Playing CD version when owning HD Edition

By: TriRem

Contents-
Section 1 – Compatibility patch
Section 2 – UserPatch and small fixes for Single Player
Section 3 – Multiplayer
Section 4 – HD expansions patch

Preface

With the release of the HD Edition in 2013, the Age of Empires playerbase has significantly increased, many players have (re)discovered the game via the HD Edition on Steam.
But unfortunately HD has some limitation, both in terms of performance or compatibility with UserPatch made contents. Whether you want to try the UserPatch for its performance, features, to try some of the great scenarios or mods that can't be played on HD, this article will explain exactly how to do so.
Note that all these patches do not affect AoE2:HD and you will be able to play both versions without problems.
All these patches are community made and all require a legitimate version of AoE2:HD to work.

I. Compatibility patch

The Compatibility Patch is a community created compatibility update for Age of Empires II HD to support the original The Conquerors.
First things first, go to www.aoccs.net and download that program. All you need to do is run it after downloading. If it doesn't find your AoK HD.exe, copy the installer into your Age2HD folder (If you don't know where it is: Right-click Age2HD in your steam library->Properties->Local Files Tab->Browse Local Files) and try running it again.

Once it is successfully installed, you can run the game here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Age2HD\age2_x1\age2_x1.exe

If you are only interested in playing Multiplayer, skip to step 3.

II. UserPatch and small fixes for Single Player

For how great the Compatibility Patch is, small adjustments are needed for properly playing single player.
-UserPatch
In its current version the Compatibility Patch doesn't automatically install the latest Userpatch version. You can download it here,
extract SetupAoC.exe to your Age2HD directory and then run the exe, with admin privilege if necessary.
-Language files
If you were to launch the game now you would notice some weird things such as civilization names being bugged. This is due to a bugged language file. It can easily be fixed by downloading the language you want here, and then replace the ones in your Age2HD folder by those.
-Terrain blending
The last thing needed is required for the game not to crash in the scenario editor when placing terrains. You have to replace blendomatic.dat in the /data folder with a copy of blendomatic_x1.dat : backup your blendomatic.dat, copy blendomatic_x1.dat and rename that copy blendomatic.dat .

Last but not least, the standard AI isn't included in the Compatibility patch. You will have to download a custom Ai and put it in the /Ai folder if you want to play vs the AI.

Here you go, you now have a fully working AoC version of Age of Empires with UserPatch installed.
If you want you can now download any mod or scenario designed in UserPatch and play them at will.

III. Multiplayer

While HD has an inbuilt multiplayer platform, the AoC version requires a third party program to create and join lobbies.
The main two being Voobly and GameRanger, both having active community and only relatively minor differences. Both have straightforward installations, just follow the instructions.
-Voobly
-GameRanger

IV. HD expansions patch

But what if you want more than just AoC and want to play the HD expansions civs as well ? Well it turns out you can !

Go to https://github.com/Jineapple/WololoKingdoms/releases and download the WololoKingdoms .zip file of the latest release (which will be at the top). Once it has downloaded, right click the .zip file and choose "extract here". This will unpack the converter, you should have a folder called "WololoKingdoms" afterwards. Then, open the folder and run the WololoKingdoms.exe. If you want to play the mod in single player you should check "create offline installation". It should find your HD installation automatically. If it doesn't copy the folder into your HD installation folder and run the exe again.
If it found your AoC installation, it will have installed the mod automatically. Otherwise, as the program will tell you, open the "out" folder. Inside, you'll see two folders called "Voobly Mods" and "Games". Copy these two folders, then paste them into the HD installation folder: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Age2HD
With that, the mod is running and functional!
To launch the mod in single player, go to /age2_x1 and run WK.exe

And here you have it, I hope I covered everything in this article but let me know in the comments if something was unclear.

Fluctuat nec mergitur.

[This message has been edited by TriRem (edited 08-03-2017 @ 03:23 AM).]

Replies:
posted 08-01-17 06:47 PM CT (US)     1 / 8  
I hope this article will be useful, I will do my best to update with every new version of the patches mentioned in the article.
Let me know if you have anything to add or find any mistake/typo.

Fluctuat nec mergitur.
posted 08-01-17 07:33 PM CT (US)     2 / 8  
Good article, thanks I was a bit fuzzy on the details of this patch since i owned both games already and didnt need it but this cleared it all up.
Note that all these patches do not affect AoE2:HD and you will be able to play both versions without problems.
Thats great! I had the impression before that you could have only one 'mode' working at a time.

This is good info to get out there, so maybe in a future contest we can have an modded only event and not exclude HD Edition only players. Ill definitely be referring to this article in the future

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel

[This message has been edited by Cataphract887 (edited 08-11-2017 @ 12:09 PM).]

posted 08-02-17 09:18 AM CT (US)     3 / 8  
Great article, TriRem

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 08-21-17 11:44 AM CT (US)     4 / 8  
Does this bring UP editor additions to the HD editor?

Co-creator and leader of Monsoon Studios

You are kneeling with your tongue out? What exactly do you think is going to happen here? - Matt

A drush is not a knockout punch; it is the first punch in a combo - Barbarossa
posted 08-21-17 12:43 PM CT (US)     5 / 8  
When i did this a few weeks ago i had to download language dlls first before installing userpatch. Dont know if everyone has to do that or just me

USA
katsup or mustard
posted 08-21-17 09:17 PM CT (US)     6 / 8  
I think HD added some of the Userpatch improvements to the game, but I doubt it has all of them, especially the new 1.5 improvements.

Which language files did you need to download? If you have the 1.0c patch installed I think you have all the files you need. I'm just curious.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 08-21-17 10:00 PM CT (US)     7 / 8  
https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe2/comments/6nykpf/how_to_install_compatibility_patch_and_userpatch/dkdgtuj/
JineappleAOE
There's a few things you need to do:
1. Copy the SetupAoC.exe into the Age2HD folder and run it. You can either install to age2_x1.exe or create a new age2_x1.5.exe
2. Go into the Age2HD/data folder, delete blendomatic.dat. Make a copy of blendomatic_x1.dat and rename that copy to blendomatic.dat (it should be 725 kb)
3. Download the language dll files from here: http://www.aoczone.net/viewtopic.php?p=41121 and replace the ones in the Age2HD folder with them.

USA
katsup or mustard

[This message has been edited by local boi (edited 08-21-2017 @ 10:04 PM).]

posted 08-22-17 09:25 AM CT (US)     8 / 8  
Ah, I didn't realize they changed how the language files worked in HD.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » The University » Playing CD version when owning HD Edition
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames