You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Batman Adam West And His Campaign -- Am I The Only Person to Notice?
posted 02-03-04 04:14 AM CT (US)   
Let's talk for a moment about AoKH's latest problem-child, Batman Adam West. He's banned now, of course, but I noticed something very odd about his Quest For The Golden Sword campaign.

While I was playing (or more aptly, struggling) through it, I noticed something strange about the map. In the second scenario, the map is exactly the same as the ES Battle of the Conquerors scenario, Tours! Really, type marco polo and you'll see. The space occupied by the enemy city is where the city of Tours was, and there is deleted farm-terrain where the farms the Muslims ravaged to the south. I looked through the other maps -- they were also taken from ES campaigns, too!

Doesn't this strike anyone as a little odd? How did he use the map from the ES scenario? AFAIK, there is no way, except for some highly elaborate (and illegal) reverse hacking. And from what I've seen, BAW wasn't exactly a whiz-kid.

An explanation would be appreciated.

Replies:
posted 02-03-04 05:20 AM CT (US)     1 / 19  
You can extract any scenario from any campaign, including ES campigns using one of the "campaign managers" at the blacksmith.
posted 02-03-04 07:31 AM CT (US)     2 / 19  
Thanks for the heads up Lord_Fadawah.

Did he only use the map? What about triggers, buildings, units, scenes?

I will look into it tonight.

posted 02-03-04 08:14 AM CT (US)     3 / 19  
He simply had a campaign extracter (sp?).
posted 02-03-04 08:23 AM CT (US)     4 / 19  
I believe that in one of the scenarios, the hints are from some ES campaign, as well.

"The most important thing to do in your life, is to not interfere with somebody else's life." - Zappa
posted 02-03-04 08:54 AM CT (US)     5 / 19  
Yeah. In his last scenario, he was careless enough to leave the instructions for Tours there...

Not that we wouldn't notice anyways...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
posted 02-03-04 11:02 AM CT (US)     6 / 19  
Yes this is clearly an altered version of at least two ES scenarios, although I can't remember which one's. The messages sections of these even have the string table numbers for the language file. I doubt he knew the correct numbers to input, or he was incredibly lucky on several occasions!
posted 02-03-04 11:23 AM CT (US)     7 / 19  
Nice... i'll play it. It's illegal to 'use' ES scenarios (with including in credits AND without)?

Who needs a sig, anyway.
posted 02-03-04 12:25 PM CT (US)     8 / 19  
I am still in the office.

Did he give credit? Anything mentions that it is an altered ES campaign?

I will download and remove the file later if there is enough evidence.

Hi Marshal Gandalf

It is not the first case of a designer who uploads an altered ES campaign. Credit was never given and the files were removed. In general it is not a good idea and certainly not creative. If the author gives credit, I fear that I have to read the license agreement.

posted 02-03-04 01:35 PM CT (US)     9 / 19  
Yes, I noticed this when he uploaded this in relation to the campaign contest. He left the hints and/or scouts in as well, and left much of the map design intact for at least two of his scenarios. The third seems familiar but I can't place it.
posted 02-03-04 03:45 PM CT (US)     10 / 19  
The second scenario is exactly Tours (732) from the mini map. I saw the others also, not worth investigating. He changed parts of the map for the worse, but left some original messages.

Credit? On the contrary.

The Read Me:

"hello there, this is Batman Adam West, Th Vikings Invade Cadiz is first,
Shipwrecked in britain is second, and in denmark is third and final.

be carefull with your heros.

I created this, but i needed modrocker to submit it, because i couldn't figure out how."

Quoted from read me Quest for the Golden Sword:

I created this

File removed!

Please close, thread fulfilled its purpose and thanks go to Lord_Fadawah.

posted 02-03-04 03:55 PM CT (US)     11 / 19  
Nooooooooooo

My review is gone.

~ INNUEDO ALERT ~
posted 02-03-04 03:58 PM CT (US)     12 / 19  
Sorry, I know how that feels.
posted 02-03-04 04:07 PM CT (US)     13 / 19  
*dances in the closed thread*

Well... thanks for response. (I think, that Tanneur got angry....)

Who needs a sig, anyway.
posted 02-03-04 04:51 PM CT (US)     14 / 19  

Quote:

I think, that Tanneur got angry.

Well, yes, not because he used an ES scenario, not because there was no credit given and not because he wrote "I created this", but because he submitted the file to the

CAMPAIGN CONTEST

posted 02-03-04 04:54 PM CT (US)     15 / 19  
Is this locked? Doesn't seem to be.
Anyway, his campaign didn't work on my PC. I really would have wanted to see it. That was the same guy who wanted a Stuart Little mod.

But really, he should use something original.

posted 02-03-04 04:55 PM CT (US)     16 / 19  
Why was the fact that he submitted the campaign to the contest 'the straw that broke the camel's back'?

~ INNUEDO ALERT ~
posted 02-03-04 04:59 PM CT (US)     17 / 19  
BAW was a fraud (no, literally!)!! Gee what a surprise (sarcastic)!
posted 02-03-04 04:59 PM CT (US)     18 / 19  
Yeah, I don't quite get that.
innuedo alert- Was your review the one where you said that "he knows a little about triggers"?

I think he just altered the instructions!!!

posted 02-03-04 04:59 PM CT (US)     19 / 19  

Quote:

*dances in the closed thread*

Don't do that. It's annoying.

Thread served purpose. Closed.

» Your attractive master.
» "Because I before E is a LIE!!!"
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Batman Adam West And His Campaign -- Am I The Only Person to Notice?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames