Mod Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoK Unit Bonuses, etc.
posted 08-30-05 01:17 AM CT (US)   
So first, a story:

I spent a few days out of the last week dedicated to getting unit bonuses manually from the game. The problem that I came upon is that I suck at math, and the chances are my "predictions" could be easily wrong, as could anybodys. I would prefer to get the actual data right out of the game. I tried asking a red SWGBH guy you all know and love, but he couldn't find the data.

So I'm wondering if any of you, especially Mandalorian (you seem to be great at "hacking" the Genie engine ), know how do get these unit number bonuses? And if so, how would I go about finding these myself? Hopefully knowing how to do this can help me find other things too (Monk conv time, garrison attack, etc) so I can continue with projects to enhance AoKH.

Thanks!

(Yes, I know a lot of this data available at MFO, but I'd much prefer having the data in front of me and stuff that I can get myself.)

» Your attractive master.
» "Because I before E is a LIE!!!"
Replies:
posted 08-30-05 02:03 AM CT (US)     1 / 24  
In swgb I think is what you do is find the number in genie ed the unit represents, then find that number in recource hacker to find out the units name. I'm not sure how to do it in AoK. That red guy we all know from swgb should make a GeniEd 1 for AoK...him or ykkrosh.

Aro, weren't you working on a star wars mod a long time ago, do you sitll have those files, if so could you upload them.

posted 08-30-05 02:16 AM CT (US)     2 / 24  

Quote:

weren't you working on a star wars mod a long time ago

Eh... don't think that was me. I lack the knowledge to mod ATM.

posted 08-30-05 02:20 AM CT (US)     3 / 24  
Oh it was Angel Aro, I got you guys mixed up...lol...
posted 08-30-05 03:23 AM CT (US)     4 / 24  
Uh, I'm Angel Aro.

Can I get a reference post of some kind?

posted 08-30-05 04:26 AM CT (US)     5 / 24  
Oh nevermind it was Angel AoErat working on a star wars mod right before swgb came out.
posted 08-30-05 07:03 AM CT (US)     6 / 24  
The only thing that comes to mind is using GeniEd2. If it's not there, I fear it may not be anywhere accessible.

Now where did that GeniEd expert get off to?

Shadowflare
Rationalization is a tranquilizer. Quit the dose and awaken.
Whisper | Forum | Profile | MIDRAID | Store
shadowflare.w@gmail.com
posted 08-30-05 03:06 PM CT (US)     7 / 24  

That's what I thought. GeniEd2 lists all of the basic stats, but stuff like unit bonuses aren't shown AFAIK.

posted 08-30-05 04:42 PM CT (US)     8 / 24  
Do you mean attack bonuses of certain units against other units, like how bounty hunters are effective against Jedi (er, except I don't think AoK has precisely those classes)?
If so, I have slightly updated code for GeniEd2 floating around, which can display that data - for example, Battering Rams have
Type 11: 125
Type 4: 2
Type 20: 40
where the 'type' refers to some class of units (e.g. 11 seems to be buildings, and 4 seems to be the default attack against unspecified unit classes), and the other number is the attack strength. I don't know what the type numbers actually mean, but it's possible someone's worked them out for SWGB; otherwise it'd involve a bit of work and guessing

If that type of information is useful, I can upload the new version of the program. It's largely untested (which is why it's not already available) - editing attack/armour data should theoretically work, though I don't remember trying it, but it does appear to at least read data correctly.

posted 08-30-05 05:33 PM CT (US)     9 / 24  
Ykkrosh, you should make a GeniEd1 for AoK in your spare time, but make it more "user friendly" thent he SWGB version.
posted 08-30-05 05:52 PM CT (US)     10 / 24  

Quote:

Do you mean attack bonuses of certain units against other units, like how bounty hunters are effective against Jedi (er, except I don't think AoK has precisely those classes)?

Yep.

Quote:

If that type of information is useful, I can upload the new version of the program. It's largely untested (which is why it's not already available) - editing attack/armour data should theoretically work, though I don't remember trying it, but it does appear to at least read data correctly.

All I need is the data. If you could upload it, that would be excellent. Would save me tons of time.

posted 08-30-05 06:34 PM CT (US)     11 / 24  

Quote:

All I need is the data

Okay, that sounds easier for me
Download as Excel/CSV. Each column represents the attack strength against a certain type of target, and I've labelled what looks like the default and building values. Mandalorian says some of the SWGB ones are:
- Armor/Attack -
0 Fighters
2 Hvy Weapons
5 Bounty Hunters
6 Mechs
11 Buildings
14 Troopers
15 Mounted Troopers
19 Workers
23 Air Cruisers
30 Jedi/Sith
but I don't think there's any other help available about what the other numbers mean
posted 08-30-05 08:36 PM CT (US)     12 / 24  
Thank you very much, Ykkrosh.

I'll see if the damage values match up with my testing. Hopefully that will help me tell what they are.

EDIT: OK, way easier than I thought. Got a good percentage of them without even breaking a sweat.

[This message has been edited by Aro (edited 08-30-2005 @ 08:56 PM).]

posted 08-30-05 10:40 PM CT (US)     13 / 24  
Ykkrosh,

Please upload the new program. List it as...genied2.1 beta? maybe. I would really like to try it!

posted 08-30-05 11:45 PM CT (US)     14 / 24  
I figured out that the 4 and 3 attack/armor types are the melee and pierce base attack/armors.
The unit does that much, plus the bonuses. (You can make a unit do both melee and pierce damage, by the way.)

The attack/armor data is about 70ish bytes from the end of the name of the unit. Listed first is the attack, then the armor. Look for a series of smaller numbers (between 0 and 30ish).

They are in pairs, the class then the amount. There is also a counter that tells how many pairs there are, conveniently place right before the pairs.

A base Melee attack of ten would look like this: (in {} to distingish them.

{01 00} {04 00 0a 00}

And with and attack 100 bonus against buildings:

{01 00} {04 00 0a 00} {0b 00 64 00}

I've not tried to figure very many of the AoK ones out yet, (han't had much reason to yet) but I have these:
(I'm not entirly sure on the archer and cav, but I know for SURE that 11 is buildings.)

3 Base Pierce
4 Base Melee

11 Buildings
13 Buildings (A different type of buildings, my guess is walls.)
15 Archers
16 Calvary

That is about all I know at the moment...

Ykkrosh,
All of this is a LOT easy with GeniEd 1. What I wouldn't give to have an AoK version.
The last time this was brought up, you said that the was a version, but that some offsets would need to be set manually.
Is that hard?

The dat file are so close, there are only differences in the unit data for the different civs, and in the "research" equivilant.
I've been copying and pasting hex data into genie_x1.dat and using GeniEd 1 on a lot of my work.

posted 08-31-05 06:56 AM CT (US)     15 / 24  
GeniEd2.1, highly unofficial and unsupported and untested so don't blame me when it doesn't work

Quote:

I figured out that the 4 and 3 attack/armor types are the melee and pierce base attack/armors.

Aha, that would explain why ranged units only have stuff in the '3' column, which I didn't actually notice

Quote:

All of this is a LOT easy with GeniEd 1. What I wouldn't give to have an AoK version.
The last time this was brought up, you said that the was a version, but that some offsets would need to be set manually.

I've tried running the versions that I have, but now it doesn't seem to work at all even for SWGB's genie.dat (presumably because I've moved to a new computer since writing the code, and the program is somewhat 'delicate' (buggy/unreliable/stupid/rubbish/etc)) - and when it used to work, it still couldn't rewrite AoK's .dat file and couldn't read the techage data.
The easiest way of fixing it would probably be to rewrite it in AOMEd (which is designed to be easily extensible to support reading/writing new data file formats, and actually seems to have succeeded in that), but that's still not particularly easy, and I'd rather spend the time on 0 A.D. and AoE3 instead
posted 08-31-05 09:12 AM CT (US)     16 / 24  
Some of my testing results:

Attack
1 Infantries
3 Base Pirece
4 Base Melee
5 Elephants
8 Horses/Elephants
11 Buildings
13 Towers
15 Archers + Skirmishers + Hand Cannoners + War Wagons + Mameluke(?)
16 Camel/Ships
17 Rams
19 Unique Units
20 Siege Weapons
21 Buildings/Towers(?)
25 Monks
27 Spearmen
29 Eagle Warriors

Armour
4 Pierce Defense
5 Melee Defense

P.S. Modrocker, I am using one of the computers at school to log in here. I can still not access the forum smoothly at home.

[This message has been edited by scenario_t_c (edited 09-01-2005 @ 04:15 AM).]

posted 08-31-05 02:25 PM CT (US)     17 / 24  
Ykkrosh,
Phooey... Oh well, I'll just make do with what I've got then.
Well thanks for GeniEd2.1 though, I'll take a few peeks at it.

Edit:

Works pretty decent! The attack and armor are flawless. Just need work on interpreting some of the number types.

By the way, I've traced a few of the unknowns I figured out in SWGB to thier counterparts in AoK. You should work those into a further version if you ever pick it up again.

I took a peek at 0 A.D. a few weeks ago, looks good.

[This message has been edited by Mandalorian (edited 08-31-2005 @ 02:35 PM).]

posted 08-31-05 06:57 PM CT (US)     18 / 24  
@scenario_t_c

You were very accurate with the testing results. Got the same results, except 21 is infantry vs. buildings (which explains the low bonus size). Tarkan and Petard both have #26 -- still trying to figure that one out.

(Also, #2 is Fireship bonuses vs. other Ships.)

[This message has been edited by Aro (edited 08-31-2005 @ 07:37 PM).]

posted 09-01-05 06:27 AM CT (US)     19 / 24  
@Ykkrosh: I wanted to ask you something about GeniEd 2.1
Why is there this Civilisation section? I mean whenever you select any unit or anything, where you have HP etc fields, over there why is the civilisation field present? And what is Attack Strength and Armor Strength for?

˜*°..°*˜.°*˜˜*°.˜*°..°*˜°*˜˜*°.˜*°..°*˜
_-˜°**°˜-_ »Ruler« .° »of« °. »Hell« _-˜°**°˜-_
˜*°..°*˜˜*°..°*˜.°*˜˜*°.˜*°..°*˜˜*°..°*˜
posted 09-01-05 03:35 PM CT (US)     20 / 24  
Does GeniEd 2.1 allow you to edit attack, armor and what kind of damage a unit does, and what kind of bonuses a unit gets against others?
posted 09-01-05 11:15 PM CT (US)     21 / 24  
ModRocker,

Yes. Check scenario_t_c's last post.

Let me give an example of how this works. In genied2.1 there is an attack field. Lets say I want to give champions a bonus of 12 vs all elephants.

Then in the attack drop down menu I would select "5". In the blank field to the right of that value I would type 12. Then save.

Now the champion should have a bonus of 12 vs elephants.

Edit:

Anyone know what the attack number (i.e.

Attack
1 Infantries
3 Base Pirece
4 Base Melee
5 Elephants
8 Horses/Elephants
11 Buildings
13 Towers
15 Archers + Skirmishers + Hand Cannoners + War Wagons + Mameluke(?)
16 Camel/Ships
17 Rams
19 Unique Units
20 Siege Weapons
21 Buildings/Towers(?)
25 Monks
27 Spearmen
29 Eagle Warriors
31 )

is for Trample Damage?

[This message has been edited by qaz123tfg (edited 09-02-2005 @ 04:47 AM).]

posted 09-02-05 02:48 PM CT (US)     22 / 24  
None. Trample damage is set by giveing a melee unit a "blast radious".
posted 09-02-05 08:15 PM CT (US)     23 / 24  
I see. Does anyone have a complete 'attack number' and 'armour number list' ? Or any additonal ones other than scenario_tc's list?

Attack #6 seems to be the default 1 attack. Every unit in the game (besides monks and perhaps a few others) have an attack of at least 1. Even deer and other gaia units. Even if a unit has armour it will still take at least 1 point of damage. (even if the attack is only 1).

I wonder if the additional armour classes are armour vs specific units or unit types.

Could someone edit the dat so that every civ could build every civs unique units from a castle?
(might need to have one of those little arrows to click [like the dock has] so there is enough room for all the unit icons.)

[This message has been edited by qaz123tfg (edited 09-02-2005 @ 08:21 PM).]

posted 09-02-05 09:55 PM CT (US)     24 / 24  
Might it be so that all the unique units will be available to all civs, we shall have to use the hotkeys. Without the hotkeys, there isn't enough.... so called "room" left. Other units will get "covered" and so we will only need to use hotkeys for the units that get "covered".

˜*°..°*˜.°*˜˜*°.˜*°..°*˜°*˜˜*°.˜*°..°*˜
_-˜°**°˜-_ »Ruler« .° »of« °. »Hell« _-˜°**°˜-_
˜*°..°*˜˜*°..°*˜.°*˜˜*°.˜*°..°*˜˜*°..°*˜
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Mod Design and Discussion » AoK Unit Bonuses, etc.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames