Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: New grand rpg/adventure
posted 01-25-09 09:52 AM CT (US)   
Hello everyone! I was just a silent observer at this site and only now have I decided to start contributing, I hope someone will still read this post.

I'm an admirer of the beautiful scenarios and campaigns of Ingo van Thiel, Anastasia and others, and after the retirement of Ingo van Thiel, I decided to try to create a scenario/campaign based on the tips learned from the marvelous campaigns like Ulio.

The basic idea:

Setting:
Transylvania, around end of the 16th century, then a more or less independent country. Why this setting? I decided to follow a "beyond good or evil" path, and the many nations, cultures and chaotic political background present a golden opportunity to create an environment, where the player can never be sure who is with him, and who is against.

Name: Fairy garden
It was used by some historians. Even with a lot of problems, there was a balance (even if a fragile one), without major wars, letting culture to prosper. Also, it was the first place in the world after the reformation where religious freedom was legally accepted.
One of the tasks of the player is to maintain that fine balance.

I will try to shortly present the factions forming that country: (you can skip this if you are more interested in other details)

- Hungarians: The rulers were Hungarian princes (this time I picked one of the Báthorys), and the Hungarians were mostly settled in the valleys, the nobility having tiny castles scattered around the country, while the rest living in mediocre towns or villages.
- Saxons: they possessed the most developed walled cities in the country, with the advanced technology. They were mostly loyal to the princes, providing quality military hardware
- Szeklers: living in the mountains and forests, these people of Hungarian ethnicity were tasked to protect the borders of the country, but they have rebelled a lot to try to gain back their ancient privileges.
- Vlachs (the Romanians of today) were mostly living in villages in the mountains, working as shepherds or farmers, and being mostly neutral to everyone.
The two superpowers
- Ottomans: They have conquered most of Hungary, and sometimes helping, other times raiding Transylvania
- Austrians: They were ruling the part of Hungary unoccupied by the Ottomans

The main task of the rulers of Transylvania was to navigate between the two superpowers, with the hard task of not angering any of them.

With the listing of these nations I was not meaning to offend anyone. The real situation back then was way more complicated than I could have written it in a short list

Playing style
RPG/adventure

I will add some kind of leveling (obtaining some weapon and armor upgrades), but not the Diablo-style, where a 12th level hero is 100 times stronger than a 5th level one. This leveling will be not that important to win the game.

The player character is a messenger/agent of the ruling prince, and there will be some factors very important to shape the game in non-linear way:
- Devastation: how much the country has suffered from war/raidings. This number can rise and fall depending on your actions (fighting or ignoring bandits, for example)
- Ottoman angryness: If you get the Ottomans pissed off, it won't be that good for the country.
- Prestige: How the Price valors you (depends on how successful have you completed your missions)
- Austrian angryness: (not sure I'll implement it)
- Personal mood: depends on friends dying etc., might influence the endings (not sure I'll implement it)

There will be alternative ways to accomplish some or most of the missions.

Problems
I have worked with other editors, but this will be my first major AOK map, so I will depend on the help of the community.

Some issues this far:
1. Lag: What does influence the lag? I know unit count is important, but what are the main factors? I would like an answer like "1000 building/scenery objects are approximately equivalent in slowing the game like 100 units, or 5000 trees, or 500 triggers". Many of the authors of the greatest maps surely have some experience in it.

2. Size of the map: I started with a map size of 255, and after completing only 2 towns I had noticeable lag. It has fewer objects than the Ulio maps, so what can cause it? I mapcopied it to a smaller map, and the lag was gone. (and the scenery all messed up, because of the cliffs and uniform forests/houses). What do you suggest? Completely rebuilding everything on a smaller map, and trying to condense everything as far as possible? (I know of no means to save variables between scenarios of a campaign, so I need to have as few scenarios as possible - ideally only one) Is there another solution, and the map size does not contribute to the lag?
I haw a LOT of forests (as most of the country was covered by forests, hence the origin of the Latin name - sylva meaning forest)

3. Variables: What is the more efficient way to store them?
a) as food/gold etc. of an inactive player
b) as units created/destroyed in an unreachable part of the map
(the angryness counts should be between 0 and 10 or 20, so no talk about thousands)

4. Eye-candy
4.1. The 8 players are too few to represent every faction. I have 3 civilian players just for the towns (poor town/developed town/oriental themed town). How can I create eye-candy that has national buildings of nations not present on the map. It's hard even without it, because every time I load my scenario in the editor, every building reverts to dark age (is still correct when I play it, though)
One idea to solve this would be to rename civilian buildings to "saxon city house", "vlach house", "szekler house" etc. Will non-repeating triggers (hundreds or thousands of them) used to rename stuff at the beginning of the game cause lag later in the game?
4.2 How to create overlapping buildings seen in many other maps? I couldn't find it in the FAQ.

5. Miscellaneous:
5.1. Altering unit stats besides health and attack. Is there a workaround without using mods? The most needed stats would be attack and sight ranges.
I found a workaround for realistic musketeers: give them a lot of attack strength, let them fire once, the freeze them for some time. However, giving them a higher range, less accuracy and slower reloading would be nice, as it work globally, and not only at some predefined location with heawy scripting.

6. Language: English is not my native language, so if you can help to fine-tune some dialogs, it will be appreciated

7. Time: It's a big map, and it would need months to complete. I can't promise to deliver it in a few days or weeks.

Other ideas, tips, or questions would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings, Val

[This message has been edited by Val the 2nd (edited 01-25-2009 @ 10:58 AM).]

Replies:
posted 01-25-09 11:25 AM CT (US)     1 / 31  

1. Lag:
-Lots of objects of any kind will lag the game. I mean LOTS. Of course, objects that move will cause more. Epic battle scenes would cause major lag. Really depends on the players computer. A bunch (~40?) of looping triggers will cause lag. I have proof of this, I'm sure. >_>

2. Size of the map:
-Your map right now could be lagging from AI trying to do something they can't or if you place mass trees down one by one. (The game assumes they are single objects??? Instead of terrains)

3. Variables:
-I prefer using the resources of inactive players, make sure they can't use those resource, or gain any either.
-You could also use flags, but there are some flaws with it.

4. Eye-candy
-Only dark age buildings will revert, just ignore it, you can't do much about it. Research their age and test the game, the only thing that would be messy would be your houses.
-Triggers only lag if
>>they are on and detecting for the condition (in masses, like I said above)
>>the effects in them makes CPU work hard (tasking/patrolling)
-The game will crash though, if you try to rename or change too much things in one trigger.

-To create the overlapping units, you can use AOK:Trigger Studio or you can use the map-copy feature in the editor.

5. Miscellaneous:
-No. Unless you use some of the researchable techs.

6. Language:
-Your English is good, from what I've read.

7. Time:
-Good luck, and you should use AOK:TS if you aren't already. It saves loads of time and has loads of special tricks.
posted 01-25-09 11:32 AM CT (US)     2 / 31  
How are your mapdesigning skills? When they're as good as this plan I can't wait
posted 01-25-09 11:34 AM CT (US)     3 / 31  
OK...you seem pretty good for someone we've never seen before, so let me see what I can think of to help you out...

LAG: Everything can cause lag if there's too much of it, except RAM space . You should have some playtesters help you out a bit to see how much lag they have, and what might be causing it.

SIZE: I don't have a whole lot of problems with Giant maps, but it might be caused by the operating system: if you use Windows 95, 98, or other old systems, lag is a lot more than on XP/Vista computers. My only suggestion in that case is to play on 800X600 resolution with graphics on low detail (design in high-detail, however, since most people play that setting). Your playtesters with XP or Vista can tell you how much lag is from objects, etc.

VARIABLES: Yeah, use tributes of food to some computer player, and just detect it with triggers. That should work for most things. If you need a randomizer, ask Impeached, as he knows all about them.

EYE-CANDY: I suggest having each player be the same civ as one of your factions (or more than one) so you get the architecture type you want. Then change ownership to the player who needs to be that faction (i.e. if player 3 is Saxons, but is the Turkish civ, have player 6 be Goth or Briton, and change ownership to player 3 in-game so the architecture is correct). Do the same thing for different social classes: have one player be in a different age than another, and change ownership. Renames are OK, but simply telling the player that they are in a Saxon town will cause them to see everything as Saxon, without having to click buildings to see what faction it is. In mixed towns, renames are OK, but a sign saying "SAXON QUARTER" would suffice. Renames are great and all, but take a lot of time. However, if you do a ton of renames, spread them out no more than 100-120 per trigger so you don't crash the game from an overload, and space the triggers 2-3 seconds apart.

To make buildings, etc. appear as the correct age, you need to reselect the correct Age in player descriptions. This doesn't affect the final product, but yeah it is really annoying.

For overlapping buildings, use the Map Copy function in the Terrain menu. you can copy a building and then paste it partially on top of another. You can only do this if you don't copy over the 'center' square of the building you're pasting on top of. I suggest playing around in a fresh scenario, just map-copying buildings, until you get the hang of it.

MISC: Just renaming a unit to "Musketeer" will suffice for convincing most players that the unit is, in fact, a musketeer. As far as the firing rate, I wouldn't know about that, but even in AoE3 Musketeers don't fire much slower than our regular Hand Cannoneers do, so I would'nt worry too much . For stat changes (such as LOS), try taking advantage of technologies like Tracking, Civ bonuses (i.e. place a unit as a specific civ, then change ownership - same as for buildings), and of course the triggers for HP and Attack.

LANGUAGE: When you're done, you can ask around and I'm sure some retired designer who's bored to death will jump at the opportunity. Or, you could have one of your playtesters help you out, if you use playtesters (you should).

TIME: Always a problem, nothing can be done about it. The biggest trick is keeping interested and focused; there's a decent article in the University by Julius on the subject.

Overall, this sounds like a great idea, and I hope you finish it, and do a great job, Good luck! Hope I helped...

YoshiX100000~AoKH's Official Playtester of All Short, Funny Viking Cutscenes by Varied Equine Species, PhD-Emeritus-Magna-cum-Laude-Esq.
Now in Fuschia!!

"I wish I knew what Yoshi's doing on the roof, especially in winter." ~Sissi
"Yoshi lived up to his name and split into 100000." ~Rocking Doom
posted 01-25-09 11:39 AM CT (US)     4 / 31  
Hello Val, and welcome to AoKH. It's always nice to have more people step forward and start sharing on the forums; with your clear grasp of English (Never woulda guessed it wasn't your first language), you'll get along fine.

I can only answer a couple of your questions from my own personal experience;

3. Variables: What is the more efficient way to store them?
The food / gold of an inactive player is certainly the best option, just make sure there is no possible way that player can gain or lose those resources in a different manner. Another option is from iKraz; he used "conversions" as a miscellaneous counter, because in his scenario, all conversions were disabled, so no one would accumulate any anyways.

5. Miscellaneous:
5.1. Altering unit stats besides health and attack. Is there a workaround without using mods? The most needed stats would be attack and sight ranges.

The only way you can do that is research technologies for increased range (Fletching, Bodkin Arrow, etc), and increased LOS. The effect "Change Object Attack" does, well, change a unit's attack.

"I mean, imagine someone screaming 'MAH PANTS' with no pants. Wouldn't that be a truly comical sight?" ---Quaazi
"HOLY CRAP WYO YOU'RE FAT!!!" ---Quaazi

[This message has been edited by Wyo_Daniel (edited 01-25-2009 @ 03:08 PM).]

posted 01-25-09 12:42 PM CT (US)     5 / 31  
Thank you for all the answers, it surely helped rising my morale for this project. I'm only at the very beginning, so it would take some time to show you at least partial results.
I'm using XP, so that's not the cause for the lag. I will check the AI though, and if someone knows about lag caused exclusively by the map size, please tell me.

Another thing that bothers me: is there a possibility to mapcopy without trees and houses reverting to a single type and keeping cliffs from acting strange? I will surely need to reposition some of the cities as I continue with my map. I might end up using only a smaller portion of the map, but unless lag can be caused by map size alone, I will stick to the 255 map size, just to be sure I'll have place for everything. There won't be many epic battles (I'm only planning 2 sieges and one battle which will be huge, so I suppose I'll need to generate those units dynamically)

Most of the time the game will be about commanding a few units taking part in skirmishes.

I still could not find a good hero to be my player character. I'll need both a mounted and an unmounted version, and the only hero having both is El Cid, but it's not appropriate for a young hero with his huge beard. I was thinking on Sieur de Metz (I don't want a decorated medieval knight, we're in the 16th century), and maybe a samurai (it looks like a Renaissance fencer, doesnt' it?)
I'm open to any suggestions.

Dtrungle, so it does make a difference weather I place trees as Gaia objects or as terrain (even with tiny brush)?
It's quite important for me, because there will be HUGE portions of the map covered by forests. (by using late infantry, like hand cannoners, with huge viewing distance, I'll need lots of trees for bordering different areas)

Nearly the whole map should be walkable, so a lot of invisible blocking will be done. What's the most effective way to do it? Triggering (changing to inactive player, moving back, changing back to player) would make a mess. Removal and creation of invisible objects would be better, I think.

The problem with most of the issues are that I can figure out a solution for most of the things, but I don't have the experience to do it in the most efficient way.

Greetings,
Val
posted 01-25-09 12:47 PM CT (US)     6 / 31  
Another thing that bothers me: is there a possibility to mapcopy without trees and houses reverting to a single type and keeping cliffs from acting strange? I will surely need to reposition some of the cities as I continue with my map. I might end up using only a smaller portion of the map, but unless lag can be caused by map size alone, I will stick to the 255 map size, just to be sure I'll have place for everything. There won't be many epic battles (I'm only planning 2 sieges and one battle which will be huge, so I suppose I'll need to generate those units dynamically)
I have no idea how to mapcopy cliffs, but if you are having a problem with reverting to single type, you can always use the "rotate left" and "rotate right" buttons or manually rotate your houses and trees to make them look good.

◓◓◓◓◓
posted 01-25-09 01:00 PM CT (US)     7 / 31  
I have no idea how to mapcopy cliffs, but if you are having a problem with reverting to single type, you can always use the "rotate left" and "rotate right" buttons or manually rotate your houses and trees to make them look good.
The problem is not with the rotation, it's with reverting to the same type (or subtype, or how should I call it). When I place houses (or rocks, forests), one of some similar units will be randomly selected. (House with well or with wheelbarrow in front of it, for example) They change back to a single type.
posted 01-25-09 01:06 PM CT (US)     8 / 31  
I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out, good luck with tuis.

My mother is called Val
posted 01-25-09 01:25 PM CT (US)     9 / 31  
Another thing that bothers me: is there a possibility to mapcopy without trees and houses reverting to a single type and keeping cliffs from acting strange?
No, it will revert those things to a certain rotation. Map-copying cliffs are even messier. You're going to have to re-do the cliffs if you want to reposition your areas.
so it does make a difference weather I place trees as Gaia objects or as terrain (even with tiny brush)?
No, placing trees from Terrain tab is fine. I heard that placing trees from Units-Others could mess something up.
Nearly the whole map should be walkable, so a lot of invisible blocking will be done. What's the most effective way to do it?
Create the cliffs where you want the barrier. Rotate the cliffs untill they become invisible. That's the most easiest way. I'm not sure if you can remove the barrier though.

[This message has been edited by Dtrungle (edited 01-25-2009 @ 01:28 PM).]

posted 01-25-09 01:50 PM CT (US)     10 / 31  
I don't believe placing individual trees causes lag, as there are so many designers who refuse to use the terrain brush for forests that obviously it must not cause any major problems. The problem with placing forest terrain is the leaves placed underneath the trees. If you don't like leaves, want to do any major terrain mixing, or are using a dirt/desert map, this is a huge issue because changing the terrain also removes the tree.

For your large forests, I would suggest using the forest terrain (Tiny brush!) to build sort of a 'skeleton' and then place individual trees around it. This way you have some natural-looking leaves under your trees, but you can mix some terrain around the edges. Make the forest 'skeleton' smaller in areas where the major terrains are dirts or desert, and larger in grassy areas. And DON'T FORGET: use more than one type of tree/forest terrain (i.e. mix pine with oak in European maps, pine + bamboo in east Asian maps, jungle with bamboo in Mesoamerican maps, etc.)!

Addendum: Map Copy
Map-copying cliffs are even messier. You're going to have to re-do the cliffs if you want to reposition your areas.
For copying cliffs, I THINK Trigger Studio will do the job, but you will have to play around with it a bit. However, map-copying cliffs works for making invisible barriers (however, rotating cliffs workd just as well, and is faster to boot).

YoshiX100000~AoKH's Official Playtester of All Short, Funny Viking Cutscenes by Varied Equine Species, PhD-Emeritus-Magna-cum-Laude-Esq.
Now in Fuschia!!

[This message has been edited by YoshiX100000 (edited 01-25-2009 @ 01:54 PM).]

posted 01-25-09 04:05 PM CT (US)     11 / 31  
A bunch (~40?) of looping triggers will cause lag. I have proof of this, I'm sure. >_>
40 looping triggers won't cause lag, unless they're all creating a bunch of units. I wouldn't even worry about trigger lag. In MP RPGs your biggest enemy will be terrain lag and mass unit lag.

dannyking.me

posted 01-25-09 04:32 PM CT (US)     12 / 31  
A bunch (~40?) of looping triggers will cause lag. I have proof of this, I'm sure. >_>
40 looping triggers won't cause lag, unless they're all creating a bunch of units. I wouldn't even worry about trigger lag. In MP RPGs your biggest enemy will be terrain lag and mass unit lag.
Well, after some thinking and what-not, I figured it out. It's probably not known but, I changed those "lagging" triggers of mine to detect Player5 instead of GAIA and now the lag is GONE. Hurray~

I'm assuming it lags because the game has hundreds of GAIA unit IDs and a condition detecting for GAIA objects has to go through all of it.

To sum-it-up, looping triggers that does simple things won't lag.

[This message has been edited by Dtrungle (edited 01-25-2009 @ 04:34 PM).]

posted 01-25-09 04:36 PM CT (US)     13 / 31  
You probably had something working behind the scenes. Mind sending me an example of the lag you got (blank map)? I've never seen or heard of a scenario lagging in SP because of 40 looping triggers. I have at least 3 times that in a MP scenario I'm working on and it's fine.

dannyking.me

posted 01-25-09 04:50 PM CT (US)     14 / 31  
I just sent you my maps newIdea. Have a look.
posted 01-25-09 05:03 PM CT (US)     15 / 31  
You didn't need to send the whole thing. I meant just a blank scenario with those 40 triggers (maybe copied with AoKTS). If it's really those triggers it should lag the blank map as well. I don't have time to look through all that.

dannyking.me

posted 01-25-09 05:12 PM CT (US)     16 / 31  
I'm assuming it lags because the game has hundreds of GAIA unit IDs and a condition detecting for GAIA objects has to go through all of it.
Sending you a blank map will not cause lag, there isn't enough GAIA IDs.

From the two maps I sent, the main differences are those ~40 triggers. One has GAIA detection, the other has Player5 detection.

It just wouldn't make sense if changing GAIA to Player5 for the condition would remove the lag completely out. =/

I'll see if I can delete the triggers, and still have the lag effects. BRB.

EDIT: nI, I sent a condense version. When I tested it, there was lag.

[This message has been edited by Dtrungle (edited 01-25-2009 @ 05:25 PM).]

posted 01-25-09 06:30 PM CT (US)     17 / 31  
I've tried out my map-making and scripting skills (still new to this editor) by creating a small mission (I intended it to be one of the side quests for my campaign)

I've uploaded it, but cannot find it. Is there a waiting period, or something went wrong? (reference number:9617, name: defend the monastery)

It took half a day to create it, and it uses quite a number of triggers (at least for me, it seems much)

If the whole big scenario will contain at least a few dozens of such quests, will it be possible to work? Or I'll realize when it'll be half done, that I should have broken it into more scenarios, and my many month's worth of work was for nothing?

If someone spots design mistakes, inefficient solutions to common problems, or bugs, etc. feel free to tell me.
posted 01-25-09 07:03 PM CT (US)     18 / 31  
@Dtrungle
Ah, I see what you're saying now. But to be fair, this is highly unlikely since you shouldn't be making conditions so vague anyway. That many vague conditions is just comparable to creating a bunch of units and overloading the scenario. And like I said:
40 looping triggers won't cause lag, unless they're all creating a bunch of units.
That can cause lag.

My point was that triggers themselves won't overload the scenario. As proved by the blank map theory.

dannyking.me

posted 01-26-09 01:13 AM CT (US)     19 / 31  
I've uploaded it, but cannot find it. Is there a waiting period, or something went wrong? (reference number:9617, name: defend the monastery)
Yeah there is. 2 - 5 days at most.
posted 01-26-09 05:47 PM CT (US)     20 / 31  
Welcome Val, you have inspired me to get back to work on my grand campaign that I started 3 years ago. I have so much to learn, I was afraid to admit that I have been working on something.

Olaf the Tardy ~ ~ ~ ~ T he Laughing Mule
              (\__/)
              |^^|-,___,-._,<
              (o o),|___| \
           _V_v_||_||_||_||_v_v_V
.sig by Dark_Reign
posted 01-26-09 06:10 PM CT (US)     21 / 31  
It's nice to inspire each other, thanks, TLM

Currently I'm stuck in the first mission (despite the warnings not to start with a prologue, I already created the map for it)

Now for some questions:

- I have one soldier tasked to go somewhere. After that, I make it an enemy (for duelling purposes), but he won't follow my character farther than 3-4 units, he always returns to the previously tasked location
I've tried giving a Stop command, tried tasking him to my player character, tried setting it to the standard AI instead of the immobile, but the same thing happens. does anyone have an idea what's going wrong?
Update: solved it with looping trigger. Don't know if this is the optimal solution.

- Is it possible to change the title of this topic? (it would like to add the name of the campaign to it)

I still have no idea for most of my characters' names. Some of the events are based on historical or semi-historical events (most of the introduction is heavily based on a novel), but I wouldn't add Hungarian, German, Romanian, Turkish etc. names that are impossible to pronounce.. And having Bob, Tim, Bill, etc. is not a good idea either.. still thinking about a solution. (yes, I have a lot of characters named "Captain", "Merchant", etc.)

Update:
How are your mapdesigning skills? When they're as good as this plan I can't wait
I have just finished the city design and the first triggers to the introduction scene.
http://files.filefront.com/Fairy+garden+intro+DEMOcpx/;13110012;/fileinfo.html

Please be very critical, harsh and rude, point out mistakes, the sooner I will be told about them, the faster I can correct them in the future.

- This map is mainly about sightseeing. After you enter the palace, you're not going out until the end of the mission, so either marco polo, or don't enter yet
- Still no name for the player character, but hope the samurai outfit represents Renaissance clothing well enough, especially if I don't leave it's name as "Samurai".
- Maybe the first person messages (in the instructions menu, for example) won't be the best, as I plan 2 other main characters you can control.
- I'm interested mainly in how well the starting position is, to not find the palace in the first few seconds. How much of the city have you explored before finding the entrance? How much time did it take? Were you frustrated, or maybe bored? In which direction tended you to go?

I uploaded the aforementioned "defend the monastery" too, if you're curious.

http://files.filefront.com/AOK2+defend+the+monasteryzip/;13110112;/fileinfo.html

My only other contribution was at the screenshot competition.

I'll be busy for the next few days, hope to see you all at least in a week.

Greetings, Val

[This message has been edited by Val the 2nd (edited 01-27-2009 @ 10:29 AM).]

posted 01-27-09 01:38 PM CT (US)     22 / 31  
I tried it, here's some things you can improve on (in random order):

- Capitalize the first letters of names
- Maybe use shoreless water and bamboo stumps at the river
- Tidy up the city. Although the basic layout looked nice, there were some things which bothered me. For instance the grass at the edges of the road was pretty unrealistic, as well as the use of regular road. During the Renaissance roads weren't perfect (use broken road with dirt near the edges etc. There's a good tutorial for this somewhere on the forum I think.)

Also if you want a topicname-change, I think you got to mail one of the admins.
posted 01-27-09 03:29 PM CT (US)     23 / 31  
I still have no idea for most of my characters' names. Some of the events are based on historical or semi-historical events (most of the introduction is heavily based on a novel), but I wouldn't add Hungarian, German, Romanian, Turkish etc. names that are impossible to pronounce.. And having Bob, Tim, Bill, etc. is not a good idea either.. still thinking about a solution. (yes, I have a lot of characters named "Captain", "Merchant", etc.)
By all means, use ethnic names, but choose short or easy ones (For example, Turk characters might be "Mehmet" or "Ali"). Use generic names, e.g. "captain" or "merchant" for unimportant characters who just stand around, maybe talk a bit. And trust me, EVERYONE loves a funny-sounding German name, i.e. "Freidrich von Gazoogleheimer" makes a great name for a pompous fop .
Welcome Val, you have inspired me to get back to work on my grand campaign that I started 3 years ago. I have so much to learn, I was afraid to admit that I have been working on something.
Everyone has that 'embarrassing' problem. I have about 5 projects I've started over the past 18 months; only one is still in commission (possibly done this summer, with work and focus). If you want to upgrade your skills, you can always check the university for articles, post screenies and ask for tips, or teleport out of Oliver's cave and download great maps (read: Ulio) to observe the design. The best way to design a great map, IMO, is simply making sure you're trying to make it look 'good' or 'real' rather than just 'there.' A forest used as pathblocking is a common trap: most people just place a big block of trees like they're in some kind of a hurry. Slowing down to make it look like it's supposed to be there should raise your map design ratings a level or two. Heck, even random placement of trees with no aim whatsoever comes out alright, as long as it's not a big block. Your* CSC entry is a good example of that trap, although it still looks great of course .

*I refer to TLM, of course, and not any other 'you' who might be reading this*

Now in Fuschia!!

[This message has been edited by YoshiX100000 (edited 01-27-2009 @ 03:29 PM).]

posted 02-12-09 05:10 AM CT (US)     24 / 31  
@newIdea
But to be fair, this is highly unlikely since you shouldn't be making conditions so vague anyway.

Crap, my conditions usually are too...

also val if your getting lag from too many triggers then you can have the different "side" quests off then activated one by one later on when your able to do them or your near the quest starting area.
posted 02-12-09 05:19 PM CT (US)     25 / 31  
Thanks again Yoshi for your great suggestions. I am trying very hard to make the map realistic. I've googled up photos of real places that I wish to recreate. But also I do not wish to clutter up a map with a lot of 'eye candy' that does not add to the story - or may not even be viewable to the player (note to self: add more map revealers!)

I will start a thread for my project soon, so I won't keep butting in on other people's threads.
posted 02-20-09 06:01 PM CT (US)     26 / 31  
Thanks, Dead_End, for the comments. I don't understand what you mean by the capitalization of names, everyone has capitalized name, except the players, which are only temporary. I think the best way to make the city nicer is to place the houses closer together.. narrower streets were more common in those days.

After thinking out most of the storyline and getting to implementation, I had to rethink the story again. I wanted a (mostly) historically accurate background, but to create an interesting and thrilling game I must either include events that took place many decades apart, or invent a lot of events which never happened. I've grown mostly unsure between the choice between following two times:

1570's
pros:
+ one siege (mostly the RPG at the preparation for the siege) and a battle which I would like to include at all cost
+ the prince (Báthory) is the most well known in other countries from all the princes of Transylvania

1660's
pros:
+ good hearted but slightly easy-going prince, who listens mostly to his intelligent wife for political advice, giving the possibility for comic relief
+ a Richelieu-like chancellor, always in the deepest conspiracies
+ more conflicting spheres of interest, more sides nobly fighting for the common good but forced by circumstances to fight against each other
+ lot of colorful Hungarian, Turkish, Saxon and Austrian famous generals and other personalities

In fact, I know a lot more from this period (even by studying some codexes from those time, as well as reading some historical novels) This can be sometimes a hindrance too, as the fact that I try to shape everything accurate limits my imagination

Currently I'm leaning to mix these two time periods a bit, I hope the players will not hate me for this. I was thinking about solving everything as a the first part being a flashback, told by the protagonist's grandfather, but then a lot of variables (ottoman angriness, country devastation, for example) would make not that much sense after 90 years.

I think I'll try to create an unrelated smaller scenario to practice until I can come up with better ideas...

[This message has been edited by Val the 2nd (edited 02-20-2009 @ 06:02 PM).]

posted 02-20-09 06:13 PM CT (US)     27 / 31  
Could I make a suggestion? I don't want you to get discouraged because things get too big and complicated.

Why not make a smaller scenario that covers the 1570's, then after you gain experience, create the scenario for the 1660's (with something to tie them together) and eventually package them into a 2 scenario campaign?

You ideas are fantastic and I hope to encourage you. I would be glad to help with proof reading, I'm not much of a play tester.

(When I first started trying to do a scenario 4 years ago, I started too big, got discourage and quit. Now I am back and trying again, but first I will start off with something small and simple, then I will attempt the larger project in smaller pieces to create a campaign instead of a giant scenario.)
posted 02-20-09 06:35 PM CT (US)     28 / 31  
The problem with the 2-scenario approach is that I know of no means to save variables from one scenario to the other. My idea is to have mostly a small group -based RPG, with very few big battles in between. So the preparation for the first battle should have a lot of consequences: asking specific towns or noble families to help, thereby angering others; villages becoming desolate or flourishing depending on where you march through or let the enemies march through.. and later, by traveling the country alone or in small groups, you should see the difference. At least that was my idea. I'll think about it, I hope I'll find a solution..

Meanwhile I think I'll implement another old idea, a campaign based on the 5th crusade. It seems to be hard and complicated, but straightforward (based on a history and legend, so it'll be like an interactive movie, with many small, individual parts.. so, easy to start, and easy to keep up the morale as smaller parts are finished)

The main problem is, by the time my campaigns will be ready, will anyone still play AoK? ) Even now it is a bit late, as I see most of the legendary campaigns were created at least 5 years ago.

[This message has been edited by Val the 2nd (edited 02-20-2009 @ 07:30 PM).]

posted 02-20-09 08:21 PM CT (US)     29 / 31  
The main problem is, by the time my campaigns will be ready, will anyone still play AoK? ) Even now it is a bit late, as I see most of the legendary campaigns were created at least 5 years ago.
Maybe its time for some new great campaigns that will become legendary 5 years from now. I have seen several people return to this game recently, including myself.

My attitude is that its fun to work with this game (a cheap hobby), and I really don't care if only a handful of people play what I make. I never submitted any of the AoE scenarios that I made years ago, but we had fun making and playing them.

As long as you are having fun creating something that is the whole point. Its nice to belong to this community of people that are caring and sharing.
posted 02-20-09 09:14 PM CT (US)     30 / 31  
Actually, I could hardly imagine any mission editor worse than that of the AoK (some time ago I worked with an editor which had a Java-like language for its triggers, I wish AoK had something like that).
But, maybe, it's fun because of the challenge, and the fact that we have to misuse the system, and use bugs to create the needed effects.
posted 02-21-09 05:28 AM CT (US)     31 / 31  
The problem with the 2-scenario approach is that I know of no means to save variables from one scenario to the other.
The closest you can get is by giving a code at the end of the scenario. Perhaps clicking objects in a specific order at the very start of the game. You could tell the player not in the beginning about it, but after they finished the scenario in a specific order. In the next scenario you tell them to enter the code by clicking the objects. If they successfully clicked them right you activate the correct things in the new scenario since the events from the previous scenario seemed to be done in a specific way. This means that for different outcome you might need to use different codes, just to get the proper situation happening.

(_(_(_ World of Warcraft _)_)_)
(_(_(_(_(_( = [|]Level: 85 Pierce [|] = )_)_)_)_)_)
(_(_(_(_(_(_(_(_( = [|] Class: Warrior[|] = )_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)
(_(_(_(_(_(_(_(_( = [|]Race: Human [|] = )_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)
(_(_(_( = WizardBoy: | Proud member of AOK = Click to add population = )_)_)_)
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » New grand rpg/adventure
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames