You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: microsoft games will no longer support AOE and AOK/AOC matchmaking on the zone
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6 ··· 7  Next Page »
posted 04-26-06 02:21 PM CT (US)   
A very sad message from microsoft games.

from http://www.ensemblestudios.com/

MSN Casual Gamers has just announced today that as of June 19th, the MSN Gaming Zone will no longer be supporting CD-Rom games. This means that players will no longer be able to use the Zone matchmaking service for Age of Empires titles.

This includes Age of Empires, Rise of Rome, Age of Empires II, and The Conquerors expansion. We at Ensemble Studios were recently made aware of this and will be actively looking for possible solutions for this situation over the coming weeks.

For more information please read the Full Announcement and the Age of Empires Announcement at the Zone.

from http://zone.msn.com/en/general/article/aoferetiring.htm

Age of Empires matchmaking to be retired on MSN Games – thank you so much for playing!

We’d like to offer a big “thank-you!” to everyone who has played and enjoyed Age of Empires and Age of Empires II on MSN Games. Some of the top players in the world have challenged each other here, and we’re proud to have facilitated those games.

As of June 19, 2006, we will be retiring our CD-ROM matchmaking service. Please see the Ensemble Studios website for more information on Age of Empires and Age of Empires II multiplayer gaming!

And for more civilization-versus-civilization strategy fun, we also recommend the latest installment in Ensemble’s award-winning series, Age of Empires III. This game features built-in matchmaking, so you’ll never lack for new opponents and challenges.

For more information on this change to MSN Games, please see our article, Beyond the Zone!

Replies:
posted 05-01-06 08:19 PM CT (US)     76 / 165  
It won't suck if you get a Mac!

Oh wait, I forgot, you could just buy subscriptions to GameSpy Arcade every year for the rest of your life and still have enough left over to support a family of 12 rather than use that money to buy a Mac.

[This message has been edited by Saint Mungo (edited 05-02-2006 @ 03:15 PM).]

posted 05-01-06 10:26 PM CT (US)     77 / 165  
u have to pay to use gamespy? what a bunch of pussys. im never using gamespy. gamespy can suck my hardcore mongolian balls. i might save up some money to get a mac, that way saintmungo can own me in aok over and over. Mungo, u havent won a game till u have won it against sloppisloth! im telling you, I used to play in expert only rooms cus the host said i was fun to kill. and i am!
posted 05-02-06 05:32 AM CT (US)     78 / 165  

Quote:

gamespy can suck my hardcore mongolian balls.

Sad, you might want to get rid of your obsession before you believe those guys.

Gamespy is free if you allow advertisements to be displayed while you transfer to a room once in awhile.
paying only gets rid of the ads and allows you to do more.

Ignorance these days... I'm probably ignorant too since I dont have a mac :P

the thing is, I can't find aoe2 mac version in any store and ordering it is so expensive...

[This message has been edited by rashiner (edited 05-02-2006 @ 05:34 AM).]

posted 05-02-06 05:40 AM CT (US)     79 / 165  
At my local mac store, they've got a big ol' Gold Edition sitting there for 30 dollars...
posted 05-02-06 06:05 AM CT (US)     80 / 165  
Mungo stop, please. I really hope your not serious in any way, shape or form, no AoCer in their right mind is going to be switching to gamespy in the first place but getting a Mac to play AoC, really has got to be the most retarded suggestion i've heard yet. Anyways, I'm pretty sure your just kidding, so ignore this post
posted 05-02-06 06:18 AM CT (US)     81 / 165  
you sir, might have an idea?

Nevermind, just let ES do their thing.

I certainly am satisfied with fenris, that old git (or middle aged lol), and the rest of the society if I can find the right time.

[This message has been edited by rashiner (edited 05-02-2006 @ 06:20 AM).]

posted 05-02-06 06:47 AM CT (US)     82 / 165  
posted 05-02-06 02:59 PM CT (US)     83 / 165  
yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy!
posted 05-02-06 03:09 PM CT (US)     84 / 165  
I am just kidding Viking, sorry if anyone took me seriously.

That's very good news, toolman.

[This message has been edited by Saint Mungo (edited 05-02-2006 @ 03:19 PM).]

posted 05-02-06 03:54 PM CT (US)     85 / 165  

Quoted from toolman's link: post 16:

- We will be using 1.0e as it's the safest patch that exists.

I think there could be an issue with that. I'd rather be using 1.0c. Although it good news that people are trying to replace zone, but we should wait until solutions like this are up and running before we judge them.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups. John Kenneth Galbraith.
posted 05-02-06 09:20 PM CT (US)     86 / 165  
Awwww.. Emperor mars is raining on my parade.
posted 05-03-06 01:00 AM CT (US)     87 / 165  
the whole removing aoe and aok/aoc from the zone is probably just some schemee to get more people to buy aoe3
posted 05-03-06 04:57 AM CT (US)     88 / 165  
"the whole removing aoe and aok/aoc from the zone is probably just some scheme to get more people to buy aoe3"

Ahem...(he is doing the clear-the-throat-sound)and then,
#mmmm#, #hmmmm#,
#mmmm,hhmmmm# (pretending that sings like Gauls do in Asterix's comix).
well, once I remember that said some negative things about AoE 3 with arguments, but I didn't reach that point,is easy to say it but difficult to prove it, stands though as an assumption pretty well. After seeing the patch number increasing too...

"Plato is dear to me, but dearer still is truth".
Aristotle.
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it".
Voltaire
"When the media ask George W. Bush a question, he answers, 'Can I use a lifeline?"
Robin Williams
posted 05-04-06 00:16 AM CT (US)     89 / 165  
It does seem unfortunate that the zone is shutting down their cd-rom games section altogether, but seeing as how AOC is the only game that sees much activity under the CD-ROM section these days, I'm not too surprised. I remember I used to play AOC quite a bit on the zone a few years back, it was great fun, but I never stood a chance against the guys there. I personally don't care for gamespy services either, so I would most likely look for alternative solutions.

The only real temporary solution I could think of is to set up a LAN network over the internet with Hamachi. When doing that, anybody logged onto your hamachi network can view and join games being played across the globe via the Local LAN TCP/IP connection box in the multiplayer menu.

Quote:

"the whole removing aoe and aok/aoc from the zone is probably just some scheme to get more people to buy aoe3"

AoE3 is quite a nice game, but I feel despite its improvements that it simply can't live up to the name of the second installment in the series.
posted 05-04-06 00:35 AM CT (US)     90 / 165  
has anyone else been to empireslegacy.com?

They seem to be on the right track.

-----------
posted 05-04-06 05:09 PM CT (US)     91 / 165  

Quote:

has anyone else been to empireslegacy.com?

They seem to be on the right track.

If that does become public, I heavily advise all of you to either not use their system at all, or at the very least, don't register a username with a password that's common to your email (or online banking, and so forth).

STEVE
Age of Kings Heaven, Myll Clan

* Learn the Flush -- So you know how to play the game.
* Play Online -- So you can actually play the game.
posted 05-04-06 05:09 PM CT (US)     92 / 165  
Yh i visited it 2day aswell. The site looks promising all they need is a helping hand
posted 05-05-06 00:23 AM CT (US)     93 / 165  

Quote:

If that does become public, I heavily advise all of you to either not use their system at all, or at the very least, don't register a username with a password that's common to your email (or online banking, and so forth).

why? do the makers have a bad history?

-----------
posted 05-05-06 05:30 AM CT (US)     94 / 165  
I think we all need to be patient and not get too excited. We still haven't heard what ES are going to do.

After reading the chat logs from the zone Q&A (http://empireslegacy.com/cl1.php and http://empireslegacy.com/cl2.php) it seem ES and MS are still talking. Although there was only two questions about AOK, both were given a standard reply of "see ES's website for info as we don't know". At the moment there isn't anything new on ES's website.

As for empireslegacy.com, the client is in an alpha build and IMO won't be ready for a while. And from the status page there is some serious work still to be done. There is alot of hype about this client and so big pressure on the guys making it.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups. John Kenneth Galbraith.
posted 05-05-06 10:11 AM CT (US)     95 / 165  
We should do vetev.com. It is as trustworthy as empireslegacy, and it will be up on Monday.

me

[This message has been edited by MeGaIdIoT (edited 05-05-2006 @ 10:57 AM).]

posted 05-05-06 03:12 PM CT (US)     96 / 165  
Great, we have over a billion people trying to do this, and we don't know if any one of them is trustworthy (despite what forumers say).

STEVE

posted 05-05-06 03:34 PM CT (US)     97 / 165  
I agree with Steve here. There seem to be alot of people coming out of the shadows who are completely unknown in the AoC community trying to make a new zone and I would take his advice and be wary of them.
posted 05-05-06 03:34 PM CT (US)     98 / 165  
Yes, you're right there, we don't know if any are trustworthy. What I meant is that they're just as trustworthy as empireslegacy, meaning that we don't know =/.

EDIT: vetev.com is trying to get a liecense, I probably won't use it until it does.

me

[This message has been edited by MeGaIdIoT (edited 05-05-2006 @ 03:37 PM).]

posted 05-05-06 03:38 PM CT (US)     99 / 165  

Quote:

What I meant is that they're just as trustworthy as empireslegacy, meaning that we don't know =/.

Oops, my bad. But anyhow, since ES has said they'll do something about it, I think they will actually do something about it. You might as well wait; I'm sure AoKH can come up with a small solution for everyone to still play ladder games for the time being (through IP, and by scheduling games over a forum thread).

STEVE

posted 05-06-06 10:29 AM CT (US)     100 / 165  
Woot, 100th post.

Anyway, I agree that we should just wait. We've still got a month-and-a-halfish before we really have to worry about it. If ES doesn't do anything by maybe June 14, then we should maybe start looking for other options.

That's my view, anyway...

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6 ··· 7  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » microsoft games will no longer support AOE and AOK/AOC matchmaking on the zone
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames