You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: In this topic, you will give crasher advice and be rewarded with screenshots!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
posted 08-29-03 09:00 PM CT (US)   
Okay kids, I haven't been around SD in a while. So now I'll make it up to you, if you'll give me a little help. We'll play a little game called "answer all the questions that crasher has, and he'll post a screenshot from the much awaited Immortal Prey." Sound like a fun game?

Ok let's get stareted-

1. I need lag-reducing tips. Give me all your secrets! I've seen people do things like, instead of having a looping trigger that directly plays a soundtrack, I've seen a looping trigger that activates another trigger with no conditions and the single effect "play sound". Does this reduce lag? I think it was Kestrels Campaign that I hacked to find that secret. (sry!) I'd like to know all you people's secrets concerning soundtrack lag reduction, because I want this campaign to be playable on the slowest of machines. And maybe later we'll have a slowest comp contest, and the winner will get to playtest. You never know! Ok next request...

2. How is progress on making the taunt to trig system save-and-reloadable? I mean, I have points in the game where you have to enter a number to continue, and if you're loading it from saved, it just dosen't work. I know that some are hard at work trying to figure this out, and I'd like to hear if there's light at the end of the tunnel.

(NEW question...)
3. Dang farms! They won't dissapear! (Invisible farm trick using the looping creator and the killer) Ughhh I don't understand it. The trigger works perfectly if I reveal the map and watch it while it happens. But if I just play the game and then come upon it, it's still visible. I think I've found a bug, is this known? I think you have to have the farm visible while it dissapears otherwise it won't dissaperar. How do I get by this? Is the only thing I can do to create a revealer next to it? The situaion is really not condusive to that method. Any suggestions?

That's all for now! Please help me out. And ummm, if this sounds like bribery, let me tell you, IT IS!

-Screenshots-

Yes, that's a dandelion.

-~(o)~-

Setting foot on unknown land. (Note- Many of these screenshots were taken many months ago, and things have changed a bit. This is from alpha!)

-~(o)~-

Just a little bit of terrain desig that I thought looked pleasant and slapped print scrn.

-~(o)~-

The plot thickens!

Okay folks, you've seen your fill! That's the last of it for ye!

[This message has been edited by crasher (edited 10-01-2003 @ 09:05 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-31-03 11:08 PM CT (US)     36 / 135  

Quote:

that's not fair! How come it's ok for crasher to look through all of OUR campaigns, but his has to be blocked.

I also think that it would be completely stupid if someone would lock his scenario in that way. It would erase the friendly atmosphere of the Heaven. What if Ingo van Thiel would do that to Ulio??

For lag: make sure that every trigger is active ONLY when it needs to be active; especially for looping triggers.

For taunt-system/reload bug: just as it was done in the "Lion and the Cat," give the player an alternative; or directly ask the player to set the chat to "all."

Edit (considering the new question): Do you mean, that you can see images of the farms behind the fog of war, or that the farms do not remove?

[ Your quote could be here! ]*

* Contact information included separately

[This message has been edited by WhiteWolf (edited 09-01-2003 @ 00:43 AM).]

posted 09-01-03 00:46 AM CT (US)     37 / 135  

Quote:

What if Ingo van Thiel would do that to Ulio??

Then people would have to guess what someone did to get the scenario effect, this, in turn inspires more creativity and therefore helps the community.

The "community" can also be consulted for problems relating to what you saw in a scenario and did not understand, this inherently benefitts the community with the discussion and makes everyone aware of the fact being discussed.

Crasher I hear you :-). keep pluging away I can't wait.

Philip Dunscombe .:. AoKH Forumer
Age of Kings Heaven .:. Copyright ©2002-2015
"On behalf of all of the real and imaginary forumers at Heaven Games, I would like to apologize for both the overall poor quality of that post and it drifting dangerously close to having some sort of social relevance. However, at least it was short."

[This message has been edited by Philip Dunscombe (edited 09-01-2003 @ 00:48 AM).]

posted 09-01-03 00:54 AM CT (US)     38 / 135  
New question, please help me out there... Oh and Kestrel, I found out why you might use that soundtrack trigger system. While I'm playing the game, sometimes I'll get double plays of a soundtrack. It happens when I shift from one soundtrack to the next, I use the effect "play sound" and then als activate the looping trigger for that sound. Sometimes I get a double play, even there aren't two effect that play the soundtrack. But if I activate a trigger that activates another trigger that plays the sound each time, then it never double plays!

Interesting discovery...

posted 09-01-03 00:54 AM CT (US)     39 / 135  
Ok, I agree. But then why only the elite gets to have the unit?

Edit (off-topic):

Quote:

with great power comes great responsibility

If I get great power, I will try to remember that!

[This message has been edited by WhiteWolf (edited 09-01-2003 @ 01:14 AM).]

posted 09-01-03 01:01 AM CT (US)     40 / 135  
Interesting indeed. Buggy triggers, I wonder if a trigger deactivating the music beforehand even if it was already deactivated would help cut down on the bug.

Quote:

Ok, I agree. But then why only the elite gets to have the unit?

I never said that :-). But just remember with great power comes great responsibility.

Philip Dunscombe .:. AoKH Forumer
Age of Kings Heaven .:. Copyright ©2002-2015
"On behalf of all of the real and imaginary forumers at Heaven Games, I would like to apologize for both the overall poor quality of that post and it drifting dangerously close to having some sort of social relevance. However, at least it was short."
posted 09-01-03 03:34 AM CT (US)     41 / 135  
posted 09-01-03 05:25 AM CT (US)     42 / 135  
Spiderman..?

Signed,
DaVe.
posted 09-01-03 07:05 AM CT (US)     43 / 135  
Hi Guys.
Crasher: To answer your question about over lapping music, if you use looped timed triggers for the music and deactivate them, then reactivate them later to continue the music, the timer will continue from the point it was stopped and not from the original time set. When you deactivate a timer trigger the time is paused and not reset, it only resets if the trigger is allowed to fire. Therefore you will get overlapping music when you reactivate it because the trigger is firing before it's supposed to. Anyway hope this helps. I look forward to seeing Immortal Prey at the blacksmiths.
posted 09-01-03 07:11 AM CT (US)     44 / 135  
@Phil: Well, can u send this mystery unit plz to me too?

~~~Member and Admin at DGDN~~~
Beta Asian Monastery Mod 4.5 | Old Stone 4.5 | Sacred Entrance Mod 5.0 | Stonehenge Mod 4.5 | Weapon Stack Mod 4.5
Battle of Mayapan 4.0 | The Paladin of Destiny 4.2
'Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.'
posted 09-01-03 10:50 AM CT (US)     45 / 135  
Wow. I never knew my doing things for no reason at all would have so much effect.

See, crasher? There's why not to use the ****ing mystery unit. You may stop discovery.

And I'll never use this unit, probably because Phil would be an ass to me and not give it to me, but aslo because I learned triggers from cracking open campaigns, and I have no intention of blocking people from looking through mine. If you've, gone through anyoneone else's campaigns, like MINE and ULIO, and ripped of TRIGGER IDEAS, then you are a ****ing hypocrite.

I mean, if you couldn't delete the first level of PC Driver, the game would be no fun...

You want fries with that?

[This message has been edited by LoserWithCoolName (edited 09-01-2003 @ 11:04 AM).]

posted 09-01-03 12:21 PM CT (US)     46 / 135  
Here it goes:

-> Trigger 0: Playing music
Starting State: Yes
Looping: No
Condition 0: (none)
Effect 0: Play sound (music)
Effect 1: Activate trigger = trigger 1

-> Trigger 1: Timer for music
Starting state: No
Looping: No
Condition 0: Timer = the time the music needs to be played (i.e. 100)
Effect 0: Activate trigger = trigger 0
Effect 1: Deactivate trigger = trigger 1

Hope this works!

posted 09-01-03 02:33 PM CT (US)     47 / 135  
ummm... Phil just said that he is quiting as a scenario designer! Hello???? Anyone home?

¯\/\\evo'_____________________________________
¯¯//¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
"i get more IM's from AOL System Message than from everyone else"-Anonymous

[This message has been edited by kevingamer _AcX_ (edited 09-01-2003 @ 02:33 PM).]

posted 09-01-03 03:01 PM CT (US)     48 / 135  
Uh, that's bad...

Anyway, have you read my post, crasher???

posted 09-01-03 03:02 PM CT (US)     49 / 135  
For question 3:
Yes, you must have the farm visible then remove it. I know it sucks...
Does anyone knows a solution?
posted 09-01-03 05:27 PM CT (US)     50 / 135  

Quote:

ummm... Phil just said that he is quiting as a scenario designer! Hello???? Anyone home?

I think he meant after he finishes AFOL.

/¯.:.:.:.±.:.:.:.¯\
(~.:|>The Dark Wind<|:.~)
Proud Member of DGDN
\_.:.:.:.±.:.:.:._/

posted 09-01-03 05:33 PM CT (US)     51 / 135  
Yep, I'm sure that is what he means.

Signed,
DaVe.
posted 09-03-03 01:54 AM CT (US)     52 / 135  
You know, Kestrel, I probably wouldn't end up putting something like that in my scenarios. If I had anything to hide, it would be the astonishing simplicity of my tricks and triggers. Haha I'm not a drs hacker, I'm just a designer. So rest assured, you'll probably end up being able to extract scx's... Heh cuz I mean if not, it wouldn't be fun, you wouldn't get to read my little notes to myself about how pissed I am at bugs and how happy I am when I hit a big trigger count.

And Cesar, thanks for the confirmation. I'm thinking, would it work to have the farm ownership player one and then change it to a different player real quick? I'll try that...

Hmm I think I have another screenie or two. Let me see....

posted 09-03-03 01:58 AM CT (US)     53 / 135  
You know, Kestrel, I probably wouldn't end up putting something like that in my scenarios.

I guess my whinning on AIM helped?

Signed,
DaVe.
posted 09-03-03 02:12 AM CT (US)     54 / 135  
Well mostly it was my discovering Kestrel's trick, I realize I can't betray the community like that. And you too Dave, you're a professional at annoying me. No just kidding but thanks for the advice, guys. If I can think up another question, I'll post one last screenshot for ya...
posted 09-05-03 03:30 PM CT (US)     55 / 135  

Quoted from Wayne's World:

Excellent!

posted 09-05-03 06:13 PM CT (US)     56 / 135  
*laughs*
Philip:
Not another upside down monk?

The other way of removing the trigger names and selector bars is a good deterrent too. Most will not be able to view them and those who can probably don't need to.

posted 09-05-03 06:21 PM CT (US)     57 / 135  
Not another upside down monk?

I hope... But unfortunately, I am taking Aro's word on this.

The other way of removing the trigger names and selector bars is a good deterrent too. Most will not be able to view them and those who can probably don't need to.

But if it were done to yours, or someone else like Crasher, etc., I'd be forced to... I just know there will be good stuff I need to learn.

Signed,
DaVe.

[This message has been edited by Tonto_DaVe (edited 09-06-2003 @ 05:02 AM).]

posted 09-05-03 07:17 PM CT (US)     58 / 135  
Thanks for the compliment Dave, but think tangled xmas tree lights when you think of my triggers. I have just reached the 800 mark and even I no longer know what half of them do.
posted 09-05-03 07:30 PM CT (US)     59 / 135  
I stopped naming my trigs at 60 in nobunaga

...also jumbled christmas lights, anastasia

edit: AOKSC members....HINT HINT

Nobunaga Campaign: 25% Complete
Working on: Second Son & Imagawa Campaign
Latest Accomplishment: Nobunaga's Unification! (whooee!)
"We're jolly green giants here....with guns!
-Craze
Stanly Kubrick's 'Full Metal Jacket'

[This message has been edited by Ixiom (edited 09-05-2003 @ 07:34 PM).]

posted 09-06-03 05:26 AM CT (US)     60 / 135  
I name all my triggers. I have done for some time. At 200+, it's much easier if they have clear names.
posted 09-06-03 09:59 AM CT (US)     61 / 135  
I name mine too! naming=1337

¯\/\\evo'_____________________________________
¯¯//¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
"i get more IM's from AOL System Message than from everyone else"-Anonymous
posted 09-06-03 11:46 AM CT (US)     62 / 135  
I've learned the hard way after Blacksun that naming triggers works wonders. Had I done that to 3, the bug would have been much easier to correct.

posted 09-06-03 04:51 PM CT (US)     63 / 135  

Quote:

At 200+, it's much easier if they have clear names.

At 1105, it's much easier if they have clear names.

Christmas lights won't cut it when you've got hundred trigger systems that are nothing less than sheer genius. Yeah I think I'll let your eyes pop out when you extract scx... Have a nice day! I thought of another question that was really bugging me, but I forgot it. But I'll remember it any minute now, I hope!

posted 09-24-03 06:02 PM CT (US)     64 / 135  
Hey, just wondering what you guys know about stuff like walkable cliffs and things. Apparently, having buildings over the cliffs and removing them makes them walkable but saving the game after they're removed will void the walkability. Is this true, and has there been development in fixing this problem? Also, concerning walkable water. I've used the "dirt / bridge middle / rotated cliff" trick to make a river that still looks like a river when you first see it, but won't be crossable until I want you to. Now concerning the savegame=void bug, I hear that the solution is dirt inderneath the bridge in the editor? (the bridge turns it to water at the beginning of the game, and then the bridge is removed a few seconds into the game...) This should work, right?

I've got one more screenshot if you kind people can clarify this for me...

posted 09-24-03 06:09 PM CT (US)     65 / 135  
Hey, just wondering what you guys know about stuff like walkable cliffs and things. Apparently, having buildings over the cliffs and removing them makes them walkable but saving the game after they're removed will void the walkability.

Unfortunately, yes, that is true. I'm not exactly sure about a cure for it.

Signed,
DaVe.
posted 09-24-03 06:18 PM CT (US)     66 / 135  
Hi Crasher, my advice is to only make the cliff walkable just before it's needed, thus avoiding save game issues, you can remove trees to make the cliff walkable, and it doesn't look as bad as a building on a cliff Also allow the player another route around, or give the player an option to remove the cliff with a taunt or clicked building.
posted 09-24-03 06:43 PM CT (US)     67 / 135  
Crasher, in the graveyard, how did you get the cross right in the middle the dirt. Every time i try to create a fresh grave either the cross jumps to the side or i have too much dirt, and it looks like i buried my car.

Clayper
Team Mentor for AOKH Communal Campaign
Proud DGDN Member
posted 09-24-03 07:10 PM CT (US)     68 / 135  
That takes a bit of manipulating. The gravestones, you're right, can only be placed at the corners of tiles. The grave you see has a stone placed, and then I make the dirt around it. It's important to have a constant terrain around the grave firstly, and then you should be able to figure it out pretty much. Just put the grave first and then make the dirt under it, unless you know what you're doing. The tile pattern is two by three, like this:

Excuse my lack of profesionalism... But inside the six tiles is the dirt 1 and outside them (14 tiles) is grass...

posted 09-24-03 07:22 PM CT (US)     69 / 135  
Hey crasher, can you please tell me how to do the light-from-window effect? If you already told me or if I have to look somewhere else, just post it here at least please. I've been waiting since like the stone age.
posted 09-24-03 08:20 PM CT (US)     70 / 135  
Hahah... First, tell me if you tried what I told you. Then, realize that when you've researched spies, you can see everything that an enemy creates. Even foundations. (hint hint) Set up a scenario, research spies, and place an enemy foundation in an area that is fog. Once you figure out how to get the sigle tile of light, well maybe just maybe I'll have the article done. (yes that was another hint)
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » In this topic, you will give crasher advice and be rewarded with screenshots!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames