Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Project: Dragon's Head, Serpent's Tail
posted 01-03-16 06:53 PM CT (US)   
Dragon's Head, Serpent's Tail
The Siege of Haengju

30,000 samurai. 3,000 militia. A battle to decide the fate of three kingdoms.

"After my birth, a soothsayer foretold that all the lands the sun shone on would be mine when I became a man, and that
my fame would spread beyond the four seas... It has been my boast to lose no favorable opportunity, and, taking wings like
a dragon, I have subdued the East, chastised the West, punished the South, and smitten the North. Victories have
attended my life, which has been like the rising sun illuminating the whole earth.

Man cannot outlive his hundred years, so why would I sit chafing on this island? I will make a leap and land in China
and lay my laws upon her!

Should I carry out this purpose, Korea will be my vanguard. Let her not fail to do so, for my friendship with your country
depends solely on your conduct as I lead my army against China."

- Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Letter to the Korean King, 1589

Features (by the numbers)
  • 45 minutes of action-packed gameplay!
  • 300+ triggers!
  • 52 voiced lines of dialogue!
  • 8 historical samurai to vanquish!
  • 2 Korean heroes to recruit!
  • 2 cinematics!
  • 3 difficulty settings!
  • 8 challenges to conquer!

In 1592, Toyotomi Hideyoshi invaded the Joseon Kingdom of Korea with 158,000 crack samurai and ashigaru. The mighty daimyo had consolidated his power in Japan laying the foundations for what he hoped would be an Asian empire. Before conquering China and the lands of Southeast Asia, Hideyoshi needed to establish a foothold on the mountainous peninsula of Korea. This small kingdom was almost an after-thought to Hideyoshi and his generals. Neither the Japanese nor the Ming Chinese who came to Joseon's aid expected much from the hermit kingdom. Known for their long-sleeved scholars and jade-glazed pottery, the Koreans were unlikely opponents to challenge Hideyoshi's elite samurai hardened by a century of war. What were a kingdom of bureaucrats and potters to the samurai clans?

The Japanese were relentless, seizing the Korean capital in mere months. With the kingdom on the verge of ruin, the Ming Emperor Wanli dispatched a Chinese army under Li Rusong to slow the invasion. In January 1593, however, this army was defeated by the Japanese at Byeokjegwan. With Korea's defense now reduced to militias, 30,000 victorious samurai continued their northward advance to a small mountain fortress on the Han River known as Haengju. There, a fifty-five year old civil servant turned militia leader named Kwon Yul and 3,000 Koreans prepared the defenses.

This small band would be the last stand of a hermit kingdom. Their destiny would decide the fate of all Asia.

Coming to the Defend the Spot 2016 Contest (requires The African Kingdoms)

History
    The Imjin War was a series of Japanese invasions of the Korean peninsula in the 1590's. The first invasion, which began in 1592, resulted in the rapid occupation of most of the Korean peninsula. By year end, Japanese armies reached the Yalu and Tumen Rivers, Korea's border with the Jurchen tribes of Manchuria, and prepared for the invasion of Ming China.

The combination of Chinese reinforcements, naval victories by the Korean admiral Yi Sun-Sin, and a successful guerilla warfare campaign by Korean militias slowed and finally pushed back the Japanese tide. Korean victories at Jinju, Hansan Island, and Haengju, in which outnumbered Koreans repelled and defeated Japanese forces, were watershed moments in the war.

The Uibyeong, or Righteous Armies, were irregular militias which defended the Korean kingdom. Consisting of peasants, scholars, government officials, and Buddhist warrior monks, the Righteous Armies were critical to the survival of the kingdom after the regular army was defeated in the opening weeks of the invasion. Japanse commanders had anticipated that the defeat of the national army would result in the swift submission of the Korean populace and were surprised by the resiliency of Korean resistance.

High Definition

[This message has been edited by Al_Kharn the Great (edited 03-12-2016 @ 08:50 AM).]

• Replies:
    posted 01-03-16 10:03 PM CT (US)     1 / 30  
    This looks quite cool! I especially like the use of the free-placement feature to stick the units on the steps of the Temple of Heaven object.

Fun fact: back in the early versions of FE (the mod for the CD version), Cysion had included a few scenarios on very small (I think 50x50 or thereabouts) maps. One of them was themed around the Siege of Haengju and, though also a DTS, the design style was quite different and was more of a tower defense map than a DTS. I'm quite interested to see your take on the topic, as you always manage to come up with something unique and novel

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
    posted 01-04-16 08:14 AM CT (US)     2 / 30  
    Koreans have a really cool history, which seems to have a lot of incidents like this. I read a story (I think it was accurate ) where supposedly a hundred Koreans held ten thousand Chinese off for a week in a small town/outpost, long enough for the main Korean army to start marching that way.

"It looks like a huge shark just took a bite out of Excelsior's ass"-Colonel Kyle Riggs, Star Force: Storm Assault
    posted 01-04-16 08:22 PM CT (US)     3 / 30  
    Koreans have a really cool history, which seems to have a lot of incidents like this. I read a story (I think it was accurate ) where supposedly a hundred Koreans held ten thousand Chinese off for a week in a small town/outpost, long enough for the main Korean army to start marching that way.
    That the Koreans have had many moments like this is to our detriment today as it is unfortunately historical motivation for the behavior of North Korea.

This is a civilization which has always been caught between more powerful neighbors (Japan, China, and, during the Middle Ages, the Mongols). Compared to their neighbors, the Koreans were not particularly martial but the geography of the Korean peninsula (hot/humid summers, frigid/wet winters, with arduous mountainous terrain) probably assisted Korea's defense against far more numerous and powerful invaders and build an espirit of stubborn resistance.

[This message has been edited by Al_Kharn the Great (edited 01-04-2016 @ 08:22 PM).]

posted 01-12-16 09:36 PM CT (US)     4 / 30  
    nm

[This message has been edited by Al_Kharn the Great (edited 01-31-2016 @ 09:52 PM).]

posted 01-13-16 10:56 AM CT (US)     5 / 30  
    Nice video! Did you do the voice acting yourself?

~ Forgotten Empires ~

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
    posted 01-13-16 04:53 PM CT (US)     6 / 30  
    Yes. Hopefully, SkyBox can fix the bugs because movies don't currently play either.

I won't be doing the voice acting for the gameplay dialogue. I have an alternative idea.
    posted 01-14-16 11:02 AM CT (US)     7 / 30  
    In that case, it's even more impressive!
    Hopefully, SkyBox can fix the bugs because movies don't currently play either.
    Indeed... I can watch the .avi files outside of the game, though, so if it's still bugged I'll do that.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 01-15-16 06:14 PM CT (US)     8 / 30  
    Nocturne, Alexei Arwinson, and I have posted the issues with campaigns on the support forum but we need Cysion to report the bugs.

The speech is a very slightly adapted translation of Hideyoshi's actual letter to the Koreans.
    posted 01-15-16 08:59 PM CT (US)     9 / 30  
    I won't be doing the voice acting for the gameplay dialogue. I have an alternative idea.
    After further consideration, I've decided to do the voice acting for the narrations myself. The actual dialogue spoken by the characters will have a more authentic feel.
    posted 01-16-16 10:10 AM CT (US)     10 / 30  
    Nocturne, Alexei Arwinson, and I have posted the issues with campaigns on the support forum but we need Cysion to report the bugs.
    To be honest I'm fairly sure nobody with the power to accomplish any sort of change actually reads the steam forums (at least thoroughly and consistently), so most of what gets said there is missed. The MS community team is active there but their role is primarily promotion and community liaison (often placation ), not development. The best thing you can do is to compile a buglist and post it in the 'Bug Reports' thread on the FEF.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 01-20-16 11:27 AM CT (US)     11 / 30  
    Hey there, fascinating scenario. I was wondering if you could post more pictures of the introductory screenshot below? I would like to look more closely at the modified King unit placed on the monument. It appears you have modified the graphics of the King unit and it appears fascinating? Could you upload that in the Steam Workshop?

Domus Dulcis Domus --- Home Sweet Home...ZzZzZzZzZ
    posted 01-20-16 11:39 AM CT (US)     12 / 30  
    That's the King graphic for Asian civs on African Kingdoms.

Looks very good, Al_Kharn, looking forward to it when the contest is over.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
    My Works
    ¡Viva México!
    My Coat of Arms

[This message has been edited by Mithril Knight (edited 01-20-2016 @ 11:40 AM).]

posted 01-22-16 07:25 PM CT (US)     13 / 30  
    I know pretty much everyone who posts here is affiliated with the contest but if anyone's left and would like to beta test this scenario, I would appreciate it!
    posted 01-22-16 08:21 PM CT (US)     14 / 30  
    I can, I'm not into the contest. Can I play this in Age II HD? How?

Forumer since June 2000
    My blog: Cedê Silva
    I use Chrome
    Winner of MemoryMe´s Urinal thread
    "Ah, the three categories of women: crazy and desperate; sane and unavailable; a perfect match from an entirely different generation." - Pelly
    posted 01-22-16 08:25 PM CT (US)     15 / 30  
    Do you have the African Kingdoms DLC?

If so, send a friend request to me here and I'll send you the link.

[This message has been edited by Al_Kharn the Great (edited 01-22-2016 @ 08:43 PM).]

posted 01-24-16 07:41 PM CT (US)     16 / 30  
    Thanks, done. On Steam I am cede.silva

Forumer since June 2000
    I use Chrome
    "Ah, the three categories of women: crazy and desperate; sane and unavailable; a perfect match from an entirely different generation." - Pelly
    posted 01-24-16 09:33 PM CT (US)     17 / 30  
    I sent you a message with the link. Thanks again.
    posted 01-25-16 06:42 PM CT (US)     18 / 30  
    I am now trying to open it on Steam!

Forumer since June 2000
    I use Chrome
    posted 01-26-16 05:28 PM CT (US)     19 / 30  
    I posted my comments on Steam.
    posted 01-27-16 07:21 PM CT (US)     20 / 30  
    Thank you!
    posted 01-31-16 07:57 PM CT (US)     21 / 30  
    I re-made the intro video re-recording my lines:

If you heard the original, tell me if it's an improvement.

[This message has been edited by Al_Kharn the Great (edited 02-08-2016 @ 08:35 PM).]

posted 01-31-16 09:59 PM CT (US)     22 / 30  
    Doidimais Brasil did a great job playtesting and providing recommendations. If anyone is up for it, I could use some more playtesting to get the balance right.
    posted 02-01-16 03:39 AM CT (US)     23 / 30  
    posted 02-18-16 10:08 PM CT (US)     24 / 30  
    Features (by the numbers)
  • 45 minutes of action-packed gameplay!
  • 300+ triggers!
  • 52 voiced lines of dialogue!
  • 8 historical samurai to vanquish!
  • 2 Korean heroes to recruit!
  • 2 cinematics!
  • 3 difficulty settings!
  • 8 challenges to conquer!

[This message has been edited by Al_Kharn the Great (edited 02-23-2016 @ 10:56 PM).]

• posted 02-18-16 10:50 PM CT (US)     25 / 30  
    That's disgusting. At least if you are going to be so rude as to finish early it could be like a fifty trigger scenario.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
    posted 02-18-16 11:01 PM CT (US)     26 / 30  
    I could have had more but I largely eschewed triggered sequences. There's a couple scripted events but the enemy unit creation and attacks are all AI driven (and not via AI signals).

[This message has been edited by Al_Kharn the Great (edited 02-18-2016 @ 11:03 PM).]

posted 02-19-16 01:45 PM CT (US)     27 / 30  
    Sounds rather interesting! I'm sure I'll have fun playing this, regardless of the current state of HD

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 02-22-16 04:01 PM CT (US)     28 / 30  
    Up to over 300 triggers now and 52 lines of dialogue.

Anyone else interested in playtesting? Doidamas did a good job but I could always use a new perspective especially since I have made some changes.

Anyone with HD interested? Add me on Steam HERE and I'll send you the link to the most recent private version on the Workshop.

It's a sneak peek at the next DTS runner-up
    posted 12-11-16 07:10 PM CT (US)     29 / 30  
    Hey, this scenario was released, so, it should be clasified as finished in the forge, it shouldn´t?

[This message has been edited by adamnesico (edited 12-11-2016 @ 07:14 PM).]

posted 12-12-16 01:43 AM CT (US)     30 / 30  
    The forge is currently very out of date. This scenario is one of many that have been completed and are listed there as incomplete.

Time of Tea
    Still in the Dark Age
    Don't be a melodramatic clown. ~Mr Wednesday
    Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Project: Dragon's Head, Serpent's Tail
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames