Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Known bugs in the Macintosh version
posted 08-27-04 08:45 AM CT (US)   
A while back it was suggested that one of us mac users make a thread about the bugs in the mac version of the Scenario Editor. It seemed all were too lazy (myself included), but now I just had 5 minutes and the energy to do it. This is what I know and what I could find by searching the forum.

1. No way to copy/paste a minus sign in to any fields

2. No way to select all or part of a text in any field. You must move the cursor with arrow keys as there is no way to select text or define where you want the cursor to be with the mouse.

3. You can not save a scenario in which you have assigned an AI to a player. When you try to save the scenario, the Editor and game crashes. A file will be created, but you can't open it in the Editor, that crashes the Editor and game too.

4. You can't change placement of instructions (0/1/2 etc.)

5. You can't define how long instructions will remain on screen

6. You can't run modpacks

Please add any you know of.

Current projects:

Undead 2 [Gateways] released
Site http://www.hellstromshive.net/UndeadHome.html

• Undead 1 [Resurrection] 99% done

[This message has been edited by aka the Pilot (edited 08-27-2004 @ 05:51 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-27-04 09:24 AM CT (US)     1 / 16  

Quote:

3. You can not save a scenario in which you have assigned an AI to a player. The game will crash every time.

I don't have a Mac, but there might be a solution to this one. In the game directory there's a folder called "Learn" when saving the scenario, I suspect that a file is also saved to this folder. If you delete then new file in the learn folder, it should work ok. It's only a theory, but someone with a Mac might want to give it a try.

posted 08-27-04 05:34 PM CT (US)     2 / 16  
And dont we all just hate the fact.......(crying)waaaaaa the c.c.computer dosent LIKE ME!!!!WAAAA!!!!!!!

I got way to much time on my hands

•L• CacTus
posted 08-27-04 05:50 PM CT (US)     3 / 16  
Hmm, perhaps I phrased it badly...

"3. You can not save a scenario in which you have assigned an AI to a player. The game will crash every time."

Should have said:

3. You can not save a scenario in which you have assigned an AI to a player. When you try to save the scenario, the Editor and game crashes. A file will be created, but you can't open it in the Editor, that crashes the Editor and game too.

@Berserker: Maybe your response was based on my badly phrased input anyway, but... I have two files in the learn folder, with the suffix .uh, one is named after my gaming name, the other is called default. I tried removing them and saving an AI assigned player scenario, but had the crash as usual. There do not seem to be any new files created there when I save a scenario. Even if there were, I couldn't possibly delete them before saving the scenario (they wouldn't be there yet), and saving (which would produce the file to be deleted) is what causes the crash... Catch 22.

Current projects:

posted 08-28-04 09:59 AM CT (US)     4 / 16  
Oh well, it was worth a try. Yes I did base the theory on what you said originally, not having a Mac I wasn't sure when the crash occurred.
posted 08-28-04 04:10 PM CT (US)     5 / 16  
1, 2, 4, 5 are now possible with AOKTS if someone wants to get off their butt and compile it for a Mac. If you wanna do that, aka, talk to me on ICQ: 305429855.

3 will be possible soon.

6 will never be possible.

Creator of the AOK Trigger Studio, a work not in progress.
Wise men still seek Him.
posted 08-28-04 05:23 PM CT (US)     6 / 16  
DiGiT, if I could, I would. However, I haven't the slightest idea how to.
I have some very basic scripting capabilities and can think logically, but I am assuming that isn't enough to compile your program for the mac.

Or is it a matter of dumping it in to the "compiler" at one end and grabbing what comes out of the other?

Current projects:

posted 08-28-04 07:14 PM CT (US)     7 / 16  
Hell. I just looked on developer.apple.com and it appears that the scenario loading/saving is the only part of the program that will be portable. Maybe I'll try to buy an old Mac off my Spanish teacher? :-S

Edit: Actually, looking around the site a bit more, I just might be able to change the code over here without a Mac. I just probably won't be able to compile to test it.

So do you want me to use the "Classic" SDK so you'll be able to run it below X or is everybody using X these days?

Wise men still seek Him.

[This message has been edited by DiGiT (edited 08-28-2004 @ 07:20 PM).]

posted 08-29-04 04:29 AM CT (US)     8 / 16  
Well, most use OSX I suppose. Since I have an "old world" mac that can't run OSX (well, actually it could, but most of my periphery stuff, like UW-SCSI drive, won't work with OSX, and OSX would be slow on it), I run OS 9.1.

But then, I am one of those people who use things until they die. My comp satisfies my needs, so I won't buy a new one just because it's faster (although I will have to in the next two years or so, in order not to completely lose touch with new technology/software)

You should probably do it for OSX if you want to reach more people with it.

Current projects:

posted 08-29-04 09:51 AM CT (US)     9 / 16  
Dang, you still run 9.1? Get a new computer! You can find decent used computers that can run OSX with no porblems.

/// (¬, (¯\ (¯¹ ¯)¯ (¯) )¬,
\\\ ==============
/// AoKH Forumer

posted 08-29-04 11:53 AM CT (US)     10 / 16  
OK. It seems I can't even download the old version from the apple site without a huge amount of mucking around. Now to see if I can actually make something useful...

Edit: OK, nevermind, can't even get the SDK in a format readable on a Win PC. I dislike Apple.

Wise men still seek Him.

[This message has been edited by DiGiT (edited 08-29-2004 @ 11:56 AM).]

posted 08-29-04 04:15 PM CT (US)     11 / 16  
@Aka the Pilot

You missed one:

7. You cannot enter more than about 32 characters into a text field.

posted 08-29-04 06:10 PM CT (US)     12 / 16  
Thanks Kaidu, I simply forgot that one, but you have raised an interesting question:

I can enter 50 characters in the Send Chat and Display Instructions effects, and you say 32... did you count the spaces as well (they count as characters)?

Any other mac users with different experiences with character number limitations?

@Raptor: I use a G5 at work, so it's not like I don't know the merits of OSX, but as I explained, at home I simply don't need it.
I guess it's part of my philosophy of life: I won't trash an old computer when it still runs perfectly and fulfills my needs. I run a PPC 7300/200 upgraded to a G4/400, with a UW-SCSI hard drive (very fast), new graphic-card and USB/Firewire added over the years.
This comp is 7 years old and going strong. Really the one drawback is the OSX incompatibility. On the other hand, OS 9.1 is one of the stablest systems ever made. It simply never crashes, ever. I can't say that about OSX (not to mention Windows, with which I have also worked often enough over the years...).

Current projects:

posted 08-30-04 04:58 PM CT (US)     13 / 16  
I just checked, and I can also enter 50 characters.
I'd noticed this a couple of months ago, a just wasn't remembering it correctly.
However, on a related note, only the last 25-35 characters of the trigger description show up in the instructions (yes, it really is a range, not a fixed limit).
posted 08-30-04 11:45 PM CT (US)     14 / 16  
No. Ranges are most definitely not possible in programming. Are you sure you're counting spaces correctly?

Wise men still seek Him.
posted 08-31-04 03:52 PM CT (US)     15 / 16  
Positive.
Just to be sure, I just tried two descriptions in the editor:

In the first test,
"this is a test this is only a test of the trigger description field." (68 characters)
was truncated to:
"the trigger description field." (30 characters)

In the second test,
"1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4." (68 characters)
was truncated to:
"8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4." (34 characters)

And no, there were no leading spaces.

posted 08-31-04 05:17 PM CT (US)     16 / 16  
Oh ok, I can see how that is possible now. I read your post as if it truncated the strings, but it's actually just skipping the first part. Since that's weird in itself, I'm sure it's just plain weird code doing it.

Wise men still seek Him.
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Known bugs in the Macintosh version
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames