Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Project- The Tale of Nathaniel Alistair
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 05-10-14 10:50 PM CT (US)   
The Tale of Nathaniel Alistair pt. 1

Story-
Part one is the story of 18 year old Nathaniel Alistair, an unnaturally gifted soldier who leaves home to enlist in the County's elite militia, The Southern Guard. Sent on orders from the Guard Commander, Sir Henry, Alistair must travel throughout his beloved County alongside Knight Sir Oswald and a small band of Guardsmen to chase down an elusive bandit gang, learn dark rumors of the times to come, and discover the dark secret behind Nathaniel's superb skills and tactics.

Characters*-
1. Nathaniel Alistair: the protagonist, skilled at just about everything but is horrible in social situations, who values his Country above all else.
2. Sir Oswald: Nathaniel's lazy and fairly sarcastic new friend who is actually a promising young Knight.
3. Allayna: a bright young female who happily joins the group, she doesn't have a family and not much is known about her.
4. Jackson Alistair: Nathaniel's kind-hearted oldest brother, he recently lost his family to the sickness. As a result, he gladly jumps on the chance to spend time with his brother.
5. Abbot Gregory: the mean-spirited and pragmatic leader of Innishire's celebrated Monastery.
6. Sir Henry: the middle-aged knight who through hard work and loyal service now commands the Guard, he is often at odds with Sir Oswald, who is almost his complete opposite.
7. Count Thomas: the dark and reclusive Lord of Innishire, he resides in his Castle located at Innishire's center.
8. Sir William: a stubborn and intelligent officer who leads the far southern army outpost on the coast.
9. Sir Robert: a bland and quiet officer who leads the army's central outpost.
10. Rolaf Eriksson: the cruel and cunning Nord who leads the bandit army notorious for terrorizing countrysides all over Britain.
11. General Bertrand: the silent and talented general who commands the French army, he quite literally only talks in one-word sentences.
*This is not all of them, just some of the more important ones.

Progress-
Triggers- 2% (I'm still doing the opening cutscene)
Map Design- 70-80% (Just need to add some units, eye candy, quest locations, a small village, and another bandit camp)
Mods- N/A (Regular Scenario Editor)
Script- 100%
Total- 5-10% (Doing the triggers will take a LOT of time)

[This message has been edited by TeutonicLongbow (edited 06-17-2014 @ 11:00 AM).]

Replies:
posted 06-12-14 07:17 AM CT (US)     36 / 52  
The last screenshot is really fun- no spoilers on what you do. I had to edit the script because originally, that place was just for a sidequest, so I changed it where you have to go there.
posted 06-12-14 07:39 AM CT (US)     37 / 52  
Looks good! I quite like the haunted village. I would strongly suggest you use "Display instructions" for all the dialogue, though. Chat messages are harder to read, allow for less text, and disappear automatically after a while. "Display instructions" gives you greater control as a designer, and makes it much easier for the player to follow what's going on!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 06-12-14 09:59 AM CT (US)     38 / 52  
I've gone through and changed all of the dialogue thus far to display instructions, the pics just don't show it because I didn't want to flood the thread with the same pics, but with different ways of displaying text.
posted 06-12-14 03:28 PM CT (US)     39 / 52  
Sorry, just testing if I could double-post yet.

I can!

[This message has been edited by TeutonicLongbow (edited 06-12-2014 @ 03:28 PM).]

posted 06-12-14 03:54 PM CT (US)     40 / 52  
You technically can, but you generally shouldn't.
I've gone through and changed all of the dialogue thus far to display instructions, the pics just don't show it because I didn't want to flood the thread with the same pics, but with different ways of displaying text.
Ah, alright then!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 06-12-14 06:58 PM CT (US)     41 / 52  
I just wanted to make sure I could reboot the thread if I had to.
posted 06-18-14 03:23 PM CT (US)     42 / 52  
I messed up. I placed a bunch of Heavy Swordsmen down (I was bored and intended to delete them) and then they became invisible and won't delete! I've used a remove object trigger to remove them immediately after the game starts, but then it paints a hidden bandit camp involving a sidequest on the minimap! How can I delete them more permanently?

Also, I've edited the first post, showing progress, a revised story, and some characters.
posted 06-18-14 04:05 PM CT (US)     43 / 52  
Just use erase units, or paste grass (from mapcopy) upon them.

The Fall of Hummaria -- Teaser [4.2] -- Project's Thread
Cavern Pirates -- The Treasure Hunt [4.6] -- Captain's Revenge
My Blacksmith

[This message has been edited by Rewaider (edited 06-18-2014 @ 04:05 PM).]

posted 06-18-14 04:24 PM CT (US)     44 / 52  
Or delete him through TriggerStudio.
posted 06-19-14 03:16 AM CT (US)     45 / 52  
Pressing ctrl+a will reveal the outlines of all units and objects in the scenario. Then you can either delete or mapcopy over them like Rewaider said.

This is also a useful trick for removing map revealers, btw.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 06-19-14 08:27 AM CT (US)     46 / 52  
Thank you! It worked! I ctrl/a'd to find them, then map copied terrain over them!

Also, quick poll, what unit should Alistair be?

Some options are Longbow, Halb, Champ, Pal, Hussar, HCA, etc. If he should be a particular hero unit, just say.

[This message has been edited by TKaniac (edited 06-19-2014 @ 03:09 PM).]

posted 06-26-14 10:30 AM CT (US)     47 / 52  
Some updates about map design. After much consideration, I have changed almost every road to 1/2 tiles wide, used the broken option (only the Lord and the monastery keep regular roads), and placed dirt 1 around them. Also, I removed the paths from the Guard base, mixed the forests, map-copied a bunch of buildings, made my GAIA objects less over-crowded in spots, added interesting new sidequest locations, made use of elevation more, added ponds and clearings to the forests, added deer and wildlife, changed the name of the city (now it is Raven's Rock), changed the name of the region to East Sussex (the name of the actual area where the scenario takes place), among many other things! Map design is essentially done, and I can finally start work on the extensive triggerwork I'll be using.
EDIT: I've also fixed the opening cutscene where you can't control the protagonist (mostly, a few times force me to give you slight control). The campaign will be told through the eyes of Jackson Alistair many years following the campaign. And is it possible for a mod to change the thread's author to me, since I am TeutonicLongbow, but can't use that account. It makes editing the OP quite difficult.
The overall story will probably be 6 parts:
1. A role-playing level with sidequests.
2. An DTS type scenario, followed by some FF.
3. A cutscene scenario released with 2.
4. A B&D type scenario with sidequests and stuff.
5. An FF type scenario (probably) that ends the playable story.
6. An epilogue cutscene released with 5 explaining the fate of Nathaniel.

[This message has been edited by TKaniac (edited 06-26-2014 @ 10:43 AM).]

posted 06-27-14 05:10 AM CT (US)     48 / 52  
Why can't you use your old account?

posted 06-27-14 09:55 AM CT (US)     49 / 52  
I used to use Internet Explorer, but it got really bugged and wouldn't let me post on forums, so I switched to Chrome. When I did, it wouldn't let me send an email to get the password for my old account, so I just made a new one. And I tried to go back and do it with my old browser, but it signed me out and I had forgotten the password.
Also, I've scrapped the opening cutscene's progress (maybe 90 triggers thus far) so I can completely redo it. So trigger progress is down to 0%.
EDIT: In half of the chronological progress I'd reached previously, I hit as many triggers.

[This message has been edited by TKaniac (edited 06-27-2014 @ 08:28 PM).]

posted 07-30-14 02:04 PM CT (US)     50 / 52  
The opening cutscene is finished, and I can start actually making the game! Yah! Hopefully I'll have it ready for playtesting before Christmas. Although, I can't play during the week once school starts in a week and I'll have Band on the weekends, so I might not.

Oh, and I accidentally deleted one of my data files for one in the MGC Duck Hunt, so I replaced it with a copy of my AoK HD data files. Its the one that controls unit names and BETA units, so now I can't place any more BETAs. Is there a way to get the original back?
posted 07-31-14 10:11 PM CT (US)     51 / 52  
You certainly could get the original data file back by a reinstall.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 08-03-14 06:02 PM CT (US)     52 / 52  
Update!

I've finished the opening cutscene, first 3 main objectives, and added the first 4 sidequests. Also, several story-related cutscenes have been created. I need to finish the last 10-15 sidequests, add the rest of the main objectives, and do a tad more sprucing up before I'm finished.

Everything I've put in so far I've tested extensively and the only bugs I can find are an exploit on the Horse Quest, and the ending for the first battle firing a bit soon.

I'm putting my progress at a healthy 25 percent!

Also, as to the difficulty, it is quite difficult because the bandits have many bands and you only slightly outnumber each individual one. Plus, they have the same techs as you, so you don't have an armor advantage. I've also made it so that if any hero dies, you lose, and they can be taken out by a swarm if you don't protect them. I'm thinking about adding some dynamics so the bandits have less troops on lower difficulties.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Project- The Tale of Nathaniel Alistair
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames