You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Manuscripts - Pirates, Natives, Smugglers, British Imperialism, etc.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 03-01-07 10:52 PM CT (US)   

The Manuscripts
By Colosseum

Project Website, visit for more information

I've posted yet another topic. This time, however, I'm nearing completion. It's within reach. About an hour or so of work left to do on the main story, and then a few more on adding in custom tweaks and the like.

Anyways, if you haven't heard, this is the first campaign of its type. Set in 1730, you play as Captain William Marbury of His Majesty's Royal Navy. According to some ancient wisdom that the Governor has found out about, there exists some ancient manuscripts detailing the hiding place of an extensive treasure. Being the greedy bureaucrat that he is, the Governor of New Chaseford (the British city on the island), commands you to find these documents so the British can finance their war against the French, pirates and smugglers in the area. Aren't you excited? Now you get to go kick ass all over a giant tropical map, killing jaguars, natives, pirates, and anything else that gets in your way. Interact with the local pirate colony, the smuggler's organization, a strange Satanic cult, and your everyday "indigenous peoples of the Caribbean" (natives). The campaign features a soundtrack from Akella/Bethesda's Pirates of the Caribbean PC RPG game, suitably fitting for the environment.

Some acclaim:

Quoted from Mashek:

The map is beautiful, one of the best island themes I have seen. I can sense the humidity of the jungle, the surf lapping the bays and the life of the city and in the pirate and native bases. The music is awesome, atmospheric, and the story is fun.

Quoted from Ana:

This project deserves completing Colo!

Anyways, since none of you have the attention span required to read this, here's some screenshots. More to come.

Mapshots:
New Chaseford Island (Mapshot)
Shark's Cove - Cut to save file-size
Shark's Cove (Minimized Mapshot) - Under Construction

Screenshots:
New Chaseford
New Chaseford Port
Native Island, Revamped
Native Village
Crab Cay (Pirate Port)
Pirate Fort
Smuggler's Village

Playtester(s):

Mashek
Julius999
Scud

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. When will this be released?
I'm aiming for sometime next week. Probably won't happen though, as I have a strange propensity for stupid shit to happen right when I'm ready to publish something. We'll see.

2. Will you be using mods?
Negative. I can't stand mods, as I think they cut down on the quality of the work. I appreciate it when people actually spend some time manipulating the default buildings to look 1730s-ish (pretty difficult), and I wouldn't want to make you folks download some worthless mod because I like the graphical enhancement.

Let me make this more clear: I have tons of respect for modders. Anyone willing enough to sit at their computer and play around in Photoshop to make a building look different has more resolve than I do. However, I'd rather use the default building sets to make my pirate/British/native towns, without any "help" from a pre-modded building set. And I like compatibility, since most people wouldn't play a campaign that runs purely on mods.

3. What about all the hex-editor tricks (aka, "invisible flying bananas")?
Negative. As stated before, I like the game in its untouched state. This does not mean I'm too lazy to work with these new enhancements, I just prefer a campaign that everyone can play without edited language files and such. If you've got a problem with this, feel free to exercise your right not to play my campaign.

4. Playtesters?
If I deem you competent enough, I'll email you.

5. Download size?
I'm aiming for something reasonable and under 10 MB. The sound files are in different downloads to conserve my bandwidth and your sanity. Download them at your own pleasure.

6. Number of scenarios?
I've got a prologue, two playable scenarios, and I'm debating whether or not to do an epilogue. We'll see.

7. Why the hell should I download this? Aren't other campaigns like "Nineteen Years" and "Piece by Piece" better than this?
Probably. I made this for my own amusement. Keep in mind that to all my knowledge, I've never seen a good pirate campaign before. Most scenarios these days are the cookie-cutter "Orcs vs. Humans" with magical ponies and wizards and all that worthless nonsense.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Colo the Great (edited 03-26-2007 @ 05:02 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03-01-07 11:00 PM CT (US)     1 / 73  
1. Finally this is done.
2. Flying invisible bananas = roflcakes quote.
3. Mapshot link doesn't work.

Sounds fun, Colo.

posted 03-01-07 11:04 PM CT (US)     2 / 73  
It's not done. I'm just trying to get some people interested before I release.

Mapshot

posted 03-01-07 11:16 PM CT (US)     3 / 73  
That map shot looks very nice Colo, great work.

The Wall

coming soon
posted 03-02-07 00:27 AM CT (US)     4 / 73  
Looks good, I like the storyline. Although I don't fully agree with your attitudes on modding, in it being lazy to mod. If you make a mod yourself, and make the graphics it is 100x harder than using the default graphics.

And am I deemed worthy to playtest the mighty scenario of...greatness?

me

[This message has been edited by Impeached (edited 03-02-2007 @ 00:30 AM).]

posted 03-02-07 06:58 AM CT (US)     5 / 73  
Looking good. This could be one of the better projects to be released in early 2007, alongside PbP and Nineteen Years, if Dave keeps his deadline short.
Cant playtest (and I doubt you'd deem me competent ) but good luck anyway.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 03-02-07 07:43 AM CT (US)     6 / 73  

Quote:

Although I don't fully agree with your attitudes on modding, in it being lazy to mod. If you make a mod yourself, and make the graphics it is 100x harder than using the default graphics.

I wasn't calling it lazy to make mods. I was just saying that I'd rather have the ingenuity to make things out of the default unit sets.
posted 03-02-07 09:30 AM CT (US)     7 / 73  
I just finished the other scenario, Colo and I must say it is very good. I love the characterisation and the story is very interesting, especially with the Satanic cult and Alistair running off. Can't wait to get my hands on the full version.

I actually encountered a few problems during play, but it's bloody late so I'll post 'em later.

posted 03-02-07 09:39 AM CT (US)     8 / 73  
By all means, report all problems. This is just an alpha build, and it's a bit hard to test things by yourself, especially when you know what to do/where to go/etc.

Once I've done the storyline, I'll be adding in some better conversation functionalities, such as the way Dave did with Bouren (when you select your characters, they rapidly change ownership to deselect, so you can't move them). I've kept my triggers organized, though, so I've got this and a lot of other stuff planned for completion after I finish the storyline. Best thing's that I only have to trigger one or two sequences of narration. It's probably going to be a cliffhanger ending.

[This message has been edited by Colo the Great (edited 03-02-2007 @ 09:41 AM).]

posted 03-02-07 11:23 AM CT (US)     9 / 73  
Looks original, whih is a big plus for any campaign. Good luck.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 03-02-07 11:26 AM CT (US)     10 / 73  
Glad this coming along at long last, and if I am "competent enough", you can email me if you wish.

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
"Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia

[This message has been edited by Scud (edited 03-02-2007 @ 11:26 AM).]

posted 03-02-07 01:24 PM CT (US)     11 / 73  
The first competence test is that you post your email if you're looking to playtest. :P
posted 03-02-07 01:29 PM CT (US)     12 / 73  
lookes nice nioce screen
posted 03-02-07 01:57 PM CT (US)     13 / 73  
Well, I'm clearly not competent enough, I never did manage to download from that link in the other thread. But if for some reason you make the file publicly available again I'll test for you.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
posted 03-02-07 02:11 PM CT (US)     14 / 73  

Quote:

The first competence test is that you post your email if you're looking to playtest. :P

It's in my profile.........and I am on your MSN contacts and speak to you every so often!

"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
posted 03-02-07 08:45 PM CT (US)     15 / 73  
Julius, I'd say you're competent enough.

Scud, Julius, Mashek, give me your emails.

posted 03-03-07 07:56 AM CT (US)     16 / 73  
You see why I have to keep making threads? No matter what I say in the title, they die within a week, to be replaced by your typical cookie-cutter campaign threads that reappear every week.
posted 03-03-07 08:15 AM CT (US)     17 / 73  
Colo, project threads do sink from time to time, but they do go up and get active when you do more work, e.g: new screenshots, demos, etc.

It is very rare for a project thread to stay up on the first page for weeks on the go, normally they go through spouts of activity, and then fall.

But as playtester, don't worry, I'll contact you here about anything I find wrong/right with your scenario, so your beloved thread does not die.

Heres my email:
alex_scudman2004@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by Scud (edited 03-03-2007 @ 08:17 AM).]

posted 03-03-07 09:34 AM CT (US)     18 / 73  
My email is julius749@yahoo.com

Is there a particular deadline for the report? I have a fairly hectic week, but after that I should be ok.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
posted 03-03-07 04:50 PM CT (US)     19 / 73  
Here's my email,

Yenbena@hotmail.com

Do we report to you via email or through this thread to keep it active?

[This message has been edited by Mashek (edited 03-03-2007 @ 04:56 PM).]

posted 03-03-07 06:28 PM CT (US)     20 / 73  
Hey Colo,

Sorry if you wanted this by email, but you are yet to give me it. Anyway these are just some remarks on bugs and creativity on the ‘Manuscripts’ version posted at the forums.

-=B U G S=-

After buying a ship, the shipwright said “Thank you for your business senhor!” I am no Spanish expert but I think it should be ‘senor’, with that weird squiggly line above the o.

After finishing the game I marco / polo and had a look around. The reef is nice, but issues with the sea towers, albeit minor issues. One of the sea towers, particularly the one on the far right was called a “reef Watchtower”. However, the other one (or two) there had not yet been renamed, still called sea tower. There was then the lone demolition ship to the far left of the reef. The other demolition ships in the centre of the island were called canoes, but this ship to the far left hadn’t yet been renamed to that, still called demolition ship.

There was the ship near the reef called OMTBO. It looks like a shipwreck, and if it is, should be renamed to shipwreck.

An elite plumed archer and eagle warrior in the reef have not been renamed to ‘Native’.

Three more natives are yet to be renamed to the far left of the map, standing above a pool.

Two more sea towers at the pirates cove (Cray Cay) have not been renamed. This maybe on purpose, just letting you know.

If one decides to buy the HMS Pucelle then they can bombard the Animists. Also, when I went past with the transport, having bought that instead of the gun ship, I saw the Animists. It is possible that the player might try to kill them just to be a smart arse, or even with the gun ship kill them. I would recommend to use, and to be honest I’m not all too sure how to use it, the invisibility cloak by newIdea, which I think disappears the unit at whatever location and then can be brought to position when the time comes. Not only would this save you from having someone kill the Animists, but it also looks better too. Not only would the ritual site be empty, but suddenly full of three red-cloaked men when you have to go over there. This would make it all mysterious like for the player. It cleans things up a bit too.

Just to the left of the Animists are two demolition ships. Both should be renamed to canoe if that is what you want for all demolition ships.

Not a bug, but the jaguars are really harmless. I would suggest to give them a tab more Hp and maybe 10 Ap to make them strong in packs. This would force the player to go back to the monks in the city for healing.

This is really nothing at all, but near Father Renard is a tab of grass 1, sitting against the water and right under the dock. I would recommend to either remove it with water or to cover it with more road. As I said it is nothing at all, but looks a bit odd.

One thing is Zevenwolder. I am not sure if this is meant to be Zevenwonder?

The priest in the native camp should probably be called a ‘Shaman’.

Last bug I encountered, you forgot to deactivate the objective telling us to go to the place where the Animists do their rituals.

-=R E G A R D I N G C R E A T I V I T Y=-

The creativity of your scenario is simply great (Now excuse me while I blabber). I love the sounds and music, how whenever you get an objective or item a sound plays, which is cool. It reminds me of some old RPG game I played many years ago. I love the ship names, Ajax, Spartiate, Pucelle, Zevenwolder and Squirrel... All awesome. The ability to choose from different ships is great, though I don't see the point in Pucelle which is slow and a little pointless if what you are going to do is travel by land.

The objectives are great. I loved the quest book, the ships and inventory sections. I particularly liked the detail put there when you get a ship, "HMS Surprise, No guns, Unlimbered, 119 Souls..." Such detail goes a long way to feeling more realistic and within that time and world.

I liked how place names appeared, like Cray Cay, Leviathan Cliffs, Pirate Fort… all added so much more realism and atmosphere to an already very good scenario.

The trade carts and cogs were awesome, continuously trading between the pirates, smugglers and natives. Very creative and it adds so much more detail to the game. Things are actually happening in the background, not everyone or everything just standing around.

I liked the pirate fort, especially with the renamed units within, all pirates with their own names. The smuggler's lair is great, and I liked the detail that went into the smuggled goods and 'Watchful Native'.

The ability to go into watch towers to talk to characters is great, and though maybe only a minor thing for some people, a creative and enjoyable trick nonetheless.

Regarding characters I liked them all. They are actually interesting and decently thought up, good work. I like how some have an attitude, such as de Masse, who seems just about fed up with the mission of his to eliminate the Animists. The smuggler Isenbrandt made me laugh with his "Who the hell are you?" attitude and how the Animists threaten to kill him if he doesn't cooperate -that was funny too.

Lastly, who here doesn't think that the Animists are easily the most entertaining guys in the whole of the game?! I loved the red cloaked figures with the big black crosses, which really add to their "cultish" feel. How they talk, and with the teacher, reminds me of these villains from a comic book or something. How you have *quietly* or *chuckles* beside dialogue is awesome as it gives us a sense of how they talk. It really puts it into character and gives the little pixelated figures some life. We better be seeing more Animists later on! Easily the greatest kind of villains so far in your game. However this Garcialo (sp?) character seems like a sneaky little bugger, and so I am looking forward to seeing more of him.

Anyway very good game so far. I hope that it gets bigger and bigger as we go, because I am looking for some more fun and creative gameplay.

I look forward to the next version, by which I will certainly go through things more.

EDIT: One more thing, the game seemed to have ended straight after I was told to go to the pirate cove to find Alistair. Is this correct, or a bug?

[This message has been edited by Mashek (edited 03-03-2007 @ 06:48 PM).]

posted 03-03-07 09:09 PM CT (US)     21 / 73  
Yes, the alpha ends when you're tasked to find Alistair.

To clear some things up:

1. Don't worry about non-renamed units: that will be standardized and fixed after I make the main storyline. I'm well aware of all the unnamed units.

2. The shipwright is Portuguese. I think (but I'm not quite sure), that "senhor" is their way of saying "senor". That's what they say in the Pirates of the Caribbean PC game, so I just figured it was correct.

3. Objective issues have been fixed.

4. Ship-name issues are addressed in #1.

5. Post here to keep the thread active.

6. Due to my extended absence, can you link me to newIdea's invisibility cloak? This sounds great, and I was wondering what to do with the Pucelle being able to find the Animists in the first place.

Mashek, you're truly the best reviewer I've ever seen... thanks! I'll be emailing you a beta version with the storyline complete when time permits.

Julius and Scud: When I get a working version done, I'll send it to you guys as well. Thanks!

posted 03-03-07 09:12 PM CT (US)     22 / 73  
So I guess this means I'm not deemed worthy to playtest? Oh well, I guess that's the way the ball bounces.

Well..Just incase, my e-mail is atjoslin@earthlink.net.

me
posted 03-03-07 09:19 PM CT (US)     23 / 73  
No, you just didn't give me your email in time. I'll send it out to you if you promise to actually give feedback.
posted 03-04-07 00:56 AM CT (US)     24 / 73  
Of course I'll give feedback, what kind of person do you think I am?

Example of my usual feedback:
"OMG taht wpwndd1"

me

[This message has been edited by Impeached (edited 03-04-2007 @ 01:01 AM).]

posted 03-04-07 06:00 AM CT (US)     25 / 73  

Quote:

Julius and Scud: When I get a working version done, I'll send it to you guys as well. Thanks!

Good good, looking forward to it.

posted 03-05-07 07:50 AM CT (US)     26 / 73  
Here is the link to newIdea's Invisibility Cloak. Should be of some help.

[This message has been edited by Mashek (edited 03-05-2007 @ 07:53 AM).]

posted 03-05-07 01:43 PM CT (US)     27 / 73  
Well, unfortunately... AoKTC crashes whenever I try to open my scenario file. Oh well. I'll fix it before the final release, which is looking imminent.

Pisses me off that all these new people expect a scenario to include all of newIdea's new tricks. Whatever happened to tricks that were accomplishable using only the AoK editor?

posted 03-05-07 01:54 PM CT (US)     28 / 73  
They aren't as "cool" or "hot" as the new trick you can make with AOKTS. I prefer the old school trick, even though I use AOKTS once in a while, mostly when I try to make blood maps which mostlt ends in disaster

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 03-05-07 02:03 PM CT (US)     29 / 73  

Quote:

Whatever happened to tricks that were accomplishable using only the AoK editor?

I'm still keeping it old school - word.

posted 03-06-07 06:20 AM CT (US)     30 / 73  

Quote:

Pisses me off that all these new people expect a scenario to include all of newIdea's new tricks. Whatever happened to tricks that were accomplishable using only the AoK editor?

I don't expect you to use new tricks, just that I am giving you the only solution that I can think of for the Animists. Perhaps you could use that transport trick where the units appear out of nowhere? From this they could be tasked to position when the time comes. This of course is accomplishable in the editor, but you would need to have the transport somewhere out of sight so that player 1 could not find it.

Also I know how you feel. I haven't yet used any of those hi tech programs for any of my scenarios and it will probably stay that way, mainly because these days I am too lazy to do it. I work fine enough using things only from the editor.

[This message has been edited by Mashek (edited 03-06-2007 @ 06:23 AM).]

posted 03-06-07 07:35 AM CT (US)     31 / 73  
I've got the SAT coming up this week, so don't expect any real work on the scenario for a while... I've been working on a way to fix the issue with the Animists, and I'm considering removing the Pucelle entirely, since it really serves no purpose.
posted 03-06-07 11:06 AM CT (US)     32 / 73  

Quote:

I'm still keeping it old school - word.

I'm still keeping it old schoollazy - word.

me

[This message has been edited by Impeached (edited 03-06-2007 @ 11:07 AM).]

posted 03-06-07 04:22 PM CT (US)     33 / 73  
Good news: I've got a bit of time today, and I think I'll be wrapping up the storyline for the first scenario. More to come.
posted 03-06-07 04:54 PM CT (US)     34 / 73  
OK, Mashek, Scud and Julius, check your emails.

Impeached, I'll get you a working copy after I've fixed the bugs these three report.

posted 03-06-07 05:06 PM CT (US)     35 / 73  
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The Manuscripts - Pirates, Natives, Smugglers, British Imperialism, etc.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames