Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Strange error
posted 12-17-07 01:13 PM CT (US)   
It seems impossible to use the Task effect (with area selection) to get only Man-at-Arms (or only Light Cavalry) units that player 1 has bought during the game.

The problem seem to be that the game editor counts an bought Man-at-Arm as an militia, and a bought Light Cavalry as an Scout Cavalry.

I tryed to reinstall the game twice and erase all old DATA-files, but still no effect.

Anyone else who have similar experience?

[This message has been edited by John_G (edited 12-20-2007 @ 10:30 AM).]

Replies:
posted 12-17-07 02:00 PM CT (US)     1 / 22  
IMO reinstalling the game probably won't fix it. Neither will erasing the data files... I'm pretty sure those contain unit information only.

Have you set it to whatever player it should be? What is the condition?

It's not impossible to task created units, I've done it before using spawn points to keep it from being surrounded, and I've seen it done in multiple blood scenarios.

_______
|Warlord|
Owner of post 12345 in the New Splash Splash
Member of Blackforest Studios

[This message has been edited by Warlord002 (edited 12-17-2007 @ 02:01 PM).]

posted 12-17-07 02:49 PM CT (US)     2 / 22  
@ Warlord002

I created a new scenario with only 2 Triggers to try to fix this error. The first trigger goes like this:

Trigger name: "0"
Condition: Select something (in this case a house)
Effect: Task (area selection where created units will be) player 1 "man-at-arms" unit to a specefic place.

Second trigger is built the same:

Trigger name: "1"
Condition: Select something (in this case an another house)
Effect: Task (area selection where created units will be) player 1 "Spearman" unit to a specefic place.

The second trigger (named "1") works well, but the first (named "0") dont. I also noticed that "Light Cavalry" canīt either be tasked if the unit is bought during game.

[This message has been edited by John_G (edited 12-20-2007 @ 10:08 AM).]

posted 12-17-07 03:05 PM CT (US)     3 / 22  
You're sure the game has recognised the selection area? Does it take you there when you click "go to area"?
posted 12-17-07 03:19 PM CT (US)     4 / 22  
@ Lord_Fadawah

Yep, the selected area condition works. My 2 triggers works on other unit like Spearman, Archers, and Skirmishers. But not on Man-at-Arms or Light Cavalry.

AOC seems to forget to registrate that my bought man-at-arms no longer are militias... Have you guys the same error?

[This message has been edited by John_G (edited 12-20-2007 @ 10:07 AM).]

posted 12-17-07 03:20 PM CT (US)     5 / 22  
Don't set a specific unit, that way whether the unit is a militia, man-at-arms or longswordsman. The unit should depend on which age the player is set to, for instance imperial should give you a longswordsman. The age should be set to castle age if you want a man at arms, because all the technologies from the previous age are researched.

_______
|Warlord|
posted 12-17-07 03:25 PM CT (US)     6 / 22  
Yea I know. I have set player 1 starting age to Castle age, but my Man-at-Arms that I bought still seem to be counted as Militia men.

I also built a Town Hall which I advanced into Castle age, and then produced Man-at-Arms, ,but still not working.

[This message has been edited by John_G (edited 12-20-2007 @ 09:35 AM).]

posted 12-17-07 03:42 PM CT (US)     7 / 22  
If you just set Player 1, and no specific unit then it should work whether the units are counted as militia or not. Either that or you may have to set the trigger to loop. This worked for me:

Trigger 0: Starting State: On, Looping: Off
Condition 0: Select object: house
Effect 0: Create object: man-at-arms, Area: Anywhere near the house.
Effect 1: Activate Trigger: Trigger 1

Trigger 1: Starting State: Off, Looping: On
Condition 0: Timer: 1
Effect 0: Task object: Source Player: Player 1, Object: None, Area: Wherever the unit was created, Location: Where you want them to go

Hopefully this will work.

_______
|Warlord|

[This message has been edited by Warlord002 (edited 12-17-2007 @ 03:49 PM).]

posted 12-17-07 04:04 PM CT (US)     8 / 22  
Oh, when I wrote "created unit" I meant units player 1 bought during the game from a barrack or a stable.

Iīm sure the Trigger you wrote will work, because it creates a unit with a trigger. I also tryed that and it worked. But it seems to be different with unitīs the players have purchased from a building (for exampel a Man-at-arm in a barrack or a Light Cavalry in a stable).

What I wanted to do was to create a Trigger that started when players 1 had bought 25 Light Cavalry. The problem was that the game didnt count any Light Cavalry at all, although I bought like 30 of them from a stable.

My recent experiment with a test scenario (the one with the 2 Triggers) tells me that the game seem to count an Light Cavalry, bought in game, as an Scout Cavalry; and a Man-at-Arm as Militia. That is a bit annoying...

[This message has been edited by John_G (edited 12-20-2007 @ 09:53 AM).]

posted 12-17-07 05:50 PM CT (US)     9 / 22  
Are you trying to task your unit or enemy units? 'cause I believe they regain control once they leave the set area. Yours should work though.
posted 12-17-07 09:17 PM CT (US)     10 / 22  
@ Jas the Mace1

Iīm trying to Task player 1 unitīs

[This message has been edited by John_G (edited 12-18-2007 @ 09:00 AM).]

posted 12-18-07 06:20 AM CT (US)     11 / 22  
Are you trying to task your unit or enemy units? 'cause I believe they regain control once they leave the set area. Yours should work though.
@ Jas_mace

Yes, when you have a trigger that check an area and then tasks a unit to another location, then it will only move the unit when the unit is in the area.

On the other hand, when not in the area, the player whether its enemy or human player, can just move around freely. But when you step in the area (again) the unit will be moved to the location.

Indeed. Above is to clarify and accepting the theory of Jas_mace idea

(_(_(_ World of Warcraft _)_)_)
(_(_(_(_(_( = [|]Level: 85 Pierce [|] = )_)_)_)_)_)
(_(_(_(_(_(_(_(_( = [|] Class: Warrior[|] = )_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)
(_(_(_(_(_(_(_(_( = [|]Race: Human [|] = )_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)
(_(_(_( = WizardBoy: | Proud member of AOK = Click to add population = )_)_)_)

[This message has been edited by WizarDBoy (edited 12-18-2007 @ 06:25 AM).]

posted 12-18-07 08:58 AM CT (US)     12 / 22  
@ WizarDBoy
Yep, I know that. But Iīm trying to Task player 1 units, and they are within the selected area.

Hm maby itīs wrong on my game. Can any of you try to Task a Light Cavalry, or Man-at-Arms unit to a specefic position, and se if it works for you? Remember it must be a unit bought by the player (like in a stable or barrack)and not created by a trigger.

_

[This message has been edited by John_G (edited 12-20-2007 @ 09:33 AM).]

posted 12-18-07 12:47 PM CT (US)     13 / 22  
@ John

Try this...

Informative preparation:

Place down a stable on the map. And another unit, so you dont auto lose. Change the amount of players to 1 player, so there are now Players: 1. This means you are the only one on the map. So, you dont need to put down extra unit (for enemy). When ready add these triggers below:

Moving to the trigger section...

trigger0
starting state: yes
loop: yes
condition: object in area: player1: Light cavalry value=1
area: In which area the unit must be to get tasked

effect: task object: player1: Light Cavalry
area: In which area the unit must be to get tasked

Explanation:
This single trigger will check whether there is a light cavalry in the area specified. If it is in the area then it will move the unit which is in the area specified in the task object (this area is the same area you set in the object in area condition.

Further explained:
Why you got both an object in area and use the area of task object?
Can you not just use Task object alone?
Well, because you want to task the units more then just one time. It is better to do a double check to make sure they really are in the area (object in area).

The area of the task object is the area, when the task object effect is activate, where task object moves the unit from. In this way there might also be 1 unit or more units in the area. But as i made the condition, object in area to one, it will only fire if there is one in the area.

Hope that helped

[This message has been edited by WizarDBoy (edited 12-18-2007 @ 01:18 PM).]

posted 12-20-07 09:11 AM CT (US)     14 / 22  
@ WizarDBoy

Thanks, but Iīm not new to this game :P I have checked all my triggers, which is only 2, and I havnt done anything wrong. (Betside my task trigger works on other units, its just Man-at-arms and Scout Cavalry that dosnt work) If you still dont belive me I be happy to send my test scenario over for you to prove it...

My problem still remains: the game seem to count a bought (for example from a barrack or stable) Man-at-Arm as an militia, and a Light Cavalry as an Scout Cavalry. Either its wrong with my game, or this is a annoying error in the game editor...

Oh, and one last thing, I only want to Task Man-at-arms (or Light Cavalry) and not other units. And this Man-at-arms must have been bought during the game (and not created by a trigger). (I have made some changes on my older comment to make this more clear)

[This message has been edited by John_G (edited 12-20-2007 @ 10:29 AM).]

posted 12-20-07 12:05 PM CT (US)     15 / 22  
My problem still remains: the game seem to count a bought (for example from a barrack or stable) Man-at-Arm as an militia, and a Light Cavalry as an Scout Cavalry. Either its wrong with my game, or this is a annoying error in the game editor...

Oh, and one last thing, I only want to Task Man-at-arms (or Light Cavalry) and not other units. And this Man-at-arms must have been bought during the game (and not created by a trigger). (I have made some changes on my older comment to make this more clear)
I see, well, it think i'd better get your sceanrio then.
It must be a small thing i overlooked then. If you like could you send it to: thomas14_koster@hotmai.com ?
I will mail back as soon as possible. Probably within a day

While i still want to give it a chance.. read on:

Well, you do know that you need to make a object in area condition and a task object combination for each different unit you want to task away? So, one for the man at arms, one for the scout cavalry.

But you can change it for a bit to make it just move any unit that comes in the area. By using object in area, value=1 (so only when 1 unit is in the area you task him off) probably you dont want this. If so, then remove this condition, and just use a task object.
Then set ONLY the area location, player and unit type settings. The rest is okay.
You might want to loop the trigger so that once they are in the area they are tasked away to your location.
If that doesnt change anything, then i desperately need to look at your scenario!

My last hope

posted 12-20-07 02:32 PM CT (US)     16 / 22  
@ WizarDBoy

Ah, thanks. Iīve send my test_scenario by E-mail. I hope it will illustrate the problem.
posted 12-22-07 06:31 AM CT (US)     17 / 22  
@ John

Im very sorry. But i tried anything i could. I also got a very good look at your triggers, they appeared to be all right. The editor just dont task them away. The only thing happening is that once you create unit by triggers they can be moved by the task object. But when you create units ingame, that is by creating them from the Stable or Barracks then the units will not be moved.

There is also no work around this. They simply cant remember that the unit are created. But with triggers they can.

So, only you can task units when you use Select object and location options.
(count for units already on map).

The task object will not work when you have a trigger with an effect task object with only a location spot somewhere and an area placed.
(counts for units not on the map, but created at a building eg: barracks, stable).

Im sorry. It isnt possible. You need to think of an alternative of how you want this being done then.
Just then the problem can be solved.

Good luck.

-WizardBoy-

[This message has been edited by WizarDBoy (edited 12-22-2007 @ 06:38 AM).]

posted 12-22-07 08:40 AM CT (US)     18 / 22  
@ WizarDBoy

I found a way around this error for my scenario, but still itīs worth notice this error. This error one may come across in other situations, like if you want to create an trigger that begins when a bought Man-at-Arm (or Light-Cavalry) enters a selected area. Such an trigger wont work, because the game dont seem to count an bought Man-at-arm as an Man-at-arm, but as an militia.
The way around this error is to compromise and instead of asking for an Man-at-Arms ask for a militia (and instead of asking for a Light Cavalry ask for an Scout cavalry), that way one getīs milita men and Man-at_Arms (and maby even Champions). The problem is though that the trigger activates also when an militia enters itīs selected area...

Well anyway, thanks for taking time WizarDBoy, now I understand itīs not my installation of the game that is wrong.

[This message has been edited by John_G (edited 12-22-2007 @ 09:13 AM).]

posted 12-22-07 08:57 AM CT (US)     19 / 22  
I found a way around this error for my scenario, but still itīs worth notice this error. This error one may come across in other situations, like if you want to create an trigger that begins when a bought Man-at-Arm (or Light-Cavalry) enters a selected area. Such an trigger wont work, because the game dont seem to count an bought Man-at-arm as an Man-at-arm, but as an militia.
The way around this error is to compromise and instead of asking for an Man-at-Arms ask for a militia (and instead of asking for a Light Cavalry ask for an Scout cavalry). The problem is though that the trigger activates also when an militia enters itīs selected area...
@ John

I dont know how your triggers could do that. But when i use my triggers they dont move at all. I think i must look back at your triggers, because mine will no move when there is a militia created and tasked, same goes for the scout cavalry. I think there is still hope. If i have a research on your scenario. It isnt possible, the game should not recognise it that you created a unit from a barrack or stable. It yours detected it but as a militia then a slight look at it and a few changes can make the effect still work. But i need to look at the triggers first before given you a sure word.

Just wait for my answer.

posted 12-22-07 09:24 AM CT (US)     20 / 22  
@ WizarDBoy

My way around the problem with tasking Man-at-Arms is not perfect, but will work if one is willingly to compromise and task all kinds of miltia men; which means that all miltia, Man-at-Arms, Long Swordsmen, Two-handed Swordsmen and Champions in that area will come. (The kind of trigger that I made in the Test-Scenario I sent to you, called "Task militia") I dont see any other way around this problem.

[This message has been edited by John_G (edited 12-22-2007 @ 09:30 AM).]

posted 12-22-07 03:02 PM CT (US)     21 / 22  
(The kind of trigger that I made in the Test-Scenario I sent to you, called "Task militia") I dont see any other way around this problem.
I looked at the triggers and concluded that your problem is not to solve. It is a limit. But there is a logic.

Reason why it work:

- You can task units, but only if they are created with triggers.
- You can also task units when you use the Task object trigger effect and set Select object to the unit whos affected by task object, and set location.
Note: This only works on units already on the map

Reason why it not work:

- A unit that is created in game (by means of buying) can not be detected in a object in area trigger. Even worse only the own object and fewer object conditions have effect on units you bought.

Conditions not work on (bought) units:
- object selected
- object in area (you may test if you feel unsure)
- object visible
- object not visible
- own objects (you may test if you feel unsure)
- own fewer objects (you may test if you feel unsure)

Maybe you know this already. But this last thing is to sum a bit up.

posted 12-22-07 03:36 PM CT (US)     22 / 22  
@ WizarDBoy

About the error, just a clarification (in case you misunderstand me), it is fully possible to task (with area selection) most of the created (bought) units. Its only some of them that cant be tasked this way.
The units that seem to be impossible to task with area selection seem to be the sword-serie (Man-at-Arm ,Long Swordsmen, Two-handed Swordman, and champion) and the knight-serie (Light cavalry, Knigts, Paladin). This is because these unitīs, when bought in game, dont seem be counted as their real technology state, but as their first and old state (e.g. Man-at-Arm as an Miltia).
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Strange error
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames