Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Europe with random startpositions
posted 06-18-08 12:05 PM CT (US)   
In Europe (and many other realworld scenarios) you have 8 fixed startpositions wich go to the same 8 colors (players)... so red is allways on greece, blue allways on spain etc...

Thats why ppl know where they will start even if they are still in launchscreen... and more importand they know where all other players are (including the enemy)

I wanted to change this... so that players are randomly forwarded to the spots.
This cane be used for many other multiplayer scenarios too (like bloods and stuff)

Problem was... 8 players and 8 spots... this makes 8!= 40320 possible combinations.

After some research i found a way:

First i made 64 Triggers (create for every player 5 vills on every spot) and declicked "starts on"
i named them like "red on spain","red on africa" etc...

Then i created 24 kings and garrisoned a samurai in each of them (with triggerstudio)

Then i placed the kings in 8 lines a 3 kings
every line is representing 1 player (color)
The first of the 3 kings in every line is sourounded by 2 palisades (so the samurai can only ungarrison on two spots)

Then i start with line one.
I made a trigger wich unloads King one (the one with the palisades)
If the samurai unloads to the right side a trigger is executed wich unloads king 2, if it unloads to the left
side a trigger is executed wich unloads king 3.

Around king 2 are four areas, wich each execute:

1. Activate Trigger "red on spain" or "red on africa" or "red on greece" or "red on england"

2. Activate a Trigger wich places a palisade on that side where the samurai was ungarisoned for the secound king in every 8 lines .
In this way no other player can come to the allready taken spot.

3. Activates a Trigger wich unloads the first king of the secound line.

Around king 3 are the same areas but for the other four spots.
The palisade will block one side of the third king in every 8 lines.

Now the first King of the secound line unloads on the left or the right side,
wich unloads king 2 or 3 of that line,
wich sends player 2 to one of the 7 remaining spots (as one side of one of the kings is allready blocked)
and places palisades to the specific choosen side of all 2. or 3. kings.
Then it unloads king 1 of the third line.

and so on..

Now there is only one problem:

If the four 1. kings of the four first lines unload to one side either king 2 or king 3 of every line is surounded on four sides by palisades.
Wich means when the first king of the fifth line unloads to the same side the king can not unload the samurai anymore.

To avoid this i made a trigger wich works as followed:

If King 2 of the first line is sourounded on four sides by palisades the block the left side of the first king of all 8 lines.
If King 3 is surounded do the same for the right side..

As all the triggers need some time player 1 is 20 secounds faster on his spot then player 8.
To allivate this advantage, all players start with 0 wood and get tributed the wood at secound 25.

At the end i remove all gaia stuff, deactivate all triggers and delete the dummi vills (wich stopp aoc from creating tcs at the start)

Thts it!

If ANYONE understands what i was writing, he will get a REAL big Coockie!!!!

I made a small video of the Kings, samurais and palisades at the start:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=kMGJQ0TOYQA

As i dunno how to upload stuff here i uploaded the scenario to sendfiles:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yu8ru9

[This message has been edited by knochenginni (edited 06-18-2008 @ 12:36 PM).]

Replies:
posted 06-18-08 12:11 PM CT (US)     1 / 5  
Just spread out the kings more to avoid collision issues?

me
posted 06-18-08 12:34 PM CT (US)     2 / 5  
hmmm... i tested it many times... anyway....why should the kings or the samurais move?
posted 06-21-08 12:57 PM CT (US)     3 / 5  
right

is anybody supposed to understand this?
posted 06-22-08 04:40 AM CT (US)     4 / 5  
An interesting trick...I don't fully understand the details but I get the basic idea: a randomiser. In a single-player scenario you could do this with AIs, but multiplayer requires a somewhat cleverer solution. Great work, anyway.
posted 06-22-08 10:22 AM CT (US)     5 / 5  
I suggest you read this article.

A very good article on randomization methods.

me
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Europe with random startpositions
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames