and task them at the same split second, there's your magic 50, and I would wait one more second before letting any more triggers do anything.

I bet #1 is your prolem, though.

Quote:

2. Sometimes, when I try to rename units, I go to make a new trigger, and I see the name trigger in red. What's wrong?

A red trigger means you messed up. Go to the Change Object Name trigger, click Set Unit, THEN click the unit.

Quote:

3. I also have a bad problem with tasking units for some reason.The tasked objects won't move, or I can't select in the map editor WHICH units to move.

This is the same problem as #2. I bet the Task Object trigger is red. See the solution for #2.

posted 11-23-03 10:06 PM CT (US)     27 / 225  
Heh. Well, I knew that red means wrong...C'mon,I've had this game quite a while now.Thankx.

But what I'm saying also,...Uhm....Well, I have a scenario I'm working on, and in a later area, you have a change ownership deal, but my game shuts down anyways at the beggining.

And also, more questions, how do I convert a sound file I want to put in a trigger,In to sound file -trigger- compatible?

I can't shut up..can I?

How do you have people, say, buy something?The playable player has, say 75 gold, and I want him to be able to get something ONLY if he has 100 gold. How do I make it that he's only able to buy it with that gold, then after its bought, make the gold go down 100?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
posted 11-23-03 10:20 PM CT (US)     28 / 225  
Oh, if it crashes at the beginning, you should have said so. Check to make sure no units are created off the map. (Note that you can have units hanging off the map, as long as their foundations are on it.) It also may be a trigger problem. Make sure you are not violating the 50 unit magic number. (Actually, the number could be higher, depending on your computer, but 50 is generally as high as you should go.)

Quote:

And also, more questions, how do I convert a sound file I want to put in a trigger,In to sound file -trigger- compatible?

As long as the sound is in .wav or .mp3 (.mp3 suggested) format, you're all right. Put the file in your Sound/Scenario folder and you can use it.

Quote:

How do you have people, say, buy something?The playable player has, say 75 gold, and I want him to be able to get something ONLY if he has 100 gold. How do I make it that he's only able to buy it with that gold, then after its bought, make the gold go down 100?

It looks like you have very basic knowledge of triggers. Use the Accumulate Attribute condition. Get it? If you don't know what accumulate is, look it up in the dictionary.

Now if you want to have the player get rid of 100 gold, use the Tribute effect. Get it? Tribute makes you get rid of stuff by giving it to someone else.

Just use a bit of logic when creating triggers.

posted 11-23-03 10:30 PM CT (US)     29 / 225  
Thankx!

More questions...

Say I have someone talking to another. I have two different speaking triggers, but the last one that I put up is the only one shown. How do I have one part of the conversation said, then after a small amount of time, have the second part replied?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
posted 11-23-03 10:37 PM CT (US)     30 / 225  
make sure that the number is different, in the "display instructions" window thing, look where it says "number" it will say zero, make the first part of the convo number 0 and the second part number 1
posted 11-24-03 01:44 AM CT (US)     31 / 225  
Tanneur:
For the forbidden zone - Use the Kill Object effect.

Warn players creatively of the danger through messages (Objectives, Hints, and Scouts), then creatively kill them with an event scene; ambush, explosion, rock slide, flood, stampede, or my favorite carbon monoxide.

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk
posted 11-24-03 02:20 PM CT (US)     32 / 225  
Yeah Ana maybe they were revving their car in the garage again. That's no good...

As for the chat triggers, here's some basic knowledge for you: In the "time" box (or something like that), put the number of seconds you want the instructions to display, and then in the "list order" (or something like that), you'll put either 0, 1, or 2. 0 displays at the top, & the others below. You can display those three chats at the sametime, but if you put the same numbers, or say 0 and 3, only the last will display. As for multiple triggers showing instructions, with your new knowledge you should know that if one is set to 0 and the other to 1, they will both propperly display. However, I like to use a more complicated method that involves turning "off" all the triggers after the first one, and using the "activate trigger" effect to chain them together. This is a standard RPG style trigger setup, where you have the condition set to "object selected" (the object you want to talk to) and the first effect will display his chat, and the second effect will activate the next trigger, if you want the person to say more than one thing. However, remember that you already have the unit selected, so you can't set the next trigger's condition to "object selected", otherwise the condition will be met as soon as it is activated, and your first trigger will barely have time to display instructions before the second trigger displays instructions on top of it. There are three ways to fix this. 1- set the chat of the second trigger to an order number other than the one the first is, but this still defeats the purpose of multiple triggers, so this is pointless. What you could do though, is add a second condition to the second trigger, and make it a timer, so that if the player still has the unit selected after a certain period of time, he says something else... 2- Set two effects to "change ownership" of the talking unit to player one, and then back to the player it used to be. This will "de select" the unit, so the next trigger won't go off. (You might have to set a 1 or 2 second timer condition to the next trigger, if I recall correctly). This way you can click through a chat really fast if you've already heard what they say... 3- Well actually this is not a solution, but I had to give it a plug anyway My chat trigger article at DGDN

And phil's situation does present a problem. Kill object would be kind of the caveman method, but what about if you made some special effects of the person drowning? That might do just as well. I'd love to see a "Gyda's challenge throw him to the fishes kind of thing" that could happen over and over on command... Idea?

[This message has been edited by crasher (edited 11-24-2003 @ 02:24 PM).]

posted 11-26-03 11:59 PM CT (US)     33 / 225  
Uhm...Syntax error?I can't post my game cuz of a SYNTAX ERROR!? a simple....SYNTAX ERROR!?!?!?!?

What's a syntax error?How do i get through it?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
posted 11-27-03 10:50 AM CT (US)     34 / 225  
I made one of these once that did great. Then I wen't to camp and reviving it didn't help when I got back.

You want fries with that?
posted 11-27-03 03:08 PM CT (US)     35 / 225  
I've always wondered what a SYNTAX ERROR was...
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » How To: Anything
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames