Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: My Newest Project: Treasure Island
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 07-06-04 11:20 AM CT (US)   
TREASURE ISLAND

Note- Stamford Bridge is done, so work will now continue on TI

I'm reading Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island for the second time, and i couldn't stop thinking about the possibilities of the story as an AoK campaign. It will consist of six scenarios, each based on a part of the book.

Part I: The Old Buccaneer: Map: 100% Done. -Mapshot- Triggers: 100% Done. Overall: 99.9% Testing in progress! is about 50% cutscene, and it describes the Old pirate's stay at the inn and how he is killed and the map is found,without a lot of unit action, but enough text to let the player understand.
Testing Slots: |Emperor_Julian | DA Crusader | ItalianHuskarl | YOSOYELARMY | Endoras_the_Elf |

SENT!

Part II: The Voyage: Map: 100% Triggers: 100% will have the ship set off and some dialouge describing the plans for the mutiny. You'll have to find the island on a giant ocean map. I have some great ideas for a navigation system for this, just check out "The Art of Sailing"
Testing Slots:|Emperor_Julian | DA Crusader | ItalianHuskarl | YOSOYELARMY | Dark_Blade | Aoc_Freako | Colosseum | WildCardDoW | Endoras_The_ Elf | reich |

SENT!!!!

Part III: My Shore Adventure: Map: 2% Triggers: 0%, will have you in control of Young Jim as explores the Island and finds Ben Gunn.

Part IV: The Stockade should prove to be very exciting and the most AoK-like. It will have the player in control of the Palisade-fort and they have to defend it from the pirates. I was thinking some thing like this: You start with a lot of food, wood, and stone (gunpowder and Ammo). Food goes away gradually as people eat it, like -1 food per person each 30 seconds. wood will be used for firewood. not having a fire will have some kind of penalty. You can gather wood by clicking dead trees. Stone will be used each time weapons are used (using the 'Object has target' trigger). Then there will be several waves of pirates. Also, Jim will return from his adventure.

Part V: My sea adventure will be very challenging since it take place almost entirely on two ships: One very small, the other much larger than a galleon. I'm considering just making it a cutscene, or some text incorporated into one of the other scenarios.

Part VI: Captain Silver describes how the treasure is found and how the book ends, it will probably be quite a long scenario.

Note that these are very brief overviews and the scenarios will contain much much more. I want someone who plays this to understand and know the story just as much as they would reading the book.

This could prove to quite a challenge. For instance: Since a lot of the sory has to do with ships, Aok's horribly misproportioned ships may be a problem. Since it's set in the 18th Century, the medevial look of most of units won't look good. Almost all of the fighting is done with muskets and cutlasses wich of course don't exactly look like any weapons in Aok. I'm thinking of hand cannons for a lot of guys, Samurai for silver, villager for jack, Woadies for a few pirates, Jannisary for the Squire, etc. I will also need a lot of sounds as this will make it a lot more enjoyable.

This project will take a lot of time and I dont exactly have 100% of my day free to the Computer. This project may never be finished, but hey, I'll do my best. Please post suggestions, as I will need them. Thanks.

Questions Section (Added 7/6/04)

Hey guys, I need some help:

1. I'm having some trouble with the "task Object" Trigger. Could someone explain the difference in 'set object' and 'set area', and can it be used to make units attack as well as move?

2. Is there a website were i can download common sounds (mp3. or wav.) like seagulls and ocean waves? Saw other thread

3. At the end of the book there is a cave filled with tons of gold bars, coins, jewels and other treasure. How can I make this scene? I'm thinking of sand floor with a dip in the middle and a rock edge around it to show the cave walls. For the gold, the best I can do (short of a modpack, which i have no idea how to do) is haystacks, relics, and gold mines. Will this be effective? any other suggestions (anything else yellow!!??)

4. I need one really big schooner and some really small rowboats. Any Ideas? (The little beta boat from AoE will work for the little ones.)

5. Off topic: how do you change the color of the text in a link?(I want to change TREASURE ISLAND at the top to yellow)

6. To create the effect of strong winds/currents/waves, could one use a looping task object trigger with large set areas?

7. What does 'description order' mean? Also, I have text in the 'scenario instructions' and I want it to stay there but it is removed as soon as the first objective appears. Help? thanks.

-Thanks

[This message has been edited by King Bob VI (edited 08-23-2004 @ 03:43 PM).]

Replies:
posted 07-06-04 11:34 AM CT (US)     1 / 141  
Good luck! I'm sure it will be good!

I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead and everyday was as long as a life-age of the earth. But it was not the end. I've been sent back until my task is done...
... I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.
posted 07-07-04 01:37 AM CT (US)     2 / 141  
Interesting. But I think something like that would be better in another game, really... Though I think AoKs (And that means SWGBs) Scenario Editor is the best to use. Easy to learn, and with some trigger tricks you could have a big realistic naval battle.
posted 07-07-04 10:43 AM CT (US)     3 / 141  
Thanks, I hope it turns out well. Any advice from experienced scenario designers is more than welcome. My qualifications for scenario design (so you dont dismiss this a stupid n00b project that won't be worth playing) would include a pretty competent knowledge of the trigger system in AoK and an artistic eye that will make sure no corner of the map is dull, tacky, or unrealistic.
posted 07-07-04 10:47 AM CT (US)     4 / 141  
Just be patient, and be creative. Don't be afraid to try something new. This sounds like it will be a great project. Good luck.

I'm Your Daddy
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig.
Can't believe on back on this damned site again.
posted 07-07-04 02:10 PM CT (US)     5 / 141  
I've alway's been pretty perplexed by how to make realistic sea battles in aok. One is making a huge ship with cliffs and walls, but it wouldn't be able to move. Well, it could, but that would take thousands of triggers...

Wassup????
I Am...
ñdórås Thé lƒ
METC Design Teäm Loyalist
Random Quote
"If I'm white Chocolate, then that must mean Michael Jackson is Chocolate Milk." - Some Random person I met at camp
posted 07-08-04 02:39 AM CT (US)     6 / 141  
King, you said you need a lot of sounds? How about trying Akella's Sea Dogs? It has an enjoyable music, and I think there are sounds too.
posted 07-08-04 12:02 PM CT (US)     7 / 141  
My advice, have a resource such as stone or something replace cannonballs. Then you have different ways of obtaining these, then when a naval battle comes along, have both ships (if there are only 2. This can work for greater numbers, as well) be side by side, then you can use the exploding hawks or petards to show explosions. With every explosion you stone (cannonballs) go away 1 by 1. Each cannonball does 5 damage or something and that is the key to winning naval battles.

Also switch between a ship (AOK) and a zoomed in ship (with cliffs and walls). This way, you can do things like repairing things and other tasks.

good luck, and remember there is no boundary to the imagination!

I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead and everyday was as long as a life-age of the earth. But it was not the end. I've been sent back until my task is done...
... I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.
posted 07-08-04 01:20 PM CT (US)     8 / 141  
Yeah, I love Akella's Pirate sof the Caribbean. It has good music and lots of SFX. THis is like my POTC Campaign that Sarge never finished.
posted 07-08-04 02:41 PM CT (US)     9 / 141  
Sounds cool! When I was younger I read the book. This could make a good campaign but I don't think it could make 6 good scenarios-3 or 4 would be more appropriate.

Here are my scneario ideas-you don't have to use them they're just ideas.

SCN 1-Go to Squire Trelawney and explore Jim's hometown of Bristol (at least I think its Bristol), mybe get into fights with outlaws, run errands, etc.

SCN 2-Explore the island and find Ben Gunn

SCN 3-The Stockade idea you had

SCN 4-Find treasure (I don't remember the ending cuz I read the book like 3 years ago)

~Ãû$tïñ Powrs~
INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY
Coolness:
Smartness:
Sexyness:
posted 07-08-04 11:03 PM CT (US)     10 / 141  
Emperor_Julian
Yeah, I was thinking about that idea of only 3 or 4 scenarios, less work for me. And guys, I dont need a naval battle, there isn't one in the book. What I do need is one really big schooner and some really small rowboats.

Thanks for the suggestions, and help me with the questions i posted please. Thanks

posted 07-09-04 08:57 AM CT (US)     11 / 141  
For the schooner and rowboats I see three different options.

The first and most likely option is to use a Elite Cannon Galleon and some fishing ships as rowboats.

The Second option is to search the blacksmith for a schooner mod which is unlikely.

The Third and probably most unlikely, but the best option is to have soemone do a custom mod for you, or if u know anything about modding do one yourself.

~Ãû$tïñ Powrs~
Coolness:
Smartness:
Sexyness:
posted 07-09-04 04:35 PM CT (US)     12 / 141  
King Bob VI -
Answer on q1 - Seat object means that you select an object that will be tasked somewhere. While set area is a bit different. You must select an area, from which units will go somewhere (only from the area you selected).

Hope I helped

posted 07-10-04 08:05 AM CT (US)     13 / 141  
progress is good - I'm about halfway through the first scenario. It's all cutscene so far, but it's first class.
posted 07-10-04 04:23 PM CT (US)     14 / 141  
When your done with the first PLAYABLE scenario-post it in the blacksmith, i'd like to play it.

~Ãû$tïñ Powrs~
Coolness:
Smartness:
Sexyness:
posted 07-12-04 08:31 AM CT (US)     15 / 141  
I could Email it to you, but it's not done yet. I dont want to upload anything thats not finished
posted 07-12-04 10:33 AM CT (US)     16 / 141  
My advice is to do stockade attack like a sort of arcade game. Have 2 sorts of pirates: petards and woad raiders. Have 2 palisade circles. Make more pirates appear later on, so it gets harder, and simply have Captain Smollet and whoever else inside with ranged weapons. It'll be a bit like the defend the castle game. Also damage the palisades by 30 for every 60 seconds. That will ensure a good scenario. Well that's how I see it.

Also, if you are doing the apple barrel plot scene, give Jim 100 food, to represent the apples in the barrel. That will give a nice addition to the game.

posted 07-12-04 01:08 PM CT (US)     17 / 141  
I was thinking some thing like this: You start with a lot of food, wood, and stone (gunpowder and Ammo). Food goes away gradually as people eat it, like -1 food per person each 30 seconds. wood will be used for firewood. not having a fire will have some kind of penalty. You can gather wood by clicking dead trees. Stone will be used each time weapons are used (using the 'Object has target' trigger). Then there will be several waves of pirates.
posted 07-12-04 05:03 PM CT (US)     18 / 141  
There was a great 17th century mod with high palisades, musketeers and a cool building set but I forget what it was called (just so you know if you find it in the Blacksmith)

~Ãû$tïñ Powrs~
Coolness:
Smartness:
Sexyness:
posted 07-12-04 11:14 PM CT (US)     19 / 141  
Yeah, but Im not a big modpack fan. making do with what the editor has to offer is part of the challenge.
posted 07-13-04 02:10 AM CT (US)     20 / 141  
Nice screenshot I thought the map would look Noobish.I would be willing to help,but Ive never read this book.
rltw_2004@yahoo.com
posted 07-13-04 04:31 AM CT (US)     21 / 141  
Sounds very cool, if you need a playtester:

wietzze@hotmail.com

~~ItalianHuskarl~~
Current Project: Theo the Red - 40%
posted 07-13-04 08:08 AM CT (US)     22 / 141  
Thanks guys, I'll mail you when #1 is completely done.

Quote:

Nice screenshot I thought the map would look Noobish.

thanks. I have kind of an artistic background, so I doubt if any of my maps look like crap.

Quote:

I would be willing to help,but Ive never read this book.

That's Actually great because you can tell me if the way I present the story makes sense to someone who doesn't know it.

posted 07-13-04 09:04 AM CT (US)     23 / 141  
yo I'll playtest if u want

FreeRhymer22@msn.com

Current Projects:
Abandoned 3%
posted 07-13-04 09:30 AM CT (US)     24 / 141  
ill add something to my previous post,

you can mail me on italianhuskarl@hotmail.com too but preferable at

wietzze@hotmail.com

Thanks, and i hope i can playtest for ya

~~ItalianHuskarl~~
Current Project: Theo the Red - 40%
posted 07-13-04 11:57 AM CT (US)     25 / 141  
For treasure, rugs always make everything look grander. Also, Persian carpets and so on would have been quite valuable.

I've never read the classic, but this scenario sounds promising.

For the task object problem, set object tasks only the object you select, while set area tasks all the objects in the area you select. if you set location on an enemy, the unit will attack the enemy.

Someone's probably already answered that, but I don't have the time to check back through the thread.

posted 07-13-04 12:02 PM CT (US)     26 / 141  
Nice Mapshot I will definately download this campaign when its finished.

~Ãû$tïñ Powrs~
Coolness:
Smartness:
Sexyness:
posted 07-13-04 12:48 PM CT (US)     27 / 141  
Julian, I could E-Mail the first Scenario to you when it is done. (soon)

Quote:

For treasure, rugs always make everything look grander. Also, Persian carpets and so on would have been quite valuable.

Didn't think about carpets... that's good.

Quote:

For the task object problem, set object tasks only the object you select, while set area tasks all the objects in the area you select. if you set location on an enemy, the unit will attack the enemy. Someone's probably already answered that, but I don't have the time to check back through the thread.

Eh, kind of figured that out on my own. But thanks, I still wasn't sure about atttacking. Crossed it out from post.

posted 07-13-04 01:19 PM CT (US)     28 / 141  
Last Q: If you want this:

TREASURE ISLAND

just click the Edit This Message link above this message, and copy the BBCode.

M U S I C ! (& other random stuff)
posted 07-13-04 01:45 PM CT (US)     29 / 141  
Treasure = Relics, rugs, maybe broken carts......
posted 07-13-04 02:20 PM CT (US)     30 / 141  
After i tell you this you will worship me. I have the perfect mod for your campaign its called North America to Arms. It changes the buildings to palisade like buildings (good for your stockade level) but the units look kinda like reg army units not pirates, just check this out KB6.

~Ãû$tïñ Powrs~
Coolness:
Smartness:
Sexyness:
posted 07-13-04 11:29 PM CT (US)     31 / 141  
RIPMKIV9398 1987-

Thanks. {Edit: Whoa! not good against the yellow background, I'll change the color now that i know how.}

Emperor_Julian-
thanks for the suggestion but, well... I looked at the screenies and don't think this would work.

1. 18th century England and 18th Century North America are quite different in both builings and dress. The castle and imperial age buildings from AoK work fine for a small town n 18th century England. I'm sure they weren't all made from palisades like the newly constructed buildings in North America.

2. I suppose some of the units would work but the the nice uniforms and big black hats don't fit a bunch of guys on a Desert Island.

BUT...
I saw the big ship made from the beta hull with some good sails and I was drooling at it. but the bad far outways the good... and the trouble.

BTW, Emperor Julian, I saved a spot for you to test for me since you seem to be interested in this. Just post your E-Mail.

[This message has been edited by King Bob VI (edited 07-13-2004 @ 11:33 PM).]

posted 07-14-04 08:13 AM CT (US)     32 / 141  
Oh Well, I only checked out the mod a little bit and it turns out that the gun units weren't ranged and they still attacked like champions. Also heres my email Julianc867@yahoo.com (make sure the J is captialized-er whatever they call the big letters.

~Ãû$tïñ Powrs~
Coolness:
Smartness:
Sexyness:
posted 07-14-04 08:34 AM CT (US)     33 / 141  
Thanks E_J. Should be done in 2 or 3 days, depending on how much time I have.
BTW, In your signature, try deleting empty spaces to get rid of those annoying <br> that are popping up in everyone's sig all of a sudden

Guys, check out my ideas for "The Voyage":

Part II: The Voyage will have the ship set off and some dialouge describing the plans for the mutiny.You will have to find the island on a big ocean map. I have some great ideas for a navigation system for this:
1: Being able to check Longitude and latitude at will.
2: Clues about what part of the ocean you're in (ice in the north, palms on islands in the south).
3: Currents/Winds that make moving through some areas difficult or impossible.
4: Would this work?: a map included in the .zip folder that you can print out and use to help navigate.

posted 07-14-04 08:51 AM CT (US)     34 / 141  
Just so u know that br mean "break" which is like enter anmd messes up everything so I changed my sig. Oh and for your map idea what I would do is make a mapshot, include it with the .zip, make sure its a bmp, the person will be able to zoom in and out without having to print. Other than that-nice ideas.

~Ãû$tïñ Powrs~
Coolness:
Smartness:
Sexyness:
posted 07-14-04 09:02 AM CT (US)     35 / 141  
I dont think it should be a mapshot, that'd be too easy. I'm going to try and draw a old looking and somewhat unreliable map with clues and stuff written on it. Maybe even a kind of riddle you have to figure out, to make it challenging. And if people dont have a printer or dont want to print it, they can simply alt+tab and minimize the game.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » My Newest Project: Treasure Island
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames