Please login or register

Mod Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Need some help...
posted 10-20-07 01:21 PM CT (US)   
I have some questions on editing the game. As they are answered, I'll edit the topic post.

1)As you can see here, Luke edited the bar on the top so that it displays "The Demon Within - Part II" instead of the status bar.
I'm wondering if I can produce something like that, but more dynamic: as the main character walks around, the display changes to the location. For example: when the character is in a city, the display shows the name of the city. After leaving the city, the display shows something else.
So far so good, I can simply do an age ressearch and the display changes. However, doing so causes a definitive change. If the character returns to the city, the display will not show the name of the city.
Anyway, my point is: is there any way I can change the top bar display whenever I want, as many times as I need?
- Impossible to achieve.

2)Is there any way I can add new slps into the graphics.drs file? And if I do so, how can I make GeniEd detect those graphics, since MPS and GeniEd use different numerical identifiers for the same graphics? - Thread found.
3)Is there any way I can change sounds such as the noise of a clinging blade when a military unit attacks? Where are these sounds stored? Can I add more of those? - Answered partially.
4)What if I want to add new string names into the language.dll file, which program should I use to open it? - Answered.
5)Good sprite sites? - Found.

Requesting closure.

[This message has been edited by Cesar Bernardi (edited 11-10-2007 @ 08:05 PM).]

Replies:
posted 10-22-07 05:40 PM CT (US)     1 / 25  
And I can see posting this in a separate thread doesn't make it any more noticeable.

Thanks a lot for the support, everyone.
posted 10-23-07 00:13 AM CT (US)     2 / 25  
"Thanks a lot for the support, everyone."

Well, I don't see the point in posting that I don't know the answer. But I want you to know that people do read these forums. And generally try to help out.

Have you tried posting the thread in scenario design? Or asking the creator of the scenario?

I would guess that your answer is what you want is not possible because the way the game engine is you can't "revoke" research. I mean if you research to "feudal" you can't research dark, or revert back to dark. So whatever research you do is done and can't be undone. However, the guy that did the trick would likely know more than me about it.
posted 10-23-07 01:30 AM CT (US)     3 / 25  
Anyway, my point is: is there any way I can change the top bar display whenever I want, as many times as I need?
That would be smokin', but I don't think it can be done. Four ages, and that's it with the tools we have available to us. Also, long names are a real pain at 800x600, for those among us that still use that archaic resolution.
One more question: is there any way I can add new slps into the graphics.drs file? And if I do so, how can I make GeniEd detect those graphics, since MPS and GeniEd use different numerical identifiers for the same graphics?
Had that same issue, and from what I've read it's just too damned complicated to be worth the effort. I think one of the guys here may be able to explain it in detail, but I found it easier just to use up one of the many useless .SLPs.

And don't be so grumpy, you old bastard.

Luke Gevaerts » Website · YouTube · Backloggery

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that.
I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." - Frank Zappa

OD · AoKH
posted 10-23-07 09:29 AM CT (US)     4 / 25  
But I want you to know that people do read these forums. And generally try to help out.
I'm aware of that, this is not the first thread I start on the MD forums. I've just grown a little impatient after waiting an entire week (counting the days I've posted this in the Guidance Center) with my doubts unanswered, while some guy who started another "Help me" thread had his questions answered on the very same day...

I guess I'm just used to the SD forums... there are more people there, so there's more chance of getting an answer quickly. Sorry if I sounded too harsh or anything.
Have you tried posting the thread in scenario design?
My guess is that, since this involves data editing, people will say "This belongs to the MD forums" or "I don't think that's possible".

I've found a way to add new graphics. I'm surprised I didn't remembered that thread, since I've even posted on it...
And don't be so grumpy, you old bastard.
Will try to.
Also, long names are a real pain at 800x600, for those among us that still use that archaic resolution.
My monitor works at a 1280x1024 resolution... I wish I could use that in AOK.

BTW, do you use 800x600?

Well, thanks for the support guys, I guess. I'll try not to be as grumpy and search a little more before posting.

[This message has been edited by Cesar Bernardi (edited 10-23-2007 @ 09:30 AM).]

posted 10-23-07 09:31 AM CT (US)     5 / 25  
I think you can, there is a slp. graphic that you can change via MPS. You can do it..i think.

Click:T®ideÑt Team.
The only Masterbastion problem you have is when you don't! - Dr Lorenzo
~~~~~~+1~~~~~~
Damn them babies in sector twelve! - Aro
74% of forummers will copy and paste something into their sig just becasue someone else's sig has told them to. If you are part of the 26% who think that is a retarded thing to do, copy and paste this into yo... oh bugger.

[This message has been edited by SCN_TRident_Team (edited 10-23-2007 @ 09:32 AM).]

posted 10-23-07 02:00 PM CT (US)     6 / 25  
My monitor works at a 1280x1024 resolution... I wish I could use that in AOK.
Uhm... I just finished the modded interface for that resolution, so I think you can.

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that.
I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." - Frank Zappa

OD · AoKH

[This message has been edited by Luke Gevaerts (edited 10-23-2007 @ 02:00 PM).]

posted 10-23-07 04:49 PM CT (US)     7 / 25  
Topic post edited with another question.
Uhm... I just finished the modded interface for that resolution, so I think you can.
Where can I get it?
posted 10-23-07 07:03 PM CT (US)     8 / 25  
I think the rare Genied2 Version 3 had sound editing stuff in it.

Who watches the Watchmen?
Still Cristian, proud of it, etc...
"You are an important piece of my puzzle..."
Impaled Saren, executed Illidan, bludgeoned Big Daddy, and exploded Gravemind. What now?
Repent! Xenu is coming! Or so Tom Cruise would have you believe.
Boom. Headshot. Yes, I play FPS's.
posted 10-23-07 07:08 PM CT (US)     9 / 25  
rare Genied2 Version 3
I don't see how it's rare. I have it.

All you have to do is to run a search by author, searching for "scenario_t_c". Click the thread about Genied 2.3 then.

Indeed, it has sound editing. But merely voices, such as the selection sound of an unit.

I want to change sound effects. For example, when an infantry unit attacks, there's a metal clinging effect. Where is that sound stored? How can I change it? How can I add more sounds to where it is stored?
posted 10-30-07 05:26 PM CT (US)     10 / 25  
Me thinks this could be useful for you.

The sounds you're talking about are stored in the sounds.drs file in the DATA folder, just like unit graphics are stored in graphics.drs. You can extract them and import new ones using ModPack Studio.

I have no clue on adding new sounds, sorry.
posted 10-31-07 01:21 AM CT (US)     11 / 25  
Sounds are stored in the sounds.drs and is opened with modpack studio 2.0. Finding sounds is a little more difficult than finding graphics, there is a list i believe.
posted 10-31-07 02:42 AM CT (US)     12 / 25  
If you wanted to change the sounds with another then change them in geniEd

Click:T®ideÑt Team.
The only Masterbastion problem you have is when you don't! - Dr Lorenzo
~~~~~~+1~~~~~~
Damn them babies in sector twelve! - Aro
74% of forummers will copy and paste something into their sig just becasue someone else's sig has told them to. If you are part of the 26% who think that is a retarded thing to do, copy and paste this into yo... oh bugger.
posted 11-04-07 01:35 PM CT (US)     13 / 25  
What if I want to add new string names into the language.dll file, which program should I use to open it?
If anyone knows, I desperately need to know how to do it. Is there any way to hack into the language.dll file?
posted 11-04-07 07:25 PM CT (US)     14 / 25  
Any Hex editor will do. There is a link to a couple in the Modpack Guidance Centre under the section 'DLL editting'.

Silk
Spore | Whisper | Girl Genius
Alvays remember: any plan where hyu lose hyu hat iz a BAD PLAN.
OMGWTFBBQ
posted 11-04-07 09:26 PM CT (US)     15 / 25  
Can I add new text strings into the language.dll or just edit them?
posted 11-04-07 09:39 PM CT (US)     16 / 25  
Trying to add new strings into a binary file doesn't sound like the smartest idea, but I'm not exactly the authority on the subject.

Silk
Spore | Whisper | Girl Genius
Alvays remember: any plan where hyu lose hyu hat iz a BAD PLAN.
OMGWTFBBQ
posted 11-04-07 09:40 PM CT (US)     17 / 25  
Trying to add new strings into a binary file doesn't sound like the smartest idea
Gotta agree with you on that one.
posted 11-05-07 06:23 AM CT (US)     18 / 25  
I think you can add new strings with Resource Hacker; the main problem, for as far as I can see, is to get the game to actually use them.

Edit:

It might be useful to know that the interface sounds are stored in the third table of interfac.drs.

OD · AoKH

[This message has been edited by Luke Gevaerts (edited 11-05-2007 @ 06:24 AM).]

posted 11-05-07 11:46 AM CT (US)     19 / 25  
I have a dislike for reading threads before noon, so if you already got your answers, sorry but here goes:

3. The sound is under the ATTACK GRAPHIC. Open GeniED1, text folder, graphics_other.txt, go to the attack graphic of say, champion, and it will have a sound file number. Change that. That is the simplest way to change to any other sound ALREADY in the game.

5. looking for link... this is the greatest site for unit animations, unfortunately I haven't figured out a simple way to get the into AoK. Figure that out and I will kiss you. link:http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=196395

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king

[This message has been edited by matty12345 (edited 11-05-2007 @ 11:54 AM).]

posted 11-05-07 11:55 AM CT (US)     20 / 25  
Trying to add new strings into a binary file doesn't sound like the smartest idea, but I'm not exactly the authority on the subject.
It can be done using Reshacker; there's loads of entries that don't use up their maximum number of lines, and you can create new lines there, just number them right. You're basically editing empty strings rather than creating new ones.
I've added at least 50 new lines for Age of Chivalry.

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
posted 11-05-07 12:36 PM CT (US)     21 / 25  
5. looking for link... this is the greatest site for unit animations, unfortunately I haven't figured out a simple way to get the into AoK. Figure that out and I will kiss you. link:http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=196395

OMG! I do

You need to download Civ3MM Toolkit, which can be found here. It's the CivIII equivalent of ModPack Studio. Then you simply run the Civ3FlcEdit program (flc files are CivIII's equivalent of .slp, again). Open any unit, say, one you downloaded from the unit library, and use its built-in feature to extract the bmps one-by-one, which can be used for ModPack Studio, et voilà!

Kiss me.
posted 11-05-07 03:59 PM CT (US)     22 / 25  
Not yet

I sort of knew all that, but for some reason the shadows aren't right, so when you bring them into aok there are a few pixels around the edge and the shadow that are screwed up. Unless I was to go through each frame and colour individual pixels, I do not know how to get rid of this problem. Now figure out a way to avoid this problem and I will French kiss you .

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 11-05-07 07:17 PM CT (US)     23 / 25  
It can be done using Reshacker; there's loads of entries that don't use up their maximum number of lines, and you can create new lines there, just number them right. You're basically editing empty strings rather than creating new ones.
I've added at least 50 new lines for Age of Chivalry.
Hrm... So you've not only added new lines, but managed to get the game to actually use them. How'd you do that?

OD · AoKH
posted 11-06-07 05:44 AM CT (US)     24 / 25  
Hrm... So you've not only added new lines, but managed to get the game to actually use them. How'd you do that?
Just use genied 1 or 2 and give the new string number to the unit/building you want to alter.

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
posted 11-09-07 08:53 AM CT (US)     25 / 25  
K, since I got my questions answered: Shadowflare, close this if possible.

BTW, I've been hearing complains about me posting offensive pics... I've checked the thread (launched about a year ago), and I'm pretty sure there was some error in ImageShack... they might have deleted my pic and given someone else, coincidentally, the exact same url...

Was the naked chick hot at least?

EDIT: It'd be nice if someone was to add a tutorial on adding new strings...

[This message has been edited by Cesar Bernardi (edited 11-10-2007 @ 08:07 PM).]

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Mod Design and Discussion » Need some help...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames