You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Satyrs are not a total waste.
posted 07 November 2004 01:07 PM EDT (US)   
I posted this on another thread so I thought it would make nice thread here:

I noticed the other day that a bunch of satyrs actually do pretty well against titans. I think the reason is that since the titans have such monstrosity of pierce armor is not the attack of the satyr that does well but the actual amount javelins that they are able to throw in such a short time since they all count as a pierce attack. I tested all the ranged Myth units against a Titan. I used 5 of the same Myth units on the titan and the Satyr was the 4 best ranged myth units in the game (It actually did better than the manticore!). These are the results
Note: I used no upgrades since you don't always get them during a game. I also used no micro and all five of the units stood around the Titan not next to each other.

Results:
1) Fire giants= took 2,081 hit points away from the titan!
2) Medusa= took 862 hit points
3) Petsuchos= took 780 hit points
4) Satyr= took 485 hit points
5) Lampades= took 479 hit points
6) Manticore= took 447 hit points
7) Troll= took 342 hit points
8) Wadjet= took 235 hit points
9) Mummy= took 199 hit points (very disappointing)
10) Centaur= took 132 hit points

One last thing to note about the Satyr is that it was the third ranged myth unit that survived the longest agianst the Titan right after the Petsuchos and the Fire giants, and since the Satyr's special tech allows them to throw more javelins they do more damege to the titans.

Also In the end game is more easy to have many units than the early game as you have more TCs and a better economy. 4 fire giants take 20pop space, 4 Petsuchos 16pop, 4 Medusas 20pop and 4 Satyrs just 12pop. If you equal the pop for all the units then Satyrs should be closer to the medusa in damage.-G3_

EDIT: Even though flying myth units are ranged I could not test them because I measured how good the myth unit was until they died fighting the Titan. Therefore since the Titan can not attack the myth units directly* I could not test them, but in theory you could kill a Titan with just one Phoenix.

*The titan does affect the flying myth units hit points though but only when they are over or very near the titan while the titan is attacking ground units/buildings.

[This message has been edited by Titanus (edited 11-08-2004 @ 06:52 PM).]

Replies:
posted 07 November 2004 01:30 PM EDT (US)     1 / 30  
Id still rather have a behemoth.
posted 07 November 2004 02:04 PM EDT (US)     2 / 30  
How about Chimera?
posted 07 November 2004 02:15 PM EDT (US)     3 / 30  

Quote:

I tested all the ranged Myth units against a Titan.

i will only complicate you - trust in me and fall as well
posted 07 November 2004 03:56 PM EDT (US)     4 / 30  
Doesnt the chimeras special attack work on titans? The special attack is ranged.
posted 07 November 2004 04:06 PM EDT (US)     5 / 30  
^^Yes but never the less the chimera is a melee unit.^^

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost five seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

posted 07 November 2004 04:36 PM EDT (US)     6 / 30  
u forgot the stymop bird. its a range unit, although its flying.

posted 07 November 2004 04:43 PM EDT (US)     7 / 30  
Yay! Good find, something original it is. I'll remember this, especiall if the satyr is used with some sort of meatshield.

Nick: Eten.
Gods: All of them!
Vanilla.
posted 07 November 2004 04:59 PM EDT (US)     8 / 30  
With the Satyr upgrade I bet they'd do even more damage.
posted 07 November 2004 06:45 PM EDT (US)     9 / 30  
phoenix
posted 08 November 2004 08:09 AM EDT (US)     10 / 30  
The test is great. I just want to add something:

In the end game is more easy to have many units than the early game as you have more TCs and a better economy. 4 fire giants take 20pop space, 4 Petsuchos 16pop, 4 Medusas 20pop and 4 Satyrs just 12pop. If you equal the pop for all the units then Satyrs should be closer to the medusa in damage.

I still feel the Satyr have the same use the Troll have. I would create 6 heros with the 18 favor that cost a Satyr, but I agree isn't a total waste.

posted 08 November 2004 08:20 AM EDT (US)     11 / 30  
Satyrs are pretty good, especially against inf. I hope this guide will get more people to pick Hyperion as a result.
posted 08 November 2004 06:40 PM EDT (US)     12 / 30  
added.

Theris264
former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
posted 08 November 2004 11:22 PM EDT (US)     13 / 30  
I cant believe medusas did so much damage! And Lampshades! That alone is good discovery.
Satyr actually is pretty good, i have always used them vs myth units. Theyre decent vs weak armor humans too. Has anyone vever massed them? Quite effective if you do a FH cuz theyre strong enough to kill classical units.

I told you I'd be back.
posted 09 November 2004 04:21 AM EDT (US)     14 / 30  
lol, it's lampades...

The Oden King
-LFS--LTA-
posted 09 November 2004 05:22 AM EDT (US)     15 / 30  
Don't Fire Giants have ranged hack damage?

I don't think Satyrs are too bad if you rush up to Heroic, although otherwise I wouldn't use them.

posted 09 November 2004 12:52 PM EDT (US)     16 / 30  
Fire Giant stats:

Cost: 300 gold 35 favor
Population: 5
Hack Damage: 15
Crush Damage: 10
Damage x0.25 vs Heroes
Range: 14 meters
HP: 600
Hack Armor: 60%
Pierce Armor: 80%
Crush Armor: 80%
Speed: 3.2 meters/second
Line of sight: 18 meters
Training time: 24 seconds

Special attack:
Releases 3 fireballs. Each fireball does 25 hack damage to each unit it touches, and travels for 14 range. Requires 15 seconds to recharge.

[This message has been edited by Peter1x9 (edited 11-09-2004 @ 12:54 PM).]

posted 09 November 2004 01:54 PM EDT (US)     17 / 30  
Does what type of damage fire giants do matter? They're still ranged units.
posted 09 November 2004 02:39 PM EDT (US)     18 / 30  
yes

If you look at the stats of a titan, it has more pierce armor than hack armor.
Most ranged attacks in the game are piercing and don't do as much damage on a Titan as hack attacks. The norse are unique in that they have some ranged units that do hack damage: Throwing Axemen and Fire giants.

posted 09 November 2004 03:52 PM EDT (US)     19 / 30  

Quote:

2) Medusa= took 862 hit points
3) Petsuchos= took 780 hit points
4) Satyr= took 485 hit points
5) Lampades= took 479 hit points
6) Manticore= took 447 hit points
7) Troll= took 342 hit points
8) Wadjet= took 235 hit points
9) Mummy= took 199 hit points (very disappointing)
10) Centaur= took 132 hit points

Looking at pure statistics, yes, Satyr are not the worst against other Myth Units. However, think of other things as well.

The Satyr is ridiculously overpriced. Sure, Atlantean can acquire an excess of wood, but even then, I would never make Satyr when going against a Titan. I would make Heka-gigantes or something. If you talked about how the Satyr individually is just as good as the other Myth units of the Atlantean line against the Titan (which it's not), then I could give you credit. However, you just put the Satyr against ranged units as a whole.

Many other things can play in as well; not the least of which include Micromanagement, the enemy's army (which likely consists of Heroes, in which case Satyr = dead in 2 hits), etc.

Btw, this was just meant to be constructive criticism.

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
posted 09 November 2004 04:27 PM EDT (US)     20 / 30  
Well I know that this guide wont make you choose Hyperion from now on. I was trying to show the rest of the community which ranged myth units to use aginst Titans and which not to waste resources on and that the Satyrs are not complete whimps.

Quote:

Btw, this was just meant to be constructive criticism.

Don't worry I like feed back wether is good or bad.

Eventhough the Fire giants do hack damage the titan still deflects 89% of the attack and if you know your math you'll know what that means coming from an attack of 15.

[This message has been edited by Titanus (edited 11-09-2004 @ 04:29 PM).]

posted 10 November 2004 06:29 AM EDT (US)     21 / 30  
well I doubt anyone people will ever really go Hyperion for the Satyr although I'm no atty player I always quite liked Heroic renuel tech though.

[This message has been edited by DB_iLLwiLL (edited 11-10-2004 @ 06:30 AM).]

posted 11 November 2004 01:00 AM EDT (US)     22 / 30  
Interesting test.

However the thing to keep in mind is that Hyperion's herioc GP is virtually worthless and both behemoths and stymph birds are much better MU.

The only real reason to go Hyperion would be if you were Kronos on water agaisnt a scylla spam (nerieds are rediculously good against other water MU, and I mean rediculously good)otherwise stymph birds are just pretty good against scylla and techs and GP favor Theia.

posted 11 November 2004 01:57 AM EDT (US)     23 / 30  
I always figured if satyrs had 50 more hitpoints, did spalsh damage, or was 40 less wood, they'd be worth it. As they stand, they can be used in niche roles, appearantly including titan-killing (which is suprising and interesting knowlege), but I'd hardly choose a myth unit because it kills titans. I like my myth units to mop the floor with the enemies human soldiers, topple some forts and come back for more. I don't think that the satyr is quite up to that.
posted 11 November 2004 02:28 AM EDT (US)     24 / 30  

Quote:

Cost: 300 gold 35 favor
Population: 5
Hack Damage: 15
Crush Damage: 10
Damage x0.25 vs Heroes
Range: 14 meters
HP: 600
Hack Armor: 60%
Pierce Armor: 80%
Crush Armor: 80%

Test it in editor...the fact is FG deals almost double damage to all units (around 30 hack & 20 crush per second)

posted 11 November 2004 08:36 AM EDT (US)     25 / 30  
Forgetting that FG's attack with both their hands in quick succesion, aren't we?

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
posted 11 November 2004 10:44 AM EDT (US)     26 / 30  
The 10 crush damage is something to. It'll do 1 attack same if the units armor is 100%

I think FOG.
posted 22 January 2005 01:11 PM EDT (US)     27 / 30  
Nice, you should really do a non-ranged test.

/mzhao
posted 22 January 2005 03:16 PM EDT (US)     28 / 30  
satyrs are amazing against loads o cramped infantry

also doing a non ranged test would be pointless because

the units would get creamed

posted 22 January 2005 05:07 PM EDT (US)     29 / 30  
Yea, satyrs rock when massed vs tons of TAs..

Satyrs dont suck, but behemoths+traitor or hesperides+stymphs are ALWAYS better than satyrs+chaos. Not your fault, its ESīs.

Even on medit vs a Zeus FHer, Id rather go semi-FH with biremes+heroic fleet than nereids. Gets them every time.

posted 25 January 2005 01:03 PM EDT (US)     30 / 30  

Quote:

Nice, you should really do a non-ranged test.

I originally wanted to do it with all the units in the game but most of them failed miserably. Than i tried using only myth units and agian even the mighties didn't dop so hot and eventually i only left the ranged ones that above avarage. I am thinking of coming back to AoM (I am Halo 2 and BFME right now) and do some more guides (specially a titan killing guide (anybody know where I can get the most up to date stats for units?(I don't have the last update of the game(a lot of brackets ayy)))).

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost five seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Satyrs are not a total waste.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames