Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: My Newest Project: Treasure Island
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
posted 07-06-04 11:20 AM CT (US)   
TREASURE ISLAND

Note- Stamford Bridge is done, so work will now continue on TI

I'm reading Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island for the second time, and i couldn't stop thinking about the possibilities of the story as an AoK campaign. It will consist of six scenarios, each based on a part of the book.

Part I: The Old Buccaneer: Map: 100% Done. -Mapshot- Triggers: 100% Done. Overall: 99.9% Testing in progress! is about 50% cutscene, and it describes the Old pirate's stay at the inn and how he is killed and the map is found,without a lot of unit action, but enough text to let the player understand.
Testing Slots: |Emperor_Julian | DA Crusader | ItalianHuskarl | YOSOYELARMY | Endoras_the_Elf |

SENT!

Part II: The Voyage: Map: 100% Triggers: 100% will have the ship set off and some dialouge describing the plans for the mutiny. You'll have to find the island on a giant ocean map. I have some great ideas for a navigation system for this, just check out "The Art of Sailing"
Testing Slots:|Emperor_Julian | DA Crusader | ItalianHuskarl | YOSOYELARMY | Dark_Blade | Aoc_Freako | Colosseum | WildCardDoW | Endoras_The_ Elf | reich |

SENT!!!!

Part III: My Shore Adventure: Map: 2% Triggers: 0%, will have you in control of Young Jim as explores the Island and finds Ben Gunn.

Part IV: The Stockade should prove to be very exciting and the most AoK-like. It will have the player in control of the Palisade-fort and they have to defend it from the pirates. I was thinking some thing like this: You start with a lot of food, wood, and stone (gunpowder and Ammo). Food goes away gradually as people eat it, like -1 food per person each 30 seconds. wood will be used for firewood. not having a fire will have some kind of penalty. You can gather wood by clicking dead trees. Stone will be used each time weapons are used (using the 'Object has target' trigger). Then there will be several waves of pirates. Also, Jim will return from his adventure.

Part V: My sea adventure will be very challenging since it take place almost entirely on two ships: One very small, the other much larger than a galleon. I'm considering just making it a cutscene, or some text incorporated into one of the other scenarios.

Part VI: Captain Silver describes how the treasure is found and how the book ends, it will probably be quite a long scenario.

Note that these are very brief overviews and the scenarios will contain much much more. I want someone who plays this to understand and know the story just as much as they would reading the book.

This could prove to quite a challenge. For instance: Since a lot of the sory has to do with ships, Aok's horribly misproportioned ships may be a problem. Since it's set in the 18th Century, the medevial look of most of units won't look good. Almost all of the fighting is done with muskets and cutlasses wich of course don't exactly look like any weapons in Aok. I'm thinking of hand cannons for a lot of guys, Samurai for silver, villager for jack, Woadies for a few pirates, Jannisary for the Squire, etc. I will also need a lot of sounds as this will make it a lot more enjoyable.

This project will take a lot of time and I dont exactly have 100% of my day free to the Computer. This project may never be finished, but hey, I'll do my best. Please post suggestions, as I will need them. Thanks.

Questions Section (Added 7/6/04)

Hey guys, I need some help:

1. I'm having some trouble with the "task Object" Trigger. Could someone explain the difference in 'set object' and 'set area', and can it be used to make units attack as well as move?

2. Is there a website were i can download common sounds (mp3. or wav.) like seagulls and ocean waves? Saw other thread

3. At the end of the book there is a cave filled with tons of gold bars, coins, jewels and other treasure. How can I make this scene? I'm thinking of sand floor with a dip in the middle and a rock edge around it to show the cave walls. For the gold, the best I can do (short of a modpack, which i have no idea how to do) is haystacks, relics, and gold mines. Will this be effective? any other suggestions (anything else yellow!!??)

4. I need one really big schooner and some really small rowboats. Any Ideas? (The little beta boat from AoE will work for the little ones.)

5. Off topic: how do you change the color of the text in a link?(I want to change TREASURE ISLAND at the top to yellow)

6. To create the effect of strong winds/currents/waves, could one use a looping task object trigger with large set areas?

7. What does 'description order' mean? Also, I have text in the 'scenario instructions' and I want it to stay there but it is removed as soon as the first objective appears. Help? thanks.

-Thanks

[This message has been edited by King Bob VI (edited 08-23-2004 @ 03:43 PM).]

Replies:
posted 07-28-04 12:08 PM CT (US)     106 / 141  
Hmm good scenario.Very nice sailing system king bob it made traveling by ship a little more fun. the scx was ok, no bugs for me this time.

YOSOYELARMY
THE ~~SPANIARD~~
creator of 2 design systems!!!
HOOAH
First to Fight
posted 07-28-04 10:06 PM CT (US)     107 / 141  
@KB6
Yeah I think your right, I also think you should add a boat or two and have a deck fight, where you have enemies boarding the ship and you have to fend them off for a set time. Maybe you could have a sceanario mainly for this event.

Current Projects:
Abandoned 3%
posted 07-29-04 09:24 AM CT (US)     108 / 141  
I don't think I want to add a battle in this scenario, but I'll definantly consider it later in the story.
posted 07-29-04 05:09 PM CT (US)     109 / 141  
Hey, you never sent me the second scenario...
simfelduv@hotmail.com

--
Best regards

Balazs
posted 07-29-04 08:45 PM CT (US)     110 / 141  
Kool, I think that would be a good part to add.
I would play it at least 4 times lol.

Current Projects:
Abandoned 3%
posted 07-30-04 08:36 AM CT (US)     111 / 141  
@reich: I thought I did, but I sent it again anyways. If it doesn't work this time, I guess there's a problem.
posted 07-31-04 01:16 PM CT (US)     112 / 141  
Sorry King Bob I was at camp I'll send you my ideas in a few minutes.

[EDIT] Hey KB6, I checked my email and nothing was there??? please send me #2 again. And I want to playtest #3.

~Ãû$tïñ Powrs~
INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY
Coolness:
Smartness:
Sexyness:

[This message has been edited by Emperor_Julian (edited 07-31-2004 @ 01:22 PM).]

posted 07-31-04 03:15 PM CT (US)     113 / 141  
I never sent it because you said you were away, but I did now. enjoy.
posted 07-31-04 04:13 PM CT (US)     114 / 141  
Nice, very nice. I'd give it a 4.2!!! There's only one little problem-sometimes you keep going in one direction and don't stop (it might have een my fault) this might be a bug.

~Ãû$tïñ Powrs~
Coolness:
Smartness:
Sexyness:
posted 08-02-04 08:00 AM CT (US)     115 / 141  
That would be the storm, lol.
posted 08-02-04 09:23 AM CT (US)     116 / 141  
Ahh Okay! You gotta post here more often I check these like every 20 minutes.

~Ãû$tïñ Powrs~
Coolness:
Smartness:
Sexyness:
posted 08-03-04 12:54 PM CT (US)     117 / 141  
Hey KB,
I'm sorry I haven't got back to you yet. I haven't had much of a chance to playtest, but trust me, I'll make sure I do soon.

D_B

Đąŗķ_ßļąđę - ĄőĶĦ Főŗųmmęŗ Şįŋčę 2003

an era of glory has passed - may the arcade live on
posted 08-04-04 03:48 PM CT (US)     118 / 141  
i could play test for the third one...if its not too early...

JesusFreak04
The Original Five Word Story
Five Word Story II: Rejuvenated
Proud Owner of post 2500 in The Original Five Word Story
Proud Owner of 1 Bajazillion Cybercookies
posted 08-04-04 04:35 PM CT (US)     119 / 141  
K, here's my playtesting results:

I think that to stop the user should be able to click the ship, then the user can see where they're going and don't have to keep bouncing back and forth to the corner if they see a hazard.

Also, a warning of impending danger and a description of when and how the ship is damaged wouldn't go amiss. I didn't know when or how I got damaged.

If the user tries to use the sextant but it is cloudy, perhaps a message could say why you have no reading, it took me a while to work out why (I know you put it in the instructions, but still.... ).

The cutscenes are good and well thought-out.

There is too much cluttering the map, the ship needs to stand out more, maybe yellow colour?

There were also some capitalisation mistakes in the cutscenes.

The tasks were a little simple too, but I can't think of a way to make it more involving.

When Jim hides in the barrel, afterwards he is named a villager. I assume you create and remove villagers for this. Maybe garrisoning inside the tower could fix this problem.

All in all, a good prospect, but needs a lot more interactivity and playtesting. Keep it up.

D_B

posted 08-05-04 08:56 AM CT (US)     120 / 141  
Thanks, D_B those suggestions are all very good. I will definantly look into changing it accordingly.
posted 08-08-04 01:24 PM CT (US)     121 / 141  
TI has been put on hold until Stamford Bridge is done (soon).

I also haven't recieved reports from several testers, so please try and do that. Thanks.

posted 08-08-04 05:11 PM CT (US)     122 / 141  
Just one other thing I thought of. If you stop the map being revealed it would be good, as one of the first things I did was find treasure island by scrolling over the map.

D_B

posted 08-14-04 11:33 AM CT (US)     123 / 141  
D_B:
?
the map was revealed? that must be a bug.
posted 08-14-04 11:56 AM CT (US)     124 / 141  
Where were you King Bob?

~Ãû$tïñ Powrs~
Coolness:
Smartness:
Sexyness:
posted 08-14-04 01:32 PM CT (US)     125 / 141  
Cleveland.
Btw, E_J, when you tested the Voyage, was the map revealed?
posted 08-14-04 01:47 PM CT (US)     126 / 141  
I said I would playtest, but I never got the scenario.

wildcarddow@hotmail.com

posted 08-14-04 01:53 PM CT (US)     127 / 141  
posted 08-14-04 04:00 PM CT (US)     128 / 141  

Quote:

Resent

What do you mean?

Maybe reveal map was a bug, I just figured you created it that way. I'm certain I didn't have marco polo on.

D_B

posted 08-14-04 04:16 PM CT (US)     129 / 141  

Quote:

What do you mean?

I was talking to Wildcard.

Quote:

Maybe reveal map was a bug, I just figured you created it that way. I'm certain I didn't have marco polo on.

Yeah, it must be a bug, I'm glad you said something. is all of the map revealed, or just some of it? I really can't think of a trigger that would cause that, other than a diplomacy problem (conscription is researched so that you can see the boat since it's not yours; so one of the players such as 'Miscellaneous' being an ally instead of neutral would reveal quite a bit of the map.) Look at the triggers maybe and see if you can tell. I'll check it out too. Did anyone else have this problem?

posted 08-14-04 04:36 PM CT (US)     130 / 141  

Quote:

is all of the map revealed

Yes, I'm afrid so.

Quote:

conscription is researched so that you can see the boat since it's not yours

I think you mean cartography? Conscription is researched at the castle and makes unit creation quicker.

Quote:

Look at the triggers maybe and see if you can tell

OK, but I can't do it today. I'll do it if I can.

D_B

posted 08-14-04 04:44 PM CT (US)     131 / 141  
Got it..

So thats three projects I am testing, actually two I am finished with one for now.

posted 08-14-04 05:02 PM CT (US)     132 / 141  
D_B:

Quote:

I think you mean cartography?

Yep.

This is weird...

You're absolutely sure you haven't marco poloed?
Try using marco polo and see if it unreveals it.

WildCard:

Quote:

Got it..

Good.

oh yea, check and see if the map is revealed, please.

posted 08-14-04 06:25 PM CT (US)     133 / 141  
No it wasn't it worked fine. Why r u asking?

~Ãû$tïñ Powrs~
Coolness:
Smartness:
Sexyness:
posted 08-14-04 11:25 PM CT (US)     134 / 141  

Quote:

3. At the end of the book there is a cave filled with tons of gold bars, coins, jewels and other treasure. How can I make this scene? I'm thinking of sand floor with a dip in the middle and a rock edge around it to show the cave walls. For the gold, the best I can do (short of a modpack, which i have no idea how to do) is haystacks, relics, and gold mines. Will this be effective? any other suggestions (anything else yellow!!??)

Cliffs make a nice cave effect. Broken carts are the only object that I can think of for more treasure stuff.
posted 08-15-04 07:07 AM CT (US)     135 / 141  
I will test the marco polo thing soon. TC is playing up for me at the mo though.

D_B

posted 08-17-04 03:33 PM CT (US)     136 / 141  
posted 08-23-04 03:43 PM CT (US)     137 / 141  
posted 08-23-04 05:12 PM CT (US)     138 / 141  
Here we go again! So whats happening in TI3?

~Ãû$tïñ Powrs~
Coolness:
Smartness:
Sexyness:
posted 08-27-04 03:17 PM CT (US)     139 / 141  
Great News! I've found some absolutely WONDERFUL MUSIC!
It fits the scenario like a glove.
posted 08-29-04 06:58 AM CT (US)     140 / 141  
its going to be great when do you think you will finish
posted 08-29-04 08:55 AM CT (US)     141 / 141  
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » My Newest Project: Treasure Island
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames