Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Work-in-Progress Spotlight XXXIV: Jack of Hearts
posted 07-12-15 06:54 PM CT (US)   
Well, well, well...it isn't often lately that the Work-in-Progress Spotlight makes its way to our news page, but hopefully this will change. We as staff are establishing a new rotation of features, ensuring that at least one feature article will be released every month. This month's feature focuses the spotlight on Jack of Hearts, a campaign by King Leorick. Most of us fondly remember La Hire from the ES Joan of Arc campaign, and King Leorick has decided to create a whole RPG campaign that focuses on the historical life of this hero, known under the French name Etienne de Vignolles. Taking inspiration from games like Diablo and Baldur's Gate, King Leorick has spent well over a year crafting this RPG campaign. The first chapter, completed a few months ago, allows the player gets to experience the hero's life as a young man whose life is turned upside down when he kills a man in his village. Chapter 2, currently in progress picks up a couple years after his departure from his home, retelling his life as a mercenary and finally participating in the tournament at Toulouse.

Unlike some RPG scenario projects, Jack of Hearts looks to be a promising campaign that will find completion. The campaign features cinematics before each scenario like the ES campaigns as well as RPG features such as side quests, an inventory system, and many items for sale. To learn more about the project, I happily was able to interview King Leorick about it:

What inspired you to want to tell La Hire's story?

King Leorick: Well, I never heard about him until I played the campaign of Joan of Arc, and hearing this unit who said: "Ahh, La Hire wishes to kill something!", It made me laugh! He's the only one with personalized voices, so cool!...I think I'm not the only one that loves this character!

What are the advantages and disadvantages of creating a campaign based on a historical figure?

King Leorick: The disadvantages are great! I've had to study again...7 years after the last time! You must respect dates, historical characters, events, and often, realistic environments. The other side of the same medal is that you have a trace to follow, and you don't have to invent it. Once you find all you need, the disadvantages become advantages!

What makes you interested in the RPG scenario genre, and did you make any new twists with the genre for your campaign?

King Leorick: Since I was a child, I've always loved games like Diablo, Baldur's Gate or Mu fight...they cost me lots of mouses and keyboards...! The first time I've seen the RPG genre applicable to the Conquerors, I could not resist! The difficult part wasn't creating things already seen, but new features like a dynamic Inventory or a system of random events, or a complete system of Experience points... All in the right way to ensure a nice game. I hope I've done this!

What did you learn from making Chapter 1, and how has that helped you when working on Chapter 2?

King Leorick: Surely the order! In both case! In the first Chapter it wasn't one of the best, but in this one where I'm working on I, myself, promise to do everything with great order! This means: Notepad and well defined Triggers. The fact that all Chapters are connected helps me to preserve the same settings of the RPG genre, so, the same triggers, except those who the adventures propose in every chapter.

And now of course for some screenshots for Chapter 2:

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´

[This message has been edited by Leif Ericson (edited 07-12-2015 @ 06:57 PM).]

Replies:
posted 07-12-15 06:55 PM CT (US)     1 / 12  
We decided to start crossposting some of our features and news posts in case some people don't read posts in the news forum.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 07-12-15 07:27 PM CT (US)     2 / 12  
Great write-up. Nice to see such a promising project getting the publicity it deserves!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frćndr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauđan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 07-13-15 09:54 AM CT (US)     3 / 12  
How far along is this?

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 07-13-15 10:57 AM CT (US)     4 / 12  
Part 2 is 20% done, according to the project thread.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

"Deyr fé, deyja frćndr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauđan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 07-13-15 12:32 PM CT (US)     5 / 12  
It's a honor to see my creation on a spotlight! Thanks Leif Ericson!
The first chapter was my debut, now with the second one, I have to increase the fun and reduce the wait time...A word!

Thanks to HokeySam18! The first place of the supporters is your! ; )
And thanks to all who have played at the Chapter I and are waiting for this new one!

@Mr Wednesday:
The wait of pleasure is the pleasure itself : P
posted 07-13-15 12:45 PM CT (US)     6 / 12  
The wait of pleasure is the pleasure itself : P
If that's true, the pleasure from waiting for Tales of Middle Earth must be orgasmic. But the comments I get usually imply otherwise. So...no

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 07-13-15 02:55 PM CT (US)     7 / 12  
This looks nice! Good luck with your project, Leorick!

HockeySam, good spotlight and nice to see it posted here. I presume mod spotlights will be cross-posted in the mod forum as well?
If that's true, the pleasure from waiting for Tales of Middle Earth must be orgasmic. But the comments I get usually imply otherwise. So...no
Have you been receiving death threats again?

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
posted 07-13-15 05:36 PM CT (US)     8 / 12  
Credit goes to Leif for writing the spotlight, btw.

Matt's suggestion from the news post thread sounds good. I'll lock that topic and edit the OP of that topic to link to this one.

The crossposting while having a locked topic in the news forum that links to the discussion thread in the SD or modding forum (depending on the type of project) seems like a perfect system to me

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 07-13-15 06:29 PM CT (US)     9 / 12  
I presume mod spotlights will be cross-posted in the mod forum as well?
Correct.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 07-13-15 11:59 PM CT (US)     10 / 12  
Best of luck with this, King Leorick! As I previously stated in the project thread, I'm looking forward to seeing its completion.

-•|•- StormWind Studios -•|•- Blacksmith Files -•|•- Fabula Fatalis -•|•-

"No more gold lights for the queen earth to keep you warm in your kingdoms,
high on the waves you make for us, but not since you left have the waves come."
posted 07-14-15 08:32 AM CT (US)     11 / 12  
posted 07-15-15 05:58 AM CT (US)     12 / 12  
Thanks to everyone, guys!

I'll go ahead on THIS thread to write updates about my project!

(Now I must prove to Mr Wednesday that he is wrong, about the pleasure!) : P
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Work-in-Progress Spotlight XXXIV: Jack of Hearts
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames