Topic Subject: Map Game: 13th Century Continued
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 36 37 38 39 40 ··· 43  Next Page »
posted 01-28-13 10:05 AM CT (US)   

Current Year: 1207

Honourary Host: fr steve
Current Host: Taichud
Current Co-host: Popeychops
Map Makers: Popeychops, Jetkill Fastmurderer

Hi everyone! The game has begun but you can still join it!

The game starts in 1200 AD, and occures from Western Europe to Ural/Caucasus, and from Iceland to Maghreb. Here is the map:

How to play?

First, you must choose a nation. All coloured nations can be chosen, but you can only choose one. Some nations aren't totally independent or united but you can still choose them since they historically could have become independent during the Middle Ages and remain interesting enough to deserve to be played separately.

You cannot choose a nation in white. The reasons are multiple: rather unexciting, not at all or almost not a united nation, no historical logic chance to forge an empire in 1200, etc.

Once your nation is chosen, the game begins. You will be given a summary of what just happened in your nation in 1200 and useful information about it. Then, you will have to write some actions you wish to do in your nation, as if you were its ruler. These may be administrative reforms, recruitment of an army, invasion of a country, suppression of insurgency, trading, construction of a war fleet...

Every time you do important actions, I, the Host will write the consequences of your action, which can be various. Although I'll surely be a bit subjective, these consequences will rely on historical and logical probability.

The Host will often describe events happening in the world, like a non-playable/non-played country invading a territory or suffering from an invasion, riots happening in your country, a revolutionary invention, etc. It will be up to you to decide what to do depending on these events.

Once enough actions are done, or if all players have done actions, a year will elapse, and new events will occure, following what happened during the new year in real history.

The game will end:
-if the game lasts long enough to reach year 1492 (generally admitted to be the end of the Middle Ages);
-when only one religion remains and if all members of this religion aren't warring;
-when countries forming an unbreakable alliance have vanquished all other players and playable countries.

Additional rules

1) All playable nations don't require a player for the game to begin. Nevertheless, the more you are, the nicest it will be!

2) Even when the game has begun, you can still join it.

3) The Host IS the master of this game. All he says must be taken in account. However, if he makes a statement and more than 50% of players think the Host is doing wrong, he will revise his statement.

4) This game is a fun but historical game. Fun means you are not forced to follow History to perform your actions and may do things that didn't happen in history. Historical means you cannot do things that History would have never retained. This is linked to logic. For instance:
-when a battle occures, size of armies, equipment, historical tactics (if there are), etc. will be taken in account;
-when you invade a country, the might and historical context of the country you invade will also affect your invasion (religion, feeling about the invader...). This may depend on what you did before though, so the Dungeonist won't necessarily be harsh with you.

5) There are things you obviously cannot do: using anachronistic inventions, conquering a land off the map, invoking godly powers, using magic... If you doubt about the plausibility of an action while I accepted it, please tell it.

How about no technologies invented more ten years before real history?

6) If you are not sure about the plausibility of an action you wish to do, you can tell me so that I answer you or make researches about it. The Dungeonist may however not find an answer to your question.

7) You must talk in 3rd person when doing your actions, like this: 'The king does...', 'Poland sends troops over...' or even 'Der König attacks...'.

8) You must bold your actions such as I do.

9) If more than 50% of players think the game is being unfinishable, they may vote in order to end the game.

10) A defeated player may re-play as another playable nation if he wishes to.

Now, enough rules! You can choose among the 45 coloured nations on the map. Again, remember some of them aren't united yet, so I may ask you what entity of the nation you wish to play initially (Powys in Wales, for example). It will then be your job to unite all other entities, which is easily feasible.

If you don't know where's a country or want more info about it, please tell me and I'll tell you what you need to know.

And now, let the game begins!

Players:

-den cekke: Duchy of Brabant
-Mozzarella Man: Kingdom of Poland
-HockeySam18: Kingdom of Hungary
-TheIanOakley: Bulgarian Empire
-Popeychops: Kingdom of Italy
-Julius999: Papal States
-Excelsior: Kingdom of Scotland
-Jetkill Fastmurder: Holy Roman Empire
-Sarn: Kingdom of France
-RedHandedJill: Kingdom of Aragon
-Edorix: Kingdom of Wales
-HenryCabotLodge: Livonian Brothers of the Sword
-WindchILL: Republic of Novgorod
-Mazares: Kingdom of Denmark
-Commander Scipio: Republic of Venice

[This message has been edited by Taichud (edited 03-20-2013 @ 10:38 AM).]

Replies:
posted 03-18-13 06:36 AM CT (US)     926 / 1056  
Perhaps the fact that my dad was in the tactics part of the army, and I read a few of his books? Besides a few other non-Age of Empires warfare books?

Also, if we couldn't unite Ireland, how is Tyrone doing it? I'm not whining, I'm just pointing out that I don't understand what is going on. I'm the kind of person where I don't just buy it when I'm told I'm wrong, I have to be told I'm wrong and reasons why.

So, I'll do a few tactics.
Alexander suggests the Welsh and Irish archers direct their fire on the knights horsemen of Tyrone's army from behind their chevaux-de-fris. He hopes that the Welsh longbows will prove even more effective against the lighter armored Irish knights. He also suggests the army place footpits in certain places in front and flanks of the position.

When the archers have weakened the Tyrannical cavalry enough, Domnall's cavalry should charge and clear them out of the field, then charge the Tyrannical archers. When that is complete, the Desmond kerns should charge the Tyrannic kerns while the Desmond cavalry should charge their rear.

If these succeed, the Tyrannic gallowglasses will be caught between the Desmond anvil of gallowglasses and Welsh pikes, while the kerns, archery, and cavalry do their work on the rears.

He however points out that all this depends on the way the battle goes, these are just suggestions that he believes will help.

EDIT: Just found an interesting bit of info on wikipedia, though I don't credit the source as well as a first-hand site; Gallowglasses were of Scotch origin, and settled in Ireland after being dispossessed in the Scotch wars of independence. They only becane Irish after the Irish began copying them. Sooooo, Alexander sends an envoy to his fellow countrymen, offering to hire them into Scotch service and prevent them from having to fight against their countrymen. He points out that they currently serve Tyrone for his money, and yet Alexander is their brother who wishes to hire them. He urges them to remember their native country and loyalty, as if Tyrone wins he will surely direct them to fight their brothers.

He also points out that Tyrone has spent almost all of his treasury, his lands are being taken by Alexander, and Tyrone is ravaging Desmond's countryside to win, so the pay of the Gallowglasses, or even their estates, are likely to be non-existent after this battle. He urges them to change sides while they still can.
Of course, Tyrone does not know that Scotland is not exactly rich. I expect that he really ought to have decent regard for the Scots, due to their taking large portions of England and turning the Norman estates over to Desmond, which no Irishman has been able to do.

[This message has been edited by Excelsior (edited 03-18-2013 @ 07:22 AM).]

posted 03-18-13 08:58 AM CT (US)     927 / 1056  
I do not think this game and me are well-suited.
Sending such a big army just to try to "unite" Ireland was a bad idea from the beginning so don't blame Popey for it.
Popey wasn't in charge when the invasion was begun, so we didn't reckon with his standards of realism. It's okay for you who has been playing cautiously all along.

Meirionydd recommends a deep formation in the centre with the most experienced troops to the back preventing the rawer recruits from fleeing (although not so deep they can be outflanked); according to Scotland's plan, the infantry must hold the line long enough for the cavalry engagement to be concluded favourably, and Meirionydd agrees this is probably their best chance. Tyrone has missile superiority, but they have the slope in their favour, so it is probably in their interest to try and close the gap as fast as possible (although the men are not to exhaust themselves by throwing everything into one charge, because their priority is to hold the line until the cavalry can turn the tide). However, Llewelyn's longbowmen have superior range as well as power, so while staying out of range of the enemy archers they should exhaust their ammo on the numerically superior enemy gallowglasses; only after this should Domnall charge - and if Tyrone tries to close the gap first, he will the one charging uphill.

Meirionydd suggests that a number of light spearmen be deployed amongst the cavalry on the wings, to ensure that the cavalry engagement goes well. His pikes should not be deployed on the very front line as they will need some time before engagement to get back into formation; perhaps they could serve in this role, their stout pikes lending themselves very well to spearing men off horses but their lack of armour or large shield allowing them to run fast.

Meirionydd himself and his teulu of a few score heavily-armoured horsemen will join one of the cavalry wings, but will be at the back; once the two wings collide he will break off and come round to charge the same wing from a different angle. The other Southern Irish knights are to be made privy to this plan only just before the battle, so they are not disheartened by the Welsh departure but so that they do not have time to reveal the plan to the enemy.

One final messenger is sent to Tyrone. He is to accept Domnall's sovereignty and disband his army or he will be removed from the kingship of Ulster.

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 03-18-2013 @ 09:48 AM).]

posted 03-18-13 11:13 AM CT (US)     928 / 1056  
He also suggests the army place footpits in certain places in front and flanks of the position.
Don't forget your caltrops and stakes in front of the archers.

Also keep in mind that you must have siege engines from your siege on Castle Tyrone (Catapults, Mangonels, Onagers, Ballistae, and siege equipment for archers to take cover behind) that you both may deploy and use to your advantage.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frćndr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauđan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 03-18-13 12:20 PM CT (US)     929 / 1056  
I mentioned chevaux-de-fris, but I don't think calthrops are that useful. Still, Popey likes them, sooo: Alexander suggests calthrops be used.
posted 03-18-13 12:43 PM CT (US)     930 / 1056  
EDIT: Just found an interesting bit of info on wikipedia, though I don't credit the source as well as a first-hand site; Gallowglasses were of Scotch origin, and settled in Ireland after being dispossessed in the Scotch wars of independence. They only becane Irish after the Irish began copying them. Sooooo, Alexander sends an envoy to his fellow countrymen, offering to hire them into Scotch service and prevent them from having to fight against their countrymen. He points out that they currently serve Tyrone for his money, and yet Alexander is their brother who wishes to hire them. He urges them to remember their native country and loyalty, as if Tyrone wins he will surely direct them to fight their brothers.
I'm afraid not. I'm using Gallowglass in its later and more general meaning, as a professional Irish soldier.
Caltrops, fine, but remember that battle was upon you before you started laying them, and your own cavalry will have to ride over them in order to attack.
Tyrone doesn't have to charge uphill, Edorix, they chose to approach along a hill (I had a look at the geography of Wexford, there was no easily-defensible ground on the road into the town). There is a slight incline favouring the defenders, but it will not be a decisive factor.

Aodh Méith sends this reply to Domnall's letter:

You are a weak king hiding behind Welsh spears and Scottish gold. You are unable to control the lords of Connaught and Meath, and soon you will only be king of your own dung-heap. I am the King of Ireland. If you surrender now, your life shall be spared and your exile will be confortable.
My men are soldiers. Yours are farmers and mouldy Welshmen. You will meet your end on this battlefield.

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile

[This message has been edited by Popeychops (edited 03-18-2013 @ 12:45 PM).]

posted 03-18-13 02:00 PM CT (US)     931 / 1056  
Alas, I was hoping... I need to get some Scotch professional soldiers, like true Gallowglasses!
Alexander suggests Domnall keep negotiations up with Tyrone, learning the terms of what Domnall would get if he were to surrender the High Kingship to Tyrone. This is to allow Alexander and his men to get there. Sneaky, true, but better than the backstabbing method.
posted 03-18-13 02:49 PM CT (US)     932 / 1056  
Modern day tactics are completely different from medieval tactics. Anyway Taichud and Popey should have the same severity in their actions. Else it wouldn't be fair for us Northern countries.
posted 03-18-13 04:11 PM CT (US)     933 / 1056  
Hello all I was wondering if I might join this this game? I would enjoy to be the Livonian Brothers of the Sword if it remains open.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.
Gandalf, J.R.R.Tolkien
posted 03-18-13 04:20 PM CT (US)     934 / 1056  
It just got left open, the other player didn't have enough human players around, though he seemed to be doing alright for the Brothers. If you want to play them, I'm sure Popey and Taichud will let you, I just thought I'd warn you about the lack of human neighbors...
posted 03-18-13 04:29 PM CT (US)     935 / 1056  
I appreciate your concern, but I still want to play them, principally because I want to be an out of the way country in addition to the fact I like a monastic state that is not in as precious a situation as the crusaders in the Levant. And if worse comes to worse I suppose I can change, but I would want to give the Brothers a fair try.
posted 03-18-13 04:47 PM CT (US)     936 / 1056  
Hello, I am WindchILL, and I would also like to join this game, as Novgorod if at all possible

Also, a brief rundown of my nation, it leaders (I know it's a republic, so I'm curious how that will work) / population / political atmosphere, would be greatly appreciated

[This message has been edited by WindchILL (edited 03-18-2013 @ 06:39 PM).]

posted 03-18-13 09:09 PM CT (US)     937 / 1056  
Hello, I was wondering if I might join this game? I would ideally like to play a Sweden if I can.
posted 03-18-13 10:11 PM CT (US)     938 / 1056  
This got advertised or something?

EDIT: I could not get a response to these:

The Emperor demands that as per the treaty, the new Duke of Friesland swear fealty to the Empire and promise to pledge troops in the campaigns. The Frieslandic tribes are war-hungry and might earn loot and prestige if allowed on Imperial expeditions. Calls to arms can be based upon the blood-thirstiness of the people .

Spies are sent ahead to Bohemia to map the geography and sow the seeds of discontent.

Assuming it is Winter here, Otto asks the King of Poland whether he will be able to provide troops for invading Bohemia in the summer.

With trade growing in the North Sea, Otto requests Scotland, Norway and Sweden for a mutual reduction in tariffs to encourage trade.

With roads in the rest of the Empire in pristine condition, Otto asks whether this has boosted trade by providing shorter and safer routes. The standing army is ordered to protect the major and minor trade routes.

[This message has been edited by Jetkill Fastmurder (edited 03-18-2013 @ 10:23 PM).]

posted 03-18-13 10:22 PM CT (US)     939 / 1056  
@Popey, Excelsior, Edorix:
Caltrops and stakes in front of the archers and pikes will not block the cavalry, unless you happen to be in a tight chokepoint (the cavalry can just ride around them and attack from the sides). Seeing as the battle is already upon you, you wouldn't have time to litter the whole battlefield with caltrops anyway, just protect your archers with them.

@HenryCabotLodge, WindchILL, and Mazares:
Welcome! The nations that each of you have chosen are open. Popey or Taichud will likely post your civ "briefing" soon.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frćndr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauđan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 03-19-13 03:45 AM CT (US)     940 / 1056  

Livonian Brothers of the Sword
HenryCabotLodge

Current leader: Bishop Albert of Riga
Capital: Riga
Religion: Catholic Christianity (de jure), Pagan (de facto)
Population: about 400,000 inhabitants
Main languages: Livonian, Old German, Latin
Diplomacy in 1207: At war with the Estonians to the north. Surrounded by hosile Pagan or Orthodox neighbours. Close ties with Rome and the Holy Roman Empire.

Formed in 1204 as an order of warrior monks, the Livonia Brothers of the Sword are a missionary Order sent to tame the Pagans of Livonia and Lithuania. The ground is fertile, and the seeds of the Gospel may well produce much fruit in this corner of Europe.

While your economy is continually in dire straights, order is kept by the fanatical support of the armed ruling class. You are the only state in Europe to rely entirely on a professional army independent of peasant levies. Your coffers are kept brimming with coin from the Catholic nations the other side of Lithuania. Now is the time for conquest!

Republic of Novgorod
WindchILL

Current leader: Prince Sviatoslav VI Vsevolodovich
Capital: Novgorod
Religion: Orthodox Christianity
Population: about 900,000 inhabitants
Main languages: Russian, Mixed Slavic, Finnish
Diplomacy in 1207: Bordered by hostile Catholic or Pagan neighbours. Broken relations with Constantionple.

The ancient Principality of Novgorod is both weak and strong. It stands as the only power with the chance to unite the Russian people, and yet stands alone in the corner of the fringe of Europe. The time is ripe for action.

And yet, distant lands have brought word of a nameless fear. Something has arisen in the east, a horrible demon sent by God to scourge the world. Russia must grow strong, Russia must befriend the rest of Europe and gain their support, if it is to withstand the might of the legions of Hell.

Kingdom of Denmark
Mazares

Current leader: King Valdemar II the Victorious
Capital: Arhus
Religion: Caholic Christianity
Population: about 2,200,000 inhabitants
Main languages: Danish, Swedish, German
Diplomacy in 1207: War with Sweden. Rivalry with the Holy Roman Empire for supremacy in the north sea.

Denmark is easily the most powerful kingdom in northern Europe. Since embracing Christianity, the Vikings have been a powerful weapon against Paganism for the Church, and have duly been allowed free reign against their neighbours. They currently dominate Sweden and northeast Germany. This is, however, something of an identity crisis for the Danes. Are they a Germanic people, or Scandinavian? To favour one is to alienate the other, but to favour neither is to alienate both. Denmark should perhaps decide in which direction it seeks to expand.

The Danish fleet is a key trading power in the North and Baltic seas. This key service keeps Arhus rich and the Danish armies powerful. By ensuring the profit of its merchants, success in Sweden is assured. Denmark may find many friends amongst its near neighbours, and many easy targets. All of Scandinavia could be united under the white cross, should its king rule wisely.

Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile

[This message has been edited by Popeychops (edited 03-19-2013 @ 07:00 AM).]

posted 03-19-13 06:18 AM CT (US)     941 / 1056  
I think I've done all I can for Domnall's cause. If there is no strategic advantage in where Domnall has chosen to give battle, I wonder why he chose to give it, but so be it. Let's get this over with - if Excelsior has nothing further to add.

posted 03-19-13 06:39 AM CT (US)     942 / 1056  
I will play as Denmark in that case, thanks for the warning.
posted 03-19-13 06:46 AM CT (US)     943 / 1056  
Domnall has chosen to give battle, I wonder why he chose to give it
Because it was essentially forced on him. If he doesn't give battle where he is, then the stragglers for his army will be killed and he'll be chased around the country until he's cornered. He'd also appear weak, which would cause his vassals to defect.

Are you done with the morning-of-the-battle preparations, or would you like me to wait before I resolve it?

posted 03-19-13 06:46 AM CT (US)     944 / 1056  
I'm afraid I have nothing to add. I know stakes were used in front of archers, and maybe calthrops. To be honest, I don't think calthrops are an efficient use of iron, so I really prefer to go with pits in front of the units that won't move, and chevaux-de-fris stakes.

This battle will depend on who uses better combined arms tactics. I hope Popey will let Ed fight like the first battle of Rome v. Gaul in WttV, as that's about the only way I see Domnall winning. Unless Popey puts decides that the longbow has pretty good effect against the lightly armed Irishmen and knights. That's about the only way I see Domnall winning, to devestate the Irish cavalry, charge the Irish archery, then cavalry and kerns charge Tyrone's now outnumbered, (and demoralized at the loss of their nobility)kerns, then swing the hammer down on the Gallowglasses. If this succeeds, Domnall's men should be re-moralized, and Tyrone's loyal nobility will be sorely diminished.

[This message has been edited by Excelsior (edited 03-19-2013 @ 06:48 AM).]

posted 03-19-13 07:10 AM CT (US)     945 / 1056  
You've given me a pretty detailed battle plan, so I don't see why you'd need to change it on the fly. If you're going to attack, doesn't that negate the usefulness of digging pits?

The Battle of Wexford, pt 1
  • Domnall opens the battle with a cavalry charge, knowing that he must defeat the enemy's own cavalry if he is to manoeuvre adequately. With fire from his own archers, the wings of his army clatter into the enemy knights at full gallop, close to Tyrone's lines. Both sets of Knights fight bravely, but Kerns from the Army of Tyrone drive off this first charge.

• The Welsh longbowmen prove deadly, being able to harass the enemy at a distance, felling man and horse with frightening ferocity. Some of Tyrone's own archers wield similar bows, but their reply is muted and the Welsh skirmish ahead of the main bulk of Domnall's army. The army of Tyrone is forced into closing the distance, to use it's superior numbers of bows against the enemy. As they draw closer, the longbowmen try to slip between the ranks of Domnall's Kerns.

• Their flanks screened by spears, the Gallowglaighs clash, with steel on steel ringing to the heavens. Domnall's own Gallowglasses are overwhelmed, they defend themselves well, but the Kerns they are defending from the enemy take severe casualties. Domnall holds the welsh pikes in reserve, not wishing to risk losing them and permitting the Tyrone cavalry to roam freely.

Attacking Casualties:
    220 Knights
    45 Gallowglaighs
    150 Kerns
    100 Archers

Defending Casualties:
    200 Knights
    50 Gallowglaighs
    100 Longbowmen
    200 Kerns

(Morale is evenly matched)

[This message has been edited by Popeychops (edited 03-19-2013 @ 07:19 AM).]

• posted 03-19-13 07:33 AM CT (US)     946 / 1056  
    I see. I should have advised the kerns to charge as well, for then our charge probably would have gone through, and Tyrone's kerns may have been taken as well. This is the kind of learning battle I like!

Ed, perhaps a combined charge of remaining cavalry, this time supported by the Welsh, may be effective? I read the Welsh were excellent against cavalry even without pikes.

[This message has been edited by Excelsior (edited 03-19-2013 @ 07:42 AM).]

posted 03-19-13 09:37 AM CT (US)     947 / 1056  
    Meirionydd sends a swift messenger back to Domnall during quarter. He strongly urges committing the Welsh pikemen now, as it is crucial that the cavalry engagement should be won, and fairly quickly: Domnall's kerns cannot be expected to stand long against Tyrone's superior gallowglasses.

Meirionydd's teulu will attempt their manoeuvre after the next charge.

Meirionydd goes round the Irish knights on his wing, reminding them how crucial it is that as soon as Tyrone's knights have been truly put to flight that they turn to rejoin the battle.

posted 03-19-13 10:59 AM CT (US)     948 / 1056  
  • The knights and pikemen receive the brunt of the arrows loosed by Tyrone's archers. In the centre, the Galloglaighs are hacking their way through the enemy, with some of Domnall's Kerns put to flight.
    When the second charge connects with the cavalry of Tyrone, the reserve of Kerns counter-charge Domnall and his knights. The assault, which has bloodied the enemy cavalry, has been extremely costly, as King Domnall himself is surrounded and dragged from his horse. A great cheer rises across the battlefield, with the King captured, the Welsh must lead the remains of Domnall's army if they are to install him on the throne of Ireland...

• The pikemen begin to advance on the cavalry, who withdraw, taking casualties. The pikemen turn onto the flank of Tyrone's center, inflicting casualties onto the light infantry there, but are charged by the light infantry that were skirmishing with the remains of Domnall's cavalry.
    Both pairs of cavalry have ridden away from the main engagement, to act without fear of the enemy's spears.

Attacking Casualties:
    600 Knights
    850 Kerns

Defending Casualties:
    500 Knights
    600 Kerns (and 400 routed)
    100 Pikemen (the rest are on the verge of running)

The army of Tyrone feels as if it is winning. Domnall's army will break unless its Welsh leader strikes back.

[This message has been edited by Popeychops (edited 03-19-2013 @ 12:42 PM).]

• posted 03-19-13 11:17 AM CT (US)     949 / 1056  
    Okay, so Domnall numbers 1300 knights to Tyrone's 1180. Not much of an advantage, but some.

I hope the Teulu change the tide. There was actually a battle in Hungary where 60 of the royal bodyguard charged and turned the tide from loss to victory, so I'm hoping 100 Teulu can do the same. *crosses fingers*

A messenger arrives (maybe) from Alexander, in order to inform Domnall that he is on his way, though still a day/s away. This is to encourage the men.
    posted 03-19-13 11:30 AM CT (US)     950 / 1056  
    Okay, here are my first actions:

Bishop Albert issues a decree encouraging the use of Latin as the language of the upper governance of the Livonian Brotherhood. He also decrees that grammar schools are to be established in Riga to teach the inhabitants to speak Latin (Note: this is not forcing the people to use the language constantly, but to learn it).

The Bishop deploys spies into the Estonian region to learn of its geography and military capabilities.

(I believe I saw this earlier in the thread: that the Estonian Duke rebelled from the Livonian Brothers) The Bishop sends an envoy to the rebel Estonian "Duke", that if he is willing to submit to the Livonian Brothers' authority, be re-incorporated into their possessions, and renounce his claim as duke he will be pardoned and will retain his lands and other titles.

He also begins to muster his army in preparation to subdue the Estonians if diplomacy fails.(How large is my professional army?)

The Bishop begins a peaceful missionary campaign to convert the pagan peoples of his lands to the true faith. The missionaries are to report any ways they succeed in converting pagans, as well as any severe errors they encounter in their work.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.
    Gandalf, J.R.R.Tolkien

[This message has been edited by HenryCabotLodge (edited 03-19-2013 @ 06:54 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 36 37 38 39 40 ··· 43  Next Page »
    Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » Map Game: 13th Century Continued
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames