Mod Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: GeniEd2 - AoK unit stat editor
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
posted 05-28-04 05:45 PM CT (US)   
Now available here: GeniEd2, for all your stat-editing needs.

GeniEd2 provides a quick and straightforward way to edit the unit stats from AoK:TC's empires2_x1.dat and empires2_x1_p1.dat. You can alter almost everything from hitpoints and movement speed to projectiles and construction costs.

The original GeniEd was limited to SWGB, but the new version is designed to work correctly with AoK:TC (although not AoK, unless there's sufficient demand, due to file format differences).

The current version has had rather limited testing, but appears to work fine on Windows 98, 2000 and XP, and can handle empires2_x1(_p1).dat, as well as genie(_x1).dat from any version of SWGB or SWGB:CC. Please report any problems, and I'll try to fix them as soon as possible.

Many thanks to Mace for convincing me to start rewriting GeniEd and for doing all AoK-related (and most non-AoK related) testing

Replies:
posted 05-28-04 08:13 PM CT (US)     1 / 175  
Wonderful ! Aswome !

I love you, Ykkrosh!

*run straight to download*

posted 05-28-04 08:54 PM CT (US)     2 / 175  
Probably a silly question but...can it change unique techs,(example give the vikings the aztec unique tech only have it give +2 to all infantry) or what building a unit is built from?

Can we add new units? Like make the ror swordsmen be built from a barracks?

Or add an entry for more frames for the vdml (mod them in with mps) and have it built from the barracks?

Great work. and many thanks

[This message has been edited by qaz123tfg (edited 05-28-2004 @ 08:59 PM).]

posted 05-28-04 08:59 PM CT (US)     3 / 175  
Nope.

Mace
posted 05-28-04 11:10 PM CT (US)     4 / 175  
0_o. whoa. that it the most wonderful thing i've ever seen.
*cries*

Shadowflare
Rationalization is a tranquilizer. Quit the dose and awaken.
Whisper | Forum | Profile | MIDRAID | Store
shadowflare.w@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by Shadowflare (edited 05-29-2004 @ 01:27 AM).]

posted 05-29-04 00:25 AM CT (US)     5 / 175  
God, it works...*cry*

Ykkrosh is the god of AOK modding world, Omen. Q_Q

posted 05-29-04 00:26 AM CT (US)     6 / 175  
*drools*

Nice, Ykkrosh!

Edit: This is seriously the best thing to happen to AOKH SDers since... well, the expansion pack. I haven't had this much fun editing stats since the WarII stat editor. I'm telling you, you can make some very interesting effects with this stuff...

zyxomma100- Age of Kings Heaven forumer
Proudly thwarting Dark_Aro's evil plans since 2002
"There is nothing more sad than watching a teutonic knight chasing a petard."

[This message has been edited by zyxomma100 (edited 05-29-2004 @ 01:23 AM).]

posted 05-29-04 01:44 AM CT (US)     7 / 175  
All the work and now this swgb programmer comes along and makes it with ease.

Bows to Ykkrosh. By the way, could you make a new type of modding, like SWGB, how they're mpi files, it would be awesome if aok had a mod installer like swgb. I'm gonna download and test this out!

Questions!:

1. Can we change the number of frames a unit has, for example the jaguar warrior has 75 walk frames, can we make it have 50?

2.Can we swith what building set a civilisation uses?

3.Can we switch what civs get what units?

That's all

ShadowFlare your dream is here, now METC can use stats modifications.

[This message has been edited by ModRocker (edited 05-29-2004 @ 01:51 AM).]

posted 05-29-04 02:20 AM CT (US)     8 / 175  
I can't wait to try this out.

Quote:

This is seriously the best thing to happen to AOKH SDers since... well, the expansion pack.

~ INNUEDO ALERT ~
posted 05-29-04 02:26 AM CT (US)     9 / 175  
I can answer those questions, ModRocker. The answer to all three is "nope" (If the original GeniEd could be converted to AoK, you could do it with that, but that's extremely messy and unreliable)

Mace
posted 05-29-04 02:39 AM CT (US)     10 / 175  
Well it's realy not neccesary anyways, but we can change melee to ranged and ranged to melee by changing attack range right? Anyways it's easy to use, but it didn't work from some reason, I tried changing the arbalast by giving it a ton of attack and fast speed, but it didn't work, this is what I did.

1. Made a new file, I opened the expansion pack .dat, and both language.dll files, and it made a backup in my .dat files.

2.I opened the arbalast file, and change the stats and then made the change, and saved it.

3. I started aok, and when i tried the arbalast he was normal. Could someone explain what I did wrong?

posted 05-29-04 03:48 AM CT (US)     11 / 175  
To anyone that is trying to edit stats, don't just change the numbers, use logic. For example, say I think the teutonic knight is too slow. I could check the movement value of the woad raider and change the teutonic knights movement value to whatever movement value the woad raider had.

"I tried changing the arbalast by giving it a ton of attack and fast speed,"

There is probably a certain value that you shouldn't go over. In the scn editor I gave a unit 999999 attack and it made the unit die.
Try comparing units and changing values based on that.

Also, before you change anything, select a civ from the drop down menu. Then when you test your changes be sure you are testing it with that same civ.

posted 05-29-04 03:54 AM CT (US)     12 / 175  
Hmm that must be why it didn't work.
posted 05-29-04 04:15 AM CT (US)     13 / 175  
I selected "british"

Then gave the jannisary 0.000 range
(and made some other changes)

Saved the changes

I tested it in a scenario.

When the player that is british uses his jannisary it has 0 range. However, when a viking player uses the jannisary it has the same range as it usually has in the game. Probably that way for all other civs except british...something to consider.

posted 05-29-04 04:43 AM CT (US)     14 / 175  
You have the set the changes for all civs that's what, qaz123tfg we should make a tutorial for this, I already made a change, let me explain.

I modified the archers hp to 999 and he didn't die, I also made his speed realy fast, so he zoomed across the map, I made his reload time 0, so he was constantly shooting arrows when attacking, and I made his attack range 0, so he was melee, however he was shooting arrows so it didn't seem like he was attacking melee, but anyways this program is awesome, and will make mods like METC and BoME alot better!

I'm gonna test making the samurai range 5.000.

posted 05-29-04 05:54 AM CT (US)     15 / 175  
Mace's "nope"s are correct, but in case you want more detail:

Quote:

Probably a silly question but...can it change unique techs,(example give the vikings the aztec unique tech only have it give +2 to all infantry) or what building a unit is built from?

Can we add new units? Like make the ror swordsmen be built from a barracks?

GeniEd will probably never edit anything tech-related, because there's just far too much stuff it would need to understand and alter. Adding scenario-editor-only units may be possible, perhaps, in a future version.

Quote:

Or add an entry for more frames for the vdml (mod them in with mps) and have it built from the barracks?

Quote:

1. Can we change the number of frames a unit has, for example the jaguar warrior has 75 walk frames, can we make it have 50?

Graphics editing is another future possibility - there is a section containing SLP ID numbers, numbers of frames, an associated sound, extra stuck-on graphics (e.g. snow on buildings), etc, which shouldn't be impossible to add into GeniEd.

Quote:

2.Can we swith what building set a civilisation uses?

Hmm... The civ data section isn't too complicated, and it contains something which I called a "graphicset" ages ago though I can't remember why I thought it was that. But it might be; if I ever get the graphics editing working, it should be very easy to add civs as a third section.

Quote:

3.Can we switch what civs get what units?

All civs have all the units (except for non-Nature not getting Nature-only units); I think the only difference is which civs can build which units. Which is tech stuff again, and not likely to ever be editable

Quote:

By the way, could you make a new type of modding, like SWGB, how they're mpi files, it would be awesome if aok had a mod installer like swgb.

Which bits of the SWGB mod system are there that MPS can't do? (I don't think I've ever even run MPS, so I have no idea how it actually works)

Quote:

{stuff}

The "Tools"/"Copy to all civs" menu item is very useful - you can make changes to a unit in one civ (I usually start with Nature because I'm too lazy to select anything else) and then copy those changes to the corresponding unit in every other civ.

There are some more attack/armour related stats which are probably necessary if you want to change a unit's attack style but which aren't shown in the current version of GeniEd, because they're rather more complicated than all the other stats. I'll try to get them in soon.

If you want invulnerable units, just set their "dead unit ID" to the same as their normal unit ID, and they will respawn as soon as you kill them

posted 05-29-04 06:10 AM CT (US)     16 / 175  
MPS sucks I hate it, downloading a mod takes ages, and isntalling them is frustrating at times, and extra files like language, and not data files have to be put into the proper places, we can't leave mods on our computer without alt control delete, we can't add files to the modpack, we can't install multiple mods, the whole AoK modding system just plain sucks...could you make it like SWGB, where we have a little window, select what mods we install, etc...though I have a few suggestions.

1. A remove all feature

2. Make it so we can select what mod to remove, instead of removing the last mod

3.An install all feature, where we can open up a bunch of mdos and install them all at once, instead of open, install, open, install.

AoK modding doesn't exactly "suck", making mods is simple, it's jsut adding extra files and installing mods, so if you could, do some work on mps, and instead of having mods be akx files that you double click on and it installs and plays, have it create mpi files that require mod installer to install.

Thanks for coming here, you made METC and future mods much better.

Some more questions..yay...

Oh and qaz123tfg, I wasn't sure if this was a problem or not, but we say we change a unti that's ranged to melee, won't techs that increase the range of a unit mess that up?

Here are some suggestions for future Genie ED programs.

Oh and is there any way to use future genie ed programs to make civs totaly unique like in SWGB?

Well I've said enough for one post, I'm out...

posted 05-29-04 09:30 AM CT (US)     17 / 175  
Ohhh it's in C++! Really nice! Thanks!

Creator of the AOK Trigger Studio, a work not in progress.
Wise men still seek Him.
posted 05-29-04 10:07 AM CT (US)     18 / 175  
I used C++ mainly because I've never done a windowy or fully OO program in C++ before and wanted to try -- I wasn't going to work on it for purely altruistic reasons

(Random comment: Whenever I've said "Nature" I meant "Gaia", but got confused because SWGB and AoK use different names)

posted 05-29-04 10:46 AM CT (US)     19 / 175  
Ykkrosh = God.

posted 05-29-04 11:10 AM CT (US)     20 / 175  

Quote:

Make it so we can select what mod to remove, instead of removing the last mod

When Ykkrosh made the mod installer for SWGB, I believe he said that was his original intention, but because mods can alter each other, that proved very difficult/near impossible (Or maybe he said he just couldn't be bothered, you never know ).

Mace
posted 05-29-04 11:44 AM CT (US)     21 / 175  
I can't remember what my original intention was (it was 2001 (well, just about - it was two days from the end of that year) when I started it - that's a long time ago...), but because of the way the installer attaches new resources into the DRS file (sticking all the data at the end and overwriting the offset/length marker elsewhere in the file), it's impossible to remove anything other than the most recently installed without leaving big holes in the file and then it's very difficult to recover that space later. It should have been possible if I'd been cleverer or cared more about it, but I wasn't/didn't, and I think it's too late to make major changes now
posted 05-29-04 12:32 PM CT (US)     22 / 175  
So are you gonna make a SWGB type modding system for AoK Ykkrosh?
posted 05-29-04 12:42 PM CT (US)     23 / 175  
Probably not - it wouldn't be that easy to change it to understand all of AoK's differences (partly because I would have no way of testing it), and MPS seems to have been good enough in the past; I'd prefer to do totally new things rather than just making old things a little bit nicer. And I can't afford to spend my entire life writing free programs
posted 05-29-04 01:36 PM CT (US)     24 / 175  
What new programs did you have in mind..mabye you can help darkblade on modpack unit creation tool.
posted 05-29-04 10:45 PM CT (US)     25 / 175  
Maybe once I finish AOKTS I could do a little moddish dev. Who knows?

Wise men still seek Him.
posted 05-30-04 02:19 AM CT (US)     26 / 175  
one problem...
it dosen't work.
i can get in to it and change the stats but in the game nothing changes

Sig wanted
posted 05-30-04 02:36 AM CT (US)     27 / 175  
It works for me, make sure that you select a civ from the drop down window, to make it so all civs have the same stats for each unit, go to apply for all civs or whatever it's called.
posted 05-30-04 03:42 AM CT (US)     28 / 175  
This has got to be the most incredible AoK-modding landmark ever done since MPS first came out about four years ago!

That program looks so awesome to use, Ykkrosh! I hereby give you a standing ovation!

BTW, in your next GenieEd version, are you going to make it so it's possible to add new civs and units?

[This message has been edited by Agamemmnon (edited 05-30-2004 @ 03:44 AM).]

posted 05-30-04 05:59 AM CT (US)     29 / 175  
Adding civs is impossible. (Well, it's not, since I've sort of done it before, but making them work correctly seems impossible.)
Adding units into a civ... I'm not sure. Making them buildable in the game is too complex (since it relies on masses of tech stuff), but it might perhaps be possible to create new units that are available in the scenario editor. But it's far from easy
posted 05-30-04 06:17 AM CT (US)     30 / 175  
Yes time to edit aok. To my style.
Instant kill units with low build times and costs. Time to make a slaughter house .

ŁĒĮĢĦŊ
≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
(¯`·._.Member of Tundra Studios/ A spire labs division._.·´¯)
{¯`·._.Modern Mod Total Conversion._.·´¯}

upcoming ATC Activity attending:
-Flying-
posted 05-30-04 11:16 AM CT (US)     31 / 175  
Couple hundred elite skirmishers with barely any reload time. Imagine a couple hundred spears being thrown at you per quarter second >_>

Mace
posted 05-30-04 12:52 PM CT (US)     32 / 175  
Uhoh. I sense a horde of noob mods approaching.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, "anything" is possible, you just have to put work into it. In fact, AOK could probably be converted into SWGB. That's what Lucasarts did anyway

Wise men still seek Him.
posted 05-30-04 01:11 PM CT (US)     33 / 175  
Hey, Digit...Since Ykkrosh's program can make the hidden units appear in the units' list, you lost one of the selling points for yours. Yet, I'm still really really looking forward to the trigger-copying function.

However, those civilizations relics can't be revealed on the list and I wonder what the reason is.

I've also tried adding more string-id spots to language.dll and language_x1.dll by Resource Hacker according to the language-dll-ids of those units without name, like COBRA, and it makes their names appear properly.

[This message has been edited by scenario_t_c (edited 05-30-2004 @ 01:13 PM).]

posted 05-30-04 05:58 PM CT (US)     34 / 175  
This would be soo cool if it worked for aok also. I donno why but I always end up playing aok instead of aoc.

also, if this where to be used in the original AOE, which is the most simmilar to swgb, i think it might bring good old AOE back to life, which is something i really want.

[This message has been edited by DE_Creator (edited 05-30-2004 @ 06:00 PM).]

posted 05-30-04 06:18 PM CT (US)     35 / 175  
:'D God Bless you chap

"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Mod Design and Discussion » GeniEd2 - AoK unit stat editor
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames