Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: ~~The Art of Sailing~~
posted 07-17-04 08:28 PM CT (US)   
~~~~~~~~~~~~~The Art of Sailing~~~~~~~~~~~~

A new system of sea navigation for the AoK scenario editor.

By: King Bob VI

As some of you know, my new campaign, Treasure Island, Is progressing nicely; the first scenario is done. I began work on the second scenario, entitled 'The Voyage' yesterday, and I've been thinking about it for quite a while. My problem was: "How do you make looking for an island on a giant water map with one ship fun and challenging?" And in my opinion, I have come up with a brilliant new solution.

Here's how it works:

A small corner of the map is turned into a "Navigation Center"

1. The first part is a palisade area representing a close up of the ship, used for unit action.

2. Another part of the Navigation Center is your instruments used for navigation. These instruments include a Sextant (represented by a scorpian, it is a tool used for navigation in the 18th century) that will tell you your longitude and latitude when clicked on, but only when the sky is clear (Thanks Pilot), because it uses heavenly bodies. (Good/Bad weather periods will be represented by another tool in the navigation center.) The triggers for it will be: Cond 1: Object in area (ship in area of a certain longitude and latitude.) Cond 2: object selected (sexant) Cond 3: object in area (Pavillon owned by the "Clear" player) Effect 1: Display Instructions (Your latitude and longitude). The longitude and latitude of the destination is given to the player beforehand.

3. The second instrument is the clear/clouds/storm indicator, with a pavillon that changes from the "clear" player to the "clouds" player and then the "storm" player at regular intervals. These will affect sextant use and maybe the wave and current patterns.

4. The fourth and most important tool is your Ship Steering wheel. Somewhat like a playstation controler, this is a pad with 10 palisades, each representing a direction: North, Northwest, West, etc. and stop. This works simply: when a palisade is selected, the ship is tasked the corresponding corner of the map. For example, If your ship is in the eastern corner of the map, and you select the "North" palisade, the ship won't go due north, but northwest, toward the northern corner of the map. At any time, you can change the ships course by clicking a different palisade, or click the pavillon to drop anchor and stop the ship.

5. The sea will be filled with currents and waves which are looping task object triggers with large 'set area' areas; and rocks and iceburgs that damage the ship.

Those are the basic elements, created with suprisingly few triggers. But to make an effective scenario, you need a good map and working triggers, as well as many additions of your own.

This system will be used in "The Voyage", part 2 of my new campaign, "Treasure Island". You can check out the thread here.

I have posted this so that other people and their campaigns can benefit from it, but if you intend to use this system I ask that you please do two things:

1.) Wait until I release Treasure Island. (Should be sometime in the next few months, It will be cleary made know of in the SD forum when it is released.)

2.) Drop a note somewhere in your work that the navigation system you used was based on King Bob VI's system.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by King Bob VI (edited 07-19-2004 @ 08:21 AM).]

Replies:
posted 07-17-04 08:30 PM CT (US)     1 / 28  
brilliant...

Wassup????
I Am...
ñdórås Thé lƒ
METC Design Teäm Loyalist
Random Quote
"If I'm white Chocolate, then that must mean Michael Jackson is Chocolate Milk." - Some Random person I met at camp
posted 07-17-04 09:45 PM CT (US)     2 / 28  
posted 07-17-04 10:01 PM CT (US)     3 / 28  
That is insane If it works, then you have my kudos.

How does the "steering pad" work though? Let's say you have the ship sail South, and so it goes South. Then you have it go West, but how does it go in the direction you want it to; what I mean is, if you want the ship to go South again, does it center back onto the point it was on the first time it was going South? Did you set a ton of Task Object triggers to do this? I'm confused.

ax_man1

Owner of a post 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500
Not all are in the same thread, but 4 of them are
posted 07-17-04 10:32 PM CT (US)     4 / 28  
Thanks, and the scenario isn't done but most of this stuff is, and it does work. To answer your question, it is simpler than that. When you press 'west' it tasks the ship to the western corner of the map, it probably wont be due west, unless you are in the center of the map. Does that help?
posted 07-17-04 10:32 PM CT (US)     5 / 28  
I tried that in another campaign that was wasted due to PC failure.
I can say that it works.
Here is another idea:
There is an style of "BETA" shoreless water that can be used...The interesting of that water is that you can make elevations without making land.So when the ship passes, it goes up and down, like in the waves...
Thy that.
Template by AZN_Paradox (i think) Is on the Market(utilities)

--
Best regards

Balazs
posted 07-17-04 11:28 PM CT (US)     6 / 28  
that sounds kool, confusing a bit, but kool this map(if it works) will be remembered as one of the best, by me anyways

Current Projects:
Abandoned 3%
posted 07-18-04 00:59 AM CT (US)     7 / 28  
so is he the first who created this??
posted 07-18-04 01:02 AM CT (US)     8 / 28  
Wow...if you can pull it off, it will be truely impressive. The navel aspect of combat is one area in which AoK is lacking.

/// (¬, (¯\ (¯¹ ¯)¯ (¯) )¬,
\\\ ==============
/// AoKH Forumer

posted 07-18-04 09:49 AM CT (US)     9 / 28  
I like your ideas, they are very creative.

The steering wheel idea, I have tried something similar, but not with boats, where you click objects to direct a unit. The main problem I found was that you had to keep changing your view away from the units your directing to change their direction. After a while this gets very annoying. What I did in the end was to leave the object-selected triggers in as a back up, and add a taunt system where the player types numbers to direct the units. This means the player has a choice on how they direct the units, and it allows you to direct the units while they are still in view. So you may want to consider this.

posted 07-18-04 11:49 AM CT (US)     10 / 28  
Hmm, not to dump water on the fire, but...
If I want the ship to go, for example, to the western corner of the map, all I have to do is direct it there on the minimap. I don't need to lose sight of the unit to go to the control pad or to the part of the map I want to go to.
Or am I missing the point somehow?

The sextant idea I love. Another but: as a sailor I can tell you that the sextant is also used during the day to find out when the sun is at it's zenith, or highest point, establishing when it is midday, which is crucial to navigation. So I don't see the point of not having it usable during the day.
But maybe you know that already and have your reasons...

posted 07-18-04 02:02 PM CT (US)     11 / 28  
Oh yeah, i forgot to mention that the ship does not belong to your player, so you can't move it normally.

about the sextant: thats just so it's harder. would it make more sense to use only during the day?

posted 07-18-04 03:23 PM CT (US)     12 / 28  
About the sextant...

It can be used at night too, to sight stars.

If you want to be realistic, you would have to limit sextant use with weather. When the sky is overcast, for whatever reason, a sextant is useless. Cloudy weather, fog, storm...
Sort of hard to implement, I would think.

Or maybe the sextant is broken and can only be repaired in a makeshift way that doesn't last long... but getting away from the real story then.

(EDIT: spelling)

[This message has been edited by aka the Pilot (edited 07-18-2004 @ 03:24 PM).]

posted 07-18-04 04:04 PM CT (US)     13 / 28  
OK, how about instead of Day/Night, There are several different weather conditions that affect both the currents and waves and sextant use? Thanks for the advice, btw.
posted 07-18-04 04:26 PM CT (US)     14 / 28  
Like I said, weather is the most realistic way to do it.

Having weather affect the current/wave height etc is great, but sounds like a lot of trigger work to me (I admit I haven't thought it through though, maybe it's not that bad...).

posted 07-18-04 05:36 PM CT (US)     15 / 28  
As I did before I will gladly playtest your scn King Bob and it sounds grea with this stuff added.

~Ãû$tïñ Powrs~
INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY
Coolness:
Smartness:
Sexyness:
posted 07-18-04 09:55 PM CT (US)     16 / 28  
i think this idea is pure briliance...when this campain is finished, i will try it out right away.i can testplay some maps if u like.e-mail to winston_ziggy_mac966@hotmail.com
sounds awesome

(¯`*-._Quickfire_.-*`¯)
(¯`*-._HeavenGames_.-*`¯)
(¯`*-._AddictingGames_.-*`¯)
(¯`*-._My Site (sucks, huh?)_.-*`¯)
(¯`*-._9=9, therefore i am great_.-*`¯)
(¯`*-._winner of 1 bajazillion cybercookies_.-*`¯)
posted 07-19-04 08:28 AM CT (US)     17 / 28  
Thanks everyone, keep it coming. Working on it is so DULL.

Quickfire and anyone else who volunteered for testing here were added to the testers list in my main Treasure Island Campaign.

posted 07-19-04 12:57 PM CT (US)     18 / 28  
This is a good idea Bob. I personally think that Berserkers taunt system would be a good addition to you campaign but that's up to you.

Also, when you reach the island, you might want to create land infront of your 'close-up' ship, using triggers, to simulate coming ashore, especially as the land that is created will be walkable sand (like a beach ).

Hope this helps, and I'd like to playtest it at some point if that would be OK with you.

D_B

Đąŗķ_ßļąđę - ĄőĶĦ Főŗųmmęŗ Şįŋčę 2003

an era of glory has passed - may the arcade live on
posted 07-19-04 11:34 PM CT (US)     19 / 28  
I got A LOT done today, and it looks like 'The Voyage' be arriving in the testers' inboxes sometime this week.
D_B was added to the testers list. To view the list click here.
posted 07-19-04 11:36 PM CT (US)     20 / 28  
Since you're my This Land comrade, I'll playtest the Voyage.
posted 07-19-04 11:54 PM CT (US)     21 / 28  
I'd also like to playtest.

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ T H E F R E A K O ________
· Proud Forumer of AOKH ·
posted 07-20-04 00:47 AM CT (US)     22 / 28  
Let me see...
simfelduv@hotmail.com

--
Best regards

Balazs
posted 07-20-04 01:24 AM CT (US)     23 / 28  
Oops.

aoc_freako@mail.com

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ T H E F R E A K O ________
· Proud Forumer of AOKH ·
posted 07-20-04 08:07 AM CT (US)     24 / 28  
Okay guys: Freako, reich and colo were added to the list. That makes eight. The next two people to post their E-Mail either here or at the Main TI thread get the last 2 slots.

[This message has been edited by King Bob VI (edited 07-20-2004 @ 08:10 AM).]

posted 07-20-04 09:36 AM CT (US)     25 / 28  
I'd like to playtest. thebobmiester12@AOL.com

Wassup????
I Am...
ñdórås Thé lƒ
METC Design Teäm Loyalist
Random Quote
"If I'm white Chocolate, then that must mean Michael Jackson is Chocolate Milk." - Some Random person I met at camp
posted 07-20-04 10:02 AM CT (US)     26 / 28  
posted 07-20-04 10:52 AM CT (US)     27 / 28  
Added you both to the list.
And I sent Endoras scen 1, since he gave me his e-mail.
posted 07-28-04 01:03 PM CT (US)     28 / 28  
I would also like to playtest...

jungle_man3003@yahoo.com.hk

or alternatively,

trex_kid@hotmail.com

Property is theft! Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

There is no human institution that approaches totalitarianism as closely as a business corporation. I mean, power is completely top-down. You can be inside it somewhere and you take orders from above and hand 'em down. Ultimately, it's in the hands of owners and investors. Noam Chomsky

An Anarchist Faq|Infoshop

[This message has been edited by Underpants Man (edited 07-28-2004 @ 01:04 PM).]

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » ~~The Art of Sailing~~
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames